Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Skull and Roses is outstanding. When I first started getting into the GD, I didn’t have any concert tapes at all. My roommate had about 4 or 5 Cd’s (Skull & Roses, Long Strange Trip, American Beauty, Skeletons From the Closet, and Without a Net). I wore all of them out. I always thought the Skull & Roses was the perfect CD for them as it showed the rock & roll chops as well as their blues and also added a little folk type music. That album started a lifetime love of Bertha and Wharf Rat in particular that will follow me to the grave.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am giving Dave's Picks 3, 10/22/71 a listen today.  It is one of Keith''s first shows with them and is interesting to hear him find his way in the songs.  From memory, I think the Cryptical is a heater, the OMSN is surprisingly good (i usually skip this tune), and Come's a Time is great and has an extra verse.  I like listening to Chicago shows since that is where I saw my first 2, both in 94.  In addition to the Rosemont St. Paddy's day show, I saw them at Soldier Field  on 7/24.  Traffic opened and it was a great time!  The Throwing Stones>NFA to close was so great to my younger self.  Listening back to the show now is a bit disappointing.  FWIW, I also saw the Stones play Not Fade Away later that year at the Cotton Bowl and saw Pink Floyd in between the two Dead shows.  It was a pretty good year for shows.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I love that album cover/art.  Does it say who did that?  

It would look great in a frame!

The back says the photo is by Richard Pechner rpechner.com

and the art direction is Lisa Glines

Edited by Druggist
Fat fingers

Yeah, I recognize the Wall of Sound photo from 49/67 in that slide deck.  But I really like the blue/grey shading Richard and/or Lisa put on it for that cover.  And then the rose swirls to mirror/match the Flag and the back cover.  It's actually very simplistic but very original for the Dead's album art.  I dunno, something about it.  I'm never good at describing what I like about artwork, but really dig that album sleeve.  I've long heard about this legendary long jam of the title track but I guess I've never seen the album art. 

I think I am going to fire up Skull & Roses this weekend at some point though and smoke this cigar I've been holding onto since Election Night. 

Are there any songs that you think you could change the lyrics slightly and make it just a bit better? I feel this way about Bertha.  The line goes:

Ran into a rainstorm
Ducked into a bar door
It was all night pouring, pouring rain
But not a drop on me 

I always thought it would be better if they said "but not a drop for me".  Maybe not, but it's still one of my all time favorites.  I finally don't have any early morning meetings tomorrow (2 mornings in a row of 3 AM meetings) so I'm for a little while looking for a show and having some bourbon.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Are there any songs that you think you could change the lyrics slightly and make it just a bit better? I feel this way about Bertha.  The line goes:

Ran into a rainstorm
Ducked into a bar door
But not a drop on me 

I always thought it would be better if they said "but not a drop for me".  Maybe not, but it's still one of my all time favorites.  I finally don't have any early morning meetings tomorrow (2 mornings in a row of 3 AM meetings) so I'm for a little while looking for a show and having some bourbon.

I'm a big Bertha fan.......... wait....

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

Ran into a rainstorm
Ducked into a bar door
But not a drop on me 

My brother and I always sing the opening line of Bertha as “I had a hard on, running from your window”.  It really adds something.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am going with 11/17/73 at the Pauley Pavillion (Dave’s Picks 5) on the back porch this morning.  It is one of those shows where every song played is one of the best versions out there.  Right now is Here Comes Sunshine-my second favorite after the DiP1 version.  The show also has a great Playin>UJB>Morning Dew>UJB>Playing that clocks in around 50 min.

The mix is perfect.  Two thumbs up!

Also, I am not sure if anyone else here is subscribing, but the new Dave’s pick from 3/26&27/87 is really good.  It is a matrix mix.  The crowd during Touch is awesome.  I think it is one of the first versions after the coma and the East Coast crowd is hyped.  I wish they would do more matrix releases.  As far as I know, this and 11/30/80 are the only ones and having the crowd audible really adds to the listening experience.

2/26/77 is a great show.  Fantastic versions of everything played.  I will put that on later this week as I am going through my favorite Dave’s Picks (it is #29).  

Right now I am in the back yard jamming 2/24/74 (DaP#13) Another all time great that is probably a top 20 show of theirs.  Every song is at the highest level.  

It is crazy how great these 70s shows sound compared to how shitty a lot of the 80s stuff sounds.  That is a big reason I have neglected their mid-80s shows more than I should.

It’s the #1 reason I don’t listen to many 79-86 shows. Brent was playing some really bad sounding keys early (the equipment, not Brent) and Jerry was so smacked out the vocals aren’t good. There are some great shows in that time, but nothing that stands up to 72-74, 76-77, and 88-90, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

On November 12, 2020 at 2:15 PM, Druggist said:

I saw them at Soldier Field  on 7/24.  Traffic opened and it was a great time! 

