Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I posted the duet with Rickie Lee Jones in that thread. But this is a great album so I figured I should post this here. I saw Bob & Rob at least a couple of times and Rob (RIP) was the original bassist for Ratdog. I didn’t think Rob always worked in the full band setting but when he and Bob were “Scaring the Children,” it was gold. They put out a live album that you should own.

bobweir7582__36337_zoom.jpg?resize=450,3

You should also own Rob’s Duets album because it kills. And it passes the acid test.

Solid show.  The recording I posted isn't great for that show, but tomorrow night's is.  I'll be on the road, but I will be listening to that show while rolling west.  I'm finishing off the night with Row Jimmy from 5/8/77.  Goddamn, this was a great, great version. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Isley Brothers, from Cincinnati, are representing at the NFL Draft in Cleveland. I posted a recording of their song It’s Your Thing in the NFL Draft thread. Since we were recently discussing KVHW in this thread, I figured it would be appropriate to post this here. Jerry would’ve loved this band. This just kicks all kinds of ass.

That makes no sense, especially coming from someone going through a 1977 phase when that’s clearly a 1990’s Jerry. And there’s no connection between the Dead and Star Wars (other than that they’re both products of California).

There was a connection between the Dead and Close Encounters, though.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:18 AM, Hate said:

Did your alien leaders forget to install a sense of humor when they dropped you off?

It’s just a funny meme for May the 4th (be with you).

Oh, you thought that was funny? I’m sorry.

I’m looking forward to next Easter when you post a pic of The Last Supper with Jerry photoshopped in and we’ll just laugh and laugh and laugh. Ha ha! Look! It’s Jerry!

😛

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I guess that's Cash with some serious artistic license.  Cohen died way after those people, so Cash makes more sense.  

I wouldn't know Sid Vicious' look anywhere.  

James Brown should have been one seat over to his right where the actual Apostle James sat.  

Tonight is 5/6/89 from the Frost Amphitheater in Palo Alto, California.  The graphic says New Haven, but it was Palo Alto.  Anyway, It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid Spring 89 show.  The sound is pretty good too.  The Wharf Rat is pretty damn good.  You could tell that they were really about to get into a great groove going into the summer. 

I’m about due to go buy another bottle of gin. I’ve got that Legion of Mary 5/21/75 show burned and ready to give to the lady with the Jerry tattoo at the liquor store. I just need to label it. My penmanship isn’t what it used to be. But I can’t let myself get hung up on that.

I decided to edit out track 6 - How Sweet It Is -  because the recording cuts out less than three minutes into the song. I was going to throw the first copy away (and actually threw it into my trash can briefly...but it was on the top so still edible). I put it into a slim disc case and figured I’d find someone to give it to. It’s clean and perfectly fine.

I happened to run into a guy named A.J. Just by coincidence I happened to notice that he backed his van into a parking space perfectly. You don’t often see that, even from most people who think they can do it better than they actually can. Still, no big deal. But my sense of isolation has been wearing on me and I’ve been more inclined recently to wave at strangers or flash the peace sign. We waved, he said hello, and I wound up asking him if he had a CD player. It’s his work truck and it does. I asked him if he wanted a CD.

This guy said he was 28. He didn’t know who Jerry Garcia is. He’d never heard of the Grateful Dead. How crazy is that? He said he’s Mexican. I asked him if he knew Los Lobos and he said he did. I told him they played with Jerry. He said, “Give me the CD.” I told him I was going to throw it away, and if he didn’t like it then he should just throw it away. But if nothing else, listen to track 4 - The Harder They Come - because that version kills.

I hope he digs it. 

I need to find the 1 old Legion of Mary show I have on tape.  I am not sure of the date, but I think it was from April of 75. I wish I had it digitized.

I am slightly obsessed with their version of Freedom Jazz Dance.  Here is a different version of the song from my tape:

for me, what they do here is on the level of the best stuff the  Dead ever did.  John Kahn was such a bad ass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Druggist said:

I need to find the 1 old Legion of Mary show I have on tape.  I am not sure of the date, but I think it was from April of 75. I wish I had it digitized.

