MLB the Show 19

Foosters

Anyone else here play this game? I've become borderline obsessed with Diamond Dynasty this year after really only playing offline modes the last several years. I have very little idea what I'm doing as far as collecting cards, stubs, and XP. 

13 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Yeah, I play franchise and DD. I am not enjoying moments this year, but I like that they tried something new.

I cant figure out how everyone is getting lineups of all 90+.  I work and have a family so I don't get to play more than a few hours a week, but holy shit these grinds take forever. I still haven't finished the 1st inning program.

I am just shooting to reach 200 stars each program.

I would suggest doing every conquest possible. Free packs, cards and coins. Use the coins to complete cheap collections such as the A’s. The cards you get in packs will always be useful somewhere.

I am in the same position as you. I get to play about 45 minutes each night, so my time is limited.

Also, be sure to play Battle Royale and Events as much as possible to get some decent cards. You can also get a Diamond Griffey by completing one of the partner missions, if you have not done do. I will send over my team tonight, but I can tell you that I still roll with golds in many spots where I have diamonds. For instance, Will Clark’s Rangers card is only an 84, but I crush the ball with him.

• Like 1

Yeah, I finished that Sony Partner moment so I got the rookie Griffey. I've also bought some cards as well so my lineup is pretty good overall, (84 overall rating, I think) but I can't see how I'll ever rack up the money or xp to get the 95+ players. Going to try and bang out that new Sony Partner moment for Cliff Lee.

I also have Will Clark, and agree with your point about rolling with golds if they work. I've had 83 Steve Finley leading off for me for awhile. I keep wanting to replace him in the OF but the dude is hitting like .400

Battle Royale always seemed like a waste of coins, but maybe I need to rethink. For 1500 coins you can pick up a decent bullpen arm or bench player, and I would never win enough games in BR to justify the cost.

I play this game a lot but mostly stick to Road to the Show.  It's so easy to pick it up and play 5 or 6 games in 15 minutes.  I also have kids so time is very limited so that sbility to get a few games in very quickly makes this my go to game most of the time.

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

I play this game a lot but mostly stick to Road to the Show.  It's so easy to pick it up and play 5 or 6 games in 15 minutes.  I also have kids so time is very limited so that sbility to get a few games in very quickly makes this my go to game most of the time.

That's true. It's why I used to only play RTTS.

However, I have found it a much deeper game playing Diamond Dynasty. What's great about conquest mode is that the games are only 3 innings. I can usually cram in at least two every night.

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

That's true. It's why I used to only play RTTS.

However, I have found it a much deeper game playing Diamond Dynasty. What's great about conquest mode is that the games are only 3 innings. I can usually cram in at least two every night.

Yeah I branch out to the other game modes when I have the time.  RTTS is just my main nightly game due to the time constraints and ease of play mentioned.

Here are the gold players that I still use that I like a lot:

Matt Chapman -3B love the diamond fielding rating

Trea Turner SS - solid contact guy, great speed

Jonathan Schoop 2B - throwback card / solid contact and good power against lefties.

Johnny Bench C - solid contact and diamond fielding

Tommy Pham - Bench Bat due to power against lefties

Marcell Ozuna - Great balance for hitting both righties and lefties. Poor fielder though

Kevin Kiemaier - Ok contact hitter, great diamond fielder

Clark mentioned above

Steve Garvey - Throwback great contact and gold fielding

Keith Hernandez - 1B throwback. Good contact and fielding. Get him from the Hernandez conquest map.

Brett Cecil Throwback Reliever - great bull pen arm

Johnny Venters Throwback Reliever. Great arm and a bit over powered IMO

Blame Treinen - Live Closer.

*Sorry for the long list! These are all guys that I use over a good number of diamonds.

• Like 1

Cheap Live Series Collections to Finish.

Pirates, reds (diamond Dave Parker), diamondbacks, twins, Miami, Texas, Oakland, white Sox, Detroit, KC, Baltimore and the free agents. All come with card rewards, but more importantly XP.

The collections and conquests are good to boost XP for the XP rewards.

How are you completing the collections? Are you buying the cards or just pulling from packs?

I actually just finished the Cliff Lee moment and the 1st inning program so now my 1, 2 in the rotation is Cy Young and Cliff Lee. That should help.

I've also got gold Johnny Bench and Steve Garvey. For whatever reason, Bench is my best hitter. Dude just crushes for me despite being one of my worst skilled hitters.

So far the best card I've received in a "pick one" reward pack was the Matt Kemp throwback based on his All-star / 2nd place in MVP voting season about 8 years ago.  

As for bargain cards, the silver Zobrist is pretty darn good. 

That throwback Steve Garvey is awesome too... great defense at the corner and makes for a good #2 hitter in a lineup.  He and Matt Chapman at the other corner have kept me in a lot of DD games.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have yet to get a hit with "99" Joe Morgan leading off.

For pitching, I have a lineup of mid to low gold players (Buehler, Bumgarner, Morton, and Bauer or Carrasco)... with Johann Santana being my only Diamond.  Love a guy with a good cutter against glove-hand side batters 

Funny how that works. I still have three golds in my lineup. 82 Steve Finley at leadoff and RF, Johnny Bench at C, and Steve Garvey/Will Clark at 1B.  I keep wanting to upgrade them but they wont stop hitting. I'm working on that 3rd inning program and if I get it done, it may be hard to avoid swapping out Finley for 99 Diamond Rickey Henderson.

• Like 1