Seattle

workswithseed

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not Tacoma related, but I will be buying a house in Sultan, on the road to stevens pass. Further out than I would like, but I went to where the price point fit.  Preference being mountains to ocean, so we looked east instead of north. 

I'll wave next time I head up to Lake Serene or Wallace Falls or Colchuck or... It's a gorgeous area. We're actually Vrbo-ing in Gold Bar after Christmas 

• 2 months later...

Am doing initial planning for family trip (wife and almost 17 year old twins) to Seattle and Vancouver in June 2024.  I have run through this thread and have noted the suggested Seattle sights/activities/excursions.  Very helpful!

I'd like to book flights and lodging in the immediate future.  How many days total, excluding bookend travel days?  How many days should we stay in (or base out of) each city?  Any other essential overnight (not day trip) destinations?

On 3/8/2024 at 11:51 AM, Tonesky said:

Am doing initial planning for family trip (wife and almost 17 year old twins) to Seattle and Vancouver in June 2024.  I have run through this thread and have noted the suggested Seattle sights/activities/excursions.  Very helpful!

I'd like to book flights and lodging in the immediate future.  How many days total, excluding bookend travel days?  How many days should we stay in (or base out of) each city?  Any other essential overnight (not day trip) destinations?

If you're coming from Texas in June I think you'll find anything short of like 90 days in WA to be too short.

Depends on a lot of things - what you're interested in, what's the standard for lodging, budget, etc. You could probably make a week work between those two cities or stretch it to a full two weeks 

The one thing I'd really highly recommend is 2-3 weeknights in Port Angeles to explore Olympic National Park, if you guys are remotely into that sort of thing. The town itself is sleepy but the Olympic Peninsula is just epic.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The one thing I'd really highly recommend is 2-3 weeknights in Port Angeles to explore Olympic National Park, if you guys are remotely into that sort of thing. The town itself is sleepy but the Olympic Peninsula is just epic.

As it turns out, Seattle and Vancouver has morphed to Seattle, Olympic National Park, and Victoria BC.  Will spend a couple of days in Seattle and then head for the Peninsula.  Still working out the details, but the current plan is to head to Quinault for two nights (Quinault first afternoon, Hoh Rain Forest and Kalaloch beaches day two), drive to Port Angeles on day three, with stops along the way at Sol Duc Falls and Lake Crescent (Spruce RR/Devil's Punchbowl), Hurricane Ridge/Hill on the fourth morning, with the afternoon still up in the air.  One possibility, is to go to a lavender farm in Sequim, but we may be a tad early on lavender bloom.  Then, the next morning, take the ferry to Victoria for one night (whale excursion, Butchart Gardens, and the Royal BC Museum), before returning to Port Angeles the sixth evening.  The next morning, before heading back to Seattle, the plan is to hit Salt Creek Recreation Area to tide pool during a strong negative (-2) low tide. 

Edited by Tonesky
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm staying at the Quinault Lodge later this week... Rialto on Friday, Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge on the way back home via the Kingston ferry on Saturday. Will report back. 

We just had perfect weather this weekend, so of course it'll be high 40s and raining for my trip to the Peninsula. 

I've referenced this before, but I always use this website for intel on hiking and logistics (via the trip reports):

https://www.wta.org/

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, NWBuck said:

I'm staying at the Quinault Lodge later this week... Rialto on Friday, Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge on the way back home via the Kingston ferry on Saturday. Will report back. 

We just had perfect weather this weekend, so of course it'll be high 40s and raining for my trip to the Peninsula. 

I've referenced this before, but I always use this website for intel on hiking and logistics (via the trip reports):

https://www.wta.org/

Thanks for the wta link, we are going back to the PNW in July to visit our daughter (yeah no chance I am following the rules), and we  are looking to spend a few days in North Cascade NP. Still looking to put together an itinerary, this will really help. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/16/2024 at 7:38 AM, Tonesky said:

Still working out the details, but the current plan is to head to Quinault for two nights (Quinault first afternoon, Hoh Rain Forest and Kalaloch beaches day two), drive to Port Angeles on day three, with stops along the way at Sol Duc Falls and Lake Crescent (Spruce RR/Devil's Punchbowl), Hurricane Ridge/Hill on the fourth morning, with the afternoon still up in the air. 

On 3/17/2024 at 10:20 PM, NWBuck said:

Checking back in... 

Quinault Lodge is a beautiful property, but a little smaller than the other PNW National Park lodges I've stay at. Forget about cell phone coverage or wifi tho (not a bad thing). Dino's at the west end of the lake is good for pizza and pub food. The Internet Cafe next door is the best place for breakfast- ate there both days. We had dinner at The Salmon House as well... Good food, and slightly better prices than the Roosevelt Room on property. 

We went to Rialto for the first day... No rain, just the typical Olympic Coast mist. 

IMG_20240322_131927.thumb.jpg.ba8faeac3251b6ecf77c30e329e53c6f.jpgIMG_20240322_124542.thumb.jpg.24466a9124124d4639f9329e98bc76e0.jpg

Today, we headed north in better weather. Stopped at Kalaloch to make sure that the Tree Of Life was still clinging to this earth. 

IMG_20240323_113405.thumb.jpg.49129419994dd14c1bad285d098f59ef.jpg

We then went up to Sol Duc Falls... A bit chilly, but the only moisture was from the spray when it dripped back from the trees. 

IMG_20240323_135301.thumb.jpg.82b6162c8b41dbb0c1ddb24dd83680f7.jpg

IMG_20240323_134915.thumb.jpg.8a0b49984ed11a86eda8cbba4d419a18.jpg

On the way back to the highway, it started to rain so we decided to skip the trip to the Punchbowl (choosing a great bowl of Pho in Port Angeles). From there, back to the ferry and Seattle. 

Reading through your plans, I think they are better than what we did... The trips up and down and up the 101 were a bit of a beating. 

Happy to provide any additional intel that might be helpful. 

• Hook 'Em 1