Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Earlier tonight I had to go get my son from a friend's house down the rode.  I was wearing a Steal your Face shirt when the Dad of my don's friend opened the door.  He called for my son and then said "I like your shirt".  I asked if he was a fan and he said kind of and that he really liked Touch of Grey.  I kind of wanted to kick him, but then I also wanted to drop some knowledge on him. 

I've been digging this show for a few days now. 4/30/77 at The Palladium in New York.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-04-30.moore.minches.17952.sbeok.shnf

And also these two shows from the Fox Theater in Atlanta 5/18/77 and 5/19/77.

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-18.sbd.ladner.4618.sbeok.shnf

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-19.sbd.direwolf.3120.sbeok.shnf

Where is everyone? It’s a beautiful night to have a drink and listen to some Grateful Dead. I’ve been listening to the Formerly the Warlocks shows from Hampton Coliseum (10/7/89 and 10/8/89) for the last few days. Damn good shows!

Those Warlocks shows are awesome.  They are really locked in. love the Bird Song (always a favorite) and the whole 2nd set from night 2 is gonna get a lot of play.  You can feel the energy from the crowd when they bust out Dark Star.
The new 91 giants stadium show that dropped is really damn good too.  The Eyes opener is so tight and then pre-drums is really long and slams hard.  I hadn’t listened to this show and was surprised that Dark Star (pt 4) isn’t exactly that (spoiler?).  I always enjoyed how  they fuck with naming jams on official releases.

I’ll try to drop in a little more.  I am studying for a Masters and have been listening to a lot of Dead for motivation/boredom relief.

I've really tried to listen to the 91 Giant's stadium show that eveyone raves about, but I really can't get into it much.  It's fine, but I don't understand the hype for it.  I can think of 100 other shows I'd rather listen to including the "Vince" only shows I went  to in 93 and 94.  That Giants Stadium show sounds very muddled to me.  It's good to have in the background during a party, but I'd never sit around and listen to it.  Flame away if necessary, but I've really never found a "Bruce" show that I love.

As we all know, the Grateful Dead was well known for covering some of the greatest musicians of all time.  The covered everyone form Dylan, Smokey, Robinson, and Merle Haggard just o name a few.  Some of the covers they did are by far my favorite versions of those songs, especially the Dylan songs as I was never a big fan of his music.  Are there any songs that you wish they had covered?  One that comes to mind for me is Whiskey River.  I can imagine them doing a great version. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where are all the Deadheads???  We bought a new car a few weeks ago so we got a free 90 day trial of Sirius XM.  I absolutely love the GD channel. I'm pretty sure when our trial runs out I'll go ahead and pay the $60 to have it for the next year.  I'm hooked now, especially since I can also access it via the app and listen to it in my car.  I had to be down in Houston this week for a training class for two days.  Both days the ride home was over an hour.  The GD channel made the ride bearable if not downright enjoyable.  I'm not sure how I made it this far in life without it all the time.

• Like 1

Where in the hell is everyone?  Today is Brent Mydland's birthday.  In honor of that, watch him go off on Women are Smarter.

In a weird turn of events, it's also Jeff Chimenti's birthday. So you can watch him play along to Eyes of the World.  This may be my favorite Dead and Company song to date, including the show I saw in Austin in 2017.  This is a pretty good Eyes as far as Dead & Co go.

http://www.joerussosalmostdead.com/

Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD).  They were terrific.  I'm not sure, but I don't think they had played in Texas before or at least not in Houston.  I think they were fairly surprised by the crowd. If they come to your town I would recommend that you go.  You'll have a great time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hate said:

http://www.joerussosalmostdead.com/

Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD).  They were terrific.  I'm not sure, but I don't think they had played in Texas before or at least not in Houston.  I think they were fairly surprised by the crowd. If they come to your town I would recommend that you go.  You'll have a great time.

Yeah, we mostly get Dark Star Orchestra touring around here, but 2 nights of Dead and Co. NOV. 8-9  coming up !!!

