Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I may have found my favorite Shakedown Street.  12/28/78 from the Golden Hall in San Diego, California. 

https://archive.org/details/gd78-12-28.aud-schug.warner.19506.sbeok.shnf

I'll have to look at a few more to be sure, but I've always preferred the fast versions to the slower versions they played with Brent. I also like Donna's voice on it.  The show from Egypt had a great one, but the recording I heard didn't have any of Bobby or Donna's backup singing on it.  It sounded just about perfect musically though. 

On 8/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hate said:

I may have found my favorite Shakedown Street.  12/28/78 from the Golden Hall in San Diego, California. 

https://archive.org/details/gd78-12-28.aud-schug.warner.19506.sbeok.shnf

I'll have to look at a few more to be sure, but I've always preferred the fast versions to the slower versions they played with Brent. I also like Donna's voice on it.  The show from Egypt had a great one, but the recording I heard didn't have any of Bobby or Donna's backup singing on it.  It sounded just about perfect musically though. 

I’ll have to check that one out.  I’m a big Shakedown fan.  My two current favorites are the one on the Fall 79 Road Trips and the one from the So Many Roads set (12/31/83?).

I had no idea, but tonight they are hosting a Shakedown Stream on youtube.  It's the  8/27/72 show from Veneta, Oregon.  It's the legendary naked guy dancing on the pole show.  This is one of my favorite Bird Songs and the CC>Rider is right up there as well.  I know what I am doing tonight!

Those shows are both fantastic.  I first heard LL Rain on Without a Net and for a long time that's how I felt it should sound.  But then I heard some of the versions with Donna singing and it's just fantastic.  It's probably my favorite song and the one I've heard the most.  It's such a different song after Brent joined.  I heard it at 2 of my three shows and both time Bobby played acoustic (my 6/13/93 show was the first time Bobby had ever played acoustic for LL Rain).  I also heard Rat Dog play it in the old Austin Music Hall right after a huge thunderstorm.  One of my favorite things to do is sit on the porch on a rainy night, drink some bourbon and smoke some KB while listening to LL Rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm listening to 9/24/88 tonight from Madison Square Garden.  Nick Taylor from the Rolling Stones sits in on West LA Fadeaway. Damn fine show.  It is amazing how much better Jerry looked just a year later though.

Edit: I hadn't seen the second set yet but they open with it with Suzanne Vega singing Chinese Bones.  I've never heard it before, but it's kind of cool.

Another Edit:  Holy shit...Hall and Oates come out and jam with them as well. 

Edited by Hate

On 8/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, Hate said:

Those shows are both fantastic.  I first heard LL Rain on Without a Net and for a long time that's how I felt it should sound.  But then I heard some of the versions with Donna singing and it's just fantastic.  It's probably my favorite song and the one I've heard the most.  It's such a different song after Brent joined.  I heard it at 2 of my three shows and both time Bobby played acoustic (my 6/13/93 show was the first time Bobby had ever played acoustic for LL Rain).  I also heard Rat Dog play it in the old Austin Music Hall right after a huge thunderstorm.  One of my favorite things to do is sit on the porch on a rainy night, drink some bourbon and smoke some KB while listening to LL Rain. 

The 9/3/77 Looks Like Rain is my favorite so far, it is fantastic

That’s why you turn to the internet. Non stop shows you want to hear when you want to hear them. I’m currently on my favorite 7/4/89 show to wrap up the work week. I have no early morning meetings, so I should be ok for my late morning meetings.

That's fair, I suppose...

Sorry POD, that was a little aggressive. I was maybe a tad drunk last night.

And I know Facebook sucks, but one good thing about it is the Grateful Dead group I belong to. Their Dead of the Day will link to a show they played on each day so you can find some great shows to listen to. Here is one from the other day.

c119dbd05476d780599aca1ac8bb22ea.plist

• Hook 'Em 1

Ha! No worries - I kind of get set in my ways when it comes to technology. And after a little bit of consideration, I think that I find YouTube concerts too visual to have on in the background. 

I can't remember whether I learned of it here or somewhere else, but when streaming to my phone, I really like using the app called Taper's Section, which has a bunch of different jam bands (and anyone else that encourages audiences taping their shows), and it has a way to sort by "on this date" as well as a random selection, which I think you can even narrow down into a specific year. You can also download shows to your phone for offline listening. 