I saw Traffic open for them four times in '94. Three times in Vegas and then again at Buckeye Lake. They didn't open at the Deer Creek shows. But the night before the Buckeye Lake show they did their own concert at Blossom Music Center just south of Cleveland and I caught that show. It was awesome. Great venue and the same place where I saw Jefferson Airplane in '89. 

blossom2.jpg

blossom6pavilion.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Hate said:

It’s the #1 reason I don’t listen to many 79-86 shows. Brent was playing some really bad sounding keys early (the equipment, not Brent) and Jerry was so smacked out the vocals aren’t good. There are some great shows in that time, but nothing that stands up to 72-74, 76-77, and 88-90, imo.

Well, duh. But yeah, there were some great shows played in '84 and '85. And if you're going to criticize Brent's keyboard sound then I'd better never hear you say one kind word about Vince Welnick. 

Speaking of Blossom, and mid-80's Dead, the Dead played there on 6/25/85 and opened with Day Tripper. Great show.

https://archive.org/details/gd85-06-25.sbd.miller.18663.sbeok.shnf

28 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw Traffic open for them four times in '94. Three times in Vegas and then again at Buckeye Lake. They didn't open at the Deer Creek shows. But the night before the Buckeye Lake show they did their own concert at Blossom Music Center just south of Cleveland and I caught that show. It was awesome. Great venue and the same place where I saw Jefferson Airplane in '89. 

blossom2.jpg

blossom6pavilion.jpg

That is a really cool shed.  
My brother was at 2 of those Vegas shows.  I remember him saying how hot it was.  It is crazy they did afternoon shows in the summer back then.  I went to days 2&3 in Vegas in 95 and got a pretty bad burn.  The strip was nuts as all the heads spilled out after the show just as the lights were turning on.

1 hour ago, Druggist said:

That is a really cool shed.  
My brother was at 2 of those Vegas shows.  I remember him saying how hot it was.  It is crazy they did afternoon shows in the summer back then.  I went to days 2&3 in Vegas in 95 and got a pretty bad burn.  The strip was nuts as all the heads spilled out after the show just as the lights were turning on.

Blossom is awesome. If you ever have a chance to see a show there, do. It's pretty unique. I could speak at length about it but I won't right now. One of my greatest regrets in life is not seeing Zappa there in '88. I have also seen a number of Phish shows, a couple of Radiohead shows, and a Steely Dan show there. 

Those Vegas Dead shows were fun. I posted earlier about how they came right after some fiery Phish shows and started to turn me. But I enjoyed the shows. Hearing them cover Robbie Robertson's Broken Arrow for the first time was pretty moving. I already loved that song and it's just so Dead-ish the way they can take a completely different take on a song. It doesn't sound like the original, Phil can't sing, it's kind of clunky but it works. It's so...them. 

They had misting stations set up so you could cool off. I handied the heat pretty well. I was there for three shows in '93 so nothing surprised me. (Went without tickets for any show, scored a ticket in the lot for each night.) People stretched tarps between vehicles for shade. 

One thing I remember er from '94 was that Zima was waging a big marketing campaign and a bunch of people were drinking it in the lot. That's the only time I've tried it. The marketing campaign hit the Midwest the next year. 

But the coolest thing about that '94 trip was hanging out at the Oz exhibit at the MGM Grand after the first night's show. That was one of the most chill experiences I've ever had. These videos won't do it justice, but behind this giant diorama was a bar and a lounge with comfy chairs and soft carpet. We got there early enough to get chairs but before long there were lots of heads just sitting on the floor and chilling. And the bar was slammed. It was such a perfect place to come down after the show. 

The videos take you inside but we watched the show from the outside. And it was late at night so practically no one was actually taking the "tour." Underneath that domed entrance they had this huge diorama with the Emerskd City in the middle, surrounded by corn fields, and forests, and a golden brick road. 

The lighting and sound effects were what it was all about. They slowly cycled from day to night, with different colored lighting and projections on the domed ceiling. Birds singing during the day, crickets chirping at night. It was a cycle and every other "night" there would be a storm and the wicked witch would appear. That's the focus of these videos but that was just a laugh and the other 3/4 of the time was what made it so cool. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, duh. But yeah, there were some great shows played in '84 and '85. And if you're going to criticize Brent's keyboard sound then I'd better never hear you say one kind word about Vince Welnick. 
Speaking of Blossom, and mid-80's Dead, the Dead played there on 6/25/85 and opened with Day Tripper. Great show.
https://archive.org/details/gd85-06-25.sbd.miller.18663.sbeok.shnf

Yeah, I know there are some great shows in that era but they sure were never consistent during that time frame.

And the sound of the keyboards during those early Brent years are like a $100 Casio that a kid gets for X-mas. It didn’t even resemble a piano. The B-3 Hammond organ always sounded righteous.

As far as Vince goes, all 3 of my shows were “Vince” shows so he will always have a special place for me because of that. Vince’s sound were the least of their worries during the 94-95 years. If you go back and listen, 93 was really pretty solid as Jerry was still playing well and singing well.

