Seattle

workswithseed

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Fremont used to be the funky (think SoCo) neighborhood of Seattle before all the condos took over. Still pretty neat as it is home to the Summer Solstice Parade ( I believe still) that is adorned with painted nudists (not awesome bodies) on bicycles. Gasworks Park is on the south end of this neighborhood where the houseboats/homes (Sleepless in Seattle) are and a great view of downtown. Awesome fireworks show in the summer months. Also home of the troll that is below the Fremont Bridge and boasts a Coldwar trophy, a bronze statue of Lenin.

Honestly I go there for the beer more than anything else with Fremont Brewing, Reuben's Brew, and Stoup all within a close distance from each other. But a fun area regardless.

5 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Honestly I go there for the beer more than anything else with Fremont Brewing, Reuben's Brew, and Stoup all within a close distance from each other. But a fun area regardless.

Wasn't bad mouthing it. We loved going to Fremont. Condos though ruined it a bit. Great taverns and eateries. Love Ballard too. 

Favorite burger place is Dick's ( think old school 50's/ American Graffiti joint, if you haven't been there) over by UDub.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

25 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Beautiful neighborhood. Pretty predominant LGBQT (NTTIAWWT) just so you know.

Fremont used to be the funky (think SoCo) neighborhood of Seattle before all the condos took over. Still pretty neat as it is home to the Summer Solstice Parade ( I believe still) that is adorned with painted nudists (not awesome bodies) on bicycles. Gasworks Park is on the south end of this neighborhood where the houseboats/homes (Sleepless in Seattle) are and a great view of downtown. Awesome fireworks show in the summer months. Also home of the troll that is below the Fremont Bridge and boasts a Coldwar trophy, a bronze statue of Lenin.

Mowich Lake out by Mt. Rainier. Though this time of year ( and with the winter they have had) , you will need proper warm/ snow clothing and footwear. Tiger Mountain out near Issaquah is great on a clear Day. Again, suspect this time of year. If you want to venture south and go through one of the most beautiful city parks (though really an old growth forest that has been maintained), go to Tacoma and hike the trails through Pt. Defiance.  It is a peninsula surrounded by Puget Sound with great views of the Narrows Bridges. This is the bridge (Galloping Gertie) that tore itself apart during a windstorm in the 40s. You can see newsreel coverage of it on Youtube. 

The road to the trail head for Mowich isn't usually open this early.  I went last year at the end of June and that was my intended hike, but it wasn't open then.

Mowich Lake out by Mt. Rainier. Though this time of year ( and with the winter they have had) , you will need proper warm/ snow clothing and footwear. Tiger Mountain out near Issaquah is great on a clear Day. Again, suspect this time of year. If you want to venture south and go through one of the most beautiful city parks (though really an old growth forest that has been maintained), go to Tacoma and hike the trails through Pt. Defiance.  It is a peninsula surrounded by Puget Sound with great views of the Narrows Bridges. This is the bridge (Galloping Gertie) that tore itself apart during a windstorm in the 40s. You can see newsreel coverage of it on Youtube.

If there is still a lot of snow up near Paradise, rent some snowshoes in Ashford.   There should be some well traveled (and snow covered) trails to walk in/near the Lodge.   And DO NOT pass up a blackberry milk shake at the Copper Creek Inn near Ashford.   I would skip Point Defiance unless you have a reason to be in Tacoma.  It is pretty but there's not a whole lot else out there and getting to Tacoma and then down to Pt. Defiance can be a pain in the ass.   I-5 is under perpetual construction there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

If there is still a lot of snow up near Paradise, rent some snowshoes in Ashford.   There should be some well traveled (and snow covered) trails to walk in/near the Lodge.   And DO NOT pass up a blackberry milk shake at the Copper Creek Inn near Ashford.   I would skip Point Defiance unless you have a reason to be in Tacoma.  It is pretty but there's not a whole lot else out there and getting to Tacoma and then down to Pt. Defiance can be a pain in the ass.   I-5 is under perpetual construction there. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:00 PM, Macanudo said:

On 4/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, miguelito said:

tenor.gif

img_3822.jpg

img_0692.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm heading to Seattle this Wednesday for the Texas Rangers series. How's the walk from Pioneer Square to Safeco? Safe area? 