I am slightly obsessed with their version of Freedom Jazz Dance.  Here is a different version of the song from my tape:

for me, what they do here is on the level of the best stuff the  Dead ever did.  John Kahn was such a bad ass.

I’ve got that disc. I have Garcia Live 2, 3, and 4, and one Pure Jerry release. That’s my limit because I don’t want to give that leech Deborah Kunz any more of my money.

If it wasn’t for the Dead (and Bill Graham) I doubt I ever would’ve gotten turned on to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and jazz in general.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the Cornell show last night as we had guest over.  I'm back on track tonight finishing off a great weekend with a great show, 5/9/77 from the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York.  I've listened to it a few times before and it's a fun show.  There are a few songs that they had played the night before, but who cares?  They are great songs. 

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-09.sbd.connor.8304.sbeok.shnf

I only have three Dead tapes that I didn’t throw away (as far as I know). All recorded off the Grateful Dead Hour back around ‘88-‘89. This tape still sounds good. It was my introduction to Silver Threads and Golden Needles. I can’t find this on YouTube but I can find this version. (I have this show on a bootleg disc including the New Riders of the Purple Sage set.)

12/12/69 was released as Dave’s Picks 10. It was a Pigpen-heavy show but it was just the third time they played Uncle John’s Band.

Then there was that piece from Monterey Pop when they refused to sign the papers allowing them to be in the movie because they were hippies and weren’t going to be used for someone else’s profit. At least some of that film remains. 

FD703E05-E888-486E-BFFE-22CAABB55CD4.jpeg

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Lol...joke's on you.  I'm listening to 5/10/72 from Concertgebouw, Amsterdam.

Obviously has the legendary He's Gone from Europe '72 but also many other highlights including the spacy TOO.

This site has great reviews of every Europe 72 show.

http://bozosandbolos.blogspot.com

Edited by alincoln
  • Like 1

In case WTB was wondering, I'm checking out 5/11/77 tonight from the St. Paul Civic Center in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Of course they played Big River, but this show has a great set list...except for Lazy Lightning/Supplication (I'm sure WTB love those).  The Wharf Rat>Around and Around>Brokedown Palace is a great way to end a show. 

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-11.sbd.barbella.8374.sbeok.shnf

On 5/11/2021 at 11:55 PM, Hate said:

In case WTB was wondering, I'm checking out 5/11/77 tonight from the St. Paul Civic Center in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Of course they played Big River, but this show has a great set list...except for Lazy Lightning/Supplication (I'm sure WTB love those).  The Wharf Rat>Around and Around>Brokedown Palace is a great way to end a show. 

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-11.sbd.barbella.8374.sbeok.shnf

I’m just looking forward to your next review of 5/8/77, Ace. 

Well, you might be disappointed to know I'm listening to 5/13/77 from the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.  It's a solid show.  Apparently it was simulcast on FM radio as well.  There is nothing really spectacular as there are plenty of May shows with better versions of each of the songs in the setlist....and then you get to a 17 minute The Other One.  Damn. 

https://archive.org/details/gd77-05-13.sbd.miller.9393.sbeok.shnf

Just because the episode of Star Trek TOS by the same name happens to be on MeTV right now. I’m not watching it because I’ve seen it a million times and I watched the OT of the Stanley Cup playoff game instead. But before the OT period started I had time to revisit this. I’m too lazy to check but this might’ve been the only song from that album with lyrics that weren’t written by Robert Hunter. But it’s a catchy tune and you get a tasty little solo by Kimock late. (RIP Wetlands.)

Watching CBS Sunday Morning and, going to commercial break, they had a short still image blurb about the outcome of the Preakness Stakes yesterday set to a cut from The Race Is On and they went with the Dead’s version, not the George Jones version. (Incidentally one of the few cover tunes I recognized at my first show because I didn’t know any of the Dead tunes.)

will be going to my first show this fall.  not a huge fan but bought the greatest hits album off columbia house back in the day.  am i about to turn into one of you weirdos?

