ESPN finally getting its shit together- no more politics

Goo Punch

Does this mean they are going to bring back Grantland and can Undefeated?  One can dream.

The last sports center I remember watching was when they started broadcasting live from whatever NFL training camp Tebow was at.

I don't understand why they think a binch of has been NFLers in suits acting out plays in slow motion while trying to look cool is better then highlights....Just give us madden and his yellow drawings, in works better.

The personal interest stories and interviews take up way too much time, just show the bleeping highlights.

And no we don't care what Kobe Bryant or Dana Terasi think about some NBA players game...

Its crap, you aren't social justice warriors, you aren't political pundits, you for damn sure are not some moral authority.  Show the highlights and get out of the damn way!

• Like 2

thing went to shit when they lost the fat guy from the Philadelphia who sat always on the end of the row of The Sports Reporters" with the coffee cup held up (pre-Starbuks and Yeti cups.... just a coffee cup) and Dick Schaap.... back when Mike Lupica was the most annoying whiner on the network. 

Edited by TtomTerrific

On 5/29/2019 at 2:47 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Millennial and younger lean heavy left.  If it was "just politics" like others propose, they would still be ok.  The majority of it is that traditional TV is on it's way out with those that are younger.  I'd rather watch a strong man competition than two idiots yelling at each other about whatever soap opera they're trying to promote.  

I get what you’re saying, but research shows gen z tends to lean right and will be the target demographic in a few short years.  

Just one example: Forbes

Edited by SDG
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SDG said:

I get what you’re saying, but research shows gen z tends to lean right and will be the target demographic in a few short years.  

First see Valmy post.  Second, they lean R until you get into far R shit like today’s R party policy on abortion.  Far right wins next to zero gen Z votes.  

And that’s as far as I’ll toe line on CR.  ESPN sucks.  That’s all.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

On 5/31/2019 at 1:57 PM, ButtFumble said:

once again why ESPN sucks cocks

they have 7 NCAA games LIVE right now on ESPN3 (their shit quality streaming) and one that is not even on it

and this is the dog shit they are showing on ESPN and ESPN II

NFL Live from 2 to 3 on ESPN then again from 2 to 3 on ESPN II.......fucking NFL?

then all their shitty talking asshole shows mixed in there

ESPN and ESPN II are the MTv and MTv2 of sports

2z8waiu.png

I agree with the bolded part, when ESPN isn't actually showing live events...

thing went to shit when they lost the fat guy from the Philadelphia who sat always on the end of the row of The Sports Reporters" with the coffee cup held up (pre-Starbuks and Yeti cups.... just a coffee cup) and Dick Schaap.... back when Mike Lupica was the most annoying whiner on the network. 

That guy was a pedophile allegedly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.phillymag.com/news/2014/04/01/last-days-bill-conlin/%3famp=1

LOL this isn't going to do anything.

Outside of 30 for 30, PTI and just the live sports that they air, ESPN has been a steaming pile of garbage for at least 15 years and whether or not they cover politics has little to do with it.

The network went the way of the shitter when they started giving a platform to "talent" like Skip Bayless and Screamin' A. Smith whose only discernible abilities are to blather their "hot takes" at the loudest volume possible.  They were/are the live TV versions of click bait and ESPN sold their soul to these fucking clowns and all of the other various clowns that followed them.

And if it's not that crap, they do other things horribly wrong like take the best program that they had on their air (College Game Day) and turned it into a bloated self-aggrandizing mess.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

whether or not they cover politics has little to do with it.

It has nothing to do with competition for easily consumable highlights from alternative platforms, or verbal clickbait, which I think anyone paying attention would acknowledge. 

It directly addresses the problem of giving obnoxious, unlikable people a platform to insult a significant portion of their audience. Removing that irritant eliminates another reason for exploring content alternatives; that exploration leads some people to say "if I don't watch ESPN, what do I need cable for?" and that facilitates some percentage of cable-cutting, a percentage of which neither of us can quantify.

You have to fix all the holes in the boat when it's taking on water and anyone who insists a particular hole doesn't matter should be thrown overboard too.

Edited by SwanderedTalent

On 6/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, SDG said:

I get what you're saying, but that article is from 2 years ago and studies since show that Gen Z is even more liberal than Millennials. 

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

It has nothing to do with competition for easily consumable highlights from alternative platforms, or verbal clickbait, which I think anyone paying attention would acknowledge. 

It directly addresses the problem of giving obnoxious, unlikable people a platform to insult a significant portion of their audience. Removing that irritant eliminates another reason for exploring content alternatives; that exploration leads some people to say "if I don't watch ESPN, what do I need cable for?" and that facilitates some percentage of cable-cutting, a percentage of which neither of us can quantify.

You have to fix all the holes in the boat when it's taking on water and anyone who insists a particular hole doesn't matter should be thrown overboard too.

I'm with you.  It was a mistake to introduce that stuff in the first place, but my main point is that ESPN is so far gone from what it used to be that I don't see this making much of a difference.

Even taking the politics out, you still have all of the various iterations of "First Take" and all of that other garbage.

