Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I'm in love with this cheapo Bullet Tele. The pickup selector, volume, and tone controls are magic. It's like 50 different guitars in one, unlike any guitar I've played. There are some really minor fit and finish details that could be better like the volume knob catches on the pick guard and the rough frets that I mentioned before but all in all what a fantastic guitar, and for $150 new! 

Props again to Doug for the heads up.

10 minutes ago, ajax said:

I'm in love with this cheapo Bullet Tele. The pickup selector, volume, and tone controls are magic. It's like 50 different guitars in one, unlike any guitar I've played. There are some really minor fit and finish details that could be better like the volume knob catches on the pick guard and the rough frets that I mentioned before but all in all what a fantastic guitar, and for $150 new! 

Props again to Doug for the heads up.

This was supposed to go on the guitar thread. How the hell did that happen? I never click on the dead thread.

20 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's a sign to you from God.  Start with Althea and report back. 

I took a listen. It was good.

I've actually seen them live. My buddy is a Dead head and he took me to a concert where Joan Osborne was singing with them. I had a great time but it didn't really convert me. I hated Osborne's song "One of Us" but I came away from the show thinking that Joan was all kinds of sexy. The guitar player at the time (Jimmy Herring I think?) was blazing good.

Also, at my first job out of college my boss's secretary used to be a big Dead head. Through the years she managed to have sex with Bob Weir a few times. After one drunken happy hour, I gave her a ride home and she tried to convince me to come upstairs. So I could have been Eskimo brothers with Bob Weir but at the time I thought I'm way too young to be having sex with a 40 year old, and not nearly dumb enough to be fucking my boss's secretary.

• Like 1

I was listening to the brown eyes women from buffalo 5/9/77 when I ran across your post.  did they play there two nights?  It's fantastic

According to Dead.net, they played Barton Hall 5/8/77 and then played in Buffalo the next night 5/9/77.  The setlist for both shows does show they played Brown Eyed Women.  I wonder how many times they played the same song on back to back nights?  Now I have to go listen to the 5/9/77 version as I've been jamming the 5/8/77 version for a couple of weeks now.  

14 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Taper’s Section....it’s an app. Download it. You’re welcome.

You can also go to the live music archive at archive.org and stream or download any of the Dead shows available on that app. That's his source. They used to host soundboards of Dead shows at archive.org but some years back the band made them take those down. Their explanation was that they encouraged free trading of their recordings in order to foster relationships between people and if you could just go download them from a website then you, basically, weren't making new friends.

That was bullshit, of course. They did it for business purposes. I never intended to own a recording of every show in circulation but I regret not taking better advantage of the opportunity when it was available. I just assumed it would always be there. But you can still download audience recordings in lossless format to burn to disc if you're in to that sort of thing. I can only tolerate streaming mp3s in small doses, no pun intended. 

You can also go to the live music archive at archive.org and stream or download any of the Dead shows available on that app. That's his source. They used to host soundboards of Dead shows at archive.org but some years back the band made them take those down. Their explanation was that they encouraged free trading of their recordings in order to foster relationships between people and if you could just go download them from a website then you, basically, weren't making new friends.
That was bullshit, of course. They did it for business purposes. I never intended to own a recording of every show in circulation but I regret not taking better advantage of the opportunity when it was available. I just assumed it would always be there. But you can still download audience recordings in lossless format to burn to disc if you're in to that sort of thing. I can only tolerate streaming mp3s in small doses, no pun intended. 

True...or just open up that TS app and blue tooth that shit. Road trips are fantastic.

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Or just download .flac Charlie Miller sbds at lossless legs (shnflac.net), which I much prefer to etree.  You can also download matrix (Hunter Seamons) and auds at lossless legs.  For example, I just went over there and new Seamons matrix recordings of the prime Winterland 3.18.77 (the only complete live version of Terrapin, first Scar->Fire and massive Sugaree) and 3.19.77 (Terrapin -> PITB -> Samson -> PITB to end the 1st set and Eyes -> Dancin' -> Wharf Rat -> Franklin's -> Sugar Mags 2nd set) shows are available.  Treasure trove of goodness.

The official releases are usually (but not always) another step up in quality.  The 6.22.73 from the new PNW box set (arguably a Top 10 all-time show) is a massive upgrade over the existing sbds but some of the Dave's and Dick's Picks are almost indistinguishable to my ears to some of the better Charlie Miller sbds.

In any event, the amount of official and bootleg material available from 68-95 is astounding and overwhelming.  

• Like 3

I love looking at the show dates and imagining what I was doing during the shows, including all of the shows from the 70's when I was a kid and had no idea what the Grateful Dead was.  I also tend to kick myself for not getting on the bandwagon earlier and running away from home to follow them around. 

6 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

so many ways to listen and stream volumes of dead shows. With all this at your fingertips and blue tooth in cars these days, it is worth it to pay for XM? Maybe for sports it is....

It is for me.   I like the mix you get on the GD channel... sometimes full shows, other times songs from different eras, and a couple of good talk shows.   No doubt one could do something equivalent to play through your phone on Bluetooth, but I'm not up for that.  I like just getting into the car and the GD channel is already going. 

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It is for me.   I like the mix you get on the GD channel... sometimes full shows, other times songs from different eras, and a couple of good talk shows.   No doubt one could do something equivalent to play through your phone on Bluetooth, but I'm not up for that.  I like just getting into the car and the GD channel is already going. 

solid point

My brother owes me some $ so i’m trying to get him to by me the FLAC of the box set in return.  Need to remind him again. 