I wouldn't casually spend evenings with my family in that area.  It's not 1970's New York, but you will encounter mentally ill homeless and street vagrants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Looks like uber it is. Wouldn't be a big deal if I was alone but the wife is tagging along and I know she doesn't want to deal with street folk harassing her. 

If you're lucky they'll have the roof open and then get seats on first base line, and you have a great veiw of Seattle.

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I wouldn't casually spend evenings with my family in that area.  It's not 1970's New York, but you will encounter mentally ill homeless and street vagrants.

Yeah, but that's true for most of downtown these days, unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Yeah, but that's true for most of downtown these days, unfortunately.

True, I was out there and Portland last year and it's a fucking mess.  I have written this here before, but it was pretty fucking stark when I saw a homeless guy take a shit right in front of the entrance to a downtown Portland 7-11.  While the owner beat him with a broom screaming.

7 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm heading to Seattle this Wednesday for the Texas Rangers series. How's the walk from Pioneer Square to Safeco? Safe area? 

Do the walk not the UBER.   It is generally safe but especially safe during games.  You’ll be be a part of the game day crowd.  Pioneer Square is the traditional night life epicenter of Seattle so there is a lot of flow between there and SODO (stadium area) during Seahawks, Sounders, and M’s games.   The Sounders fans and the team band march from Pioneer Square to CenturyLink Field for every game!   

• Like 3

Yeah I spent Monday walking around downtown Portland for work and Thursday in Seattle. Are there places you should stay away from, sure. Same can be said for every major city in the US. This walk is nothing, especially on a game day. It is encouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, Incredulity said:

True, I was out there and Portland last year and it's a fucking mess.  I have written this here before, but it was pretty fucking stark when I saw a homeless guy take a shit right in front of the entrance to a downtown Portland 7-11.  While the owner beat him with a broom screaming.

Its bad here in Portland, and antifa doesn't help. Yeah, it sucks seeing the homeless here in the PNW.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 8:02 PM, Sundodger said:

Do the walk not the UBER.   It is generally safe but especially safe during games.  You’ll be be a part of the game day crowd.  Pioneer Square is the traditional night life epicenter of Seattle so there is a lot of flow between there and SODO (stadium area) during Seahawks, Sounders, and M’s games.   The Sounders fans and the team band march from Pioneer Square to CenturyLink Field for every game!   

Good call. Everything worked out great and I got to see some thong bikini babes walk around the neighborhood Friday night.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Good call. Everything worked out great and I got to see some thong bikini babes walk around the neighborhood Friday night.

Uhhh... this is Seattle. I wouldn't be so sure that those were "babes", if you know what I mean.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:48 PM, Incredulity said:

guy take a shit right in front of the entrance to a  7-11.  While the owner beat him with a broom screaming.

Lets be honest now.  6th street.  Our younger years.....things happen we're not proud of.....

On 5/2/2019 at 12:27 PM, BabaYaga said:

Lets be honest now.  6th street.  Our younger years.....things happen we're not proud of.....

Someone actually mid-shit in broad daylight in front of the door to a retail establishment was a new one to me.

Every big city I have ever been to has some degree of problems.  Portland and Seattle are really on another level currently.

This wasn't some dark alley, or "bad part" of town.  This was right downtown off Broadway, in the business center.

3 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Someone actually mid-shit in broad daylight in front of the door to a retail establishment was a new one to me.

Every big city I have ever been to has some degree of problems.  Portland and Seattle are really on another level currently.

This wasn't some dark alley, or "bad part" of town.  This was right downtown off Broadway, in the business center.

Business meeting in St Louis.  Stayed downtown near the Wash U. medical campus.  Hotel lobby had your traditional breakfast buffet set up.  Homeless folks kept walking in off the street, loading up plates, then just walking out.

One of them got stopped, hotel manager had words with them.  They left.  Dude dropped a massive deuce right on the sidewalk out front....not more than a few feet from the front entrance.  

The shit Seattle and Portland are seeing now has been in SF for a decade.

Just moved from Seattle proper (Magnolia) to Bainbridge Is.  The desire to trip into town was dwindling yearly as the homeless climate escalated.  They say there is one homeless person on Bainbridge.  Pretty sure that is a smug joke.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, NWBuck said:

Uhhh... this is Seattle. I wouldn't be so sure that those were "babes", if you know what I mean.

Haha! Oh trust me I had to double check. We went to Biscuit Bitch that morning and got helped out by a very friendly lady with a beard.