Much more user-friendly and intuitive than The Deadhead Archives. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Ha! No worries - I kind of get set in my ways when it comes to technology. And after a little bit of consideration, I think that I find YouTube concerts too visual to have on in the background.

I really enjoy seeing them play, especially later on in the Brent years.  It's awesome when either Brent spurs Jerry or vice versa.  There are times when Brent surprises Jerry with a particularly loud and timely pulse of the organ (no homo)...like in this in Loser at he 1:35 mark.  That smile Jerry gets is awesome.

And then there's this Not Fade away where Jerry and Brent trade off for a while.  It's just pure fucking magic @ 2:24.

Those are some of the great things that you see when watching the shows that are available.  But I realize its hard to get things done while watching as opposed to just listening .

"We're gonna take a break from all this sweat & steam & uproar & tumult and we're gonna break out our acoustic guitars and regale you with some wooden music." 
- Bob Weir, 4/9/70 

That sounds good to me. I need a fresh mindset.

https://archive.org/details/gd66-12-01.sbd.ladner.8575.sbeok.shnf

The show includes Lindy, Big Boy Pete, and Look on Yonder’s Wall,. Also Viola Lee Blues snd Cream Puff War. 

• Like 1

I've been exploring Broke Down Palace. Never really liked it until watching Long Strange Trip. Like a lot of Dead Songs I just needed to be in the right time to connect with it.

Any favorite versions ?

Love that song. One of my favs is from ‘81, NYC, March I think? I’ll listen to it 3-4 times in a row
  • Like 1

I'd be surprised if this one wasn't posted upthread, but I guess I missed it.

Lots of energy.  New year's eve.  Dawn of the 80s.  Wonder what the culprit is.  /sniff.

Damn good show so far.  End of Franklin is on fire. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, Hate said:

I'm listening to 9/24/88 tonight from Madison Square Garden.  Nick Taylor from the Rolling Stones sits in on West LA Fadeaway. Damn fine show.  It is amazing how much better Jerry looked just a year later though.

Edit: I hadn't seen the second set yet but they open with it with Suzanne Vega singing Chinese Bones.  I've never heard it before, but it's kind of cool.

Another Edit:  Holy shit...Hall and Oates come out and jam with them as well. 

I'm gonna be pissed if I become a convert after all these years but both of those videos are awesome....

I'm gonna be pissed if I become a convert after all these years but both of those videos are awesome....

Sooo you don’t like the dead? But you’re in the Grateful Dead thread? I think you may already be a convert...

I suggest you start with their ‘65 shows and listen to everything through ‘95, then report back here
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Sooo you don’t like the dead? But you’re in the Grateful Dead thread? I think you may already be a convert...

I suggest you start with their ‘65 shows and listen to everything through ‘95, then report back here

This reminds me of my reaction to the time travel thread. Started wondering which show I would pop into.

As I’ve previously stated, I am halfway convinced I saw such arrivals in New Orleans. The Neville brothers played with the band during the second set. 

Thinking about the order of, and which shows I’d attend with my time travel allotment, made me think of this story, told by the fat man.

I don’t think it’s been posted.

Asked if he had a favorite among deadheads, Jerry says: “Yes. This guy used to stand up front, and he would conduct the show. He was at every West Coast show, and it was nice, because if you lost your place, you could look at him, and be back on time. You could count on him. And then, he was gone. I didn’t see him again until I was at some party, and I went up to him and asked where he’d been. He said, “Well I used to stand up front and conduct the band, now I stand in back and conduct the room””

is a good feeling.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hate said:

Goddamn...those 73-74 Bird Songs are just so good. 

Make that 72-73 and we agree.  I think they quit playing it until the acoustic sets in 80 after 73.  Too bad, because 74-79 Dead would have tore up that song. Same goes for Here Comes Sunshine which got a longer break from their repertoire.

I know I have posted these before, but anyone interested should check out 6/22/73, any versions from Aug or Sept 72 (esp. 8/27 and 9/21&27), and 11/17/72 for nice some versions.  It is easily a top 5 song of theirs for me!

Well I ended up just listening to the rest of this show.  The transition from Space to The Other One is just out fucking standing.  The Phil bombs alone make this worthy of a listen. And then the transition to Wharf Rat is phucking phenomenal.

Edited by Hate

I really love the Space>Other One>Wharf Rat from the late 80's and early 90's.  It's a perfect combination of songs for me.  Much like Help>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower combination and the Scarlet>Fire combos are.  I'm currently listening to 3/28/90.