ESPN finally getting its shit together- no more politics

Goo Punch

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I'll let anyone who is an attorney take over from here.... there are reasons LaVar could file a lawsuit against ESPN and other publications.

What you're stating is not interesting.  THere actually don't have to be reasons to file a lawsuit. 

I could file a lawsuit against ESPN because I find SAS annoying.  I'd have zero chance to win that lawsuit, though, which is the interesting issue --could I win the lawsuit?

LaVar would also have zero chance of winning his.  

Edited by Beau Vine

On 6/5/2019 at 8:32 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah when Game Day started, it was a must watch for the breakdown of the games. And the signs. Now, it’s not worth it for either.

I typically watch the first GameDay of the year, because holy shit college football is back! And then after that, I might try to tune in for the opening 20-30 minutes of the show the first couple of weeks (up until the first Rinaldi sob story and off it goes) for nostalgia purposes, until I get tired of it. By October the TV doesn't come on until the first kickoff(s) at 11 AM.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:00 AM, Armybrat said:

I’m still paying $200+  monthly for Spectrum (3 cable boxes around the house) we only DVR programming from maybe a dozen channels. Am not sure how this streaming stuff works. 

We do have a 4g wireless router for the tablets and new Samsung smartass 4K TV. I did finally figure out (with Surly help) how to get the Internet on said TV. Did see all those icons for the subscription services, but don’t have a clue how those work or how to pay for them.

@Armybrat  Just so you know, streaming is pretty easy.  You know how to work youtube, right?  That's streaming. You go to a website, log in, and watch videos/movies/games whatever.  On these streaming sites, unlike youtube, you have to have a login, which also means that you are paying for a subscription.

Now, add in that a lot of streaming sites have their own little apps or programs for your phone or tablet.  Instead of going to the website, you open the app, which has stored your login (after you put it in once), and watch the videos/movies/games whatever in the app instead of on a website.

Then, consider that your "smartass tv" has a lot of the same apps that you can get on your phone or tablet.  So you log into it on your TV and watch videos/movies/games whatever on your tv just like it's a giant tablet or PC.

What I would do is if there is something you are interested in subscribing to, say Netflix, go sign in on your pc or tablet.  You will get a login (username and password) and arrange to pay for it by credit card after a trial period ends.  You use that exact same login on the Netflix app on your TV.  It's a pain in the ass to type on the tv, but all you have to do is bang out your username and password that you set up on computer or tablet.  Voila, you are streaming.

And you, too, can start depriving cable companies and cable channels of viewership and revenue.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

@Armybrat  Just so you know, streaming is pretty easy.  You know how to work youtube, right?  That's streaming. You go to a website, log in, and watch videos/movies/games whatever.  On these streaming sites, unlike youtube, you have to have a login, which also means that you are paying for a subscription.

Now, add in that a lot of streaming sites have their own little apps or programs for your phone or tablet.  Instead of going to the website, you open the app, which has stored your login (after you put it in once), and watch the videos/movies/games whatever in the app instead of on a website.

Then, consider that your "smartass tv" has a lot of the same apps that you can get on your phone or tablet.  So you log into it on your TV and watch videos/movies/games whatever on your tv just like it's a giant tablet or PC.

What I would do is if there is something you are interested in subscribing to, say Netflix, go sign in on your pc or tablet.  You will get a login (username and password) and arrange to pay for it by credit card after a trial period ends.  You use that exact same login on the Netflix app on your TV.  It's a pain in the ass to type on the tv, but all you have to do is bang out your username and password that you set up on computer or tablet.  Voila, you are streaming.

1. Go to reddit dot com slash r slash cfbstreams

2. scroll down to the game you want to watch and click on it

3. choose a streamer (sometimes 3. and 4. need to be repeated)

4. some ("many") of the streamers have ad-links on top of the screen image; x them

Not highly user-friendly, but cheap.

Also, with regard to painful mouse-typing on TV screens: spend $20 on a bluetooth keyboard, pair it with your tv, and quit that fucking mouse-typing. 

