Seattle

workswithseed

On 5/10/2018 at 6:30 PM, mdmost said:

We like Portage Bay Cafe. There's 4 locations sprinkled around town. Wife always gets the Dungeness crabs Benedict.  Also enjoy Lowell's at Pike Place. Wonderful view of the Sound if you go to the upper floors.

https://www.portagebaycafe.com/

http://eatatlowells.com/

I don’t know if I ever thanked you for the Portage Bay Cafe recommendation, so here it is. We went to the location closest to UW, I think.

Friends of ours are in Seattle checking out UW for grad school, and the daughter sent out a request for a good breakfast spot. My daughter immediately told them about PB.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 3:32 PM, miguelito said:

Biff, did you have them put a slice of pie in there, and then mix it up?

20150718-182039-1200.jpg

Went to visit the daughter in Seattle earlier this summer.  Huge props to everyone who recommended Copper Creek, stopped there after a day of hiking at Rainier, good God, one of the best things I've ever had.  (The other 3/4ths was still in the blender cup, damn...)

copper.thumb.jpg.5317e26bd6959deb9e328544ffa89f8f.jpg

Also had some time to kill before the flight home, so we took a little mini-Twin Peaks tour, drove up to Snoqualmie Falls to see the falls and the "Great Northern", then headed down to North Bend to check out Twede's (aka the Double R) and have the Dale Cooper special.

doubler.jpg.fde90df6c440a5045dc4e7dedac27e75.jpg

cooper.thumb.jpg.e61802a7128bb3ca9b783769dea47c69.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Huge props to everyone who recommended Copper Creek, stopped there after a day of hiking at Rainier, good God, one of the best things I've ever had.  (The other 3/4ths was still in the blender cup, damn...)

As Miguelito as my witness the blackberry milkshake at Copper Creek is one of the best things I have ever eaten or drank.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Posting here, so I can find it and go back and read all the recommendations.
Surly is my starting point on researching Seattle (well really anything) - as I have a kid who is interested in moving there, during a pandemic, with shitty air quality due to the west coast burning everywhere. What could be wrong with that ?

Thanks for all the info in this thread (before I read it) and for all the comments yet to come....

How does he feel about not seeing the sun for a month?  My first February up there the sun came out 1 day.  28 days, and sun on one of them.  I remember the day, too, because I woke up thinking I had left a light on in the other room. 

SAD is a real thing.

Other than the high costs and shitty traffic and depressing winters, most of what you hear is not as bad as they say. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, miguelito said:

How does he feel about not seeing the sun for a month?  My first February up there the sun came out 1 day.  28 days, and sun on one of them.  I remember the day, too, because I woke up thinking I had left a light on in the other room. 

SAD is a real thing.

Other than the high costs and shitty traffic and depressing winters, most of what you hear is not as bad as they say. 

We live in Michigan, we are used to not seeing the sun for weeks at a time during the winter. I love being near the Great Lakes, but in the winter they can be a cloud cover machine.

13 hours ago, miguelito said:

How does he feel about not seeing the sun for a month?  My first February up there the sun came out 1 day.  28 days, and sun on one of them. 

And then there's July through September*- blue skies, no humidity, 80s with nice breezes, surrounded by green trees, water, and snow capped mountains. Plus sunsets well after 9 pm. 

(*ymmv due to smoke if bad fire seasons) 

9 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

We live in Michigan

Well, there's your problem. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miguelito said:

SAD is a real thing.

And I'd move back in a heartbeat.   The winters aren't as bad as everyone says.   It doesn't get that cold and you can be outside most of the time.   The rain is not a downpour like thunderstorms in other parts of the country.   Get outdoors and enjoy the scenery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Compared to Michigan winters, Seattle will feel balmy.  But for me, days on end in the 40's got into my bones.  Coffee and chowder helped, not at the same time.

When I first moved there in August '98, I was sitting on my 2nd cousin's houseboat's roof deck, drinking a beer, watching the planes land on Lake Union, and he told me, "remember days like this in February when you don't know whether to get out of bed or kill yourself."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

And I'd move back in a heartbeat.   The winters aren't as bad as everyone says.   It doesn't get that cold and you can be outside most of the time.   The rain is not a downpour like thunderstorms in other parts of the country.   Get outdoors and enjoy the scenery.

If it's raining (and it will be), then it's snowing at Baker or Stevens Pass or Alpental or Crystal Mountain. It's a heavy snow and requires more work than the champagne in Utah or Colorado, but it beats Timber Ridge and Boyne all to hell and back.

Plus, the rain is more of a mist than a midwestern storm. A friend from Aberdeen compares it to Scotland- gray, misty, cold, but beautiful even then.

Oh, and make sure your dues are paid to your local anarchist collective. I guess that's important now.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Any new updates? Here until Tuesday. Staying at the Hilton across from Pike Place. 