On 10/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, Hate said:

Where are all the Deadheads???  We bought a new car a few weeks ago so we got a free 90 day trial of Sirius XM.  I absolutely love the GD channel. I'm pretty sure when our trial runs out I'll go ahead and pay the $60 to have it for the next year.  I'm hooked now, especially since I can also access it via the app and listen to it in my car.  I had to be down in Houston this week for a training class for two days.  Both days the ride home was over an hour.  The GD channel made the ride bearable if not downright enjoyable.  I'm not sure how I made it this far in life without it all the time.

Love the GD channel.  Caught the Other One from 10/24/72 on TIGDH the other day.  Phil took charge and led a really cool bass driven jam.  Apparently they did it a few times and tapers named it the Philo Stomp.  Really good stuff if you are into the 73 jazzy stuff.

with regard to covers I wish they had done, maybe more Sam Cooke (Bring it on home to me or You Send Me?).  I love LTGTR. Also, more of the old country stuff. I never skip Big River, You Win Again, Race is On, tomorrow is Forever, etc.  love that stuff.  A Buck Owens cover or two would have been good (Under your Spell again?).  I would want them to pick the tune since they were so good at picking one that they could make their own.  A lot of the covers Jerry played with JGB were ripe for a Dead version too.

• Like 1

Right after posting thought of the song I wish they’d played:

Freedom Jazz Dance

Jerry played it with Legion of Mary.  There is one version on Spotify and I have another on a cassette somewhere.  There is also a String Cheese version of the song there from a show I saw at the Backyard in ~03 (miss that place).  

great old funky jazz song.  73-77 dead would have absolutely slayed it..

Well, 2 out of three ain't bad...ou lost and the Astros won.  It was a net positive day.  I'll celebrate by drinking some bourbon and listening to some Grateful Dead.  Since this thread doesn't update as often as it used to, I've been forced into Facebook to find like minded people.  There was a discussion about Donna and her singing, so I'm going to find some great songs with Donna tonight.  My favorites of hers are The Music Never Stopped and Looks Like Rain. 

Edited by Hate

I've been jamming some JGB the last few days and I can't figure out why Rubin and Cherise never made it into the regular rotation back in the day.  I can really only find Dead versions from the 90's.  I think I remember The Cruiser having some insight into this from TOS? 

Edited by Hate

I've been on a Franklin's Tower kick the last few days.  I'm jamming the 5/9/77 Franklin's at the moment.  It's fantastic!!  It was from the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium the day after the infamous Cornell show.  I'll always have special place in my heart for Buffalo since Buffalo was the sight of my first show and I also went to a head shop in Buffalo called Franklin's Tower.  Roll away the Dew!

• Like 1

I'm listening to the 4/23/77 show you listed above right now.  What was it with 77 that there are so many fantastic recordings?  I'm listening to it on youtube and the sound quality is outstanding.  It seems like that holds true for a lot of 77.  I wonder if that plays a part in how legendary that year was.

Well maybe, except there are only 13 or so shows from '77 that also have Betty boards. Here is the list of Betty boards:

