2019 Longhorns Countdown to Kickoff

Machinator

My mind is blown, because if I ever knew Diron Talbert was a Longhorn, it’s been completely wiped from my memory. Wow. So I now have to like the guy I’ve always hated for being a complete Redskin asshole, Staubach antagonizer, George Allen favorite. 

Hook em, Mr. Talbert! (This may take some getting used to.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

My mind is blown, because if I ever knew Diron Talbert was a Longhorn, it’s been completely wiped from my memory. Wow. So I now have to like the guy I’ve always hated for being a complete Redskin asshole, Staubach antagonizer, George Allen favorite. 

Hook em, Mr. Talbert! (This may take some getting used to.)

Yeah he was one of the Rams vets that Allen brought with him to DC.

Edited by Valmy77

Yeah, I knew that, and I though I was a toddler in the early 60’s, I still knew names like Scott Appleton and Duke Carlisle, and became a maniac about football in the 70’s, priding myself on knowing every player in the NFL. But  I somehow completely have deleted the synapses that linked Diron Talbert to Texas football. Hard to reconcile, since there was so much shit talking between the Cowboys and Redskins, and Talbert was at the forefront. 

I’ll have a glass of Gatorade in honor of George Allen to celebrate. (Too soon?)

On 6/19/2019 at 9:16 AM, Texas007 said:

Rick Ingraham

Texas-Longhorns-Earl-Campbell-Signed-8x1

Another stalwart on the 1977 O-line.

Well known for telling 3rd string QB Randy McEarchen when entering the 1977 Tex-OU game: "You give the fuckin' ball to Earl and get the hell out of the way".    

Anyone that tried to tackle Earl above the ankles was crazy. 

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Anyone that tried to tackle Earl above the ankles was crazy. 

I had an Uber driver a few years ago that said he played football for Rice back in the mid-70s. He was a running back until his senior year, when the coach moved him to DB...right before the Texas game. He said he tried to tackle Earl once...after that, "shit...I didn't even care about football anymore, I was just getting out of the way the rest of the game."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I had an Uber driver a few years ago that said he played football for Rice back in the mid-70s. He was a running back until his senior year, when the coach moved him to DB...right before the Texas game. He said he tried to tackle Earl once...after that, "shit...I didn't even care about football anymore, I was just getting out of the way the rest of the game."

Buddy I used to work with was on the '73 Austin Reagan team that lost to Tyler in the state finals and had a similar story.  He said he tried to tackle Earl and got absolutely destroyed then spent the rest of the game making sure he was never the first and never alone when trying to bring him down. 

17 hours ago, Texas007 said:

Buddy I used to work with was on the '73 Austin Reagan team that lost to Tyler in the state finals and had a similar story.  He said he tried to tackle Earl and got absolutely destroyed then spent the rest of the game making sure he was never the first and never alone when trying to bring him down. 

Had  a prof in grad school who'd played Lacrosse at Brown. Jim  Brown played Lacrosse for Syracuse instead of spring practice. Prof said when he tried to tackle him, it was like running full speed and diving into an oak tree shoulder-first... broke his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder. 

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

No idea who #23 for Arkansas is, but he got tackled by #70 for Texas, Dick Jones.

351b362a759faec160200e2f2b3678f0.jpg

Is that 1958 or ‘60?  And how the hell do we only get 35,000 for a home game against Arkansas (1960)? 

Brat, it must have been Senior Day for your grandkid, what happened?

Harley Sewell

HarleySewell_original.jpg?1272837557

all-SWC ('51 & '52) AA ('52) guard

Regarded as one of the best O-lineman in Texas history. Was a 1st round pick of the Lions in 1953 where he played for 10 seasons garnering 4 pro-bowl honors.

Found this story funny:

A fan complains to assistant coach J.T. King that the night before the Cotton Bowl game Harley Sewell was dipping snuff.   King said to the fan " If you'll find out what brand Harley is dipping, I'll recommend it to the whole damn team."

• Like 2