Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I've been an a He's Gone kick the last few days.  It's also one of my son's favorites.  I prefer the more upbeat tempo like 5/10/72 (Europe 72), but it seems like most versions are played more slowly.  I found some pretty good ones from 9/3/77 and 8/27/72.  Anyone else have a favorite?

There was a lot of talk about how Fox had played Saint of Circumstance going to a commercial during the Packer\Seahawks game Sunday night and I didn't even catch it.  As I consider myself a Deadhead, it became obvious to me that I was not really familiar with that song so I started doing some listening.  I have to admit, Lost Sailor is not one of my favorites, but it does pair nicely with Saint of Circumstance.  I found a terrific Crazy Fingers>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance from 10/10/82 from the Frost Amphitheater in Palo Alto.  That show is also famous for being the one where Bobby cries during LL Rain.  It's a great show all around.  I was searching for a great early 80's show and this is probably the best one that I've found.

https://archive.org/details/gd82-10-10.sbd.sacks.338.sbefail.shnf

Edited by Hate

I finally got around to listening to it tonight. I'm enjoying the hell out if it right now. I finally understand what everyone was talking about when they talked about the keyboards Brent played during this era.  The "piano" he's using isn't a great sound when it's compared to Keith's grand or even the keyboards Brent used in the late 80's.  It sounds a bit...off.  Nonetheless it's a great show from a much ignored era for me.  Althea is starting now and that song always requires my full attention!

I’ll have to check out that 81 show this week.

Traces of Texas shared the Archie Bell song Tighten Up yesterday.  It is worth a listen as it is thought to be where the Dead got inspiration for the Tighten Up jam- 1/2/70 Dark Star (DaP30) , Dancin at Harper College 70 (DiP8) and 10/31/71 Dark Star (DiP2).  The jam on that 10/31/71 Dark Star has always been a favorite of mine.

Obviously have no idea about the quality, but look at this setlist from Dead & Co. last night in 'Playing in the Sand' in Mexico:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dead-and-company/2020/moon-palace-the-grand-cancun-mexico-739b6695.html

Only weak link in two+ sets is "Days Between."  Sorry, but it was barely a good song when Jerry sang it...let alone now.  Reason it fell out of rotation 20 years ago. But anyway, not my point.  Look at these setlists from last night.  INcredible.  Can't wait to hear these.  

Looks like Burbridge is the only one with significant obligations after Jazzfest.  And it's only 6 dates.  Weir, Hart, Kruetzmann, Mayer, and Otiel are all doing solo/side gigs between now and thru JazzFest.  So a Dead & Co. summer and/or Autumn tour is certainly a distinct possibility.  Or we can dream can't we?  

I tuned in to a little bit of The Grateful Dead Hour on Sunday night, something I rarely do anymore. I caught this Bird Song from Oakland, 2/27/90. It's an interesting jam that covers some territory. It has a definite The Other One theme (which would get played in the second set). It's got a nice Phil jam with interplay from Bobby. It gets fairly aggressive for a Bird Song jam. It gets kind of spacey after that as Jerry takes back the lead and then the return to the chorus is playful and fun. It's pretty sweet. 

• Like 1

Great Bird Song!  Bird Song has always been one of my favorite jams for the "what were they playing" realization you'd have about halfway through it.  I've also always loved the way Bobby played on these late 80's and early 90's Bird Songs. 

@Druggistwhere you at tonight.  I'm listening to our show tonight.  For some reason, I didn't really appreciate the Rain encore at the time but I'm digging it tonight.  Maybe because it's raining here?  I might have to listen to the LL Rain from the night before, 3/16/94.

I'm jamming the 4/30/77 show from the Palladium tonight.  I've posted it before, but it's just an outstanding show.  Here is a link to the whole show on archive. 

https://archive.org/details/gd77-04-30.moore.minches.17952.sbeok.shnf

This may be my favorite Peggy-O, Music Never Stopped, and Promised Land. The Mississippi Half Step is stellar as is the LL Rain.  It's also available for download in the iTunes store if you're an old like me and like to actually own the music...kind of. 

And let me add that Phil really goes off this show.  I don't know if it's because the recording is so good or what, but Phil is heavily featured in this mix and is doing some really weird shit throughout.  It's awesome. It's not a Betty board mix, but the quality is outstanding.  The Scarlet>Fire is worth a listen. 

