Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Wish I heard it.  I’d check heady version for something highly rated From whatever era it sounds like.  Worst case you find another great version.

i threw on 9/27/72 today. DiP 11.  Don’t know why I haven’t listened to this in a while.  The whole show is fire.  Opens with a huge Morning Dew.  Other highlights include top 3 versions (my ranking) of Bird song, Big River, and  Cumberland (out of an amazing Dark Star).  I really celebrate the whole show.  Black-throated wind, Friend of the Devil, Attics of My life, Playin, Jed, Ramble on Rose, ..............  Hard to decide if I prefer this show or the spectrum show from the 21st.  Both are so good.  I prefer both to any show from the earlier Europe tour.

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

Wish I heard it.  I’d check heady version for something highly rated From whatever era it sounds like.  Worst case you find another great version.

i threw on 9/27/72 today. DiP 11.  Don’t know why I haven’t listened to this in a while.  The whole show is fire.  Opens with a huge Morning Dew.  Other highlights include top 3 versions (my ranking) of Bird song, Big River, and  Cumberland (out of an amazing Dark Star).  I really celebrate the whole show.  Black-throated wind, Friend of the Devil, Attics of My life, Playin, Jed, Ramble on Rose, ..............  Hard to decide if I prefer this show or the spectrum show from the 21st.  Both are so good.  I prefer both to any show from the earlier Europe tour.

This is an interesting statement.  I'll have to check them out. 

It might just be nostalgia because they were shows I fell in love with 20-25 years ago.  The Bird Song and Cumberland on both shows are as good as the Dead get for me.  The sound of the recordings is exactly how I prefer them.   for me, 1 drummer Dead is the best.  The last 6:30 of the Dark Star into the Cumberland on 9/27 is phenomenal.

Right now I am just getting into the big hour plus jam from 11/14/73 (Truckin>Other One>Big River>O1>Eyes>O1>Wharf Rat.  First time listening to it and it is delivering.

I check out that 9/27/72 you mentioned and it was indeed phenomenal.  The Bird Song and Dark Star are what really stood out to me.  I love the early 70's Bird Songs and that one did not disappoint.  The Shakedown Stream for tomorrow night was announced recently. It's 7/10/90 from Carter Finley Stadium in Raleigh, North Carolina.  The pre-stream features John Mayer so it may be worth a listen, especially for any Dead & Company fans. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Who knew that the Grateful Dead would create the best disco song of all time? Nothing’s Shaking!

I have a hard time choosing between Shakedown and the disco Dancing in the Streets for their best disco tune.  Why not both?

Listening to The Fall 79 Road Trips on Spotify for great versions of both Shakedown and Dancin (Brent is awesome on the segue into Franklin’s, and on the Shakedown-this version is #2 on Heady Version).  Really like the Playin,  Not Fade Away, and Wharf Rat too.  

The new Dave’s Pick looks like a good one:

Feel Like A Stranger, Cold Rain & Snow, Beat It On Down The Line, Cumberland Blues, Little Red Rooster, Brown Eyed Women, My Brother Esau, It Must Have Been The Roses, Let It Grow Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain-> Samson & Delilah-> Drums-> I Need A Miracle-> Morning Dew-> Around & Around-> Johnny B. Goode, E: Day Job

I mostly listen to official releases and 84 is a year I am pretty sure I do not own.  The set list is right up my alley and the reviews on archive make it sound like a good one.  I will have a tough time not checking it out before it arrives

19C85181-197C-4D0E-86A9-BEA50AB062FC.jpeg

I am working on my final project for the Masters class I am taking and listening to a bunch of Dead.  Last night DeKalb 77 and today Jai Alai Fronton 74.  Both are as good a show as you will find either year. 

I was talking earlier about what a big fan I am of the latter half of 72.  At the end of the post is a write up I found on the interweb from Dick Latvala.  I don't know if I share his taste or am influenced by it, but I always love his recommendations.  I will have to check out the other two Stanley Theater shows and 10/18/72 next.  I love the 11/17/72 Wichita show he raves about.  It has great versions of Bird Song and Cumberland (2 of my favorite of theirs) as well as possibly my favorite Other One.  Spectacular show.  Of the 34 Dave's picks so far,  it is one of my top 3 favorites along with 11/30/80 Fox Theater, and 11/17/73 Pauley Pavillion.  The 74 Jai Alai show could be in my top 5, but I need a few more listens.  I am so glad I stuck with the subscriptions over the years. 

http://www.agitators.com/gd/dick_1972.html

Happy listening!

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

So we’re all getting matching Grateful Dead Nikes, right?   

some of them actually look wearable.  But the price is a bit insane.  

I would totally wear those, but lack the motivation to try to get some.  I think I’d get yellow given a choice.

Gonna check out 7/15/89 tonight.  I have listened to the alpine valley shows a lot but not Deer Creek.  I heard a bit on XM on my way home and it sounded pretty good. I got to see Phish there in 99, but not the Dead.  It was a fun scene.