Alternatively, Playstation Vue has a top level of around $65 / month for everything else plus more damn sports channels than you really want. Any decent-speed ISP will run that shit just fine, and you can watch all that shit from your TV, PC, tablet, phone... I think it's at least 3 to 5 devices simultaneously, and you can log into Vue on the road.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Alternatively, Playstation Vue has a top level of around $65 / month for everything else plus more damn sports channels than you really want. Any decent-speed ISP will run that shit just fine, and you can watch all that shit from your TV, PC, tablet, phone... I think it's at least 3 to 5 devices simultaneously, and you can log into Vue on the road.

and you can sign up on a moment's notice, so the day before the season starts, without having to schedule an "installation" with a technician onsite

we have it from August through the CFB championship game, and then again in March, and the rest of the year we just use Netflix/Prime Video

[mention=1205]Armybrat[/mention]  Just so you know, streaming is pretty easy.  You know how to work youtube, right?  That's streaming. You go to a website, log in, and watch videos/movies/games whatever.  On these streaming sites, unlike youtube, you have to have a login, which also means that you are paying for a subscription.
And you, too, can start depriving cable companies and cable channels of viewership and revenue.

This is the modern day Jules and Vincent Vega scene in the elevator.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So the answer to their problems is to center a show around Peyton Manning?!?!?  Why am I getting bombarded with ads for "Peyton's Places" from what used to be a sports channel?  Who in their right mind is going to watch a single second of that?!?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27208560/peyton-places-watch-episode-manning-espn-plus-show

57 minutes ago, nnm said:

So the answer to their problems is to center a show around Peyton Manning?!?!?  Why am I getting bombarded with ads for "Peyton's Places" from what used to be a sports channel?  Who in their right mind is going to watch a single second of that?!?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27208560/peyton-places-watch-episode-manning-espn-plus-show

?

"The 30-episode series revisits seminal moments in NFL history through conversations with former players, coaches and other key figures about football and its cultural impact."

I'm not a fan of Manning or ESPN and won't watch, and it's on ESPN Plus anyway. But that doesn't sound like something WTF for ESPN. It sounds like reasonable soft-sports sports programming. And Manning is a television personality now-- he's hosted SNL and the ESPYs. 

None of that sounds good to me but I don't think the logical response is to pretend that it doesn't sound good to anyone. 

• 6 months later...

Me and my family got DIRECTV back in 1995 - 1996. Back then, ESPN was pretty much the go-to place when it came to sports. NFL coverage, Baseball coverage, NBA coverage, you name it. Chris Berman was a likeable personality who instilled charm in his television show. You didn't have the politics and the endless rambling of idiot talking heads like you do now. What mattered was the sports coverage. I watched many, many epic football rivalries and baseball rivalries on ESPN. Watching the Yankees play against the Red Sox was a treat, mainly because as a long time baseball fan, I live on the West Coast where it was difficult to watch any games in the East.

I definitely started noticing ESPN taking a sharp nosedive sometime in the early 2000s. Talk shows like Around the Horn became more prominent. Chris Berman was being pushed to the side to make way for talking heads who were mostly there to be heard on national television. ESPN starting glamorizing award shows and they started focusing more on their publicity rather than their coverage. Around the Horn was becoming so prominent they even put a snippet of it in the 2005 movie 'Mr 3000', starring Bernie Mac. This was what ESPN wanted and that was where they were going. 

Certain athletes/celebrities like Barry Bonds, who was chasing Hank Aaron's home run record at the time, garnered more attention from ESPN than the actual sports coverage. They put an emphasis on Bonds to the point where he got his own reality show (Bonds on Bonds), which ended up being a disaster both for him and for the producers involved. I don't care what people said, that was NOT sports coverage, that was a steroid fueled drug user being humiliated on his own show while ESPN began raking in the money for attention. I still remember the Michael Vick fiasco back in 2007 lasting what seemed like forever on ESPN, the talking heads wouldn't stop talking about it.

Today ESPN is pretty much obsolete. Everything they cover you can pretty much obtain ahead of time via the internet. Numerous apps on your smartphone make reading and watching sports coverage much quicker and easier than ESPN will ever be able to pull off. They exist nowadays solely to get profits from the few viewers who still tune in to their stations.

ESPN, MTV, TLC, History Channel, Food Network, Weather Channel, all the big stations have long ago lost their original purpose and appeal. ESPN is literally a joke and a laughing stock. I don't see how anybody can take them seriously anymore. Especially with all the political crap that seems into their talk shows. Complete waste of time and energy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

Certain athletes/celebrities like Barry Bonds, who was chasing Hank Aaron's home run record at the time, garnered more attention from ESPN than the actual sports coverage. They put an emphasis on Bonds to the point where he got his own reality show (Bonds on Bonds), which ended up being a disaster both for him and for the producers involved. I don't care what people said, that was NOT sports coverage, that was a steroid fueled drug user being humiliated on his own show while ESPN began raking in the money for attention. I still remember the Michael Vick fiasco back in 2007 lasting what seemed like forever on ESPN, the talking heads wouldn't stop talking about it.

