u20 Men's World Cup - Poland

pacman

ARG 4 - 5 MALI

I think that the Mali keeper’s Dave (2nd attempt) was the only time out of all 10 shots when the keeper guessed right. 

The shot wasn’t a good one either, but the only other stoppable shot of the 10 was Argentina’s 4th shot. 

None of Mali’s shots looked stoppable except for maybe their 4th, when the shooter watched  the Argie keeper commit to his right (kicker’s left) a little and then a little more, so the Mali guy just made a beautiful pass halfway up the right edge of the goal. 

Mali’s players looked completely unfazed by the PKs.

Man the US really fucked up with Sargent. He could be ballin in the World Cup right now with several people he will be playing on the Nats with in the future. Instead he is sitting at home playing for no one. Can we hire the entire Ajax or Dortmund staff from top to bottom to take over the entire US Federation?

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Man the US really fucked up with Sargent. He could be ballin in the World Cup right now with several people he will be playing on the Nats with in the future. Instead he is sitting at home playing for no one. Can we hire the entire Ajax or Dortmund staff from top to bottom to take over the entire US Federation?

I’ll take the Ajax crew first please. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I do not understand why he is not on our u-20 team? 

Yes, most of us would agree that the USFederation is and has been run by idiots.

22 hours ago, shnsajax said:

The Ajax U19s would probably beat the US national team.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Panama sucked and Colombia looks like shit through the first 65 minutes. Ukraine should be headed to the semifinals with relative ease which is super annoying because this should've been the US' path.

If we make the Semi's I would rather face South Korea or Senegal than the Italy-Mali winner. And you could make a case for Ecuador being the worst team left in the Quarters based on the tournament so far although they won the Conmebol tournament to qualify here. 

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

The Ajax U19s would probably beat the US national team.

Maybe this is tounge in cheek but the USMNT would smoke any collection of teenagers. Assuming we aren't playing any C teamers.

Now, give me Ajax U19 over US U20 any day.

Just now, shnsajax said:

If we make the Semi's I would rather face South Korea or Senegal than the Italy-Mali winner. And you could make a case for Ecuador being the worst team left in the Quarters based on the tournament so far although they won the Conmebol tournament to qualify here. 

Ecuador also beat Uruguay pretty handily in the Round of 16 and Uruguay was good in the group stage so who knows. 

3 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Ecuador also beat Uruguay pretty handily in the Round of 16 and Uruguay was good in the group stage so who knows. 

But they gave up two penalties on really sloppy defense, which does worry me a little bit. Ecuador only scored twice in the first 3 games before that. I think its going to be pretty open tomorrow which could be great for Weah. 

I am looking forward to Italy-Mali. Mali has scored 9 goals in 4 games and Italy has given up 1 so far and only scored 4. 

Edited by shnsajax

Interesting crossover from the Gold Cup roster, Sargent not being on the final roster brings to question WTF? he is doing not being on the u20 roster.

Soto certainly has shined but you have to wonder what GB and US Soccer is doing with Sargent.

10:30am v Ecuador

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/06/u-20-world-cup-what-can-united-states-expect-ecuador

In short? Very good. 

Earlier this year they were crowned South American champions for the first time in history, finishing ahead of Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia and Brazil. Ecuador's athleticism is nothing new, but this year the team have raised their level of technical and tactical ability.

With their ability to break in transition, Ecuador are expected to play either in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 where the wingers stay wide to spread the field and create gaps, not dissimilar to how Tab Ramos' side aims to find space. 

“They are very good," Macias said. "Ecuador has always been very physically tough, so if you’re physically tough and add talent, competition, it’s a very good thing."

Part of the way this crop of youngsters has improved hasn't just been on the field, but off it.

"How the youth teams are structured in Ecuador is very different than it was before," Macias said. "There is a developing program not just for a player, but as a person. Apart from being talented, they grew up with a better education and knowledge of a lot of stuff. That has a direct impact on the performance of the national team.”

And just minutes later, Italy is awarded a penalty.
Pinamonti converts with an excellently taken shot to the upper left corner that would've scored versus any keeper, in any tournament, at any time.

For sure. That was perfect. Not many could stop that

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Thanks to Michael Bradley (Portugal), the USA has never won two in a row in the knockout phase of a FIFA men's tournament at any level.

That's what's on the line in 90 minutes.

Thanks for that. Never too early to start drinking.

• Like 1

Okay, I lied.  It's eating me up.

The Portugal game was the 2nd in group in Brazil '14.

It *technically* wasn't a knockout game.  And even if we had won, we would still have finished 2nd in group behind ze deutsches on goals.  But winning 2 in a row is something we have got to start doing 30 years in to the modern era.

Without Bradley's fuckup which allowed Ronaldo to make a typical 100-meter world-class pass with seconds to go that created the goal, Juergen would have been the first US manager to win 2 in a row at the World Cup since Scotsman Robert "Bob" Millar did so in the first World Cup in 1930 with the US winning the first 2 games of Group 4 over Belgium and Paraguay by identical 3-0 results to advance to a semifinal where we were routed 1-6 by Argentina.

Interesting that Ochoa starts in goal after only playing one game so far.

Also, I haven't been overly impressed by Konrad De La Fuente. It's like he's in Barcelona's youth system so he's an unquestioned starter and I think there's a better option in Llanez.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Thanks to Michael Bradley (Portugal), the USA has never won two in a row in the knockout phase of a FIFA men's tournament at any level.

That's what's on the line in 90 minutes.

This isn't true by the way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_FIFA_Confederations_Cup

At least, if we're talking elimination games. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

Reached the quarters of 3 straight u20 world cups? Where are those players now and how has it not translated to success for the senior team? 

Well the 2017 guys are still relatively young and most of the time the U20 World Cup doesn't yield a TON of players to the senior team. The French team that won in 2013 put two starters on the 2018 World Cup team (Pogba, Umtiti)