Strange travel question

orangecat92

My wife flew on a regional carrier yesterday to the big city of Anchorage.  Plane she would fly on from dillingham to Anchorage was late arriving from Anchorage because Air Force one stopped in Anchorage to refuel.  Regional carrier told me and I confirmed with a news article.  My thought is that delay should have meant all flights all day should have the same delay.   She was in danger of missing her connected flight from Anchorage to Seattle and then to dfw.  So I called the big carrier Alaska airlines to find out how long they would hold the plane in Anchorage.  Interesting response,  they claimed the refuel delay should only account for 5 minutes.  iOw they weren’t too interested in holding the plane.  

Wife just barely missed the connection, and the plane was still on the tarmac.  Coincidentally, that plane that would fly from Anchorage to Seattle was 30 minutes late arriving to Anchorage, which is why it was still on the tarmac.  Only reason I know this is because of flight aware.  

Bottom line 6 people total missed connecting flight to Seattle

Couple of questions 

Why would one company be frank about the delay and the other one not?

Anybody else heard of a flight delay because of Air Force one?

All I have is an anecdote about pilots in Seattle, and AF1.  There are lots of seaplanes up there, and one time I was talking to a pilot about it.  He said that when AF1 came into town, all the pilots were warned to stay out of its airspace.  But, that particular airspace was classified, for security reasons.  So it was like, "We can't tell you where not to go, but you better not go there."

Article in Daily Mail

The president stopped at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage, Alaska, to refuel Air Force One on his way to Japan.

also, I have been delayed by Air Force 2 (VP) before.  My flight out NOLA MSY was delayed while Gore boarded and left.  Shut down entire airport.  Got to watch him get out of his limo and climb onboard though

2 minutes ago, midtown said:

Can Air Force one really not fly from DC to Japan without stopping?  

AF1 has a stated range of around 8k miles.  DC to Tokyo is almost 7k.  Depending on winds and such, that could be pretty close for comfort.  POTUS also folded in a Memorial Day event with US troops while AF1 refueled in Anchorage, so it was a two-fer.

The political class in this country are elites you peasants. Hillary shut down airspace in eastern PA on me when she was flotus. ATC kept lying to me on the hold time and almost diverted. She had to go to an elementary school to read to the childrens. Bill shutdown LAX for a haircut. W delayed me once as well. Fuck all of them.

3 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

The political class in this country are elites you peasants. Hillary shut down airspace in eastern PA on me when she was flotus. ATC kept lying to me on the hold time and almost diverted. She had to go to an elementary school to read to the childrens. Bill shutdown LAX for a haircut. W delayed me once as well. Fuck all of them.

Yep.  Had to wait out a complete ground hold at APF in March while AF2 was there for Pence to make a speech at Marco Island.

It’s basically referred to as a ground freeze or a ramp freeze. No planes are gonna move for the period of time AF1 is on the ground plus a period of time before it lands. Can also happen with other VIPs, call sign SAM (special air mission)-insert #. I could tell you some interesting stories of my time at Andrews AFB but then I would have to kill you.

Don't have any air travel story to relate to OP, but I've had several close calls with Presidential motorcades.  Miles and miles of diverted traffic or closed down road.  It sucked, but what can you do?  I've also been a few feet away from Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands once.  She waved her hand in a white glove from the stairwell of a charter bus as it drove down the street as onlookers gawked from the sidewalk.  It was somewhat surreal.

the nearest airport to one of trump's golf courses, is a general aviation airport a few blocks from my office.  Nearly every Friday afternoon at rush hour in summer, all the streets would be closed so he could go golfing, and of course go to the golf course right on a Friday afternoon.  No idea how they landed AF1 there, but they did (it appeared to be a 757 version of AF1).

Edited by lemonlime

13 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

the nearest airport to one of trump's golf courses, is a general aviation airport a few blocks from my office.  Nearly every Friday afternoon at rush hour in summer, all the streets would be closed so he could go golfing, and of course go to the golf course right on a Friday afternoon.  No idea how they landed AF1 there, but they did (it appeared to be a 757 version of AF1).

Yeah, similar when I lived in Houston and GHWB would come to town. He'd stay at the Houstonian and traffic was an A1 clusterfuck. You'd learn to avoid the whole area when POTUS was visiting his "hometown"