Well, things are starting to open up- restaurants 50% occupancy beginning Monday, so you'll see twice the number of homeless junkies in front of all the places.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering taking my kids to Seattle in August.  I know that's a ways away and a lot can happen between now and then (either things are better because of vaccinations or things are worse because deadly variant kills us all), but does it look like Seattle at that time will be worth it?  Fortunately there's a lot to do outside in Seattle, but my kids really loved the museums during our last trip in 2019, and I don't want to spend the time and money going to a location where most of the typical recreational attractions are shut down or limited. 

Also, for whatever reason my freshman daughter says that UW is high on her list of potential colleges, so it would be cool to take her there for her first unofficial college visit. 

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm considering taking my kids to Seattle in August.  I know that's a ways away and a lot can happen between now and then (either things are better because of vaccinations or things are worse because deadly variant kills us all), but does it look like Seattle at that time will be worth it?  Fortunately there's a lot to do outside in Seattle, but my kids really loved the museums during our last trip in 2019, and I don't want to spend the time and money going to a location where most of the typical recreational attractions are shut down or limited. 

Also, for whatever reason my freshman daughter says that UW is high on her list of potential colleges, so it would be cool to take her there for her first unofficial college visit. 

We're starting to open up again, and I wouldn't be surprised for things to be "normal" in August/September. The challenge will be in discovering which businesses survived the Covid Purge (particularly in the downtown area).

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

The rain man, the rain. It can get really depressing if the sun is important to you.

Not in August, tho.... August through September is glorious*. Highs in the low 90s (maybe), no humidity and good breezes/airflow, blue water and green trees everywhere, with snow capped mountains on three sides.

Oh, and it stays light until 9:45-10:00, with lots of great sunsets for beer drinking and whatnot.

*unless those damned Californians eff up everything with smoke from their wildfires. Rake your forests, bros!

Yeah, PNW summers.   If you don't want to do the museums again, head over to Olympic National Park.  It's a trek from Seattle though so look into staying at one of the lodges, Lake Quinault, Kalaloch or Lake Crescent.   Hit Ruby Beach, the Hoh Rainforest and Hurricane Ridge (among other places to go.)

There's always Mt. Rainier as well.   The Comet Falls trail is fairly easy and that time of the year the trail out to the Mt. Fremont Fire Service lookout tower would be spectacular.  It's a pretty decent walk but not particularly hard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Not in August, tho.... August through September is glorious*. Highs in the low 90s (maybe), no humidity and good breezes/airflow, blue water and green trees everywhere, with snow capped mountains on three sides.

Oh, and it stays light until 9:45-10:00, with lots of great sunsets for beer drinking and whatnot.

*unless those damned Californians eff up everything with smoke from their wildfires. Rake your forests, bros!

Yeah, I've heard late summer is fantastic.  And I've also been in May and for Spring Break and had incredible luck with weather.

I think Scooter's comment might have been geared more toward my daughter's interest in attending UDub rather than a trip this summer.  I've told her that a Texan might not enjoy Seattle in the long rainy months, and she says rain doesn't bother her.  Not sure she comprehends how much rain.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I've heard late summer is fantastic.  And I've also been in May and for Spring Break and had incredible luck with weather.

I think Scooter's comment might have been geared more toward my daughter's interest in attending UDub rather than a trip this summer.  I've told her that a Texan might not enjoy Seattle in the long rainy months, and she says rain doesn't bother her.  Not sure she comprehends how much rain.

Ah- good catch... sorry about that.

Remember, rain is just "liquid powder*". If it's coming down in Seattle, it's coming down at Snoqualmie, Stevens Pass, Crystal Mountain, Mount Baker, and Whistler... get out of town and get on the slopes.

*note- "powder" is a euphemism. the snow cone stuff here doesn't in any way compare to the perfection of fresh snow at Alta or Aspen

Went in August 2018 and made the mistake of booking a place without AC.  A heat wave made the place pretty uncomfortable from noon to 2am.  It wasn't the biggest deal because it just forced us to try more breweries and bars but something to think about.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, South Austin said:

They get less (less than 40" annually) than Houston (a bit under 50").   It's just how they get it....    Slow drizzle for 4-6 months.    But, IMO, you can be outside in that.  It isn't like a thunderstorm in Texas where you don't want to even walk to your car.   

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

They get less (less than 40" annually) than Houston (a bit under 50").   It's just how they get it....    Slow drizzle for 4-6 months.    But, IMO, you can be outside in that.  It isn't like a thunderstorm in Texas where you don't want to even walk to your car.   