Amazon Prime has Truckin to Buffalo, Dead Ahead, So Far, The GD Movie, Closing of Winterland and a few other things available to stream.  Buffalo seems like the whole show, but winterland is a severely edited version (maybe the version they played on PBS?) so don’t get too into the Scarlet because it cuts mid-jam for a Bobby interview and never shows Fire.  No Dark Star>other one either. Better than nothing.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I listen on the "Deadheads Archive" app and it has soundboards.   I assume it's from the same source at the Internet Archives? 

On 9/15/2018 at 9:30 AM, Druggist said:

My brother owes me some $ so i’m trying to get him to by me the FLAC of the box set in return.  Need to remind him again. 

Amazon Prime has Truckin to Buffalo, Dead Ahead, So Far, The GD Movie, Closing of Winterland and a few other things available to stream.  Buffalo seems like the whole show, but winterland is a severely edited version (maybe the version they played on PBS?) so don’t get too into the Scarlet because it cuts mid-jam for a Bobby interview and never shows Fire.  No Dark Star>other one either. Better than nothing.

Yeah I've watched everything they have, and glad they do, but I need MOAR.   Love watching them play the guitars on video. 

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

I listen on the "Deadheads Archive" app and it has soundboards.   I assume it's from the same source at the Internet Archives? 

What I was meaning to say was that you could download the SBDs in SHN/FLAC format so you could burn them to an audio CD. You can still stream them. 

I want to say that there is/was a way to download the SBDs in MP3 format by doctoring the url at archive.org but it's been so long I can't remember exactly how that worked or if you can still do it. It had to do with pointing to a "download" folder in the url. 

Okay, checking in at archive.org jogged my memory. It doesn't work anymore but for a while you could download mp3s of SBDs by replacing "details" with "download" in the url. You can still download AUD recordings that way but you can do that from the details link as well so it's not really a backdoor to anything. 

Since I got into the Dead a few years ago, I've been trying to figure out why so many of these songs weren't radio hits.   I'm listening to Bird Song right now, and for the life of me, I can't understand why this isn't among popularly recognized all-time classics.  And there are at least a dozen more that I could ask the same question about without even raising a hint of fanboy bias.   I grew up listening to classic rock and never heard any of this stuff, aside from Friend of the Devil, Uncle John's Band, and Casey Jones.  I know they focused more on live music than studio work, but it's still mystifying that they didn't cross over more. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

I told this story on the old site, but I got into them in 1992.  I was 23 and 3 of my friends and I decided to be camp counselors in the Poconos for a summer.  We took two weeks to drive up there and camped in State Parks in various states on our way to Pennsylvania.  For some reason, we didn't grab many cassettes for the trip.  The one friend who was a hippy was the only one to bring any music.  He brought Skeletons from the Closet and Long Strange Trip with him in addition to Jane"s Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual and Nothings Shocking.  We traveled in two different vehicles and we took 3/4 of a pound of weed for the summer.  We left San Marcos and went to Rosebud for a farewell party and then on to Tulsa to visit one of our friend's family.  By the time we left Tulsa I had already become a fan.  We camped at Lake Wappapello, MO for a couple of days before finding the Land Between the Lakes right on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee.  It was absolutely beautiful and the music absolutely was the perfect backdrop to our "adventure".  We found an unbelievable place in West Virginia where we partied with some locals (kind of scary) before having one last stay at Locust Lake, PA to celebrate the trip.  It was a magical time and I think about it often when I hear some of the songs from those 2 albums.  It always makes me think of something that Jerry Garcia said about why Deadheads were so loyal.  I can't remember it exactly, but I'll paraphrase:

you can't just hop on a train or run away with the carnival anymore in America, so the Grateful Dead is as close to an adventure as you can find.  

It's absolutely true and that summer and that music changed my life.  I will be a Deadhead until the day that I die...after a long strange trip.  

19 hours ago, Hate said:

I find it interesting to hear how people became Deadheads.

Was a singer in a band in high school.  Guitar player brought a tape of some songs for me to learn that the band was going to play.  Among them was St. Stephen.  Naturally, we threw in Not Fade Away in the middle.  I was hooked.

• Like 1

On September 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Since I got into the Dead a few years ago, I've been trying to figure out why so many of these songs weren't radio hits.   I'm listening to Bird Song right now, and for the life of me, I can't understand why this isn't among popularly recognized all-time classics.  And there are at least a dozen more that I could ask the same question about without even raising a hint of fanboy bias.   I grew up listening to classic rock and never heard any of this stuff, aside from Friend of the Devil, Uncle John's Band, and Casey Jones.  I know they focused more on live music than studio work, but it's still mystifying that they didn't cross over more. 

Which version of Bird Song are you listening to? I'm guessing it's not the studio version from Garcia in 1972. While the Dead were playing it in concert, that was a Jerry solo version. 

That's the only version that could've been released as a single until the acoustic version on Reckoning in 1981. That version is 7:37 in length. Not very radio friendly. 

The Dead's studio work wasn't all that strong. They struggled to recreate the magic of their live performances in the studio setting. And most of the time they recorded songs when they were new, but they really didn't mature until they took them out on the road and performed them live a bunch of times. That's one of the reasons for the success of 1987's In the Dark. They'd been playing those songs for years. They first played Touch of Grey in '82. They also finally figured out that they should record it "live" in the studio instead of laying down all their tracks separately. 

I don't have the education in music theory to describe it effectively but the Dead's music didn't conform to most norms of popular music. They often used unconventional time signatures and chord progressions. They didn't "sound like" the other music most people were listening to. They never fit the mold of more mainstream acts.

Maybe that was a good thing. When they finally did have a top ten hit they started attracting huge crowds, more problems from people who were only coming for the party, and more attention from the authorities. Maybe they wouldn't have enjoyed the same longevity if they and their fans couldn't stay more or less under the radar.