(Houston) Dad shoots at teens who had paintball guns, kills 19-year-old: police

clapclapclap

https://abc13.com/dad-shoots-and-kills-teen-who-had-paintball-gun-police-say/5312163/

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Police say a 19-year-old man was shot and killed in northeast Houston Tuesday night.

According to authorities, about 15 teenagers with paintball guns went to a home on Force Street. Police believe the teens went to the home "to fight" a 17-year-old who lives there.

There are several paintball splatters on the house and street at the scene.

Police say the 17-year-old told his father about the teens and the father then went outside with a rifle and fired at them. It is unclear if the father knew the guns the teens had were paintball guns.

The 19-year-old was taken by a private vehicle to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The father is being questioned, but police say it doesn't appear he'll be charged.

Three of the teens with paintball guns have been detained. They could be charged with anything from assault to criminal mischief.

I don't get not charging the father. You don't get to kill people just because they messed up your property with paint. Maybe he thought they were real guns (but that seems unlikely to me), which is really the only way I could see his use of deadly force being reasonable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't get not charging the father. You don't get to kill people just because they messed up your property with paint. Maybe he thought they were real guns (but that seems unlikely to me), which is really the only way I could see his use of deadly force being reasonable. 

They make paintball guns that look like real ones. Them being paintball guns probably wouldn't come across your average person's mind. I imagine there is some fear involved seeing a mob of teenagers outside your house with what you think are guns. Why should he have to take the chance that they are not real guns? Some could have had paintball guns and others could have had real ones. He was put in a shitty situation. I don't want to charge people who are put in shitty situations with crimes.

• Like 6

I think showing up at a guys house in force to beat him up while his dad is there is asking for trouble. Dad might have something to say about it.  It’s not “you deserve to get shot” bad, but it’s a risky move. 

I'm not over excited about arresting people or charging them with crimes, but I could easily go either way with charging the father.  If it's as he says/it seems, and it was mistaken self-defense, I could see some value in testing that, short of a trial possibly, but to the point of serious investigation and indictment, perhaps.

I suppose it's possible that the father is falling apart at having killed a more or less innocent teen and charging him seems like overkill.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Sitting here on my sofa, that doesn't Jive with what I learned at TOS, "Painting' can be deadly serious....

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Ok.  Fuck that.  You show up to my house with a group of 12 people threatening to cause bodily harm to my kid and then proceed to shoot it up with paintball guns breaking windows to goad him outside so he can possibly get killed by this morning b.  You're gonna get shot.  

Yep. I don’t fault the dad for doing it. Putting myself in his shoes, there’s a chance the same thing might have happened.

• Like 5

Similar incident happened when I was a high school freshman in 1994. Huge group of kids showed up at a kid’s house because one of them wanted to fight. Kid was scared and came out with a gun and squeezed off a round or two into the crowd. One of the crowd found a bullet. 

Oddly, the only thing coming up on google about the shooting is a newspaper archive that has a picture of the page of the grapevine sun that has the article. 

It led to this bit of fun  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-11-07-9311070330-story,amp.html

and either the shooter or victim was black, so it just added to the craziness. Not long after, the KKK got a parade permit and marched down Dallas st in the middle of grapevine. I was told to keep my ass at home.

edited to add: there’s actually a text box at the bottom of the link with ocr text for the page. If you scroll down a little bit the story is there. 

https://newspaperarchive.com/grapevine-sun-jan-09-1994-p-6/

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

There was paint on the walls. I assume that happened before the dad started shooting. I just have my doubts that you can reasonably think there are real guns at that point. Obviously, we need more facts, and while I certainly understand the other posts here, the reported facts dont match up with no charge to me. I will also add that I've never seen a paintball gun that looks remotely like a real weapon. The giant hoppers, among other things, make it pretty obvious. That being said, I get in the dark not being able to tell. Still, pain on the walls. Means the guns were fired. It should be pretty obvious at that point what is in going on. 

