Nolan makes his Bond film: Tenet

Parliament

I’m interested in this premise of time inversion. Wouldn’t it have similar issues of paradox as standard time travel, in that if you are moving backwards through time and cause changes to the “present”, it would affect the “future” for those moving forward in time, possibly such that you don’t end up going into the inversion at all?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
21 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:
I personally do not believe time travel to the past is possible. Maybe to the future, but not the past. The past is gone forever. 

Not true. Its possible. I went back in time and slept with your mom 9 months before you were born. You don't think you got your looks from your dad, do you?

Kinda random but ok. 

Quick question though. Did your mom ever visit a club in the arboretum called tangerines?

Just curious. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m interested in this premise of time inversion. Wouldn’t it have similar issues of paradox as standard time travel, in that if you are moving backwards through time and cause changes to the “present”, it would affect the “future” for those moving forward in time, possibly such that you don’t end up going into the inversion at all?

this paradox is both present, and solved, in the same way as in basically all other time travel fiction .... that its a closed loop and the viewer learns that the present timeline has already had the actions of future time travelers already incorporated in it. 

e.g. the dinosaurs of our world actually died because some fuckwad in 2100 sent a nuclear bomb back 65 million years and nuked earth, thereby allowing small mammals to thrive and ushering the evolution of humans, who would develop a nuclear bomb and nuke the cretacious just for fun

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

this paradox is both present, and solved, in the same way as in basically all other time travel fiction .... that its a closed loop and the viewer learns that the present timeline has already had the actions of future time travelers already incorporated in it. 

e.g. the dinosaurs of our world actually died because some fuckwad in 2100 sent a nuclear bomb back 65 million years and nuked earth, thereby allowing small mammals to thrive and ushering the evolution of humans, who would develop a nuclear bomb and nuke the cretacious just for fun

Yeah that doesn’t work for me. It invokes the idea of predestiny. Bill and Ted poked fun at this 30 years ago. 

Going to see a time travel movie and then complaining about time travel problems is, well, I have no sympathy.

That first scene was fucking badass. And yes it’s LOUD (I saw it at an AMC Dolby theater which are loud af). And the music really ratchets up the tension. I loved how the music would start to go backwards when some backwards shit was about to go down.

On 9/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

Do we think they left it open to a sequel?

Enough of an opening but I don't think this director is crass enough to do something that idiotic. (checks year...fuck)

The soundtrack is good. I noticed the out-of-kilter balance but they edit the sound for the tonality desired with butts in seats which affects dampening in a theater. Saw it tonight and there were three people in the theater including me. I liked it, but I like Nolan in general and Inception is one of my favorite movies of all time.

My car club voted to see this at a drive in theater tonight. I'm glad I went to see everyone and all they've done with their rides since the last time 6 months ago but this is not a movie you want to see in a drive in unless you're right in front of the screen and have a bad ass car audio system. Even then using FM frequency for audio makes it scratchy and garbled. And that place was fucking packed. 

Not to mention I was watching the final 8 min of the Stars game on my phone during the beginning of the movie so I was lost. Thing is I don't really feel the desire to see it again at all. After catching up by reading the parts I missed in the beginning the rest was just ok. 

i think i liked the movie. i don't know. why you ask? because i couldn't hear or understand any of the dialogue.

apparently i wasn't the only one. kinda hard following a complex movie when you have no idea what anyone is saying.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a33859053/tenet-sound-problems/#:~:text=One Warner Bros.,the overall idea was conveyed.

but i have a giant plot hole, maybe, question.

Spoiler

so, sator wants to bury the algorithm on the 14th so that the later generation can dig it up to release the entropy to kill the "grandfathers". in the original timeline, it worked. michael cane's character told the protagonist about it days later.

so the final battle is raiding of the soviet city to prevent the bomb going off and burying the algorithm.

so here's the question. why need the battle? why can't they just come back a few weeks, years, decades later and dig up the algorithm, just like the later generation plans to do. dig it up with no drama, and then dispose of it again?

that seems a hell of a lot easier than trying to stop what already happened once.

and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

why can't the later generation just have someone else go back through time and win the battle in that russian city against the protagonist.

it'll be like terminators in perpetuity.

Edited by crash_davis

I've seen a lot of reviews say the dialogue was hard to understand.  I saw it at a drive through and could understand everything fine.  I think being able to turn up the volume for dialogue and then turn it back down for the action and score heavy scenes helped a lot.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, Buzzrock said:

There are plot holes in every time travel movie. At least this one is more interesting because you can’t just jump in a Delorean and go somewhere in time. You have to travel there backwards.

Except unlike the Delorean movie, nobody will be talking about Tenet still 35 years later.  

