Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I'm liking the show musically, but damn Jerry sounds horrible.  This may be the worst I've ever heard him sound.  The sound is fantastic and the Dupree Diamond Blues is always nice. 

A standout run of shows. First show ends with a classic second set,  

That Garcia was off, vocally, was lost to my memory. Don’t let that stop you from giving those Philly shows A listen.

A standout run of shows. First show ends with a classic second set,  

That Garcia was off, vocally, was lost to my memory. Don’t let that stop you from giving those Philly shows A listen.

My man, it’s not a criticism...just an observation. I listened to the show and enjoyed it. That’s probably my least listened to time frame just because Jerry was always so fucked up and Brent had weird sound on his keyboards. 89 is my favorite. I’m finishing off the night with my all time favorite show 7/4/89. The Morning Dew our of Watchtower???? Damn.

I’m all over the map tonight. Sometimes I’ll just pull up GD songs on my phone and hit shuffle. It’s almost like being at a show because you never know what you are going to hear. Right now it’s a Crazy Fingers from 6/18/76.  And then:

7/7/89 Loser

4/30/77 Music Never Stopped

5/7/77 Brown Eyed Women

5/19/74 I Know You Rider

10/31/80 On the Road Again

3/15/90 Walkin' Blues

Edited by Hate

I don’t know. I could easily see John, Oteil, and Jeff continuing the music in some form or fashion. I think that’s why Bobby, Mickey, and Bill chose John. He’s someone that can carry the music on for a long time to come and I think he will. Maybe the next incarnation will play the songs faster.

It’s my own theory. I’ve not read it anywhere, but if they just wanted someone to plug and play into the music they could have asked someone like Warren Haynes. The hardest one of the remaining members to replace will be Bobby. I just don’t know where you find someone that plays rhythm guitar similarly to him. While John doesn’t “replace” Jerry by any stretch, he’s a great player and can hold his own playing the songs. All great guitarist can solo, albeit I’ve obviously always been partial to Jerry. But Bobby is so unique that I can’t think of anyone else I’ve ever heard play the way he does. Hopefully they have someone in mind, because I would go to a show with John, Jeff, and Oteil playing GD songs.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Grateful Dead and their 55 years are unique in some respects because their massive catalogue and even larger vault of live shows (containing myriad versions, keys, and covers) insisted upon a massive rotation of musicians.  You have the Icon-Jerry Garcia.  But he was "only" there for 30 years.  The "core four" (Weir, Hart, Lesh, and Kruetzmann)...they all remain but Hart and Lesh have rotated in an out on more than one occasion.  You have former members who are still living like Donna and Constanten.  Then you have "resident" members like Hornsby and Marsalis.  And then you really get into the extended universe, that is actually an incredibly tight spiral...Warren Haynes, the collaborators from The Other Ones, Furthur, the Dead, and then Dead & Co.  Plus the deceased members from McKernan to Robert Hunter and all the musicians they collaborated with and touched. And the guys like Dave Grisman and the guys from Ratdog and Planet Drum and the Rhythm Devils and Barlow and the Jerry Garcia Band proper.  The music and its millions of incarnations roam free around the world each and every day.  Lots of bands have had rotating personnel, but it was out of commercial design.  The Grateful Dead are unique in that theirs was purely organic, driven only by tragedy and desire to find harmonious sound, not directed by outside management.  

It's like the opposite of that movie "Yesterday."  The beauty of the Beatles was their sound was so singular and defined just by them.  Just their world for one solitary decade that changed the course of music, and then human history, forever.  But it was controlled and charted by just them.  Jack Malick is able to push out their music into our alternate universe because he can capture their unique sound by himself.  The music of the Grateful Dead lives on and permeates so elegantly and freely, because it was always in the hands of so many collaborators and so many versions were pushed forth into the galaxy because the music was originally composed and arranged to do just that.  "Standing on the Moon" is so beautiful because after 100 versions on 100 moons, I am close to the original and as far from the original all at the same time. 

