Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We won three regular season titles under Barnes.

Guess Barnes just struggles to win Conference Tournament Finals...... At Texas 0-6 in Finals

Think he won 1 at Providence (1994)

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Guess Barnes just can't win  Conference Tournament Finals......

Yeah, it was annoying.

I've always said that regular season titles mean more than conference tourney titles. But we slipped in the regular season after 2011, and then we didn't win in the real tournament either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

So Tenn is a lock for a 2-seed right? Should be an easy pick to get upset in the 2nd round. Betting against a Barnes coached team when the stakes are highest is easy money, as today is proving once again. 

His tourney record as a 1 or 2 seed is 10-3 with a final four and two Elite 8's you moron. This coming from the guy who hadn't even heard of several MLB all stars until they actually made the all star team, yet claims to be a fan of the MLB. shocker.

@Clintonaldo i'm just going to tag you in every single example of this until you get it. "why can't everyone just know the facts like derka? lulz". that post hasn't aged well and it's only been 10 minutes.  

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

So Tenn is a lock for a 2-seed right? Should be an easy pick to get upset in the 2nd round. Betting against a Barnes coached team when the stakes are highest is easy money, as today is proving once again. 

also, were the stakes not high yesterday when they beat Kentucky? 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. 995 out of 1000 college basketball fans have a misinformed opinion of Barnes. Why cant they be as aware of the objectively correct facts like Derka. 

did you have anything relevant or substantive or even logical to say, or was that it? who do you think knows more about Rick Barnes' record as a HC- me or the your average CBB fan who never watch Tennessee play? Real great post there genius. I'd expect nothing less from a Vols fan who's been unable to enjoy Rick's tenure. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh look.  Big Game Barnes getting worked by a lower seed in a tourney.  A lower seed that's had to play an extra game I might add.  And there's Derka telling everyone they're stupid for calling it.  Some things never change.

hilarious last line of your post. what you've said about me is 100% false, yet you believe it. some things never change.

i tell you what- the silver lining of Tennessee losing is knowing that Barnes is already one of the best coaches they've ever had and you morons are too fucking woe-is-me to even appreciate any of the good he's brought. if Tennessee does go out early i'll be happy to know that your ungrateful ass is once again miserable.

Edited by Goo Punch

20 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Durant, Ford, Thompson, Aldridge, etc and we couldn’t win a regular season or tournament championship. That just blows me

lol except that we won three regular season titles under Barnes and that includes teams led by players you've listed.

@Clintonaldo keep your head in the sand bro. this is the millionth example of me knowing the facts in the face of popular perception, but hey, just keep ignoring the facts. as long as you and your buddies agree to ignore them then you'll always be right. 

• Like 2

lol except that we won three regular season titles under Barnes and that includes teams led by players you've listed.
[mention=1080]Clintonaldo[/mention] keep your head in the sand bro. this is the millionth example of me knowing the facts in the face of popular perception, but hey, just keep ignoring the facts. as long as you and your buddies agree to ignore them then you'll always be right. 

The fact is Auburn pushed our shit in with an ex coach that loves us. If it takes a million times then maybe my head isn’t in the sand. Barnes is a fine coach but this loss is an indictment at the moment on him being elite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

The fact is Auburn pushed our shit in with an ex coach that loves us. If it takes a million times then maybe my head isn’t in the sand. Barnes is a fine coach but this loss is an indictment at the moment on him being elite.

you have a team full of players who nobody wanted, a team who a year and half ago was supposed to be one of the worst in major college basketball, and all they've done since then is outperform expectations *literally* more than any program in the country and yet and you and your fans just want to bitch about what's not going right. about losing a tourney final.

wake up. enjoy what's happening. stop choosing to be miserable when your program is exceeding your own wildest expectations. or is this what you pictured when Barnes was hired? You expected Tennessee to go 55-14 in years 3 and 4 of the Barnes era. Yeah. That's the ticket.

