Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yep classic admission of guilt with that announcement.  We know we’re doing the wrong thing here so let’s start the whole thing by trying to cover shit up right from the jump.  Disgusting

3 day weekend? meh, I bet it was the last day of the school year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, qwertyu1234 said:

giphy.gif

Four reasons Lubbock isn't all bad.

Many years ago, when Art had advanced to flying high in Waco, a fella from Stephenville told me their high school's success was in large part due to their coach's being able to juice the boys up and avoid detection. Not quite the same as ignoring rapists, but not too far away from it, either...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Fair enough. I guess that’s part of my point though. That should’ve been the end of his coaching career, right there. The fact that this school hired him with all the information out there shows they don’t give a flying fuck about your angry emails, and tweets. So then you’re just taking 10 minutes out of your day to literally send a message into the ether that nobody at that school cares about.

So let's just step aside, let the chips fall where they may, no matter what young people may be put at risk in the meantime.  Is that about right?

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I have no idea what is happening. 

My post (also) hung. I noticed a line at the screen bottom "Waiting for someting.twitter.com". Gave up, copied my text, bailed. Came back and it had posted just fine.

Fuck Art Briles.

Oh, and fuck twitter, too.

20 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So let's just step aside, let the chips fall where they may, no matter what young people may be put at risk in the meantime.  Is that about right?

If you want to go protest or some shit, fine. Something that they can’t turn away from. But spamming their email and social media and thinking that will accomplish anything is kinda laughable IMO. Who do you guys think is reading this shit? Some student aid who is in charge of this guy’s social media?

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Fair enough. I guess that’s part of my point though. That should’ve been the end of his coaching career, right there. The fact that this school hired him with all the information out there shows they don’t give a flying fuck about your angry emails, and tweets. So then you’re just taking 10 minutes out of your day to literally send a message into the ether that nobody at that school cares about.

Elected school board officials might give a flying fuck if they start hearing and/or receiving a lot of backlash.

6 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I honestly think this crew might have been so sheltered in their own corner of news/social media they don't quite know what they did.

And I say this as someone that is waaaay out on the "salt the earth they walked on" side of this scandal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My very good friend is vacationing in Florence right now with his wife and two little daughters. Shall I email him to look up AB and throw a coke on that POS?

They say there's no such thing as a dumb question.  

Spoiler

FUCK YES.  DO IT.

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Austin has been good to me for some time now.

I’m packing up and moving to Mount Vernon....

...to become a rape kit salesman.

Stupid move.  You'd have to sell a ton of rape kits to make enough money to pay for your house, vacations, boat, new cars, kid's education, and retirement. 

Oh, wait.  I see they hired Art Briles. Do it.

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Believe what you want, but social media backlash is a real thing.

I doubt the residents of mt vernon are concerned about social media.  if he makes them a winning program he’ll be anointed king of the town.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Good article. And just so we all remember, @markstanco, 52 rapes. 31 players.

Arty got Fingered?

The way it started out, I thought it was going to be a massive apologist piece...

My very good friend is vacationing in Florence right now with his wife and two little daughters. Shall I email him to look up AB and throw a coke on that POS?

Wait a minute...
You have a friend with, “little kids”? By little you mean 30-40?
  • Like 1

I hope that motherfucker loses every game and his rival coaches watch his sorry ass like hawks.  If he starts the Stephenville steroid culture at 3A Mount Vernon, I hope he is exposed, charged and jailed.  Art Briles is a piece of shit that has no business teaching school in Texas.  Is he going to teach a health class as part of his duties? 

• Like 1

I doubt the residents of mt vernon are concerned about social media.  if he makes them a winning program he’ll be anointed king of the town.  

This is more song the lines of the truth. Social media campaigns only work on people that give a shit about that. Mt. Vernon will disappoint y’all.
I hope that motherfucker loses every game and his rival coaches watch his sorry ass like hawks.  If he starts the Stephenville steroid culture at 3A Mount Vernon, I hope he is exposed, charged and jailed.  Art Briles is a piece of shit that has no business teaching school in Texas.  Is he going to teach a health class as part of his duties? 