02.18.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
02.19.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
02.20.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
02.21.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
02.23.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
02.24.71 The Capitol Theater, Port Chester, New York
04.05.71 Manhattan Center, New York City (End Of 2nd Set Only)
04.06.71 Manhattan Center, New York City
04.07.71 Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
04.08.71 Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
12.14.71 The Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, Michigan
05.04.72 The Olympia Theater, Paris, France
08.21.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California
08.22.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California
08.25.72 Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, California
08.27.72 Old Renaissance Faire Ground, Veneta, Oregon
03.16.73 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, Long Island, New York
03.21.73 Memorial Auditorium, Utica, New York
03.22.73 Memorial Auditorium, Utica, New York
03.24.73 Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
05.26.73 Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, California
06.22.73 Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
06.10.76 The Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
06.11.76 The Boston Music Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
06.14.76 The Beacon Theater, New York City
06.15.76 The Beacon Theater, New York City
06.29.76 The Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
02.26.77 The Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, California
05.05.77 New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, Connecticut
05.07.77 Boston Gardens, Boston, Massachusetts
05.08.77 Barton Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
05.09.77 War Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York
09.29.77 The Paramount Theater, Seattle, Washington
10.02.77 The Paramount Theater, Portland, Oregon
10.28.77 Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall, Kansas City, Missouri
10.29.77 Field House, Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Illinois
10.30.77 Assembly Hall, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
11.01.77 Cobo Hall, Detroit, Michigan
11.05.77 War Memorial, Rochester, New York (End Of Show)
11.06.77 Broome County Arena, Binghamton, New York
04.07.78 Hollywood Sportatorium, Hollywood, Florida
04.10.78 The Fox Theater, Atlanta, Georgia
04.11.78 The Fox Theater, Atlanta, Georgia
04.12.78 Cameroon Indoor Stadium, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
04.14.78 Coliseum, Virginia Polytechnic, Blacksburg, Virginia
04.15.78 William And Mary College, Williamsburg, Virginia
07.07.78 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, Colorado
07.08.78 Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison, Colorado
10.18.78 Winterland, San Francisco, California
04.22.79 Spartan Stadium, San Jose, California

The show I was listening to, 4/23/77, isn't on that list but the quality of the recording is outstanding. 

I'm jamming the 11/2/77 show from Seneca College tonight.  It's a damn fine show!  I've been on a '77 kick for a few weeks and I'm loving it.  I'm going to work through all of the shows alincoln mentioned above this week.  Can't wait.

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-11-02.aud.zimmerman.minches.81012.sbeok.flac16

Edited by Hate

I really like the 2/26/77 show (Dave’s picks 29).  Great sound.  I just got DaP32 (3/24/73) today and am about halfway through.  Really nice recording of what is, so far a really good show.  It is a Kidd Candelario/Rex Jackson recording.  The shows they release taped by Kidd always sound great.  Highlights for me so far are Cumberland, Row Jimmy, Tennessee Jed, Here Comes Sunshine, Playin, China/Rider, Stella Blue.  Can’t wait for the big jam in set 2.
I always come back to 72-74 as my favorite era and this show is a good one.

That's certainly one of the great runs they had.  I wasn't sure how much I was going to like the PNW CD set because I really hadn't gotten into that era much outside of Europe 72.  It's turned out to be one of my favorite CD sets.  I love the jazzy Eyes, slow He's Gone, and the crisp Bird Song. Whenever we have those clear sunny days, that is my go to era and I can't really explain why.  It just sounds like a clear, cool, and sunny day. 

The PNW set is great.  The two big truckin jams are so good and the Bird song is the only one I’ve heard that compares to my 3 long-time favorites (8/27, 9/21, and 9/27 all in 72).  The 9/21/72 one has a spot shortly into the jam where Jerry drops out with a broken string.  Keith lays down a solo so good i don’t miss Jerry even a little.  That show also has by far my favorite Cumberland and my #2 Playin after 8/27/72.  The DarkStar>Dew is great too.  

While I love the Dick’s pick quality, for some reason I think my old tape (1st gen my brother made me from a DAT) just crackles with energy a bit more.  Memories of listening to those tapes over and over on my Walkman while walking thru campus is probably why I love that show so much.  Same with 9/10/91.

• Like 1

With respect to May, my favorite shows are 5.5, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.17, 5.19 and 5.22 but they are all good.  5.17 (Tuscaloosa) isn't exactly off the beaten path but it is sometimes overlooked in May 77 due to the number of legendary shows (the 5.7 - 5.9 holy trinity) and shows that received higher profile releases (5.19 and 5.21 - Dicks Picks 29; 5.22 - Dick's Picks 3; 5.25 - Dave's Picks 1; and 5.28 - To Terrapin).    

• Like 1

I'm working through the list of May shows and tonight it's the 5/9/77 show from Buffalo.  It was the night after the legendary Cornell show and seems to be lacking a little energy from that one.  It's a great show, but one of the things that makes Cornell so good is that they didn't mess up any of the lyrics (for me anyway).  The standouts have been a great HOTW>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower to start the night, a sweet Peggy-O (might be my favorite one ever),  an outstanding Music never Stopped, a slow but fantastic Bertha,  great finish with Sugar Magnolia and Uncle John's Band.  A very very good show all around. 