Good lord willing and the creek don’t rise...just go back through this thread and click on every link. You’ll be hooked by your show.

Tonight is 5/17/77 from the heart of the evil empire, the University of Alabama coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  I've heard this before and it really is an outstanding show.  I was out of town this last weekend so I didn't get to listen to the 5/15 show from St. Louis.  I have a general disdain for all things St Louis, so I might just skip it.

11 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

will be going to my first show this fall.  not a huge fan but bought the greatest hits album off columbia house back in the day.  am i about to turn into one of you weirdos?

No. “Jerry’s dead, Phish sucks, get a job.” (As the saying goes.)

Dropping acid, or eating psilocybin mushrooms, then watching the Grateful Dead Movie wouldn’t be a bad place to start.

You could also listen to Live/Dead. And/or Blues For Allah in that state.

And you’d still have plenty of buzz left to watch Pink Floyd - The Wall.

Or listen to Sgt. Pepper’s.

Then when you’re coming down you should listen to this which is I think is the best come down song of all time:

But seriously, I hope you catch a Playin’ or Estimated or Looks Like Rain and get to hear Bobby scream.

15 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Also seriously, there’s a little bit of “want to”’ in order to get into the Dead. You sort of have to listen to a whole lot of their music to really get it. The greatest hits album leaves you in pretty shallow water at the edge of a deep ocean. (Don’t worry, Hate is a few yards out ready with one of these if you’re afraid of getting in too deep!)

27293-10881-1A-zoomin.jpg
Just kidding. The music won’t be that challenging and he couldn’t save you from drowning if it was. If they play Dark Star, he or she will be in the bathroom. You’ll be on your own.

I think the remaining post-Jerry incarnations of the Dead relics are old and tired enough that you’re probably not going to achieve anything great from seeing them unless you’re reliving prior experiences. But I don’t know so my best advice would be to familiarize yourself with their music as much as you can beforehand and you’ll probably be better off regardless of how the show goes. 

22 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

You have tickets ?  Because if you don't that's a bold statement, but I admire the confidence..  The dead show tix are gonna go faster than they've ever sold before. We're gonna try, and get tickets for Raleigh, Manasass, and Colorado (for both shows in October).  I'm betting they're gonna be $300 and up.  We had both shows in Raleigh and Co. 2020 before they were cancelled

You should start with this if you really want to see if you like them.  It's a "live" album from several of their shows from the Spring of 1990.  It's the height of their, what some would call, third peak and just before the death of their 4th keyboardist, Brent Mydland.  The link should be a playlist with all of the songs from the album.

This is what many would consider their second peak.  It is fantastic. 
If you like what you hear, then you like the Grateful Dead.  There is an endless wormhole to the eras and the lore behind this band.  They played over 2300 shows and all of them are different.  Some are ok, some are good, and some are great.  Like I said earlier, this thread is a good resource for finding some good shows.  Go back and click on some of the links if you really want to explore them.
  Edited by Hate

Sometime last year I had the Dead cranked up in the car stereo, with the windows rolled up, and after I parked and got out of the car some dude walking by asked, “Is that Grateful?” And I said yes it was. Now after over a year of the pandemic, and the weather getting nicer, I find I’m rolling the windows down and turning the volume up if I’m in a parking lot or somewhere where someone might hear it to see if I get a response. I’ve been listening to some acoustic Dead from 1970 lately, inspired by that tape I posted before. I got a smile and wave from some chick when I was playing Silver Threads and Golden Needles last night. I don’t know whether it had anything to do with the song or not. I doubt it. Probably just because times are tough and there’s a certain satisfaction in anyone enjoying their music.

The other day I was stopped at a light and there was a dude in the car next to me who was singing along with whatever he was listening to and it was like he was listening to the same thing I was listening to. We were both basically bopping our heads in the same rhythm. I just grinned and gave him a thumbs up.