Chef butchers meat in front of animal rights protesters

Beau Vine

9 minutes ago, DocZaius said:

There is mounting evidence that plants have greater sensory perception than traditionally believed - even though they lack sensory organs.  They may not have "nerves" in the same way that animals do, but they do react to all kinds of stimuli.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that they "feel" pain in some way.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

I guess the vegans are going to have to eat sand.

That story pissed me off when I heard about it on the radio.  Now that I read the details I'm even more pissed off.

If it had happened in the US I'd want to see those people arrested.  For what exactly, I don't know, but it's ridiculous that people can disrupt a perfectly legal business in that way.  They are depriving the owner of his livelihood.  Lawyers, what's the call?  Harassment?  Google tells me there is such a thing as "tortious interference" -- would that apply?  The explanation I see is "one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm."

Oh man the butthurt is strong in those people.  Truth is, they are cowards picking on a relatively small fish like that. If they had any balls at all they would do something significant like blow the doors off a factory farm.  Shit in guessing a damn chick fil a sells more poundage of meat several times over than that small restaurant.  But chick fil a probably had lawyers, and this guy doesnt.

10 hours ago, 686 said:

The biggest factor I’ve seen that seems to determine if people think it has “rights” or not is how much charisma is it has. I.e., Deer, cattle, foxes etc have people protesting; meanwhile bees, quail, bighorn sheep, and boatloads of other stuff on the ESL, etc  have been having some real struggles and none of these folks are doing anything about that.

"Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?"

"Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh I know where he was coming from. It just doesn't fit in this story. It's a non sequitur. It could just as easily mean that liberal arts majors make such a lucrative living that they have time for trivial protests. His pet gripe doesn't apply here. He's got a hammer so is inclined to see a nail. 

That sounds like something a liberal arts major would say...

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Oh man the butthurt is strong in those people.  Truth is, they are cowards picking on a relatively small fish like that. If they had any balls at all they would do something significant like blow the doors off a factory farm.  Shit in guessing a damn chick fil a sells more poundage of meat several times over than that small restaurant.  But chick fil a probably had lawyers, and this guy doesnt.

pretty strong butthurt here too. surly butthurt

don't eat my bro

don't lawyer up either. i eat all the animals too and for the record wish would we just finally invade Canadia

Edited by staboner

19 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Would such targeted protests be allowed here. I can see holding signs but yelling “murderer” in the faces of customers seems to cross the line of free speech into harassment. But I’m not a lawyer and I did not stay in a holiday inn express last night.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

That story pissed me off when I heard about it on the radio.  Now that I read the details I'm even more pissed off.

If it had happened in the US I'd want to see those people arrested.  For what exactly, I don't know, but it's ridiculous that people can disrupt a perfectly legal business in that way.  They are depriving the owner of his livelihood.  Lawyers, what's the call?  Harassment?  Google tells me there is such a thing as "tortious interference" -- would that apply?  The explanation I see is "one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm."

Those granola chomping hippies aren't hurting the business.  In the United States, they'd have every right to stand around and offend people.  There are several European countries that have instituted laws to ban offensive speech and there are those in the United States which would do the same.  

Seems to meet the first part of the definition but not the second.
The Definition of Harassment

Texas law is very clear on the definition of harassment. There are two primary elements to a harassment offense. These elements are:

• The intent of the perpetrator
  • The harassing behavior itself

The first component, intent, refers to the desire or goal of the person committing the act. According to Texas Penal Code Section 42.07, a person committing harassment must have an intent to “harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment or embarrass” another person.

The second component of the act is the actual harassing behavior itself. Harassment as a criminal offense can include a large number of different activities. The Texas Penal Code lists the following activities which may be considered criminal harassment:

• Communicating with another person and requesting an obscene activity, such as sexual activity
  • Threatening to inflict bodily harm on another person or threatening to commit a felony against another person, their family members or their property
  • Conveying a false report of the death or bodily injury of another person
  • Repeatedly calling another person on the telephone in an annoying manner or making phone calls and intentionally failing to hang up the call when it is answered
  • Sending electronic communications, such as emails or text messages, in an annoying, threatening or abusive manner

Most of these definitions of harassing behavior include a stipulation that the behavior must be done in a way that is reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the communication. This is done to prevent people from being penalized for behavior that is not legally considered harassment.

Edited by Larry T. Spider

Those people should be mocked.  You wanna be vegan?  Fine.  Good for you.
But don't go to meat restaurant and call everybody in there murderers or supporters of murder just because they like the sweet, sweet taste of medium rare steaks.

Should be true of anything within reason...you wanna drive a Prius to save the earth, fine, don’t get all uppity about mpg when my CTSV comes thumping in at 14mpg. Live and let live.

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:
Seems to meet the first part of the definition but not the second.
The Definition of Harassment

Texas law is very clear on the definition of harassment. There are two primary elements to a harassment offense. These elements are:

• The intent of the perpetrator
  • The harassing behavior itself

The first component, intent, refers to the desire or goal of the person committing the act. According to Texas Penal Code Section 42.07, a person committing harassment must have an intent to “harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment or embarrass” another person.

