when is my show coming back?

henrygandorf

• 4 weeks later...

some garbage coming at you hard in early january...

the bachelor is back this monday the 6th, siesta key is back on tuesday the 7th (featuring a former bachelor castmate), and very cavallari on thurs the 9th.

also schitt's creek s6 is back on 1/7 on pop.

january is busy for new tv.

• 1 month later...

ok, let's give this thread a march bump, because there's some crazy shit coming out this month.

dispatches from elsewhere, on amc, starts march 1st (i think?)

dave is starting on fxx, march 4th...

march 5th, devs is on fx on hulu or some shit, not sure what that means...

march 6th, spielberg's amazing stories gets the reboot, on appletv+

westworld s3 on march 15th.

march 16th, the plot against america (limited) on hbo

little fires everywhere 3/18 on hulu:

ozark s3 on netflix 3/27:

also, better things s4 on fx - 3/5

dirty money s2 on netflix - 3/11

black monday s2 on showtime - 3/15

brockmire s4 on ifc - 3/18

• Like 1

I'm amazed Black Monday got another season. I had such high hopes for that and still will watch, but it really is a bad show. They have Cheadle, Showtime money and the story already written. Fuck. Somebody screwed the pooch on that one and all my money is on Seth Rogen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 8:57 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

I'm amazed Black Monday got another season. I had such high hopes for that and still will watch, but it really is a bad show. They have Cheadle, Showtime money and the story already written. Fuck. Somebody screwed the pooch on that one and all my money is on Seth Rogen.

All of what you said, plus they know exactly what works and what doesn't work comedically from Wolf of Wall Street. Also they know what scenes aged well/didn't age well from Wolf. 

The Season 1 ending was just so bad. Impossible, implausible, improbable Ocean's 11 twist with none of the charm. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

better things came back on monday (2 episodes) on fx/hulu.

first 3 episodes of the dropout are up on hulu:

the tourist is a new show on hbo max and i think all 6 episodes are up.

our flag means death is out on hbo max (first 3 eps i think):

killing eve came back on sunday, not sure if anyone is still watching that.  we stopped mid s3.

joe vs carole is up on peacock, looks horrible and the reviews reflect that as well.

which brings up a separate discussion.  with scripted series (not just documentaries) coming out telling true stories that happened very recently, i wonder if it's a trend heading in the wrong direction.  there are 2 separate nixon-era series coming out soon that i'm excited about (gaslit and the white house plumbers), so there's plenty of material out there with living people to help tell the story.  i guess the question is "how soon is too soon?"

inventing anna, the dropout, wecrashed, pam and tommy, joe vs carole, super-pumped.  5/6 of these happened in the last 10 years or so.  good shows are good shows, but something feels different about these shows.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 1

I think they’re just the modern iteration of those old “Movies of the Week” from ABC/CBS/NBC.

I remember contemporary TV movies on lots of stuff in the 80s/90s - the Texas cheerleader murder mom, Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher, “Fatal Vision” etc.

Now they’re using 8-10 one hour episodes instead of TV movies/miniseries to do the same kind of exploitation of recent scandals.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I was reminded about this in another thread. I’m still disappointed that they canceled The Muppets. That was a solid show. It can’t have cost that much to produce. And I figured that as time went on they’d get bigger names to appear as guest stars and they’d build a larger audience. They pulled the plug way too soon, imo.