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, crash_davis said:

i think i liked the movie. i don't know. why you ask? because i couldn't hear or understand any of the dialogue.

apparently i wasn't the only one. kinda hard following a complex movie when you have no idea what anyone is saying.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a33859053/tenet-sound-problems/#:~:text=One Warner Bros.,the overall idea was conveyed.

but i have a giant plot hole, maybe, question.

Hide contents

so, sator wants to bury the algorithm on the 14th so that the later generation can dig it up to release the entropy to kill the "grandfathers". in the original timeline, it worked. michael cane's character told the protagonist about it days later.

so the final battle is raiding of the soviet city to prevent the bomb going off and burying the algorithm.

so here's the question. why need the battle? why can't they just come back a few weeks, years, decades later and dig up the algorithm, just like the later generation plans to do. dig it up with no drama, and then dispose of it again?

that seems a hell of a lot easier than trying to stop what already happened once.

Spoiler

I only saw it once, but as far as I remember, in the "original timeline" the bomb did not go off.  what michael cane told him exploded was not the megabomb, it was the explosions as part of the battle (that protagonist would later take part in, when he goes back in time). 

hence, theyre not trying to go back in time to stop what already happened.  they , unknowingly, are already fate-bound to go back in time to do what has already happened.  hence the closed loop paradox.

Hide contents

why can't the later generation just have someone else go back through time and win the battle in that russian city against the protagonist.

it'll be like terminators in perpetuity.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:47 PM, WBT said:

I've seen a lot of reviews say the dialogue was hard to understand.  I saw it at a drive through and could understand everything fine.  I think being able to turn up the volume for dialogue and then turn it back down for the action and score heavy scenes helped a lot.

A drive through movie? That's a pretty novel concept, but I'm not sure it will take off. Heck, people get pissed when you order food at the Sonic drive through, much less try and watch a movie.

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Spoiler

downloaded the subtitles and read some of the movie.

the plan is for sator to bury the algorithm at the hypo center at Stalsk 12 on the 14th so that the later generations can find it and kill their grandfathers by unleashing the entropy algorithm bomb. he does that, or at least thinks that he does that, on the day that the movie opens in Kiev which is the same day that the movie ends. so basically he never succeeded in burying the algorithm because future (by weeks) protagonist and team prevented the algorithm from being buried by being inverted in going back in the past? so this begs the question if the entire movie with sator happens in the past since sator would've died on the 14th since she shot him on the boat?

also there would have been at least 2 protagonist in this reality on that exact day the 14th, the protagonists at the beginning of the movie in kiev and the protagonist at the end of the movie in Stalsk 12. so what happens to the protagonist in the kiev timeline?

and i was thinking that sator had already buried the algorithm in the original timeline at the beginning of the movie. i was thinking he buried it and they all continued to live, then why just not dig the shit up later. but apparently sator was not able to bury the algorithm. would the world have ended that exact day if sator had buried the algo? if not, then my question applies, why have the end of movie battle? why not just dig the shit up later as the later gen was going to do?

Edited by crash_davis

also....this one really confuses me.

Spoiler

you can't technically magically time travel in this movie. you have to live through the time travel inverted. you experience the inverted time travel just as you would as if you were living non-inverted, meaning that you age. you have to earn each day you go back in time. 

with that said, i didnt' read this part yet but did the future gen expect to use the entropy bomb in the original timeline, meaning during sometime or close to when the movie happens? if so, the would mean future someones would have to invert (live out) decades to travel back to in time to kill their grandfathers. i guess that's feasible but that is a long as time to live inverted. OR did they denote the bomb in their timeline but it only affected their grandfathers time?

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:
  Hide contents

downloaded the subtitles and read some of the movie.

the plan is for sator to bury the algorithm at the hypo center at Stalsk 12 on the 14th so that the later generations can find it and kill their grandfathers by unleashing the entropy algorithm bomb. he does that, or at least thinks that he does that, on the day that the movie opens in Kiev which is the same day that the movie ends. so basically he never succeeded in burying the algorithm because future (by weeks) protagonist and team prevented the algorithm from being buried by being inverted in going back in the past? so this begs the question if the entire movie with sator happens in the past since sator would've died on the 14th since she shot him on the boat?

also there would have been at least 2 protagonist in this reality on that exact day the 14th, the protagonists at the beginning of the movie in kiev and the protagonist at the end of the movie in Stalsk 12. so what happens to the protagonist in the kiev timeline?

and i was thinking that sator had already buried the algorithm in the original timeline at the beginning of the movie. i was thinking he buried it and they all continued to live, then why just not dig the shit up later. but apparently sator was not able to bury the algorithm. would the world have ended that exact day if sator had buried the algo? if not, then my question applies, why have the end of movie battle? why not just dig the shit up later as the later gen was going to do?