Yeah, this drives me crazy.  On an almost daily basis, ESPN has front page coverage of Lebron James' son.  I also noticed wall-to-wall coverage of Serena Williams as the Australian Open began.  As soon as she was out ... almost nothing on the women's side.  I was shocked when I found out, by accident, that another American had made the final (and won).  

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yeah, this drives me crazy.  On an almost daily basis, ESPN has front page coverage of Lebron James' son.  I also noticed wall-to-wall coverage of Serena Williams as the Australian Open began.  As soon as she was out ... almost nothing on the women's side.  I was shocked when I found out, by accident, that another American had made the final (and won).  

This really started happening back in the mid 2000s. I definitely recall ESPN talking about Lance Armstrong (back before he was caught lying about blood doping in the Tour de France) in such a fashion that virtually nothing else was being covered.

ESPN is basically a platform for favoritism. Michael Jordan was the face of the NBA in the 1990s. But back then ESPN didn't make front page coverage about him in such a glaring manner that they do with Lebron James, or Serena Williams, or Tom Brady or any superstar.

When Barry Bonds was involved in the BALCO scandal a lot of footage was basically him and his chase to break Hank Aaron's home run record. By the time Michael Vick got into trouble it was all about him in the news footage. Same with Lance Armstrong with his blood doping.

There's just no point to watch ESPN anymore. Their current commentators are a joke. Stuart Scott and Peter Gammons at least kept me watching. Chris Berman I always got joy from his commentary. Sad that Stuart passed away.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, RoundRocked said:

All I want is sportscenter to be restored to its former glory. I Remember waking up every day before school and watching sportscenter growing up and it rarely made me think about changing the channel.  

A fine dream.   I'm old, and my memory isn't highly reliable, but I swear SC used to group sports highlights together.  I could watch FB highlights all at once and then if they went to other sports; baseball, basketball, hockey, if it was fall, I could move on.    I could get all my football highlights at once and get on w/ my day.  Now, in order to keep you tuned in, they mix it all up.  Fuck that, I won't watch women's basketball highlights mixed in w/ football.  And, therefor, won't watch SC anymore. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Really weird how much I agree with @Spaz on about ESPN but then he loved Berman. Berman got so full of himself that he became the first example of ESPN trying to make personalities more important than the sports themselves. 

If you didn't know anything about Berman, his schtick was kind of endearingly dorky circa 1990. That was blissful ignorance for me as a teenager. I was never a big Berman fan but I could take him as a part of the ESPN cultural tapestry, and NFL Prime Time was appointment TV for me from the day we got cable through the mid-90s. 

If you go back and read the contemporary media profiles of him now, he was always a disgusting egomaniac and what he became by the late 90s and after was totally predictable. He makes Keith Olbermann sound mildly self-centered by comparison. He always wanted to be personally bigger than the sport he was covering, and he wanted ESPN to BE the story, long before it became an obvious possibility. 

All of that may have happened without him, of course, but no one typifies the negative evolution of ESPN better than Berman.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Me and my family got DIRECTV back in 1995 - 1996. Back then, ESPN was pretty much the go-to place when it came to sports. NFL coverage, Baseball coverage, NBA coverage, you name it. Chris Berman was a likeable personality who instilled charm in his television show. You didn't have the politics and the endless rambling of idiot talking heads like you do now. What mattered was the sports coverage. I watched many, many epic football rivalries and baseball rivalries on ESPN. Watching the Yankees play against the Red Sox was a treat, mainly because as a long time baseball fan, I live on the West Coast where it was difficult to watch any games in the East.

I definitely started noticing ESPN taking a sharp nosedive sometime in the early 2000s. Talk shows like Around the Horn became more prominent. Chris Berman was being pushed to the side to make way for talking heads who were mostly there to be heard on national television. ESPN starting glamorizing award shows and they started focusing more on their publicity rather than their coverage. Around the Horn was becoming so prominent they even put a snippet of it in the 2005 movie 'Mr 3000', starring Bernie Mac. This was what ESPN wanted and that was where they were going. 

Today ESPN is pretty much obsolete. Everything they cover you can pretty much obtain ahead of time via the internet. Numerous apps on your smartphone make reading and watching sports coverage much quicker and easier than ESPN will ever be able to pull off. They exist nowadays solely to get profits from the few viewers who still tune in to their stations.

