Seattle

workswithseed

On 12/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, Scraps said:

Kerry Park has one of the best views of the city 

Good to hear. Think I want to visit this and take my pics in lieu of the Space Needle. The Gum Wall sounds about as appealing as taking picture next to a shit hole however.

Was supposed to be boarding a flight this afternoon to Seattle but postponed bc they're getting some snow this weekend. I only have Friday-Sunday to do what I want, and getting snowed in for half of my 3 days (mid-Friday through mid-Saturday) sounded really shitty. Trying again in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bump for our Spring Break trip next week.  My wife and I have been to Seattle a couple times, but it's the first time taking our kids.  We booked a flat on the waterfront below Pike Place and already have filled out some of the week:  Museum of Pop Culture (they have a Marvel exhibit that our kids will love), Woodland Park Zoo, Freemont Brewing, Underground Tour, dinners at Shaker + Spear and Café Champagne, will grab some fresh seafood from Pike one night and cook dinner at our place. 

Looking for day trip ideas.  On our last visit the wife and I headed out to Snoqualmie and hiked Rattlesnake Ledge followed by lunch near Snoqualmie Falls.  We could do that again, but am also considering Whidbey Island.  Anyone ever been there?  Tips and recommendations from those who have? 

Other ideas, other than posting pics of wife?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The PJ exhibit at MoPop right now is really great as well (if you're a fan).

Yep, saw that. I imagine we'll be spending a lot of time at MoPop.

And drats, just saw that Cloudburst is one of the breweries that doesn't allow kids.  Freemont Brewing does, and we're stopping by there on the way back from the zoo.

Edited by South Austin

makes sense...a bit industrial.  freemont is a great place to hang.  holy mountain is cool too.  while we were there a train went by out back carrying a bunch of planes without wings.  pretty cool scene.

i saw the fantasy and horror exhibits in august.  you'll love it.  so much cool stuff.

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Victoria. The Victoria Clipper ferry is expensive AF though but probably the easiest way to get there.  

Victoria is awesome.  Victoria is how I imagine SF could be if it didn't have a heroin needle in it's arm, a crack pipe in it's pocket, late stage AIDS and living in the BART station restroom.

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Bump for our Spring Break trip next week.  My wife and I have been to Seattle a couple times, but it's the first time taking our kids.  We booked a flat on the waterfront below Pike Place and already have filled out some of the week:  Museum of Pop Culture (they have a Marvel exhibit that our kids will love), Woodland Park Zoo, Freemont Brewing, Underground Tour, dinners at Shaker + Spear and Café Champagne, will grab some fresh seafood from Pike one night and cook dinner at our place. 

Looking for day trip ideas.  On our last visit the wife and I headed out to Snoqualmie and hiked Rattlesnake Ledge followed by lunch near Snoqualmie Falls.  We could do that again, but am also considering Whidbey Island.  Anyone ever been there?  Tips and recommendations from those who have? 

Other ideas, other than posting pics of wife?

Theo Chocolate has a kid friendly tour that my kids enjoyed, and it’s close to Fremont Brewing.  Reuben’s Brews is also close by and kid friendly.

• Like 1

The Marvel exhibit was cool, went last year after Infinity War. Your kids will call you a cool dad. Also if you don't see everything at mopop you can go back in the next day with y'alls tickets, so y'all can see the things y'all missed.

I can't remember if it was tickets or wrist band, or reciete. Id ask actually, but I know they let the girlfriend and I go in the next day.

Edited by workswithseed

Any more hotel recommendations or additional strong VRBO suggestions?  Right now I have provisional reservations at the Sheraton Grand because of habit and because I'm a Marriot ahem Bonvoy points whore.

But I sure would love to stay somewhere a little less $$ and with more character.

7 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Any more hotel recommendations or additional strong VRBO suggestions?  Right now I have provisional reservations at the Sheraton Grand because of habit and because I'm a Marriot ahem Bonvoy points whore.

But I sure would love to stay somewhere a little less $$ and with more character.

Belltown rentals are a strong choice.   I've stayed in the same building twice now and it really can't be beat. It's bounded by 1st, Wall, 2nd and Battery.   You can walk to almost anything downtown and Uber to everything else near it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Headed up in a month as sort of a scouting trip for where to move in a year or so. Will have a car for 2 days, any recs on neighborhoods/areas to check out for apartments? Also good day hikes. Gracias.

Fremont area is always worth checking out and not to far from UW or Magnuson Park. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Headed up in a month as sort of a scouting trip for where to move in a year or so. Will have a car for 2 days, any recs on neighborhoods/areas to check out for apartments? Also good day hikes. Gracias.

If you’re willing to drive about 45-60 minutes out, Rattlesnake Ledge is a good hike. It was about an hour to the top with two kids in tow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Capitol Hill looked really cool during the brief time I was there last week.

Beautiful neighborhood. Pretty predominant LGBQT (NTTIAWWT) just so you know.

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Fremont area is always worth checking out and not to far from UW or Magnuson Park. 

Fremont used to be the funky (think SoCo) neighborhood of Seattle before all the condos took over. Still pretty neat as it is home to the Summer Solstice Parade ( I believe still) that is adorned with painted nudists (not awesome bodies) on bicycles. Gasworks Park is on the south end of this neighborhood where the houseboats/homes (Sleepless in Seattle) are and a great view of downtown. Awesome fireworks show in the summer months. Also home of the troll that is below the Fremont Bridge and boasts a Coldwar trophy, a bronze statue of Lenin.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Mowich Lake out by Mt. Rainier. Though this time of year ( and with the winter they have had) , you will need proper warm/ snow clothing and footwear. Tiger Mountain out near Issaquah is great on a clear Day. Again, suspect this time of year. If you want to venture south and go through one of the most beautiful city parks (though really an old growth forest that has been maintained), go to Tacoma and hike the trails through Pt. Defiance.  It is a peninsula surrounded by Puget Sound with great views of the Narrows Bridges. This is the bridge (Galloping Gertie) that tore itself apart during a windstorm in the 40s. You can see newsreel coverage of it on Youtube. 

• Like 1