ESPN finally getting its shit together- no more politics

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think politics can be COMPLETELY ignored when you the President tweeting at LeBron James and serving college national championship winning teams McDonald's. But you can certainly tell Jamele Hill to shut the fuck up and can her ass for what she tweeted. Sometimes politics and sports intersect and they'll have to cover it. But as everyone has pointed out, the problem isn't politics. It's that everyone on their network kinda sucks. They're either a screaming lunatic like Steven A Smith, or a milquetoast human fart like Max Kellerman. I guess there are no more Dan Patricks out there.

You are aware of why the event was not catered by White House staff, aren't you?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I don't think politics can be COMPLETELY ignored when you the President tweeting at LeBron James and serving college national championship winning teams McDonald's. But you can certainly tell Jamele Hill to shut the fuck up and can her ass for what she tweeted. Sometimes politics and sports intersect and they'll have to cover it. But as everyone has pointed out, the problem isn't politics. It's that everyone on their network kinda sucks. They're either a screaming lunatic like Steven A Smith, or a milquetoast human fart like Max Kellerman. I guess there are no more Dan Patricks out there.

Cloak'ed

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You are aware of why the event was not catered by White House staff, aren't you?

Yes. The government was shut down and there were not staff to prepare a meal. The government has since reopened and the President served fast food to both North Dakota State for their FCS championship and to the Baylor Women's team. 

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Cloak'ed

It's not "cloak room" to acknowledge that politics and sports will inevitably intersect. There are things happening in sports that are directly related to politics and the President. That's a fact. ESPN can say they're staying out of politics, but are they going to completely ignore the Kaepernick story? Are they going to completely ignore when a team that wins a major championship decides not to attend a White House ceremony with the President, or is served Chick fil A and Burger King? These are questions about things that are happening and not a commentary on the President. Y'all should stop being so thin-skinned.

• Like 1

I dropped cable several years ago, not just because of ESPN but it was a big part of it. I hated the political crap but I also hated the deliberate push of women's sports. I love women, love tits and ass. I have 2 daughters, I have a great wife. I don't care about softball or women's basketball. They keep trying to make women's sports a huge deal and it's just not gonna happen. I also can't stand the way they just HAVE to toss in a hot chick on some debate show. They want to promote women in sports and "we're more than just a pretty face" but they blow it by having a random hot chick on there, like that's really where she wants to be, talking sports with the fellas. Yes, I'd rather look at Holly Saunders than Barry Melrose but eventually, she's gonna open her mouth and the whole thing is over.

For whatever reason, I don't mind women that are commentating at an actual game, like Doris Burke. Or Dottie Pepper on a golf telecast. They sound knowledgeable and don't try to be a know it all IMO.

I have to say, as a huge sports fan, I really don't give a runny shit about ESPN at all.

I will watch actual sporting events on their channel, and maybe watch the top ten if it happens to be on when I'm flipping the channels. I don't even have their ap on my phone.

My 8 yr old daughter provides more insightful analysis, for instance "That guy with the big nose is really good" for instance, than those fucking morons.

Add The History Channel to the list. Might as well be The American Pickers Channel.

As i was scrolling through the guide last night, noticed they have a new show called ‘The Butcher’. Not about serial killers or war crimes. Nope; it’s actually about butchering animals.

30 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I dropped cable several years ago, not just because of ESPN but it was a big part of it. I hated the political crap but I also hated the deliberate push of women's sports. I love women, love tits and ass. I have 2 daughters, I have a great wife. I don't care about softball or women's basketball. They keep trying to make women's sports a huge deal and it's just not gonna happen. I also can't stand the way they just HAVE to toss in a hot chick on some debate show. They want to promote women in sports and "we're more than just a pretty face" but they blow it by having a random hot chick on there, like that's really where she wants to be, talking sports with the fellas. Yes, I'd rather look at Holly Saunders than Barry Melrose but eventually, she's gonna open her mouth and the whole thing is over.

For whatever reason, I don't mind women that are commentating at an actual game, like Doris Burke. Or Dottie Pepper on a golf telecast. They sound knowledgeable and don't try to be a know it all IMO.

Yes women's sports will never be a huge deal but they actually are a deal that can't legally be ignored by universities and you know UCONN is the local team. I watch some women's basketball on a random basis like UT vs Baylor or UT vs UCONN. It beats WWE for me.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

ESPN needs to copy MLB Quick Pitch. 

All highlights. Hot lady hosting, and limited to zero “boo yah!”s

And bring back NFL prime-time in original form. (Sans Berman)

MLB Quick Pitch copied what SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight used to be.  And then improved it with the hot chick who introduces the show but then gets out of the way for the highlights.  Quick Pitch is now the show I leave on while I'm getting ready in the morning, the role that SportsCenter used to play back in the 90s.

• Like 3

While this is true, their transition shouldn't have been to more loud gotcha personalities and the almost inevitable coverage of professional wrestling once they went that route. It should have been to more in depth analysis like the NFL Edge show or whatever it was called with Jaworski. They still do bits and pieces of that like Tim Legler on the NBA but you have to watch a half hour of bullshit to get to it.