Yeah, it get it.  My third trip to Seattle was in late January, and it was rainy the whole time, but usually on the misty side, and nothing that prevented walking around and enjoying the town.  But I can't imagine living 4-6 months in that. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, it get it.  My third trip to Seattle was in late January, and it was rainy the whole time, but usually on the misty side, and nothing that prevented walking around and enjoying the town.  But I can't imagine living 4-6 months in that. 

You get out and get active.   That weather didn't prevent me, even with two toddlers in tow, from going out to the coast fairly often, visiting downtown Seattle and going on the hikes that were possible in crummy weather.   I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, the winters can be miserable, but it ain't (just) the rain. The "sunrise at 7:30 and sunset at 4:15" feeling is a real grind.

And, as others have mentioned, the rain is more annoying, but it's what it does to the cold that I hate.  I'd rather have a clear, sunny day at 20 degrees or so than a constant drizzle at 38. It just soaks into your bones... there's a reason that Starbucks got its' start here.

But summer, tho...

Asgard.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

You get out and get active.   That weather didn't prevent me, even with two toddlers in tow, from going out to the coast fairly often, visiting downtown Seattle and going on the hikes that were possible in crummy weather.   I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could.

3 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Yeah, the winters can be miserable, but it ain't (just) the rain. The "sunrise at 7:30 and sunset at 4:15" feeling is a real grind.

And, as others have mentioned, the rain is more annoying, but it's what it does to the cold that I hate.  I'd rather have a clear, sunny day at 20 degrees or so than a constant drizzle at 38. It just soaks into your bones... there's a reason that Starbucks got its' start here.

But summer, tho...

Asgard.jpg

These are my views.  If you're into hiking and backpacking, fucking get it.  As for UW, the campus is gorgeous and it's a great school.  If my wife would have it, I would move to the PNW immediately.  As it is, I get to hike in Texas for most of the year.  Rocky trails.  Yay.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, South Austin said:

That was me, and the problem was not the rain, because it never really rains hard.  The problem is the clouds, the fear that you're never going to see the sun again, that some days the street lights never go off, and it gets dark at 4pm in the winter.  

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

That was me, and the problem was not the rain, because it never really rains hard.  The problem is the clouds, the fear that you're never going to see the sun again, that some days the street lights never go off, and it gets dark at 4pm in the winter.  

As dumb as it sounds, you learn to appreciate the clouds in the winter. Like a huge blanket over the Sound, they insulate everything just a bit... once it clears up, the temperatures drop to that "just above freezing" bone-chill level I mentioned before.

You survive the winters in Seattle by being a regular on the slopes. Between Snoqualmie, Steven’s, and Crystal, you have a good variety of terrain between 1 and 3 hours away. We’d get out almost every weekend for a full day, and it made such a difference in how we thought about winter every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/31/2021 at 10:18 AM, South Austin said:

Correct @southaustin. The place is visually magnificent. But living there ain’t like visiting. We all have a different tolerance for tough environment, Seattle will test that tolerance.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:57 PM, NWBuck said:

I remember moving here in Portland and my skin drying up. It's real dry even as it rains. I wasn't ready for that either. I still have people get confused about how much more moisture is in the air compared to here. Also you live closer to the ocean, but you can bearly swim in the damned thing. 

7 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I remember moving here in Portland and my skin drying up. It's real dry even as it rains. I wasn't ready for that either. I still have people get confused about how much more moisture is in the air compared to here. Also you live closer to the ocean, but you can bearly swim in the damned thing. 

Its worse here in Boise. I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico, and just didn't understand what its like to live in a dry climate. There could be a foot of snow outside and I'll get a crack in my heel from this shit. 

Also we take annual trips to the Washington or Oregon coast every summer and I have no desire to swim in that damn thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Beau Vine said:

Damn, this might as well describe depression. The fiancee calls it "The Big S.A.D."

Edited by workswithseed
The fuck?

On 4/3/2021 at 7:49 AM, RichUT said:

You survive the winters in Seattle by being a regular on the slopes. Between Snoqualmie, Steven’s, and Crystal, you have a good variety of terrain between 1 and 3 hours away. We’d get out almost every weekend for a full day, and it made such a difference in how we thought about winter every year.

The average winter temp in Seattle is likely similar to Dallas.  Yes, it's wet as fuck.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:12 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

Correct @southaustin. The place is visually magnificent. But living there ain’t like visiting. We all have a different tolerance for tough environment, Seattle will test that tolerance.

I lived in Bellevue and the area is just spectacularly beautiful. Downtown Seattle, to me is the prettiest downtown in the US.  I'd give it a shot again, depending on a few factors.

49 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'd love to visit any of my kids if they attended UW.  But one problem is out-of-state tuition is currently right around $40,000, and it's not going down over the next seven years.  Yikes. 

If they've got the grades to get into UW, they're probably not paying close to that amount out of pocket.