Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

25 minutes ago, nnm said:

And yet the pinnacle of BU’s football success in 2014 (11-2, losses to WVU and the BU kicker killer cotton bowl loss to MSU) stands, despite playing multiple players that should have been ineligible because of rape.  Take away Briles’ cheating, and his W-L record looks very different. spacer.png

Which players were those that should have been ineligible? 

11 hours ago, relapse98 said:

What I don't get is the win at all costs that the townspeople seem to be taking in regard to Briles and his cheatin ways.
Someone else would have started as the QB had the two boys not moved 1000 miles to tiny Mount Vernon. I wonder what that player's parents think about them. The people in MV are either pretty slow (highly likely) or had to have known that bringing CAB would bring the circus to town.

This is all on the superintendent because he could have squashed this by saying "Are you fucking insane? I am not hiring a disgraced rape enabler as my head coach. What the fuck is wrong with you people?" the first time it was suggested.  

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This is all on the superintendent because he could have squashed this by saying "Are you fucking insane? I am not hiring a disgraced rape enabler as my head coach. What the fuck is wrong with you people?" the first time it was suggested.  

He wanted to create a legacy.  Looks like he has. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He wanted to create a legacy.  Looks like he has. 

See boys, we all are just uninformed Briles-haters.  It's all about "redemption".

I hear you, but if The Powers That Be are the rich people in the town in the end they're going to get what they want.  If they didn't I'm sure they'd order an audit of the superintendent's expense report or something like that.

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I hear you, but if The Powers That Be are the rich people in the town in the end they're going to get what they want.  If they didn't I'm sure they'd order an audit of the superintendent's expense report or something like that.

Much worse -- they'd probably kick him out of the First Baptist Church of Mount Vernon.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the game wardens came out to see us this weekend and we asked about the sentiment for Briles in town.  He said it was mixed but noted that the attitude of the players this year was very anti-authority.  Lots of penalties and being disrespectful.  He mentioned it seemed as though Briles left a lot to be handled by his assistants.  

He has a lot of defenders, especially as it relates to the suspended transfers.  One I guess is coming back next year to play but the other will graduate this year and is suspended from all UIL activities.  

On 10/27/2019 at 9:53 AM, Bullneck said:

Just hire COA and mortician to come in as consultants and they'd squash that shit like a bug.

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Based on record it looks like he deserved to go. Just a note that Kingsville fired every principal at every school in town last year.

38 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Based on record it looks like he deserved to go. Just a note that Kingsville fired every principal at every school in town last year.

Just a note Part II:  Koy Detmer, Jr?

"The matchup against Tarleton on October 26 featured a record-breaking performance from senior Koy Detmer Jr. (Somerset, Texas) as the transfer from BYU went 37-for-65 through the air for 450 yards and three touchdowns in the 45-33 loss to the Texans. "

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Things are bad when you're letting UT Permian Basin score 70 on you.

I've heard the good folks of Mt Vernon are generally pretty sympathetic to Art and there was a fair amount of chatter that the Tigers would have gone undefeated and made a deep run into the playoffs if not State if it hadn't of been for the meddling 3A committee taking away Arts star players. A few more devoted Art sympathizers went as far to infer that the committee  were just showboating trying to get some national media attention.

Funny enough, I also did hear that this years team was highly undisciplined both on and off the field. 

Ny7mXWW1_bigger.jpgJoseph Hoyt@JoeJHoyt
Forgot to mention this earlier: Mount Vernon, coached by former Baylor coach Art Briles, was eliminated in the first round of the playoffs after a 20-14 loss to Sabine. Two of Mount Vernon's best players were ruled ineligible earlier this year. https://dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/10/22/uil-rules-two-mount-vernon-players-coached-by-art-briles-ineligible-after-appeal/ #txhsfb
2:21 PM · Nov 20, 2019

On 11/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

The guy can coach. Hitler was a decent painter, Idi Amin made a fine bouillabaisse, Satan plays a wicked lead guitar. Briles can coach football. 

I thought Satan played the fiddle?  Maybe I got that wrong - probably confused Charlie Daniels with Johnny Guitar Watson

Edited by Bluemoon3287

On 11/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, Boogaloo said:

I've heard the good folks of Mt Vernon are generally pretty sympathetic to Art and there was a fair amount of chatter that the Tigers would have gone undefeated and made a deep run into the playoffs if not State if it hadn't of been for the meddling 3A committee taking away Arts star players. A few more devoted Art sympathizers went as far to infer that the committee  were just showboating trying to get some national media attention.

Funny enough, I also did hear that this years team was highly undisciplined both on and off the field. 

And here I thought that Briles was here to instill good Christian values and teachings in these kids.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, smwhorn said:

He will be hired by the Arkansas Razorbacks.  Sooey.  

It's really perfect for him.  Those two deserve eachother.

What does Arkansas have to lose at this point? They may as well pull the trigger on someone like Briles, or they can always continue to remain irrelevant for the foreseeable future. Arkansas never should've left the SWC, it never worked out for them all they have to show is 4 divisional championships, they never even won the conference.

7 hours ago, Goodman said:

S&C season, roid up. Briles longest tradition.

By August little Tyler will bust from 180 to 215 and his back will be covered in bloody acne.  Sure, he'll laugh maniacally one moment and then immediately weep at the dinner table for no reason.  And there'll be holes in the sheet rock and occasionally he'll bust out every piece of glass in dad's SUV for reasons he couldn't articulate through the grunting noises.  When he's rocking back and forth and licking a hunting knife, just let it go.  Teenage years are confusing.  But the entire town will notice very early that there's going to be something special about the upcoming season.  The hand-wringing minority of citizens who are brave enough to voice concern about the long term health effects of the kids will be fired from their jobs and forced to move.  Looking at the upcoming schedule, it'll be impossible to visualize a game that they could lose.  Success! 

Edited by Chooky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1