ESPN's multiple cable channels all need 24-7 content, which is the problem. They have all those channels to broadcast multiple live events, but with streaming it's not really necessary anymore. They really only need the main ESPN network, with daytime programming of high quality, and maybe keep ESPN News playing Sportscenter and other purely sports news programs around the clock. Live events can all be live streamed. 90% of the college baseball and softball  tournament have been live streamed.I never had a problem logging in and watching the games. 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

ESPN's multiple cable channels all need 24-7 content, which is the problem. They have all those channels to broadcast multiple live events, but with streaming it's not really necessary anymore. They really only need the main ESPN network, with daytime programming of high quality, and maybe keep ESPN News playing Sportscenter and other purely sports news programs around the clock. Live events can all be live streamed. 90% of the college baseball and softball  tournament have been live streamed.I never had a problem logging in and watching the games. 

Can you stream 5 games on 5 TVs at the same time?

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

I get what you're saying, but that article is from 2 years ago and studies since show that Gen Z is even more liberal than Millennials. 

To your point....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politics/gen-z-politics/index.html

One uses dated and bad information, they typically come to poor conclusions.

BTW, this thread is hilarious.  No one can seem to agree on what the issue is, besides one or two -- cord cutting and too much debate TV. 

Edited by Patrick Bateman

11 hours ago, Whatever said:
On 5/22/2019 at 9:47 PM, TexArcher said:
Sarah Spain's tits are the only good thing left on ESPN.

They're great, but Hannah Storm is better. She's the hottest 50+ woman I've ever seen, and yes I've seen Suzanne Somers, Sarah Palin, Cindy Crawford and Kathy Ireland.

WAT

21 minutes ago, Whatever said:
22 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:
WAT

Yeah I think she's pretty hot. Dumb as a rock but hot nonetheless.

Oh yeah she's hot in a "regular person" sense... I just didn't think she belonged with those other three, which are supermodels/actresses that were (at one time) like top 10 hottest women in the world. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whatever said:

They're great, but Hannah Storm is better. She's the hottest 50+ woman I've ever seen, and yes I've seen Suzanne Somers, Sarah Palin, Cindy Crawford and Kathy Ireland.

Is this a grill explosion joke?  Because you can't be serious.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 10:44 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

The network went the way of the shitter when they started giving a platform to "talent" like Skip Bayless and Screamin' A. Smith whose only discernible abilities are to blather their "hot takes" at the loudest volume possible. 

Not just loud, but fast.   They all act like they are NBA announcers trying to cram 5 minutes of info into a 30-second timeout.  

15 hours ago, Whatever said:

if ever a username checked out

• Like 1

The problem is it isn't about sports, its about making "reality TV". I think this is due in part to attempt to make the network more desirable for women viewers, and also because that's just the trend in network programming. The sports is real enough. Most of the programming isn't about showing sports action/breaking down sports action, its about creating drama. If I watch sports, I want to watch sports. Maybe an occasional human interest story, but stay focused on the goal. Provide sports and sports analysis. 

Politics needs to be kept out of it.

ESPN has enough programming for 1 24-hour channel. They have so many channels they have to fill them all up with shit. It's like 24-hour news. There's only so much interesting content. The rest is shit. If games overlap, provide a streaming option.

People are too busy to spend time watching shit and they don't want to pay for shit.

Give me a 1-hour SportsCenter. A one-hour Gameday. Actual sports content that I care about watching. One-hour show of reasoned analysis. I'd take that channel. The rest is fluff and people are tired of paying for the remaining 99% of shit.

• Like 3

And when they do replay an actual game, they totally chop the game up to hell and make it unwatchable, mostly preserving the shitty, bloated commentary over the plays and drives that took place on the field. Cut out the goofy commentary and you can replay an entire game in an hour.

Edited by DougO

43 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Give me a 1-hour SportsCenter. A one-hour Gameday. Actual sports content that I care about watching. One-hour show of reasoned analysis. I'd take that channel. The rest is fluff and people are tired of paying for the remaining 99% of shit.

The amazing thing about College GameDay is that it's literally 3x longer than it originally was and yet somehow has LESS content.

What made it great was back in the day they actually dove in and did analysis on pretty much every game of consequence each week.

Now, the show is such a bloated mess with all of its lame "human interest" features that sometimes there will be games with two ranked teams playing and they won't even mention it until the stupid "picks" segment at the end.

• Like 2

The amazing thing about College GameDay is that it's literally 3x longer than it originally was and yet somehow has LESS content.
What made it great was back in the day they actually dove in and did analysis on pretty much every game of consequence each week.
Now, the show is such a bloated mess with all of its lame "human interest" features that sometimes there will be games with two ranked teams playing and they won't even mention it until the stupid "picks" segment at the end.
It's a mess and I haven't watched it in years other than occasionally checking in to see if they talk about Texas. Someone basically stated it above, but ESPN:Sports = MTV:Music.