Pretty sure the LGBTQ scene in Houston and Austin is at least as robust as Seattle.  There are fewer rodeo style LGBTQ in Seattle, I'll will grant that. In general, of course people have different "looks" in different parts of the country.  It is a pity so much regional flavor has been roadgraded over the past decades.   This type of variety is a good thing.

Rent an electric boat on lake union.  Bring food and an icechest of beer.  Plug in your ipod and play your favorites as you meander among the boats, kyackers, float planes taking off and landing, etc.  And the views, man.  Boat seats up to 12.  This was a regular on my what to do with guests list.

11 hours ago, NBMisha said:

Rent an electric boat on lake union.  Bring food and an icechest of beer.  Plug in your ipod and play your favorites as you meander among the boats, kyackers, float planes taking off and landing, etc.  And the views, man.  Boat seats up to 12.  This was a regular on my what to do with guests list.

I'm totally doing this next time we get up there in the summer.

Leaving for Seattle a week from Wednesday and I rechecked hotel prices and was pleasantly surprised to see that they've declined by about 15% since I originally booked. Rebooked the Sheraton grand for about $200 less than previous.

Any downtown restaurants besides biscuit bitch that are cant miss?

Uber or lyft?

Doing a tour of Mt Ranier, hopefully good weather 2 weeks from now.

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Leaving for Seattle a week from Wednesday and I rechecked hotel prices and was pleasantly surprised to see that they've declined by about 15% since I originally booked. Rebooked the Sheraton grand for about $200 less than previous.

Uber or lyft?

Yeah, it's been great for about a month here in Portland. I think you'll be fine.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, BearSchlong said:

Uber or lyft?

Took the family to Seattle for Spring Break this past March, and here were our favorites:

Shaker + Spear for seafood.  https://www.shakerandspear.com/

Assagio for Italian.  https://www.assaggioseattle.com/

Café Champagne, a really good French bistro closer to Pike Place Market.  https://cafecampagne.com/

They were all waking distance from our flat that was below Pike Place along Alaskan Way.  But we also used Uber to get around town and it was usually pretty fast and reliable. 

Edit:  Oh, and on a prior trip I loved Toulouse Petit, an outstanding Cajun/Creole place located in Queen Anne.  http://toulousepetit.com/menus/  You must go there.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lol.

Amazing weather today.

The view from Kerry Park was cool. Neat little place.

Used the whole citypass last night and today. Pop culture, chihuly, space needle, harbor tour. Pike place.

But I could have spent more time at pike place, just watched them throw fish for a few minutes and then bought loose tea/CBD lotion while wife bought a few bottles of local wine.

Was going to Salty's at Alki Beach for dinner but I'm wiped and have a long day tomorrow going to Mt Ranier.

Andaluca looks interesting for dinner. All I've had to eat since arriving is salmon, halibut, and that monstrosity for breakfast.

Andaluca was an exceptionally good meal.

Herb marinated olives

Bread, hummus and baba ganoush.

Pork belly

Humbolt CA goat cheese with honeycomb

Pear salad with spring greens bleu cheese balsamic vinaigrette hazlenuts

Wife - brined tomahawk pork chop

Me - petit rib roast

It was like a symphony in my mouth.

My oenophile wife says they have the best sangria she's ever had. Fresh fruit steeped in wine for 10 days.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, BearSchlong said:

Lol.

Amazing weather today.

The view from Kerry Park was cool. Neat little place.

Used the whole citypass last night and today. Pop culture, chihuly, space needle, harbor tour. Pike place.

But I could have spent more time at pike place, just watched them throw fish for a few minutes and then bought loose tea/CBD lotion while wife bought a few bottles of local wine.

Was going to Salty's at Alki Beach for dinner but I'm wiped and have a long day tomorrow going to Mt Ranier.

Andaluca looks interesting for dinner. All I've had to eat since arriving is salmon, halibut, and that monstrosity for breakfast.

Told you it'd be warm.

• Like 1

We were in Tacoma a couple of days ago. For those driving up to Seattle the Point Defiance Zoo and park are worth a trip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just passed it on Amtrak headed to Portland.

I highly recommend the Puget sound views from the train. So picturesque.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Just passed it on Amtrak headed to Portland.

I highly recommend the Puget sound views from the train. So picturesque.

What are you doing in Portland? Sucks im in Wanatchee, or we could have met up.

Edited by workswithseed