And highlights packages would still work if they mixed in analysis of crucial plays. People still want to see their team's or the big game's highlights on their big TVs without having to search or scroll. It's not as big a deal anymore but it still matters.

This is exactly right. I loved that show with Jaws and Merrill Hodge. You learn a lot watching shows like that. It was like watching the Tom Landry show as a kid.

While I agree this is a good decision I don't think politics is the only reason people don't watch as much anymore. As someone else mention, there are so many other options for viewing, and finding something you actually like.

Does ESPN really need all those people to have shows in the morning & afternoon where they just talk, and talk, and talk, and never say anything?

Of course not. They are terrible shows and people don't care what someone on ESPN says because we can get all the stats and history that we need to form our own opinions.

6 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

This.  I remember watching all day marathons of worlds strongest man or lumberjack competitions.  Trick shot billiards was awesome to watch too.    

Yes, world's strongest man was great.  Remember when they'd have those guys pick up, like, a telephone poll, and throw it as far as they could? You'd be  like "I think Magnus has got this, but Gerd looks strong, too."  You could relate because it's huge men doing ridiculous things to prove they were stronger than the other.  Mano y mano, who can pick up this goddamn telephone poll, carry it 125 feet, then throw it over a fence or some shit.  It was even better if you were stoned.

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Yes, world's strongest man was great.  Remember when they'd have those guys pick up, like, a telephone poll, and throw...

They could go back to that type of programming but of course it would have to be “world’s strongest person” to be inclusive of women transitioning to men who can also lift a VW bus. 

It seems like “watching sports center” was a thing you just did in the past not because you have to find out whether the Angels or the As won but just because you loved sports and Sports Center gave it to you in a condensed form, the talking heads were very bro-like and funny, etc.  it was pure entertainment and an escape.

Perhaps politics in general but especially politics woven into your escape from the real world has somewhat killed peoples pure love of sports. They still love their teams but when they want to check their brain at the door and just be entertained they now look for something else other than watch NHL highlights. In that respect I think ESPN has been somewhat responsible killing their own goose that payed the golden egg.   

Edited by Lhorn

They could go back to that type of programming but of course it would have to be “world’s strongest person” to be inclusive of women transitioning to men who can also lift a VW bus. 

It seems like “watching sports center” was a thing you just did in the past not because you have to find out whether the Angels or the As won but just because you loved sports and Sports Center gave it to you in a condensed form, the talking heads were very bro-like and funny, etc.  it was pure entertainment and an escape.

Perhaps politics in general but especially politics woven into your escape from the real world has somewhat killed peoples pure love of sports. They still love their teams but when they want to check their brain at the door and just be entertained they now look for something else other than watch NHL highlights. In that respect I think ESPN has been somewhat responsible killing their own goose that payed the golden egg.   

Yeah, you really made your point about how fucking stupid it is to inject politics into our shared enjoyment of sports by, uh, fucking stupidly injecting politics into a moment of shared enjoyment of sports.

• Like 2

and separate from all the poor content - they and every other channel feels the need to toss a minimum of 15 minutes of commercials per hour. Screw that. A long time ago the FCC actually had a mandatory limit of something like 10 minutes per hour. Not anymore. Tough to watch anything (looking at you Discovery network) these days

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, you really made your point about how fucking stupid it is to inject politics into our shared enjoyment of sports by, uh, fucking stupidly injecting politics into a moment of shared enjoyment of sports.

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I was trying to make distinction between the opinion posted by several that people turned away from sports because Netflix is so awesome and they can get scores on an app and the idea that maybe people turned to Netflix because sports entertainment got worse. Maybe it’s six of one, half dozen of the other to some. 

17 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I have no idea. They stopped being great so long ago I do not have access to the alternative timeline that has both things existing at once.

I will say that maybe I can do those things, but I don't. I don't see all the highlights and all the scores of all the games anymore and see how all the players are doing. There is no nice entertaining place that can all happen in a short time anymore. I get the highlights and scores for my teams that is it. 

You don't need an alternative timeline. Take news coverage in general. How many people under 35 wait until the news comes on TV in the evening to figure it out what's going on in the world?  Not many. That model, much like ESPN being the sole place to consume sports highlights and info is dead and dying.

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just to be clear, I don’t like that stuff lol. I just respect Stephan A Smith for what he is and what he’s asked to do. He’s good at his job. Same with Skip Bayless to a lesser extent, even though he isn’t on espn anymore. 

Most of my sports info comes from twitter, bleacher report, barstool, and MLB/NFL network.

You're trolling, right? You got to be.

PTI is still good to me because you can tell it is 2 longtime friends and colleagues genuinely talking about topics, and will even let the viewers know that it is "bad TV" when they are in agreement because they are not arguing the other side.