The second component of the act is the actual harassing behavior itself. Harassment as a criminal offense can include a large number of different activities. The Texas Penal Code lists the following activities which may be considered criminal harassment:

• Communicating with another person and requesting an obscene activity, such as sexual activity
  • Threatening to inflict bodily harm on another person or threatening to commit a felony against another person, their family members or their property
  • Conveying a false report of the death or bodily injury of another person
  • Repeatedly calling another person on the telephone in an annoying manner or making phone calls and intentionally failing to hang up the call when it is answered
  • Sending electronic communications, such as emails or text messages, in an annoying, threatening or abusive manner

Most of these definitions of harassing behavior include a stipulation that the behavior must be done in a way that is reasonably likely to alarm the person receiving the communication. This is done to prevent people from being penalized for behavior that is not legally considered harassment.

^

he said penal code.  

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm not supporting any side. But vegetables lack pain fibers - that is the basis for one argument for vegetarianism. The other that comes to mind is plant based diets are allegedly healthier than diets high in meat (especially red meat).

Your mom lacked pain fibers in her ass, she also lacked tastebuds and apparently a chromosome. 

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:
That story pissed me off when I heard about it on the radio.  Now that I read the details I'm even more pissed off. If it had happened in the US I'd want to see those people arrested.  For what exactly, I don't know, but it's ridiculous that people can disrupt a perfectly legal business in that way.  They are depriving the owner of his livelihood.  Lawyers, what's the call?  Harassment?  Google tells me there is such a thing as "tortious interference" -- would that apply?  The explanation I see is "one person intentionally damages someone else's contractual or business relationships with a third party causing economic harm."

Tortious interference doesn't describe this situation. It works in a much different way.  

Say you and I have a contract where you buy my dick drawing service. Thujone comes along and steals your business from me because he offers dicks at a cheaper rate. You violate our contract to buy dicks drawn by thujone. Thujone knew you were contractually obligated to buy my dicks, but went ahead and talked you into violating our contract.

I could sue thujone.

It's probably more clear in a situation of pro sports management.

If someone had convinced Prince that his record company was using him as a slave, like maybe the Nation of Islam or some other entity... Then Prince refused to then fulfill that contract, then they could then have sued the Nation of Islam

Edited by SKJ

19 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

I still have this shirt:

PETA

People Eating Tasty Animals

I do as well. I actually had a lady come up to me at HEB and tell me it was a lewd and disgusting shirt. If I wasn't with my kids I would have said more than "I dont care" in response. 

23 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Picking on a small target is pretty standard bully practice.  

On 3/31/2018 at 11:40 PM, Larry T. Spider said:

So, let’s say my vegan friend drives from Houston to Austin to have dinner with me at my house. Along the way 87 insects and other small animals smashed against his windshield and die. He then eats a salad for dinner. I eat a steak. 

He killed 87 animals and I killed 1/100th. Who is the bigger monster? Does intent matter?

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

19 hours ago, SKJ said:

Tortious interference doesn't describe this situation. It works in a much different way.  

Say you and I have a contract where you buy my dick drawing service. Thujone comes along and steals your business from me because he offers dicks at a cheaper rate. You violate our contract to buy dicks drawn by thujone. Thujone knew you were contractually obligated to buy my dicks, but went ahead and talked you into violating our contract.

I could sue thujone.

It's probably more clear in a situation of pro sports management.

If someone had convinced Prince that his record company was using him as a slave, like maybe the Nation of Islam or some other entity... Then Prince refused to then fulfill that contract, then they could then have sued the Nation of Islam

Yeah, in Texas at least, its better to have a full-on contract that is interfered with.  It can apply to "prospective" relations, but have to prove that the prospect was pretty good, which is tough.

And the alleged interfering behavior can't be "privileged," as protesting might well be.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, in Texas at least, its better to have a full-on contract that is interfered with.  It can apply to "prospective" relations, but have to prove that the prospect was pretty good, which is tough.

And the alleged interfering behavior can't be "privileged," as protesting might well be.

Thanks.

What types of interference would be off limits?  Could I set up a mister that sprays deer urine across the doorway so nobody would cross the threshold?  (Only half kidding.  At some point it just has to be within the business' rights to seek some kind of relief.  Hell, I'm offended that Academy sells A&M gear, but I'm not going to try to stop them.)

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.

What types of interference would be off limits?  Could I set up a mister that sprays deer urine across the doorway so nobody would cross the threshold?  (Only half kidding.  At some point it just has to be within the business' rights to seek some kind of relief.  Hell, I'm offended that Academy sells A&M gear, but I'm not going to try to stop them.)

Well, the problem here really is the nature of the relations interfered with.  It isn't a contractual relationship it is at best a prospective customer relationship.  In Texas, the classic tortious interference is inducing a party to breach their contract with another party.  As mentioned, it could also be a contract not-yet-entered, but sure to be, but for the interference  See, e.g., Pennzoil v. Texaco.  And if the interference is privileged by being protected by the 1st Amendment (this is Canada, aint no such thing), then even if a sure contract were breached as a result, then tortious interference wouldn't lie. 

As SKJ said, this situation isn't really addressed by tortious interference.

Probably the most apt traditional tort would be the protestors creating a private nuisance that interferes with the restaurant's business.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 4/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh I know where he was coming from. It just doesn't fit in this story. It's a non sequitur. It could just as easily mean that liberal arts majors make such a lucrative living that they have time for trivial protests. His pet gripe doesn't apply here. He's got a hammer so is inclined to see a nail. 

90% of the content of this site is Non-Sequiturs. 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:08 AM, DocZaius said:

There is mounting evidence that plants have greater sensory perception than traditionally believed - even though they lack sensory organs.  They may not have "nerves" in the same way that animals do, but they do react to all kinds of stimuli.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that they "feel" pain in some way.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170109-plants-can-see-hear-and-smell-and-respond

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2