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

did you have anything relevant or substantive or even logical to say, or was that it? who do you think knows more about Rick Barnes' record as a HC- me or the your average CBB fan who never watch Tennessee play? Real great post there genius. I'd expect nothing less from a Vols fan who's been unable to enjoy Rick's tenure. 

Lulz. I only have a couple of college degrees, but they were both earned here at UT Austin. So fuck off with that Vols fan bullshit.

And my point still stands. You think you know more than 995 out of 1000 basketball fans, but in reality your just another message board jagoff like the rest of us. Nobody cares that you wear Rick Barnes pajamas to bed every night. You are wrong as often as you are correct. You just never stop fucking crowing about it. Ever. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Barnes Texas teams were 0-6 in B12 Tourney Finals.

People seem to forget this little stat.  Also the fact during the last few season under Rick, we would hit the shit fan as soon as January came around.  We'd kick the shit out of almost everyone including some signature wins in November and December and then look awful against the Baylor's and TCU's who really sucked back then.  

The last few seasons under Rick almost mirrored football under Mack.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. I only have a couple of college degrees, but they were both earned here at UT Austin. So fuck off with that Vols fan bullshit.

And my point still stands. You think you know more than 995 out of 1000 basketball fans, but in reality your just another message board jagoff like the rest of us. Nobody cares that you wear Rick Barnes pajamas to bed every night. You are wrong as often as you are correct. You just never stop fucking crowing about it. Ever. 

wrong. again. total bullshit. what you're saying doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. i absolutely know more about rick barnes than 99% of college hoops fans, and that point is so obvious that it's hilarious and bewildering that you would even argue it. 

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it's amazing to me how many of our "fans" don't really know shit about the program.

which is the only point i keep making. everyone here knows that i obsess over this program and it's former coach, and yet these Vols fans keep hitting me with, "Sure Derka, you're the one who knows more about Barnes than a bunch of random cbb fans who unlike you have not been obsessively following him for two decades. sure derka, lulz. you know more than they do for sure."

???? i mean, yeah, i do. to say otherwise is abjectly preposterous, but like i've said, as long as the majority keeps believing they are right then they will continue to be self deluded in the face of actual facts and hard data. 

which btw, not to go all cloak room here,  it i saw a video of a former KGB scientist who was commenting on mind control, and he said something that really stuck with me: "it's easy to do, because people reject facts and hard data which don't support what they want to believe." case in point here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I don't think anyone has claimed he's elite, just undervalued. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

undervalued and under appreciated. Barnes has exceeded Vols fans' wildest expectations and yet they refuse to enjoy it and choose to just bitch and moan instead. i hope their next coach is college basketball's version of Jeff Fisher.

This sums everything up-

Tennessee makes an amazing comeback win vs Kentucky yesterday and literally 9/10 of the posts about game if not more were made by a UK fan and a Longhorn fan. Vols fans were AWOL. Then the Vols lose today and suddenly NOW their fans show up full of hot takes. Brilliant. 

Y'all don't deserve Barnes, Scho, Grant, Bone, the SEC title, the 26 and 30 win seasons- none of it. It's so ridiculous that if y'all do go one and done i'll just be here like, "welp, you got what clearly wanted. enjoy it mofos."

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

hilarious last line of your post. what you've said about me is 100% false, yet you believe it. some things never change.

i tell you what- the silver lining of Tennessee losing is knowing that Barnes is already one of the best coaches they've ever had and you morons are too fucking woe-is-me to even appreciate any of the good he's brought. if Tennessee does go out early i'll be happy to know that your ungrateful ass is once again miserable.

If you're so goddamn smart, how come you can't figure out the "HORN" in "knoxtnhorn".  I'm a Texas alum that lived in Knoxville for 20 years - hence the name.  I don't give two shits about the Vols or our ex coach.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Oh look.  Big Game Barnes getting worked by a lower seed in a tourney.  A lower seed that's had to play an extra game I might add.  And there's Derka telling everyone they're stupid for calling it.  Some things never change.

You have to give me credit. I was way ahead of this. 