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

There was paint on the walls. I assume that happened before the dad started shooting. I just have my doubts that you can reasonably think there are real guns at that point. Obviously, we need more facts, and while I certainly understand the other posts here, the reported facts dont match up with no charge to me. I will also add that I've never seen a paintball gun that looks remotely like a real weapon. The giant hoppers, among other things, make it pretty obvious. That being said, I get in the dark not being able to tell. Still, pain on the walls. Means the guns were fired. It should be pretty obvious at that point what is in going on. 

It was night time I assume.  You walking out to look at your brick/siding with your back to a pack of rowdy teens trying to beat your son’s ass to check and see if those were real bullet holes or paint guns?   Sheeeeeeiiiiit

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 4

Not sure if the case here but there is a new class of paintball guns designed to be replicas of tactical firearms.  M16, MP5, Uzi etc.

Google tactical paintball gun to get a look-see.

If they had these it would be conceivable that he walked out side to scare them off and then panicked seeing what appeared to be an armed mob.

56 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Ok.  Fuck that.  You show up to my house with a group of 12 people threatening to cause bodily harm to my kid and then proceed to shoot it up with paintball guns breaking windows to goad him outside so he can possibly get killed by this angry mob.  You're gonna get shot.  

50 minutes ago, housious said:

Yep. I don’t fault the dad for doing it. Putting myself in his shoes, there’s a chance the same thing might have happened.

I'm hoping I'd have the restraint to only put one of them down. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Considering that three of the still living teens are being held; we are certainly missing some of the facts.  My lean is the dad was probably in the right to protect his kid and home.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I don't think the father should be charged.  But I also think a warning shot might have done the trick

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t warning shots illegal? I thought the law in Texas was if you pull the trigger you have to be in fear for yours or others lives, so you must be trying to shoot the threatening party to protect yourself or others. 

1 minute ago, drt said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t warning shots illegal? I thought the law in Texas was if you pull the trigger you have to be in fear for yours or others lives, so you must be trying to shoot the threatening party to protect yourself or others. 

It’s not that it’s illegal, it’s that a warning shot is firing with lethal intent.  So your defense of lethal intent by warning or lethal intent by castle Doctrine is blurred

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drt said:

Well then I guess it was a warning shot for all the other assholes 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I am guessing those kids and their adult friends might want to leave the 17 year old alone and take some time to think about the value and consequences of their decisions going forward and reflect on past mistakes. I think we can all learn a lesson here.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Came outside? Only one dead?

Shiiiiieeetttt..

I see that shit outside my front door, I'll be picking motherfuckers off from cover inside my home.

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Ok.  Fuck that.  You show up to my house with a group of 12 people threatening to cause bodily harm to my kid and then proceed to shoot it up with paintball guns breaking windows to goad him outside so he can possibly get killed by this angry mob.  You're gonna get shot.  

Yes. Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That’s *my* policy.’

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m guessing calling the police was out of the question?

Firing a warning shot?

strongly worded letter?

There was a warning shot.  He just warned the neighborhood the next one that messes with his kid is going to meet an early end.  No but really the sad thing is the family is now gonna have to move for fear of retaliation.  Look up that neighborhood.  These weren't kids out to be mischievous.  They were there to cause serious bodily injury to that man's son. 

2 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

There was a warning shot.  He just warned the neighborhood the next one that messes with his kid is going to meet an early end.  No but really the sad thing is the family is now gonna have to move for fear of retaliation.  Look up that neighborhood.  These weren't kids out to be mischievous.  They were there to cause serious bodily injury to that man's son. 

I dont really care which neighborhood they were in, if an unruly mob shows up at night brandishing what could appear to be real guns, the mob better be prepared for the consequences. I'll withhold final judgement until the facts come out, but right now I agree with the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" comment posted earlier. Fucking retards breed faster than they can be eliminated.

31 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Yes. Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That’s *my* policy.’

Damn it Frank!

edit: Pato del Muerto beat me to it

Edited by achooloco