Edited by Hate

I'm jamming the Downhill from Here show tonight.  It's a great show.  The energy of these shows is fantastic.  Goddamn, that 89 summer tour was just fucking phenomenal.  I really wish I could have been there for each and every show.

Damn, I love good covers of Grateful Dead songs.  I always enjoyed the Deadictaed album as well.  Los Lobos on "Bertha", Dwight Yoakum on "Trucking" and Jane's Addiction on "Ripple" were my favorites.  The whole album is outstanding though.

Edit: How in the hell did I forget to mention the Lyle Lovett "Friend of the Devil?

Edited by Hate

I’ve been in a melancholy kind of mood tonight so I’ve been listening to Wharf Rat. I’ve listened to the top 15 or so on Headyversion.com and they are all great versions. I’m partial to 5/22/77 and 7/7/89. The one from 89 is my favorite as I’ve mentioned here before, but I’m not sure that any other Grateful Dead songs are so consistently great across the different eras. There are some songs where I prefer the early 70’s, some others 77, and still others 88-90. Wharf Rat is one that I can listen to from any era and just love it. Great ducking song!

And in a side note, did anyone notice the Going Down the Road Feeling Bad going ti commercial break in the Super Bowl last night? That may be my favorite thing about this last football season is all of the GD music going to commercials. I remember hearing Shakedown Street, Saint of Circumstance, Trucking, and now GDTRFB. I’m sure there are others I missed, but I will be paying much closer attention next year.

8 hours ago, Druggist said:

One of the April 78 Dave’s picks has a phenomenal Wharf Rat (maybe 4/22).  

Yup.  Dave's 15.  It even depicts the song on the cover

spacer.png

BTW, the new Dave's 33 (10.29.77) is outstanding.  Jerry is on fire throughout.  I always loved this show but the low end sound on the new release is a dramatic improvement over the Miller SBD.  Sounds amazing.  

50 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Yup.  Dave's 15.  It even depicts the song on the cover

spacer.png

BTW, the new Dave's 33 (10.29.77) is outstanding.  Jerry is on fire throughout.  I always loved this show but the low end sound on the new release is a dramatic improvement over the Miller SBD.  Sounds amazing.  

I just got mine last night and only made it through Ramble on Rose so far.  I have never been a big Might as Well guy, but that version smokes! Somehow this show never got on my radar so it is new to me.  So far it seems like one of those shows where every version is top notch.  The Loser is maybe my favorite I’ve heard and the El Paso has some really cool key work from Keith.  Can’t wait to finish it!

On 2/4/2020 at 12:20 AM, Druggist said:

One of the April 78 Dave’s picks has a phenomenal Wharf Rat (maybe 4/22).  I missed the GDTRFB but heard a Bertha right after the Niners scored early in he game.

Apparently it was Bertha that I heard, but I could have sworn it was GDTRFB.  I rewound it and listened but I guess I was a little drunk at that point to realize it was Bertha instead.  I had recorded the SB because my wife is a huge 49er fan, but she made me delete it after the game.  She was somewhat emotional.  Anyway, I finally got around to listening to the 10/29/77 show earlier tonight and it is just as outstanding as everyone has mentioned.  I love the Eyes and the Black Peter in the second set.  I've always preferred the "slower" Eyes and this one is terrific.  77 was such a magical year that it's really hard to find a show you don't like.  I know that the GD liked to say there were times when they had bad shows, but I have a really hard time finding a show that I don't at the very least enjoy hearing.  Most of those shows coincide with Jerry being so drugged up that he mumbles his way through the show even if he somehow managed to play fantastic guitar.  77 and 89 are just magical years as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by Hate

I’m sitting in the spa drinking and listening to the greatest rock and roll band that ever walked the Earth! It’s a beautiful night. At some point since the moon is full tonight, I’ll have to listen to the Standing on the Moon I heard 3/16/94 in Chicago.

d11c6646285f82b979079db113e09494.jpg

Curious what y'all think of the Dead & Co. summer tour announement?  17 shows (well, one at Jazz Fest in early May), but then 17 dates in 14 cities basically from early July to early August.  Doesn't look like they're gonna go past early-August, so no "back half of summer" part to the tour.  Obviously Texas ain't a part of it, nowhere even close except that one-off Jazz Fest show.  I'm gonna try like hell to incorporate a business trip to Wrigley Field to see them but have to admit, a bit of a letdown.  Lots of old school Dead sites like Noblesville, Cuyahoga Falls, Hershey, Saratoga Springs, et. al.  Some young Dead fans are gonna have fun criss-crossing the Midwest/Northeast that whole month.  But each one of these runs gets more and more likely to be the last.  Anyway, just wanted to post the tour and wax nostalgic.  30 years ago this summer was my first show.  Hope I can squeeze more in, Aaaiiieeeeeee!  