• Like 1

And Derka.  You bring this shit on yourself.  Search this and Shaggy and see how often I've gotten into an argument with anyone on either site.  I don't do CR and I rarely, if ever, bitch at anyone.  I sure as hell don't name-call.  That being said, your holier-than-thou attitude about Rick Barnes rubs folks the wrong way.  Not because you defend him, but because you denigrate anyone that has a different opinion than you.   He is a good coach.  He brought Texas to new heights.  He also underachieved in the tournament per the talent he had on his roster AND he mailed it in the last few years at Texas.  When folks point this out AND he does exactly what everyone expects him to do - choke in a big game - you double down and call people names.

If Barnes makes the Final Four or better, I will be the first on here to eat crow and congratulate you (and Clintonaldo).  Otherwise, it's all opinion bro.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

wrong. again. total bullshit. what you're saying doesn't even make any sense whatsoever. i absolutely know more about rick barnes than 99% of college hoops fans, and that point is so obvious that it's hilarious and bewildering that you would even argue it. 

You don't know more about Coach Barnes than I do. But then again, according to you, you never went to UT Austin so its not like  you're cheering for your college team like the majority of posters are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol this is bringing all the old shaggy feels back! Rick choked again, derka has gone full derka! Damn I love this shit.

and poor Clintonaldo is caught in the middle hating every fucking body that caused today to happen. My God that was awful. 

Edited by Clintonaldo

2wa5ql.jpg

Derka obsession with Rick Barnes is such that I wouldnt be surprised if he rolls around P'ville with a pair of Rick's soiled panties hanging from his rear view mirror. He simply cant accept that otherwise intelligent, well-informed people who graduated from UT see things differently than he does. This lulzfest has been going on since the beginnings of the shag.

He's like a Brittany Spears superfan that will argue until the end of time that Brittany is still the hottest woman on the planet. The rest of us will tip our cap to "oops I did again" era Brittany, while also remembering bald-headed, looney bin Brittany. She had a hell of a fastball early on, and can still hit mid 90's on a good day, but nobody's picking her to start game 7 of the world series.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

If barnes gets beat in the 2nd round Derka has to ban himself , if barnes makes the elite 8 then the entire site has to be banned and it's just derka left

Actually a Barnes bet should bring some good Surly lulz. Now that Tenn is officially a #2 seed I'll offer the following:

$50 wager prop to Barnes fans

A two seed implies the team should make the final 8 teams. Been lots talk about Barnes ability/inability to perform to his seed in the NCAA's. Payoffs as follows:

Tenn loses in 1st Rd - you owe $200

Tenn loses in 2nd Rd - you owe $100

Tenn loses in sweet 16, you owe $50

Tenn loses in Elite 8, push

Tenn loses final 4, you win $50

Tenn loses in Championship, you win $100

Tenn wins it all you win $200

Basically, payoffs on either side escalate based on how much Rick exceeds or misses seeded expectations. I would argue that as a #2 seed, Tenn is much more likely to win it all, than lose to a #15, so these payouts probably favor the Barnes backers.

EDIT #1 - will only accept wagers from user names already registered.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

you have a team full of players who nobody wanted, a team who a year and half ago was supposed to be one of the worst in major college basketball, and all they've done since then is outperform expectations *literally* more than any program in the country and yet and you and your fans just want to bitch about what's not going right. about losing a tourney final.

wake up. enjoy what's happening. stop choosing to be miserable when your program is exceeding your own wildest expectations. or is this what you pictured when Barnes was hired? You expected Tennessee to go 55-14 in years 3 and 4 of the Barnes era. Yeah. That's the ticket.

You make some good points about Barnes but this isn't one of them. Whether he's overachieving with scrubs or underachieving with superstars, the production is all that matters when you're in year 4. The roster is his responsibility at that point so he doesn't get extra credit for the fact he recruited guys the services thought were scrubs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Actually a Barnes bet should bring some good Surly lulz. Now that Tenn is officially a #2 seed I'll offer the following:

A two seed implies the team should make the final 8 teams. Been lots talk about Barnes ability/inability to perform to his seed in the NCAA's. Payoffs as follows:

Basically, payoffs on either side escalate based on how much Rick exceeds or misses seeded expectations. I would argue that as a #2 seed, Tenn is much more likely to win it all, than lose to a #15, so these payouts probably favor the Barnes backers.