Spoiler

when you go through the inversion machine there would be +1 version of you existing simultaneously.  yes there are multiple protagonists.  each one , if you assume kiev as a starting point, would essentially go through life the way you view the movie:  kiev, gets recruited into tenet, does all the wild shit, kills priya to save young max, and implied perpetual loop of: [train max to found tenet, max goes in time and saves the next protagonist in kiev, etc]

from max's perspective, he saves protagonist at kiev, plays along with protagonist as protagonist "learns" about tenet, goes on the wild adventure, after the battle [3 guys with 3 algorithms] he inverts back in time to give up his life to save protagonist.  that's why he shows throughout the movie that he knows more than he lets on.

basically, theyre all stuck in a loop

On 9/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, Tom said:

Movie was interesting but I'm not sure why it's being compared to Bond.  What do these movies have in common other than both main characters being a spy?

Like most Nolan movies, it's a great concept with tons of cool moments and great special effects that ends up being a bit convoluted, a bit too long, and drags at points.

3/5

And you probably have to watch it twice or three times to actually understand it and understand what they’re saying because the words are spoken so softly. Correct?

4 hours ago, Brandywine said:

And you probably have to watch it twice or three times to actually understand it and understand what they’re saying because the words are spoken so softly. Correct?

I've watched it twice at this point and feel like I understand it, but it's just a mediocre movie.  I didn't have the audio problems a lot of people apparently had with this movie either.  People are going to love it solely because it's by Nolan, but this is his worst movie, IMO.  The pacing is awful.  Everything feels rushed except for the action scenes.  There are about two million plot holes.

If this was the movie theaters were hoping to save them, God help them.

16 hours ago, Brandywine said:

not soft spoken, think of everyone talking behind a mask.  It's a loud mumble/muffled sound with a bunch of midbass range.  Plenty loud, just hard to distinguish the annunciation. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom said:

I've watched it twice at this point and feel like I understand it, but it's just a mediocre movie.  I didn't have the audio problems a lot of people apparently had with this movie either.  People are going to love it solely because it's by Nolan, but this is his worst movie, IMO.  The pacing is awful.  Everything feels rushed except for the action scenes.  There are about two million plot holes.

If this was the movie theaters were hoping to save them, God help them.

It's even more convoluted than Inception and just didn't work. If you don't look at it critically and just as you would say a Mission Impossible type movie it had some enjoyable parts. In it's attempts to be clever it got too wound up in itself and doesn't make a lot of sense. 

My head is still in a pretzel

This movie was Deja Vu meets Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit (which also starred Branagh as a Russian Villain). I enjoyed it though, and loved the OST. One of the more tense/suspenseful movies ive seen recently. Fun to see at least once or twice, but definitely not worth watching over and over again like Dark Knight or Prestige

On 9/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, longhrnfan said:

Has this leaked as a torrent yet (I'm not talking cam versions)

On 9/28/2020 at 2:03 PM, Scary Stranger said:

No

the cam version is pretty good for a cam version. i wouldn't watch it if you have not seen the movie. i WOULD watch it if, like me, you want to re-watch to miss all of the got damned dialogue that you didn't hear/understand upon first viewing in the theater. also helps if you dload subtitles. may have to play around a bit on VLC to synch the subtitles and the audio.

on second viewing, nope, not one of Nolan's better works. his previous movies dealt with complex shit or complex story lines. but the great thing about those movies is the emotional connection to the protagonists, the emotional weakness of those characters. you felt the urgency and pain in Matt Mc's character in Interstellar, you felt the confusion and frustration in Guy Pearce's Momento character, you felt the regret and understood the motivation of Leo's character in Inception. his Batman series was got damned amazing because you completely emotionally and psychotically understood Christian Bale's Batman character. that connection was wholly missing in this movie. in Tenet, i really couldn't give two shits if any of the characters died. other than saving the world as his job, there was no emotional driver for the Protagonist in this movie. he's just a dude doing his CIA type job.

6/10 for me, but as compared to Nolan movies. he's held to a much higher standard because he's usually fucking awesome. still better than most of the tripe put out by hollywood.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night, I thought it was good but the complaints about not being able to hear what the hell is going on is valid. The first scene in the opera my wife and I both couldn't hear one word that was said. The masks they were wearing and the bass in the theater drowned it all out. 

I thought Pattison did a great job with his character. He was probably the best acted part of the film. 

Will have to go back and watch it and put it all together once it is available in home. 

On 9/11/2020 at 9:59 PM, Buzzrock said:

Do we think they left it open to a sequel?

yeah I think there will be a sequel. Just due to the fact that this one got so fucked up with the pandemic. Nolan is going to get a do over. 

I did love Neil saying "we get into some stuff" at the end, that was the perfect line.