u20 Men's World Cup - Poland

pacman

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Props to Weah. Now put him on the fucking senior team already Berhalter. 

That was my sentiment before this tournament.   But he has not been great.  Probably not in the top 3 players on this u20 side.  I think there is a reason Sargent and Adams are on the senior team already while Weah is still u20.  I still think Weah gets there and ends up being good, but he has a ways to go.    

4 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

That was my sentiment before this tournament.   But he has not been great.  Probably not in the top 3 players on this u20 side.  I think there is a reason Sargent and Adams are on the senior team already while Weah is still u20.  I still think Weah gets there and ends up being good, but he has a ways to go.    

I wish Sargent and Adams were on the u20 team for this tournament. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I wish Sargent was, I'm fine with Adams not being on the squad. Adams came in and played really well for Leipzig before he got hurt so he needs to be in the senior team plans right now and if it was a choice between the U20 Tournament and the Gold Cup for him then Gold Cup is the right choice.

Adams is a lock to start for the senior team so I am happy he is there.  If Sargent gets significant minutes in the Gold Cup, then that is great too.  Guys who can meaningfully contribute at that level should be working on gelling with the senior team.  

It would be fun to see those guys on the U20 and up our win chances a bit, but there is not a ton of prestige in winning this.  Its not like France are trotting out Mbappe and Guendouzi for this tournament. 

48 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Adams is our best player right now (and if he's 2nd it's to a healthy, in form Pulisic). I would drown myself in vodka and stick a pencil in my eye if we played him at anything but a senior level. 

54 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I wish Sargent was, I'm fine with Adams not being on the squad. Adams came in and played really well for Leipzig before he got hurt so he needs to be in the senior team plans right now and if it was a choice between the U20 Tournament and the Gold Cup for him then Gold Cup is the right choice.

46 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Adams is a lock to start for the senior team so I am happy he is there.  If Sargent gets significant minutes in the Gold Cup, then that is great too.  Guys who can meaningfully contribute at that level should be working on gelling with the senior team.  

It would be fun to see those guys on the U20 and up our win chances a bit, but there is not a ton of prestige in winning this.  Its not like France are trotting out Mbappe and Guendouzi for this tournament. 

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Adams is our best player right now (and if he's 2nd it's to a healthy, in form Pulisic). I would drown myself in vodka and stick a pencil in my eye if we played him at anything but a senior level. 

Messi and Agüero played for Argentina in the FIFA U-20 World Cup and Adams can’t carry either of those guys’ jocks. (Now or when they were 19/20.)

Adams and Sargent should be playing in the FIFA U-20 World Cup rather than the shitfest that is the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

You learn a shit-load more carrying your team to a semifinal/final/WIN in a World Cup at any age level than you do playing in 5 Gold Cups. 

Having those two skip the World Cup is one of the dumbest fucking things that US Soccer has done in the last 20 years and they’ve got a wall of shame 120 yards long of stupid fucking shit that they’ve done over that time. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Messi and Agüero played for Argentina in the FIFA U-20 World Cup and Adams can’t carry either of those guys’ jocks. (Now or when they were 19/20.)

Adams and Sargent should be playing in the FIFA U-20 World Cup rather than the shitfest that is the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

You learn a shit-load more carrying your team to a semifinal/final/WIN in a World Cup at any age level than you do playing in 5 Gold Cups. 

Having those two skip the World Cup is one of the dumbest fucking things that US Soccer has done in the last 20 years and they’ve got a wall of shame 120 yards long of stupid fucking shit that they’ve done over that time. 

Just an utterly nonsensical take.

• Haha 1

Two teams took nine points in the group stage, France who the US plays in the Round of 16 and Uruguay who the US would probably play in the Quarterfinals so the US got the hardest draw possible because they couldn't beat Ukraine despite out playing them.

In other news, Norway ran up the score on Honduras for nothing, they finished 6th among the third place teams and are eliminated.

the implied gambling odds suggest the US has a 15 percent chance to win which is the lowest odds to win a Round of 16 match. If they hadn't shit the bed against Ukraine they'd have a 63.6 percent chance to beat Panama (presuming the odds would be the same as they are for Ukraine-Panama)

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:

we've had a couple good runs here.

We've had almost no possession, but aren't giving up scoring chances. We're picking and choosing our spots, but it seems like scoring chances for us are going to be hard to come by so we need to make them count.

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

We've had almost no possession, but aren't giving up scoring chances. We're picking and choosing our spots, but it seems like scoring chances for us are going to be hard to come by so we need to make them count.

following the senior team's model