Ironically, I bet the success of that show is what set off all of these contrived "embrace debate" shows that clutter the network all day long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

You don't need an alternative timeline. Take news coverage in general. How many people under 35 wait until the news comes on TV in the evening to figure it out what's going on in the world?  Not many. That model, much like ESPN being the sole place to consume sports highlights and info is dead and dying.

I think I do for the reasons I discussed in my post that you ignored.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think I do for the reasons I discussed in my post that you ignored.

Well I wouldn't say I ignored it, per se. More like used your post as a jumping off point in order to make a superior point. You're welcome.

21 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Well I wouldn't say I ignored it, per se. More like used your post as a jumping off point in order to make a superior point. You're welcome.

Except people do still consume media. Now of course the "old model" of tuning in at 7PM to see a show was never ESPN's model. They replayed that shit constantly so I would just sort of tune in whenever. And if their stuff was still good I think I would still consume it basically the same way. Though I would probably watch via a stream or an ESPN youtube channel or via DVR or whatever. Sure it wouldn't be exactly the same, but only slightly different. People still like stuff that is good. They still watch shows.

But again would I for sure consume them that way? I don't know. They stopped being amazing enough time ago that it is hard to say.

But here was the point you ignored: There is no real substitute for those shows. It is not like I consume that kind of sports media differently....I just don't really consume it anymore because it is not presented in an entertaining way that is easily accessible. I am back to the pre-ESPN model of really only knowing what is going on with teams and sports I am a fan of.

If there is a cool "new model" of doing that please let me know.

Edited by Valmy77

11 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Except people do still consume media. Now of course the "old model" of tuning in at 7PM to see a show was never ESPN's model. They replayed that shit constantly so I would just sort of tune in whenever. And if their stuff was still good I think I would still consume it basically the same way. Though I would probably watch via a stream or an ESPN youtube channel or via DVR or whatever. Sure it wouldn't be exactly the same, but only slightly different. People still like stuff that is good. They still watch shows.

But again would I for sure consume them that way? I don't know. They stopped being amazing enough time ago that it is hard to say.

But here was the point you ignored: There is no real substitute for those shows. It is not like I consume that kind of sports media differently....I just don't really consume it anymore because it is not presented in an entertaining way that is easily accessible. I am back to the pre-ESPN model of really only knowing what is going on with teams and sports I am a fan of.

If there is a cool "new model" of doing that please let me know.

Which shows are you talking about? The old sportscenter and baseball tonight models? Majority highlights with commentary on top?

If so, there's not much left. Quick Pitch on MLB TV is somewhat like that.

For me, instead of watching sportscenter on Sunday night to see what happened in the NFL, I go to Reddit/r/NFL where every play that's worth seeing is posted within minutes of it happening. Same for college football.

8 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Yes. The government was shut down and there were not staff to prepare a meal. The government has since reopened and the President served fast food to both North Dakota State for their FCS championship and to the Baylor Women's team. 

It's not "cloak room" to acknowledge that politics and sports will inevitably intersect. There are things happening in sports that are directly related to politics and the President. That's a fact. ESPN can say they're staying out of politics, but are they going to completely ignore the Kaepernick story? Are they going to completely ignore when a team that wins a major championship decides not to attend a White House ceremony with the President, or is served Chick fil A and Burger King? These are questions about things that are happening and not a commentary on the President. Y'all should stop being so thin-skinned.

These people aren't complaining about there being politics ,they are complaining that ESPN isn't supporting their side.

What's far more offensive to me than the politics shit is the ham-fisted shoehorning of movie and music promotion into ESPN's broadcasting. 
"LeBron looking like Captain America out there in the fourth quarter...speaking of which, don't forget that Captain America is in theaters Friday May 12...."
I don't give a fuck. 

Disney bought ABC in 1996. The last year ESPN was truly watchable.

Sometimes competing ideas can both be true:

- Political opinions had zero impact on ESPN's falling ratings

- Pitaro made a brilliant business decision in snuffing out the politics

ESPN's whole brand was being tied to a handful of tweets from their talent. They have enough challenges staying profitable in this changing marketplace, so Pitaro nipped that one in the bud straight off.

P.S. Whoever bitched about softball airing needs to watch a Florida State game with #48 pitching from CF camera

12 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Sometimes competing ideas can both be true:

- Political opinions had zero impact on ESPN's falling ratings

- Pitaro made a brilliant business decision in snuffing out the politics

ESPN's whole brand was being tied to a handful of tweets from their talent. They have enough challenges staying profitable in this changing marketplace, so Pitaro nipped that one in the bud straight off.

P.S. Whoever bitched about softball airing needs to watch a Florida State game with #48 pitching from CF camera

Best her ig had to offer (left)

Screenshot-20190523-192213-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20190523-192720-Instagram.jpg

She's cute I guess. Assuming you were referring to the "junk" in the "trunk" however. 

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Holy Shit I totally forgot about those 11am body workout videos! I used to beat off as a 11-12 year old to Denise Austin. Damn I miss the simplicity of the 90's.

no telling how many billions she helped kill off back in the day