Can I take a spot for a non-Barnes fan? I like Rick but want to take the inverse of your bet.

6 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Can I take a spot for a non-Barnes fan? I like Rick but want to take the inverse of your bet.

Nah. Not really trying to be a market maker here, just seeing if any Barnes backers are interested in wagering on him exceeding expectations for a change.

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Two more asinine turnovers and more Auburn points. Auburn up 30-18.

And this is what kills me. Morons like @MotownHorn and a dozen others who literally don't even watch these games pop in every time the Vols lose just to talk shit, all the while completely ignoring the fact that there isn't a program in the country that's even remotely as good as Tennessee has been the last two years that's compiled of zero top 100 recruits and a bunch of Hs castoffs who nobody wanted. Tennessee is fucking up right now and it has absolutely nothing to do with Rick Barnes, and yet hordes of CBB "fans" like Motown who literally don't even watch the games will be in here later today talking shit about what a failure it is for this team to be 29-5 on the season and two seed in the tourney. Fucking stupid. So here's a preemptive fuck off for your dumb ass @MotownHorn.

Wow dude. Get help. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You make some good points about Barnes but this isn't one of them. Whether he's overachieving with scrubs or underachieving with superstars, the production is all that matters when you're in year 4. The roster is his responsibility at that point so he doesn't get extra credit for the fact he recruited guys the services thought were scrubs.

i agree with you. my main point is that Barnes' detractors, and what's worse many actual fans of his teams, don't ever have much to say when he's taking those players/that team from scrubs to the top 10, but then when they lose a conference title game as a 3 seed then *everyone* is chiming in about how much Barnes sucks. That's just petty, and in the case of the actual fans of his team just sad.

That's why I say, "enjoy it." I don't mean, "hey, you've come this far, no matter what happens from here on out be happy!", i'm saying, "you just won 29 regular season games, you beat Gonzaga, you beat Kentucky twice, you didn't have any bad losses (and in all honesty you would have won the SEC outright we're it not for some poor officiating in some late season games), and you have a very special team, and yet you seem to have spent the entire season waiting to have the rug pulled out from under you, refusing to accept that Tennessee is actually good, always waiting for them to prove it to you more before you can jump on board and buy in". Our fans did the same thing after they'd been scarred, but Tennessee fans have no excuse for that. He's been awesome there, and yet plenty of their fans have refused to fully enjoy it or buy in. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

How many people on this thread are actually Tennessee fans (not Rick Barnes, honest-to-god Rocky Top)? Is it just Clintonaldo?

I am the only one I believe. Regardless of what Derka thinks we are happy with the season but today was fucking terrible and there is no defense. Winning 29 games don’t make a shit when you get skull fucked like today. 

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

This just makes the situation weirder (if possible).  I can see having a big argument over whether or not a coach is elite and whether to keep them around.  But all this teeth gnashing over a guy who's just "undervalued?"

21 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

This just makes the situation weirder (if possible).  I can see having a big argument over whether or not a coach is elite and whether to keep them around.  But all this teeth gnashing over a guy who's just "undervalued?"

Not just undervalued but underappreciated. 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I love it

Derka let’s do this bet since you called me out personally and apparently  I already occupy space in your brain. So at the very least I should pay rent if you’re correct this year (spoiler alert: you aren’t).

TN has an easy draw too. Yet he still won’t get past his seed and will likely lose before the elite 8

6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

. i absolutely know more about rick barnes than 99% of college hoops fans

I continue to maintain that Derka and Barnes must have been lovers (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

It’s the only explanation for why this dude literally spends hundreds of hours per year writing long winded posts no one really reads about a guy who hasn’t coached our team for 4 years now 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Like 1