All music lives on nowadays because of digital recordings and covers, but the Dead's body of work is solitarily unique in that almost everything you hear is just one degree of separation from the original, but yet has its own life and breath and spirit.  25 years from now, that will have been diluted, but they'll have had a helluva run.  A handful of musicians will have scattered a wonderful sound to where the four winds dwell.  

^

great version of one of my Top 5 songs.

csbalert/ Just picked my truck at the shop.  I specifically remember listening to a Greg Giraldo bit on comedy channel when I dropped it off the other day.  but I started the car today and it had been switched to the Grateful Dead channel, and 'Estimated Prophet' was jamming, which is also one of my Top 5 songs.  Thought that was kinda cool.  

Where are all the Deadheads??  That show was indeed pretty good. 77 was such a great year, but this show was not late April-May level.  Starting in April and all the way through May could be the peak for the Grateful Dead.  Personally, my favorite is summer of 89, but that was only July.  77 had all of April, May, and into June that were just fucking great.  There isn't a bad show through that run. 

The only reason I tend to like the later years is simply because of their catalog.  There are so many great songs after the late 60' and early 70's that get missed if you don't listen. But to your point, yes they had a bunch of different peaks over their 30 years. 

42 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Listening to 12/10/73 while studying.  I submit 72, 73, and 74 as candidates for peak Dead with  with consideration for spring 69, winter and spring 70, and summer 71 too.  So much good stuff to choose from, cheers!

Without argument, I think of who is playing keyboard, and for how long. Each had a distinctive voice in the conversation. As much as I revel in the grandeur, there is a joy in the search.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

The only reason I tend to like the later years is simply because of their catalog.  There are so many great songs after the late 60' and early 70's that get missed if you don't listen. But to your point, yes they had a bunch of different peaks over their 30 years. 

I agree about the catalogue.  I have really been getting into some of Jerry’s late era songs.  So Many Roads, Built to Last, Black Muddy River, Liberty, Standing on the Moon, Foolish Heart, and When Push Comes to Shove and others all stand up with the best of their songs.

I lean to 72-74 as my peak because I love the 20 minute jams and general weirdness they can get into without the structure of 2 drummers.  My peak for each song really depends on the song-I’ll take a Summer 89 Deal over earlier versions but Cumberland and Bird Song were way better in 72.

• Hook 'Em 2

Goddam the They Love Each Other, Looks Like Rain, Box of Rain sequence is so damn good.  It might be my favorite Box of Rain (besides 3/17/94 of course).

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but the Good Ol’  Grateful Dead cast is so good.  They made it all the way through Workingman’s Dead and are a couple songs into American Beauty.  Lots of stories I hadn’t heard before.  It is really well done and worth a listen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Few things in this world are better than a surprise rain storm after several bourbons and probably too many one hits from the dugout.  I took the opportunity to sit on the porch and watch it storm while listening to one of my favorites.

I can't be the only one up listening to the greatest Band that ever was!  I always enjoy listening to shows from Texas for some reason.  I never got to see Jerry here, but I've seen Ratdog, The Other Ones and Dead & Company here.  Some of my favorite shows are from my home state. 

I really like the Manor Downs show from 82.  Really nice Bird Song and Scarlet>Fire (esp the Fire).

i am getting excited about the new Dave’s pick coming in the next week or two: 3/26&27/87.  I checked out the Bird Song and it is great.  Also, it is the second matrix release (11/30/80 was the first-one of my favorites) and the sample on the site sounds great.

I also bought a new subscription for next year to keep my complete set going.  It is great getting new remastered shows 4 times a year for minimal effort.  i stream from archive a lot, but just prefer the quality bump of the official releases.

and @Hate I saw a 7/4/89 T-shirt in the Dead.net store.  I know you are a fan. 

• Like 1

I really like the Manor Downs show from 82.  Really nice Bird Song and Scarlet>Fire (esp the Fire).

i am getting excited about the new Dave’s pick coming in the next week or two: 3/26&27/87.  I checked out the Bird Song and it is great.  Also, it is the second matrix release (11/30/80 was the first-one of my favorites) and the sample on the site sounds great.

