ESPN finally getting its shit together- no more politics

Goo Punch

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

GWbvB3Zf_bigger.jpg.    247Sports     @247Sports
3h
In a revamped lineup set for August, college football reporter Laura Rutledge is set to host ESPN's NFL Live alongside analysts Marcus Spears, Dan Orlovsky, Keyshawn Johnson and Mina Kimes.   
https://247sports.com/Article/ESPN-r

"If you have a problem with Keyshawn Johnson, you have a problem with yourself." - Keyshawn Johnson

• Haha 1

Golic & Wingo done. 

ESPN said it would cancel its flagship morning radio program, “Golic & Wingo,” while bringing Mike Greenberg, half of the team that helped the Disney sports-media giant carve a bigger business in the audio world, back to the medium as part of a reworking of its national lineup.

Greenberg, who spent 17 years with co-host Mike Golic on the morning radio program “Mike & Mike,” will keep his duties on the ESPN mid-morning TV program, “Get Up,” which he has helped anchor since the Spring of 2018. But he will also lead a new two-hour radio show that airs between noon and 2 p.m. weekdays. His former partner Golic will leave mornings along with Trey Wingo. The pair has hosted their program since November of 2017.

——

The new weekday schedule, which kicks off Monday, August 17, can be heard on SiriusXM, and ESPN venues. Many of the programs will be simulcast on either ESPN2 or ESPNEWS.

——

Former NFL player Keyshawn Johnson, NBA analyst Jay Williams, and “SportsCenter” anchor Zubin Mehenti will replace “Golic & Wingo” as the lead-off to ESPN’s morning audio schedule. “Keyshawn, Jay and Rubin” will air between 6-10 a.m. and discuss the top stories of the morning and overnight.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/espn-radio-reshuffle-golic-wingo-220633579.html

Edited by ss13

2 hours ago, ss13 said:

Mothership ESPN in a death spiral.

My sports news consisted of Sirius XM College Sports Channel (which is ESPN and will likely get watered down to save $$$ as well) with Mad Dog sprinkled for baseball takes ... so maybe I’m out of the loop.

But, gawd. 

Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams? At 6AM? Brutal.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Like 1

Mothership ESPN in a death spiral.
My sports news consisted of Sirius XM College Sports Channel (which is ESPN and will likely get watered down to save $$$ as well) with Mad Dog sprinkled for baseball takes ... so maybe I’m out of the loop.
But, gawd. 
Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams? At 6AM? Brutal.

Try Sirius XM 204. VSIN.
“Follow the Money” is a great morning drive show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Wingo is the classic case of someone that tries too hard. Mike and Mike may have been “bubble gum” sports radio, but I always enjoyed their show. They had great chemistry together and the show flowed pretty easily. ESPN radio has pretty much been dead to me since their best lineup of Mike & Mike>Cowherd>SVP & Rusillo. SVP & Rusillo circa 2012-2015 was just fantastic.

• Like 3

When I was younger at least 50% of my tv/radio time was spent on sports shows. Not sure if it's an age thing or not, but starting I guess around my early 40's I slowed down watching sports shows and listening to sports radio. Now in my 50's I spend less way less than 1% of my tv/radio time on sports shows. As far as watching sports, I catch all Horns football games, a few big basketball games, and a few big baseball games. On football Saturdays I channel surf most of the day when the Horns aren't playing. NFL, NBA, MLB I don't watch regular season at all and only catch the playoffs if Astros, Rockets, Texans or Cowboys are playing. Just curious if any of you other olds don't care like you used to.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

When I was younger at least 50% of my tv/radio time was spent on sports shows. Not sure if it's an age thing or not, but starting I guess around my early 40's I slowed down watching sports shows and listening to sports radio. Now in my 50's I spend less way less than 1% of my tv/radio time on sports shows. As far as watching sports, I catch all Horns football games, a few big basketball games, and a few big baseball games. On football Saturdays I channel surf most of the day when the Horns aren't playing. NFL, NBA, MLB I don't watch regular season at all and only catch the playoffs if Astros, Rockets, Texans or Cowboys are playing. Just curious if any of you other olds don't care like you used to.