I am listening to the Dark Star from 3/28/73 (DaP16) while sipping some bourbon. I am working on my final exam project and trying to chill out after a big parenting fail earlier.  I feel terrible and nothing like the Dead to help out in such times

It is a nice 30 min version. The second set ends with Weather Report Prelude>Dark Star>Eyes>Playin.  Pretty epic, one of a kind sequence.  The first set has a really good early Here Comes Sunshine, too.

Tomorrow I will probably revisit 7/17/76 (DaP18).  I didn’t list it in my top 3 of the series, but only because I forgot.  I guess it is top 4. My favorite show of that year.  The sequence starting with Comes a Time is as good as it gets.

Cheers!

• Like 1

The One More Saturday Night from tonight was 6/18/19 from Saratoga, New York.  It's one of the best Dead & Co shows I can remember.  The Alabama Getaway may be the highlight of the show along with the Cumberland Blues. 

I watched it earlier.  Now I'm drinking whiskey and hit shuffle on my iPhone for the Grateful Dead.  I'll be anywhere and everywhere with all the stuff I've downloaded or migrated over the years.  I have a little bit of everything except the early 80's.  Y'all have posted some good shows from those years but I haven't found one that I really wanted to hear all of the time.

About the 30th anniversary of the first Grateful Dead show I was supposed to attend.  Tinley Park, IL in late July of 1990.  Mom vetoed the idea at the last minute to let me attend with my older sister and some her friends.  I was only 14 at the time, probably for the best.  

Here's the setlist from that show (technically it was 30 years ago, two days ago):

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/setlists/dead-sets/90/7-23-90.txt (second set looks awesome with two tracks that were at the time relative new "Standing on the Moon" and "Foolish Heart", both of which have aged beautifully.  Great covers in "Good Loving" "All Along the Watchtower" and "The Weight" plus of course...Terrapin Station)  

I don't know that I've ever heard that show online.  I know I listened to it on tape from the resident Dead Head from my high school who I'd have on my radio show periodically;  If anybody knows a clean audio version online for free, I'd love to hear it.  But the show was also sadly important for another reason...it was Brent Mydland's last show with the band.  He died 26 July, 1990.  30 years already, damn.  And we're coming up real quick on 25 years for Jerry's passing.  And just on Thursday, it was 40 years ago that Keith Godchaux died.  

Also, I want this shirt:

https://store.dead.net/apparel/men/bolt-flag-tour-t-shirt-5.html

I don't know why, but just the name Tinley Park seems to suggest something really bad happened or at least something dramatic.  Like a mass murder occurred or huge tornado once hit town.  There has always been something ghostly about Tinsley Park.  It's a damn shame that Brent and Jerry couldn't kick their demons.  Brent was so ingrained in the GD by then that he was really pushing them the last couple of years. He brought a great energy to the band during that time.  They were writing a lot at the time and their 89-90 tours are as good as anything they did in the 60's and 70's. It's just a damn shame.  It would have been great to see what they could have done had those two been able to stay clean.  RIP Brent, imo, my favorite keyboardist for the greatest band in history. 

Hey, I gave you those songs! 

So their satellite radio channel is doing a cool tribute for the 25th anniversary of Jerry's passing (tomorrow would be his 78th birthday, BTW).  9 days of live Jerry shows (every incarnation from TJGB, jams with Dave Grisman, Robert Hunter, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Legion of Mary, Bob Dylan, and the Merl Saunders collaboration (which I'm embarrassed to say I only got into less than ten years ago but the songs are fantastic).  I'm sure they'll probably pepper in some songs that Jerry Garcia wrote for a band called the Grateful Dead in which he played a small role.  Onward...

I'm listening to 3/29/90 from Nassau Coliseum tonight.  The Eyes of the Word is of course legendary, but the whole show is outstanding.  The Jack Straw may be my favorite of all time, /the Bird Song is stellar as is the Estimated Prophet and Promised Land.  The Eyes of the World is the best of all time (imo it beats out 5/17/74 by a hair for me) and the Dark Star>Drums/Space>Dark Star with Branford is out of this world.  Just a great show.  @elguapo, if you like 88-90 Grateful Dead, this show is for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Hate said:

I'm listening to 3/29/90 from Nassau Coliseum tonight.  The Eyes of the Word is of course legendary, but the whole show is outstanding.  The Jack Straw may be my favorite of all time, /the Bird Song is stellar as is the Estimated Prophet and Promised Land.  The Eyes of the World is the best of all time (imo it beats out 5/17/74 by a hair for me) and the Dark Star>Drums/Space>Dark Star with Branford is out of this world.  Just a great show.  @elguapo, if you like 88-90 Grateful Dead, this show is for you.

Thanks! This show is on spotify but I haven't listened all the way through, will try to change that today. I've listened through the first set and it's fantastic.