Me and my son were playing a couple of computer games together before bedtime and of course I also had some Grateful Dead playing.  I had a proud Dad moment when he was singing along to They Love Each Other and It's All Over Now.  It damn near brought a tear to my eye.  I think I may take him the next time Dead & Co. come to Texas. 

• Like 1

Dead & Co Friday and Saturday night Nov. 8-9

Bertha

Good lovin'

Shakedown Street (just about 30 minutes it felt like)

They love each other (the best performance of the weekend IMO)

Black throated wind

Mr. Charlie

Miss half step

Throwing stones

Althea

Estimated prophet

Eyes of the world

Terrapin station

My favorite things

Days in  between

China cat sunflower

I know you rider

Touch of grey

Sat. night

Truckin

Big railroad blues

He's gone

Tenne-fucking -see Jed

Friend of the devil

Birdsong

One more Saturday night

Playin in the band

Franklins tower

Scarlet begonias

Fire on the mountain

Uncle Johns band

Black peter

Sugar magnolia

Ripple (acoustic of course)

The Shakedown did live up to the hype.  Now I'm on to JGB Knocking on Heaven's door.  For years I had a version downloaded that was king of a reggae version that I couldn't find in the Grateful Dead archives.  I loved the way the Grateful Dead played it, but I could never find the version I that I had downloaded and loved.  It was on Shaggy that someone finally clued me into the fact that it was the JGB version that I loved and I'm listening to it now.  So thank to whomever you were on TOS, because I fucking love this version!

If you’re feeling a little down after the game today, just remember you are a Deadhead. You have a built in advantage that other don’t. You can sit at home tonight and listen to your favorite show. You can listen to an awesome Franklin’s Tower and know everything is going to be ok

On 11/12/2019 at 3:17 PM, Hate said:

So, how was it?

I thought the Friday night show was their best of the 2.  They love each other was fucking amazing, Mayer is a freak on guitar.  A bit more up tempo and energetic show on Friday.  

Saturday was definitely more mellow, and laid back, with a great playlist IMO.

• Like 1

Staying up "late" last night with the 4 year old to watch the Leonid meteor shower.  She asked why it was a good night to watch them.  My answer was really "because your mom won't let us stay up this late on a schoolnight."  But I said it was because there was no moon tonight and they'd be easier to see.  She asked me to play some music while we stared up into the sky, particularly if I had any songs about the moon.  So I played, "Standing on the Moon" while we looked up into the night sky for meteors.  It was another beautiful moment brought to you by the Grateful Dead.  /csb

I've been home with a sick kid all day.  He started getting sick with a stomach bug last night and was up pretty much all night long. He's finally feeling better and is in bed now, so I'm going to celebrate with a cocktail and some Grateful Dead tonight.  I think I'll listen to the 3/21/90 Copps Coliseum from Hamilton, Ontario show.

Mississippi Half-Step
New Minglewood Blues
Far From Me
Queen Jane Approximately
Loose Lucy
Victim or the Crime
Standing on the Moon
Promised Land

Hey Pocky Way
Crazy Fingers
Cumberland Blues
Estimated Prophet
He's Gone
drums
I Need a Miracle
Wharf Rat
Throwin' Stones
Turn on Your Love Light

Knockin' on Heaven's Door

https://archive.org/details/gd90-03-21.sbd.heath.5307.sbeok.shnf

I know the Mississippi Half Step is from "Without a Net", but I've never listened to the whole show.  Should be a good evening. 

Edited by Hate

Very solid show. I enjoyed it. That’s probably my favorite Mississippi Half Step. Other highlights for me were Crazy Fingers, He’s Gone, and Wharf Rat. Now I’m on a Crazy Fingers worm hole. I always forget what a great fucking song that is until I hear it and then I have to listen to it all day long.