Ditto to almost everything you said. Sports got way oversaturated, over-covered, over-analyzed. The shows just aren’t interesting or engaging. I haven’t watched Sportscenter in at least 15 years. Unless it’s a team I’m directly interested in, I just don’t care. 
During CFB season, there are 2-3 podcasts (all covered in the “podcasts” thread) that I’ll listen to occasionally, and I’m obviously on a couple of sports message boards, but that’s about it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

My job, wife, and kids seriously cut into my ability to focus on and watch sports.

Those are the 3 reason why I DO focus on sports, just after alcohol.

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Ditto to almost everything you said. Sports got way oversaturated, over-covered, over-analyzed. The shows just aren’t interesting or engaging. I haven’t watched Sportscenter in at least 15 years. Unless it’s a team I’m directly interested in, I just don’t care. 
During CFB season, there are 2-3 podcasts (all covered in the “podcasts” thread) that I’ll listen to occasionally, and I’m obviously on a couple of sports message boards, but that’s about it. 

Agreed-- I'm just glad I didn't go into sports media and make it a career given how little I ended up caring about everything sports-related besides UT football and basketball.

It's really hard to assign "blame" to the "why" behind that change. As w @DNAGuy, I have other stuff to think about and do, all of which takes precedence over sports. But I also decided a long time ago that my interest in sports was going to be on my terms, and the political hectoring wasn't welcome in my living room. When I tuned in for a diversion and was presented what felt like an attitude of, "no diversions allowed, what are you going to do, not watch?", my answer was "yes". 

I do not, however, pretend that mine is as simple as "GET WOKE GO BROKE". My interest had already waned to varying degrees, for varying reasons. The need to signify politically-- it wasn't the only factor, wasn't even the primary one, and would not have driven me away in 1994 or 1999. I told myself a long time ago that I could easily pull the ripcord on anything but Texas football, and that's been true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

This is how I am as well, 46 and I care less about sports every day. I used to consume every pre and post game show, watched Sportscenter multiple times a day, watched every game I could get. Before everything got cancelled, I was only watching football and only my team. Now I just don't care, cancel it all for good and I won't be bothered. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Not sure if it's an age thing or not, but starting I guess around my early 40's I slowed down watching sports shows and listening to sports radio. 

36 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Agreed-- I'm just glad I didn't go into sports media and make it a career given how little I ended up caring about everything sports-related besides UT... 

I got out of sports-media just before I turned 30 for this precise reason. I was getting bored with it then and I've reached the point that I am only interested if the Longhorns or Astros are on. When the day came that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of Spring Training and dreaded going over to The Summit for Rockets' post-game, I knew I was done. I also knew I was leaving the best job I'd ever have, but I just couldn't stomach it any longer.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I got out of sports-media just before I turned 30 for this precise reason. I was getting bored with it then and I've reached the point that I am only interested if the Longhorns or Astros are on. When the day came that I didn't want to deal with the hassle of Spring Training and dreaded going over to The Summit for Rockets' post-game, I knew I was done. I also knew I was leaving the best job I'd ever have, but I just couldn't stomach it any longer.

Add me to the list. My interest in everything except CFB has just about evaporated--including especially the NFL. I attribute my general loss of interest largely to the unwanted and unnecessary incursion of politics into sport. The shit going on these days is just about to get me out completely.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Add me to the list. My interest in everything except CFB has just about evaporated--including especially the NFL. I attribute my general loss of interest largely to the unwanted and unnecessary incursion of politics into sport. The shit going on these days is just about to get me out completely.

My interest in NBA went first—terrible product. Then NFL. Then MLB, except when Astros are out-cheating the rest of the league. CFB, college baseball, and college basketball in March are about all that interest me. My son just graduated from HS, and played 4 sports. Those are a heck of a lot more fun to watch than any of the above except CFB. 

• Like 1

It's age, options and politics. I have so many more entertainment options at home as well as outside the home that I can enjoy and still not miss the important sports moments. Plus I get to skip the fake empathy moments.

