Nolan makes his Bond film: Tenet

Parliament

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Second viewing was better for me. 

I am going to spoiler it because it just dropped on HBO - but I don't think anyone who hasn't seen will understand any of this:

Hide contents

The-Protagonist-timeline-full.png

Entropy inversion is an interesting plot device.

Hawking - The thermodynamic arrow would reverse during a contracting phase of the Universe or inside black holes. Possible observational tests of this prediction are discussed.

https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.32.2489

Thanks for trying to clear it up, it is confusing to me.

2 hours ago, Brandywine said:

Thanks for trying to clear it up, it is confusing to me.

There is a lot going on in the film (what I expect from C. Nolan).

For instance, Sator (Kenneth Branagh's character) comes from: 

!Spoiler warning!

Spoiler

A Sator Square (pre-Christian/early Christian):

A Place of Brightness: The Sator Square, Palindromes, and Fun with Words...

The Sator Square has been found in ruins everywhere from Pompeii to England to Syria to Sweden, and has been linked both with the ancient Roman god Saturn, who is associated with, among other things, time, agriculture, and magic; and with Christianity, as the letters inscribed in the square, rearranged, form "paternoster," the first two words of the Lord's Prayer in Latin.

SATOR OPERA TENET AREPO ROTAS can be read from the left, from the right, and from the top-down and from the bottom-up without losing its meaning, making it a two-dimensional palindromic sentence. Translated from Latin, it goes something like "The farmer Arepo uses plough wheels for his work," or "The farmer Arepo holds the wheels with difficulty." Because Latin doesn't have particularly strict word order rules, you can rearrange the words of the sentence and it'll still make sense. The meaning is nothing special, but it's still cool that someone created a sentence that can be read in any direction. 

But what does this have to do with Tenet? You may recognize Sator as the surname of Kenneth Branagh's Russian villain, Andrei Sator. Opera is obviously the location of the first big action scene, and Tenet is, of course, the title. Arepo is the name of the forger who drew the fake Goya that Sator's wife unknowingly sold to him, and Rotas is the name of the security company running Oslo Freeport, where Sator has been storing his art tax-free and where the Protagonist and his partner Neil break in. The square doesn't give away much of the plot, and seems to have been a little reference that Nolan threw in, in deference to one of the world's first complex mind-games. The jury's still out on whether or not Tenet makes as much sense backwards as it does forwards. 

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/tenet-sator-square-explained

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

There is a lot going on in the film (what I expect from C. Nolan).

For instance, Sator (Kenneth Branagh's character) comes from: 

!Spoiler warning!

Hide contents

A Sator Square (pre-Christian/early Christian):

A Place of Brightness: The Sator Square, Palindromes, and Fun with Words...

The Sator Square has been found in ruins everywhere from Pompeii to England to Syria to Sweden, and has been linked both with the ancient Roman god Saturn, who is associated with, among other things, time, agriculture, and magic; and with Christianity, as the letters inscribed in the square, rearranged, form "paternoster," the first two words of the Lord's Prayer in Latin.

SATOR OPERA TENET AREPO ROTAS can be read from the left, from the right, and from the top-down and from the bottom-up without losing its meaning, making it a two-dimensional palindromic sentence. Translated from Latin, it goes something like "The farmer Arepo uses plough wheels for his work," or "The farmer Arepo holds the wheels with difficulty." Because Latin doesn't have particularly strict word order rules, you can rearrange the words of the sentence and it'll still make sense. The meaning is nothing special, but it's still cool that someone created a sentence that can be read in any direction. 

But what does this have to do with Tenet? You may recognize Sator as the surname of Kenneth Branagh's Russian villain, Andrei Sator. Opera is obviously the location of the first big action scene, and Tenet is, of course, the title. Arepo is the name of the forger who drew the fake Goya that Sator's wife unknowingly sold to him, and Rotas is the name of the security company running Oslo Freeport, where Sator has been storing his art tax-free and where the Protagonist and his partner Neil break in. The square doesn't give away much of the plot, and seems to have been a little reference that Nolan threw in, in deference to one of the world's first complex mind-games. The jury's still out on whether or not Tenet makes as much sense backwards as it does forwards. 

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/tenet-sator-square-explained

I’m impressed. That’s interesting. Nolan’s films always have many layers. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2020 at 8:47 PM, Buzzrock said:

There are plot holes in every time travel movie. At least this one is more interesting because you can’t just jump in a Delorean and go somewhere in time. You have to travel there backwards.

wouldn't a person go back in time to lay a TON of bets ?  <<<< this is the plot hole in all time travel movies 

it just hit HBOMAX

• Hook 'Em 1