The last Shakedown Stream for a while was tonight.  It was 7/21/90 from Tinley Park, Illinois.  It was the 3rd to last show Brent would play before he died. They are going to take a break from the streams and do them a little more sparingly over the next few months.  Anyway, I'm through Scarlet>Fire right now about to head to Drums>Space and so far it's been a solid if not spectacular show.  It's worth a listen, but it wouldn't rank as one of my favorites up to this point. 

Those Tinley Park shows were supposed to be the first ones I ever went to.  But mom put the kaibash (sp?) on me going after all. My sister and her friends were gonna take me as it was only a 25 minute ride from our house.  But probably wisely so, my mom realized me and a bunch of college aged kids was not a good mix.  Still, for all their incarnations that I watched live---would have really liked to have seen a Mydland show.  I'd have to wait a little bit longer for Soldier Field (not that I was any wiser by that point...just more curious about drugs, beer, and great music).  

No offense to the 7/21/90 posting, but that 7/22/90 setlist looks filthy.  I'm sure I've commented on it before, but I'm old...I get flashbacks.  But anybody have a good link to that show...I should hopefully have a few hours between now and the start of the "school year" 

Is anyone else enjoying the Good Ol’ Grateful Deadcast?  I am through the Dire Wolf episode (they are doing an episode for each song on Workingman’s Dead).  It is fun to hear a lot of new info about them.

At the end of that episode, they cut together a chronological live mash-up version from the first time played in 69 to the last in 95.  It is great to hear their sound evolve through one song.  Also, early on, Jerry played pedal-steel and Bob sang lead.  Weird to hear.

That is a great Playing in the Band and it sounds even better on vinyl!  The show from the night before is great too.  One of my favorite Other Ones, Cumberland, Bird Song, He’s Gone>Trucking.  That must have been a long night/day making it from a show in Wichita,  Kansas down to Houston by the next evening.

8C236CE8-0D6B-48AB-958D-0A0D0B26E6E4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Last night, I sat in my garage trying to get my Kegerator functional again while drinking some bourbon (1792 BiB) and listening to to the new Daves Pick (4/20/84).  It is a very solid show from a year I have not explored.  It made for a pretty good evening.

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

That is a great Playing in the Band and it sounds even better on vinyl!  The show from the night before is great too.  One of my favorite Other Ones, Cumberland, Bird Song, He’s Gone>Trucking.  That must have been a long night/day making it from a show in Wichita,  Kansas down to Houston by the next evening.

8C236CE8-0D6B-48AB-958D-0A0D0B26E6E4.jpeg

That Playing is evil.  One of the few times Phil is too prominent in the mix though.

11 minutes ago, alincoln said:

That Playing is evil.  One of the few times Phil is too prominent in the mix though.

I didn’t know that could be a thing.  I love when Phil is prominent on a recording.  One of the reasons I prefer the 8/6/71 SBD to the AUD everyone raves about is how fat Phil is in the mix. For me, he is like Lebowski’s rug-he just ties everything together.  

On a podcast Bob said that when Phil plays on acid, he can hallucinate the equivalent of the sheet music of what everyone is playing.  Wild!

So I'm listening to our March 17, 1994 Rosemont Horizon show tonight (the one with the picture you're supposed to look for) and Wang Dang Doodle was a underrated song.  It's nothing Earth shattering, but it's a fun song that they played well even in the Vince era.  

I've been on an Alabama Getaway kick for a few days.  I'm currently listening to the 12/26/79 from Oakland Auditorium show.  I haven't really listened a whole lot to the early Brent years, but this is a pretty solid show. 

On 8/20/2020 at 9:58 PM, Hate said:

I've been on an Alabama Getaway kick for a few days.  I'm currently listening to the 12/26/79 from Oakland Auditorium show.  I haven't really listened a whole lot to the early Brent years, but this is a pretty solid show. 

As a freshman in Jester In December 94, I taped Uncle John’s through He’s Gone from this show off of the Grateful Dead Hour radio show.  It was one of my first tapes.  Such a great sequence.  I remember being really excited when Dick’s Picks 5 came out so I could hear the rest of the set.

I am looking forward to a long evening’s work in the studio, and thought a Hot Tuna show would fit my mood. YouTube has its benefits.

I don’t frequent the music board, as I waste enough time reading Surly, and wondered about Hot Tuna talk on Surly.

I must not know how to use the search function correctly, which is the point of my post. I knew the Dead thread would be kind enough to tell me, yes or no: should a general search for “Kaukonen“ yield 0 replies?

I leapt on the train in Houston, ‘85, vibrating along with two gels newly minted and dispensed by a traveler whose fingers had not full formed. When Jackstraw opened, I couldn’t get up from the lawn. By Row Jimmy, I had found MY dance. A top ten moment in my life. I caught as many shows as I could in TX, OK, MO, IA, IL and WI, from that point forward. 

God bless the USA, the Grateful Dead, and Texas!

• Hook 'Em 1