And then you throw in the talking heads politicking. It's not a matter of POV they are taking, it's a matter of I don't care to listen regardless.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

I think if you were younger, you might be inclined to credulously say "oh this is an important issue on which I must listen and engage!" 

When over the years you learn "engage" in this context means "sit quietly and then agree with everything you've heard", engagement loses its appeal. 

6 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think if you were younger, you might be inclined to credulously say "oh this is an important issue on which I must listen and engage!" 

When over the years you learn "engage" in this context means "sit quietly and then agree with everything you've heard", engagement loses its appeal. 

Bingo.

39 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

It's age, options and politics. I have so many more entertainment options at home as well as outside the home that I can enjoy and still not miss the important sports moments. Plus I get to skip the fake empathy moments.

And then you throw in the talking heads politicking. It's not a matter of POV they are taking, it's a matter of I don't care to listen regardless.

the past 3-4 months have proven to me that I miss sports like a mofo.  No March Madness sucked.  No college baseball really sucked.  No MLB has been a beatdown- I watch about 150 games a year of the Astros.  I feel like there is zero chance of football getting played in 2020.

That beings said, I couldn't agree more on the talking heads and agitators.  I have tuned out on their asses for more than a decade now. IDGAF what they think they need to say about anything...and that's what gets me to the best part of sports:  Nobody knows, until that game is played.  I miss sports tremendously.

Politics doesn't bother me. Everyone is entitled to theirs and I'm entitled to hit the mute button when I don't want to hear it. I've never understood the Laura Ingraham "shut up and play argument" and telling people when and where they can express their views.  Seems like a slippery-path to chilling free speech when we start telling people they should shut up because they are not in a forum of my preference.

I always think of my maternal grandfather in Tomball when something like this comes up. In the early-70s he opened up the back of his television and attached a wire to it with an on/off switch on the end that he ran to his Lazy Boy on the other side of the den. It was the first mute button I can recall seeing and all because he wanted to pick and choose what he listened to on the nightly news.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Seems like a slippery-path to chilling free speech when we start telling people they should shut up because they are not in a forum of my preference.

Maybe not “shut up” but why does the fact that you won the genetic lottery and put in hard work to get paid to hit, throw or catch round objects make you qualified to tell us how the rest of the world should run?

Platform, voice, yada yada... but I’m thinking maybe we should listen to economists, political scientists, social workers, teachers, etc. when it comes to important stuff. Just because you have a microphone doesn’t mean you should keep talking into it.

• Like 1

If people honestly consume less actual sports because of politics, that sounds like the most snowflake thing I can imagine.

"Yeah I used to love watching Earl Campbell run over dudes, but then they started talking politics and now I just watch the news instead." Sounds like a bad diagnosis.

I watch less as I age due to having less time available, but I still make time for the games that are most important.  I'll watch every Longhorns or Cowboys game, or watch it delayed if necessary.

I watch less of the talking head stuff but that might just be due to my teams not being dominant anymore.  When the Mavs won in 2011, I wanted to watch every second of the talking head stuff to soak it in.  Same with Texas in 2005.  Maybe it's more than that, and I've just gotten over it.  

10 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Knobler, is this you?

I’m 51 now and my love if sports has subsided considerably as I’ve gotten older. I don’t watch college football outside of UT. I’ve only watched one college football title game since 2009 (season not year). I haven’t watched any of the playoff games. Mostly it’s because I can’t stand the way college football is setup to favor the SEC and also because I won’t watch ou. I don’t really watch baseball anymore and haven’t since 2011 when the Rangers lost again in the WS. I did watch both WS that the Astros were in, but that’s about it. I haven’t really watched hockey since the Stars still had Modano and Hatcher in the early 2000’s. I haven’t watched a minutes of the NBA playoffs or Finals that didn’t involve the Spurs since 98. If the Spurs weren’t playing, I wasn’t watching. The NFL is the only league I watch and I watch a lot of that. I watch all day Sunday, Monday Night, and a Thursday Night. My interest level isn’t quite the same as it was when the Cowboys were good in the 90’s. You can blame JJ for that. I do watch just about every Cowboys game though. I just cringe and curse whenever they show that POS on the screen.