Probably sex Ed.

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:
It's deep in meth country, roughly halfway between Sulphur Springs and Mt. Pleasant on an East/West axis, or Paris and Tyler on a North/South axis.

Actually no, the local lake is full of Dallas folf. Median lake house worth is 650k.

That description is accurate for the permanent residents.  It’s a pretty nice lake, but the folks that own the lake houses aren’t sending their kids to school there.   I’m out there 3-4 times a year.  Based on that experience, I predict the local backlash will approach zero.  

7 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If you want to go protest or some shit, fine. Something that they can’t turn away from. But spamming their email and social media and thinking that will accomplish anything is kinda laughable IMO. Who do you guys think is reading this shit? Some student aid who is in charge of this guy’s social media?

If you want to go protest or some shit, fine. But spamming Surly and thinking that will accomplish anything is kinda laughable IMO

By all means though, keep trying to make this story about some people who *might* send an email over a piece of shit like CAB.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

If this Mount Vernon Superintendent gig doesn't work out for him, maybe he can go work at texags.  He's in full delete mode right now.

They really do not care what anyone thinks. He simply wants to win football games and avoid the social media backlash. I’m surprised they even announced anything. 

21 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This seems kinda aggy, no? Superintendent knew exactly what he was getting himself into. Are people in this thread really taking time out of their day to “voice their frustration and concerns” lol. C’mon guys. Is it a short sited move, yes. But Briles is going to get what’s coming to him one way or another (maybe his judgement day). 

OK McCullough,  we get it that you don't want to get a bunch of e-mails,  tweets and dislikes on your facebook.

But, you got mine anyway. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Art Briles is going to the deepest pits of hell when his time comes. You know that, I know that, deep down he knows that. He has to live with that. I’m not going to get worked up over a superintendent who’s selling his sole to the devil, and is going to end up cell mates with Briles in hell. If that’s what they want to do, and have that kind of permanent stain on your school, I’m not going to put a single ounce of “outrage” into it. Karma will get them, and/or their judgement day will get them. I’ve already wasted enough time in this thread, so I’m going to keep my day moving and probably forget about this story within the next few hours.

The ooooolld “just you wait until you’re dead, mister!” defense. Very strong. 

15 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think are rather embarrassing ways to mock the town, school and Briles heading into the fall, and I know that none of them will be very expensive. This whole thing needs a public trolling. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think are rather embarrassing ways to mock the town, school and Briles heading into the fall, and I know that none of them will be very expensive. This whole thing needs a public trolling. 

Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Does anyone actually believe Briles will coach there in the fall?

I didn't actually believe anyone (especially a high school) would hire him at all.  So, yeah I guess I'm a little skeptical that they'll actually do the right thing now and walk this thing back.

11 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Does anyone actually believe Briles will coach there in the fall?

I'm on the fence.

Let's assume for a moment the residents are beyond pissed.  They can't take any action against the district other than protests, strongly worded letters, etc.  Only one board member will be up for re-election sometime in the next year, so they vote that person out.  There's still 6 more board members to go, and the superintendent works for the board. So, the board and the supt can go full defiance on this and let it play out.

On the other hand, the board may own small businesses in the community.  A boycott of their businesses, along with a public shunning can also cause them to have a change of heart.

I really don't know the history of Mount Vernon athletics, so I don't know if this is a jolt to restore a comatose football program to the days of glory it once had, or something else.  I don't suspect it's because ole' Art has financial issues, so the only thing that makes sense is some kind of (chuckles) rehabilitation of his persona by taking several steps back from what he was doing to coach 3A high school football.  But then again, why would the supt and board open themselves up to deserved world-class criticism?

What would really be a game-changer for this is for the UIL to quietly inform Mount Vernon that they want full details of this hiring, along with expectations, and why the school chose this candidate for the position over countless other qualified people.  The district sure as hell does not want to be on the wrong side of things UIL-wise.   And I'm not suggesting that the UIL has the power to tell districts who to hire or fire.  But this hire deserves some level of inquiry.