ESPN, MTV, TLC, History Channel, Food Network, Weather Channel, all the big stations have long ago lost their original purpose and appeal. ESPN is literally a joke and a laughing stock. I don't see how anybody can take them seriously anymore. Especially with all the political crap that seems into their talk shows. Complete waste of time and energy.

my family and I

• Like 1

The original version of ESPN was like Blockbuster. Then the internet happened, and people began to consume information differently. I agree that I probably wouldn't sit down and watch Sportscenter anymore the way I did in college. Really, 24 hours sports reporting is a dying form of media/entertainment. I only watch for live sporting events +/- 10 minutes on either side of the broadcast.

I will only watch youtube highlights of the morning talk shows if they are talking about the teams I root for.

33 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I miss the old ESPN too, but if SportsCenter all of a sudden became its former self, I doubt I'm tuning in.  Been covered a million times, but I can watch any highlight I want and look up any score.  I don't have to wait 30 minutes and 4 commercial breaks to see Luka Doncic's triple double.

Exactly. Think about the number of times you've seen the highlights from the 11 AM games by halftime of the Saturday night game. I nostalgically miss the feeling of watching Sunday morning Sportscenter and seeing all the Saturday highlights, but I can't really spend the time sitting through highlights of 17 games I already saw the day before, waiting on Sportscenter to serve up the one or two games I didn't get to see. 

The model doesn't work now that we have so many ways to get what we're looking for. 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

The original version of ESPN was like Blockbuster. Then the internet happened, and people began to consume information differently. I agree that I probably wouldn't sit down and watch Sportscenter anymore the way I did in college. Really, 24 hours sports reporting is a dying form of media/entertainment. I only watch for live sporting events +/- 10 minutes on either side of the broadcast.

I will only watch youtube highlights of the morning talk shows if they are talking about the teams I root for.

About the only thing I'm sure I'd view in the same manner as I did as a 16 year old would be NFL Prime Time. I don't understand why the theme song didn't follow them to ESPN+. Something about the nostalgia of catching those highlights broadcasts right after the Sunday games just sits right with me. 

• Like 2

I haven't had cable for years, but have happened to have it for most of the last 2 years.

I would say that I watch ESPN about 60% of the time.

I watched a lot of Tennis Channel during the Aussie Open, but after a certain time of day, the matches switched over to ESPN. I loved seeing Serena lose and discovered the Russian-born American girl who eventually won the event from watching Tennis Channel & ESPN. Almost no one follows the Australian Open due to the time zone issues, but I was keeping vampire hours, so I'm became very aware that Frank Thomas uses Nugenix products to nail his workouts and he also recommends them because the ladies will love the new you too.

Re: ESPN Talking Heads -> Celebrities..

For some reason this week ESPN is going to flip NBA & college basketball color commentators to the level that they don't cover. I'm not sure what they are trying to gain from that, but I found it a little stupid.

Their website is still the industry standard and I only go to other sports sites to watch soccer coverage from European leagues that have exclusive rights deals which prevent ESPN from providing highlights.

I will say that they have decided that deifying Kobe Bryant while sweeping his rape under the rug has been rather irritating. Again, I do think that dealing with the backlash from raping that teenager in Colorado opened his eyes and changed him, but he wasn't an angel before he raped the girl and he wasn't a born-again angel after he apologized and settled the civil case out of court. He appeared to be a good dad who died with his daughter and 7 other people, but Jesus... let's move on a bit.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, Napoleon said:

I will say that they have decided that deifying Kobe Bryant while sweeping his rape under the rug has been rather irritating. Again, I do think that dealing with the backlash from raping that teenager in Colorado opened his eyes and changed him, but he wasn't an angel before he raped the girl and he wasn't a born-again angel after he apologized and settled the civil case out of court. He appeared to be a good dad who died with his daughter and 7 other people, but Jesus... let's move on a bit.

Now Kobe Bryant is dead...

Some of the shit he did in the past off the court was bad, sure, but he was definitely a star player who I looked up to back in the 1990s. However his confrontations with Shaquille O'Neal made me lose a lot of respect for him, and of course the rape pretty much sealed the deal.

Still, a real tragedy that he's gone.

As far as the Kobe thing, I thought it was interesting how the mass media was lavishing praise on a rapist who they considered a perfect God-like hero and perfect role model on the exact same day they were burying another rapist as the human scum he is, that everybody always knew he was, but looked the other way for decades...until it became appropriate to turn on him on command. The media is so full of shit.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DougO said:

As far as the Kobe thing, I thought it was interesting how the mass media was lavishing praise on a rapist who they considered a perfect God-like hero and perfect role model on the exact same day they were burying another rapist as the human scum he is, that everybody always knew he was, but looked the other way for decades...until it became appropriate to turn on him on command. The media is so full of shit.