I also bought a new subscription for next year to keep my complete set going.  It is great getting new remastered shows 4 times a year for minimal effort.  i stream from archive a lot, but just prefer the quality bump of the official releases.

and [mention=22]Hate[/mention] I saw a 7/4/89 T-shirt in the Dead.net store.  I know you are a fan. 

That is my jam! I’ll have to check it out.

Where did you see it? I did a quick search and didn’t see anything.

https://store.dead.net/apparel/july-4th-1989-t-shirt-6.html
I didn’t look before, but they only have L and 2XL so I hope you are either petite or fat. 
i ordered the aoxomoxoa shirt.  They were out of my size for a while and got more in.  

44 minutes ago, Hate said:

That is my jam! I’ll have to check it out.

Where did you see it? I did a quick search and didn’t see anything.

19 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ll either have to get thinner or fatter. I work from home so I’m sure fatter is more likely, but I’ll never wear a 2x.

Same, I am a perfect XL, but probably should be L given my height.  I have been pedaling like a MF on our Peloton trying to lose weight.  One of the instructors has been doing jam band rides every so often so I don't have to ride to shitty music all the time.  Scarlet Begonias is probably the most used dead song on there.  He put Throwing Stones on a ride and it was awesome.  

Right now I am listening to Dave's 34, 6/23/74 at the Jai Alai Fronton while sitting on the back porch while learning Python.  Our new dog is eating sticks. 

Such a great show.  The slow songs are phenomenal (To Lay Me Down, Ship of Fools, WRS pt 1, ...).  The Dark Star>Spanish Jam and Cumberland Blues are great too.  The whole show is as good as 74 gets.  

Not sure why, but if forced to pick my favorite Dead tune, I think it is Cumberland.  Such a great song that only they could have done.  Slams and goes hard AF.  On another day it would probably be Bird Song with the Other One and Dark Star as honorable mentions.

My favorite song would probably be Looks Like Rain or Eyes of the World.  I say that, but then I could list about another 70 or 80 songs that I love.  Bird Song,  Wharf Rat, Bertha, Cold Rain & Snow, Deal, Loser, Cassidy, Music Never Stopped, Shakedown Street, He's Gone, Ramble on Rose, They Love Each Other, Minglewood Blues, China Cat>Rider, etc.... I could go on and on and I haven't even touched Sugar Magnolia and other "Skeletons" type songs or covers that they do better than anyone. 

Hell...I forgot Althea, Mississippi Half Step, Estimated Prophet, Terrapin Station, Scarlet>Fire....damn. 

Also Peggy-O, Row Jimmy, St Stephen, The Other One...it may be easier to list songs I don't really like.

Brokedown Palace, Jack Straw, Black Peter, Franklin's Tower...how could I forget all of these?

Edited by Hate

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

My favorite song would probably be Looks Like Rain or Eyes of the World.  I say that, but then I could list about another 70 or 80 songs that I love.  Bird Song,  Wharf Rat, Bertha, Cold Rain & Snow, Deal, Loser, Cassidy, Music Never Stopped, Shakedown Street, He's Gone, Ramble on Rose, They Love Each Other, Minglewood Blues, China Cat>Rider, etc.... I could go on and on and I haven't even touched Sugar Magnolia and other "Skeletons" type songs or covers that they do better than anyone. 

Hell...I forgot Althea, Mississippi Half Step, Estimated Prophet, Terrapin Station, Scarlet>Fire....damn. 

Also Peggy-O, Row Jimmy, St Stephen, The Other One...it may be easier to list songs I don't really like.

Brokedown Palace, Jack Straw, Black Peter, Franklin's Tower...how could I forget all of these?

what about Morning Dew, Black Throated Wind, So Many Roads, West LA Fade-away, Dancin in the Streets, Brown-Eyed Women, Feel Like a Stranger, and Sugaree?

What a great band!