Edited by Lobo

With young kids, traveling for shows isn’t happening for me.  As a Cubs fan,  seeing them at Wrigley would be a dream.  Sure hope you can make it!

Right now listening to Garcia plays Dylan.  I have been getting into the late period Visions of Johanna.  The 95 version on the 30 trips disc is one of my favorites of the whole thing.  I also love the  Positively 4th Street by JGB. I have always loved the the put down line that closes the song:

“i wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes-you’d know what a drag it is to see you” 

I’ve always loved the Tom Thumb’s Blues too (been on a Dead plays Dylan kick lately).  The Throwin Stones>NFA Closer is great.  My second show (Soldier Field 94, second night) closed with that combo too.  The NFA chant leading up to the encore really made me feel the connection with the tens of thousands at the show.  Nothing like a dead show!

I've been sick all week and haven't been able to stay up and listen to the Grateful Dead. Well, that changes tonight.  I'll solicit some suggestions if anyone has any.  I'm not in any particular mood to hear anything specific.  I'm currently watching/listening to my favorite show, 7/4/89 and I might listen to my Buffalo show, 6/13/93, later tonight since it's Vince's birthday today.

I'm on a bit of a Jerry kick tonight.  I was listening to Ruben and Cherise from the JGB earlier, but I always seem to find my way to Crazy Fingers when I'm really in a Jerry mood.  Here's a great one from 8/18/89 at the Greek Theather.

Love crazy fingers.  I’ll have to check out that Orpheum version.  The Dave’s pick from a few nights later is one of my favorites.  Phenomenal Comes a Time that goes into a nice jam sequence.  I was listening to 6/14/76 last week and both the High Time and Crazy Fingers are among the beat I’ve heard.

I listened to that 6/14/76 show last night and it's a great show with one kind of disappointing caveat.  I got pretty excited when I looked over the set list and saw Cosmic Charlie, but I was pretty disappointed when I actually heard it.  It's like they weren't convinced they actually wanted to play it or were going to play it.  It was very disjointed and off tune which was weird since the rest of the show was terrific.  I love the banter between High Time and Music Never Stopped.  At any rate, 76 is a vastly under explored year for me.  I think this show is going to make me check out the rest of the year. 

Well, I ended up doing a u-turn and instead of checking out 76 today I ended up on a 90 kick.  I started out checking out the 7/16/90 Buffalo show and it was pretty damn good.  It's actually agreat show with a terrific set list.

https://archive.org/details/gd90-07-16.sbd.knapp.1316.sbeok.shnf/gd90-07-16d3t08.shn

Hell In A Bucket, Mississippi Half Step, Blow Away, Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues, Loose Lucy, It's All Over Now, High Time, Let It Grow, Don't Ease Me In Sugar Magnolia-> Scarlet Begonias-> Women Are Smarter, Ship of Fools-> Truckin'-> Jam-> Drums-> Jam-> The Wheel-> Gimme Some Lovin'-> Wharf Rat-> Around & Around-> Sunshine Daydream, E: Brokedown Palace 

Then it kind of dawned on my that I hadn't really listened to a lot of the 90 spring tour outside of Nassau Coliseum and what songs appear on Without A Net.  So tonight I've been chekcing on 3/14/90 from the Cap Center.  It starts off with a weird Cold Rain & Snow because there seemed to be something wrong with Brent's organ (no homo).  There was this weird echo in what would have been a great start.  They get hat fixed and it's a terrific show from then on.  It includes the first loose Lucy in 15 years, I believe.  That's not a song that I've ever been a huge fan of, but it's a little different than the way they played in the 70's and Brent's organ makes all of the difference.  The PITB>UJB>Playing reprise in the second set is outstanding as is the Black Peter. 

I think I'll mix it up and go back to 76 tomorrow, but I'm enjoying the hell out of 1990 right now. 

https://archive.org/details/gd90-03-14.sbd.ladner.8466.sbeok.shnf

Wharf Rat...any era...any venue.  Is there a better song that has ever been written?  The music is outstanding and the words sublime.  With Keith playing the grand piano or Brent the organ, it never fails to get me going.  Slow or fast it just doesn't matter.  It's a brilliant song.