Well yes, the media is full of shit. But they have done a lot in the past 10 - 20 years or so that made the general public, not just the American public, automatically hate on a celebrity or athlete just because without really questioning why.

I admired Kobe Bryant back in the day when he was a kid for the Los Angeles Lakers in the late 1990s. After the rape shit came out I lost all respect for him. But much of that was the media painting a broad brush to have people just go with whatever crap they were given. Kobe Bryant raped someone. But without America's obsession with celebrities and sports stars, the whole media coverage of Kobe wouldn't of stretched on for so long. I know this applies to a few other countries, not just the United States. But time and time again I can't help but think that America puts far too much emphasis and attention to those celebrities. Because we idolize a group of people who have more fame and more money than any of us on this website will probably ever have.

The fact is, the media thrives on celebrity/athlete tragedies and fuck ups. They dragged on Barry Bonds alleged usage of steroids for what seemed like forever, and they did the same thing with Michael Vick after the shit he pulled. The media was on a frenzy when Lance Armstrong lied about his blood doping, which immediately resulted in his Tour de France titles being stripped, and rightfully so.

Even Bill Cosby, who I once regarded as a great comedian and actor, destroyed all credibility and reputation he had with those sexual allegations. The media thrives and lives on this shit. Because without these celebrities, athletes and politicians doing their fuck ups, some of these media outlets would of died off a long time ago.

ESPN now is focused squarely on talking heads bitching about whatever sports news story is juicy. Or masturbating over Lebron James because apparently anything he fucking does is news worthy. Give me a fucking break.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 12:39 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

I never have and never will give a rat’s about the opinions of skip bayless, Steven A Smith, Jason Whitlock, Tony kornheiser, Shannon sharpe, Kirk herb street, or any of the others.

This is the most recent relevant mention of his name, but Whitlock is out at Fox Sports now too. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/controversial-host-jason-whitlock-is-out-at-fox-sports-235745734.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:27 PM, Goo Punch said:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/21/jimmy-pitaro-espn-la-times-politics/ 

10:10 AM 05/21/2019 | SPORTS

David Hookstead | Reporter
ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro is doing everything in his power to end politics seeping into the network’s coverage.

"Just kidding.  We meant we'll be mostly talking about 'political/social change' from now on." 

-ESPN/Disney.  

Edited by Monster
  • Like 2

Someone made the comparison of SC to Blockbuster and it’s very appropriate; no matter what they do, highlight shows will never command the audience they did back in the day. When I was a freshman in the dorm (1985) it packed the TV rooms at 10:30 every single night...

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

They have got to be hemorrhaging $$$ right now. Been losing viewers for a while now barely any sports going on. Is Sportscenter just a 3 hour rehash of NASCAR right now?

I deleted my ESPN app this weekend. It sent me a notification about UT. When I clicked it, most of what I saw was political crap with nothing about UT. That was the last remnant of ESPN in my life.

• Like 4

Beyond the politics stuff, there are just too many other sources for entertainment these days. While I think people still love watching the major sports as much as they ever did, the person who is willing to spend several hours a day watch sports related shows (panel of ex jocks and smoking hot chicks pretend to yell at each other about who will contend for the Western conference, etc) or highlight shows are fewer and far between (at least relative to the prime years of Sportscenter). Not exactly a hot take.

Also there are just other sources for the same info who do it better - NFL network for example.

I am not in any way apologizing for ESPN, which I never watch unless somehow there's  a UT game on, but it's got to be hard to be a sports programming network when there are no sports, and it has to be equally hard to be a sports network and not talk about politics when it is politics that have killed the sports on which you rely for your sports content.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am not in any way apologizing for ESPN, which I never watch unless somehow there's  a UT game on, but it's got to be hard to be a sports programming network when there are no sports, and it has to be equally hard to be a sports network and not talk about politics when it is politics that have killed the sports on which you rely for your sports content.

Didn’t the virus have a small part?

• Like 1

I have to give them credit for the 30 for 30 stuff and E60 docs, at least funding them and now airing them more since they have nothing else. The Lance and Bruce Lee stuff they have been showing a lot lately are great.

That's about it. They suck so bad. They love to jerk themselves off to the "best of" their commercials for themselves.

• Like 1