Ain'tNobodygottime.gif

Yeah when Game Day started, it was a must watch for the breakdown of the games. And the signs. Now, it’s not worth it for either.
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter what they do or don't talk about, I'm not going to start watching again. I watched Sportscenter when I was a kid and teenager. I'm not a teenager anymore and have no interest in watching it. 

Just like if MTV started showing all music videos again, I wouldn't watch that either. 

8 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

It's a mess and I haven't watched it in years other than occasionally checking in to see if they talk about Texas. Someone basically stated it above, but ESPN:Sports = MTV:Music.

Ain'tNobodygottime.gif

Yeah I stopped watching it a while ago.  I might tune in for a few minutes when the show originates from Stillwater just to see how everything looks, but other than that, it's a hard pass.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, Foosters said:

They are teens or early 20's, which means they're idiots no matter which way they lean. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 4:17 PM, EastTexan said:

When they stop showing the hot dog eating championship, I'm out.

"Until he lies, coins on his eyes, duty done, wages paid, battle won... He will fight. For he is a champion of now and of always, of north and of south. Of the air. Of the fire. Of the sea. Of the land. Of the free. Of the 4th of July. 

Of ONE NATION! UNDER GOD! INDIVISIBLE. 

HE IS CHAMPION!

JOOOOOEEEEEEEYYYYYYY CHESTNUUUUUUUTTT"

George Shea. American treasure. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

LaVar Ball says and does stupid shit, but banning him to appear on ESPN for what he said to Molly seems like a huge overreaction.... Check out video below

"Report: ESPN Bans LaVar Ball After Inappropriate Remark to Molly Qerim" 

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/19/lavar-ball-wont-appear-espn-molly-qerim-comments

Funny part about this is a good Lawyer could probably file a lawsuit against ESPN for LaVar over this... 😄

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Funny part about this is a good Lawyer could probably file a lawsuit against ESPN for LaVar over this... 😄

Explain to me how this lawsuit would work where you sue a private company because they have decided never to invite you back onto their premises.

• Like 1

“You can switch gears with me anytime” was it?  Sure it was a vague old school flirty, sexist remark but I doubt she hasn’t heard worse in the woke halls of ESPN this week alone. Not defending the guy. He’s a douche but that was pretty mild.  I guess they do have to overreact however to live up to the holier than thou standard they set. 

• Like 2

I had SC on when I was working this morning, and they did about a 10 minute segment with SAS and Kellerman arguing about who was going to be the NBA MVP in 2020.  WTF?  Who gives a shit about that right now?

If SC wants to bring back their old audience, they need to flip over to MLB Network and look at how they do Quick Pitch, which is fucking awesome.  

• Like 1

“You can switch gears with me anytime” was it?  Sure it was a vague old school flirty, sexist remark but I doubt she hasn’t heard worse in the woke halls of ESPN this week alone. Not defending the guy. He’s a douche but that was pretty mild.  I guess they do have to overreact however to live up to the holier than thou standard they set. 

That’s one of those things where you get butt hurt if you are looking for a reason to be butt hurt.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Explain to me how this lawsuit would work where you sue a private company because they have decided never to invite you back onto their premises.

Defamation lawsuit.  Possibly some discrimination opportunities because they have brought guests back that have said or done worse than what LaVar just did.

Attorneys live for this shit.  You think ESPN wants to open their records up.  I doubt it.  Go back and watch video.... LaVar did not behave as badly as many reports have stated. All he said was "You can switch anytime".  That's it.

Wonder what all has been said or written by ESPN folks publicly and privately.  Yeah there is lawsuit potential here for LaVar.

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

ESPN has known this guy was a clown for a long time, his son just got traded away from LA, this was a perfect opportunity for them to get rid of him. I don’t think it has a thing to do with him being flirty. 

Agree... big overreaction by Molly and ESPN folks...

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Defamation lawsuit.  Possibly some discrimination opportunities because they have brought guests back that have said or done worse than what LaVar just did.

Attorneys live for this shit.  You think ESPN wants to open their records up.  I doubt it.  Go back and watch video.... LaVar did not behave as badly as many reports have stated. All he said was "You can switch anytime".  That's it.

Wonder what all has been said or written by ESPN folks publicly and privately.  Yeah there is lawsuit potential here for LaVar.

How is there defamation here keeping in mind that he is a public figure?

48 minutes ago, Zombie said:

How is there defamation here keeping in mind that he is a public figure?

I'll let anyone who is an attorney take over from here.... there are reasons LaVar could file a lawsuit against ESPN and other publications.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

ESPN has known this guy was a clown for a long time, his son just got traded away from LA, this was a perfect opportunity for them to get rid of him. I don’t think it has a thing to do with him being flirty. 

This.  They put this clod on because he's controversial and (they assume) he brings eyeballs.  So when the scorpion acts like a scorpion, they of course get all PC and are shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

Despite the fact that LeVar deserves to be reduced to cooking ramen over a one-burner stove in some 300 square foot apartment, never to be seen and heard from again, I half wish he could dump a suit on their laps and wrangle some money out of ESPN.  You poke the bear, the bear eats you.  Fuck them for their sanctimoniousness.  They had it coming right up their poopyholes.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2