Sometimes I just want to hear good sound and 5/8/77 has it.  I realize it's probably over hyped.  I know that there are allegedly 20 better shows out there.  But there are not many shows with the sound quality of this show.  The mix is absolutely perfect and the Phil Bombs are out of this goddamned world. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Hate said:

Sometimes I just want to hear good sound and 5/8/77 has it.  I realize it's probably over hyped.  I know that there are allegedly 20 better shows out there.  But there are not many shows with the sound quality of this show.  The mix is absolutely perfect and the Phil Bombs are out of this goddamned world. 

The loser from this show is what got me hooked on Live Dead.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/17/2020 at 10:14 PM, Hate said:

My favorite song from this show is easily the Dancing in the Street.   The jam is just so smooth and funky all at the same time.  If it didn’t have the vocal flubs, it would be perfect.

There are a few perfect songs from that show. The Brown Eyed Women, They Love Each Other, Scarlet>Fire, Deal, and St Stephen>NFA>St Stephen are out of this goddamn world! The mix is absolutely perfect as well. Phil destroys this entire show. It’s Grateful Dead 101 really.

My son texted me from school yesterday that his Technology teacher was playing Scarlet Begonias in class. He then got a 100 on a test shortly after that. He talked to the teacher and said he knew the song and told him what his favorite GD songs were, etc. My son just texted this morning that he got another 100 on a test in language arts and just before he took the test he was listening to Cold Rain and Snow. It seems to be his good luck charm.

Does she do it as like a background song in the room since we know some music at certain volumes is good for certain parts of our brain?  Or was she just jamming out on headphones or something while they were all working independently and he heard it as he walked by her desk?  Or was it part of some sort of assignment because there's is tons of proof that musical improv fires the exact same neurons as the ones that can program code?  Phil Lesh demands answers dammit!  I love it though, tell him I approve. 

6/8/77 is the jam for now.  I've always considered myself more West Coast than East Coast (meaning general vibe as I am a born and raised Texan), but I always find myself listening to more East Coast shows.  The energy of the shows always seemed a little higher on the East Coast to me. 

She got box-back titties
And great big noble thighs
Working undercover with a boar hog’s eye

I was watching the Amazon doc with subtitles turned on when they had an old clip of Pigpen doing Lovelight.  I have always loved this part of the song and never knew what he was singing until the subtitles sorted it out for me.  

edit: I did a little internetting and it seems lots of folks say he says box-back nitties. There is an old lightning Hopkins interview out there with most of the above lyrics in it (incl. nitties).  However, the subtitles said titties so that is what I am going with.

• Hook 'Em 1

On November 18, 2020 at 11:25 PM, Druggist said:

My favorite song from this show is easily the Dancing in the Street.   The jam is just so smooth and funky all at the same time.  If it didn’t have the vocal flubs, it would be perfect.

Vocal flubs? At a Dead show? Oh no!

Overall, 5/8/77 is one of the most flub-free performances of theirs. The heat-to-mistake ratio is as high as it ever got. I have no problem calling it their best show. 

What I think about when I think of that Dancin' is Phil's bass line. It's perfect. And if you listen to the other performances of Dancin' leading up to that show, you can hear the evolution leading up to that fully realized groovezilla jam in Ithaca. 

Vocal flubs? Sheesh. 

If Jam Bands 101 was a college course, the transistion from Scarlet to Fire would be required listening. You couldn't ask for a more seamless segue. 

EDIT: Oh wait, shit, I was thinking about Phil's bass line in Music. That's the monstrosity of badass. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Vocal flubs? At a Dead show? Oh no!

Overall, 5/8/77 is one of the most flub-free performances of theirs. The heat-to-mistake ratio is as high as it ever got. I have no problem calling it their best show. 

What I think about when I think of that Dancin' is Phil's bass line. It's perfect. And if you listen to the other performances of Dancin' leading up to that show, you can hear the evolution leading up to that fully realized groovezilla jam in Ithaca. 

Vocal flubs? Sheesh. 

If Jam Bands 101 was a college course, the transistion from Scarlet to Fire would be required listening. You couldn't ask for a more seamless segue. 

EDIT: Oh wait, shit, I was thinking about Phil's bass line in Music. That's the monstrosity of badass. 

Don’t get me wrong, that version of this song is one of my favorite performances they ever did.  For me it is the highlight of an all time great show. My favorite part is in the middle of the jam when Keith just starts playing chords and holding them.  The groove they develop around it sounds simple and effortless and has a different feel than it usually has.  
I love Keith during the S>F transition too.  He was on another level that month.

I've been out of town the last few days and haven't really listened to much Grateful Dead.  Well, I am making up for it tonight.  I just hot "shuffle" on my Grateful Dead playlist, so I will be all over the map tonight.  I hope everyone in my GD Surly family has had a fantastic Thanksgiving!  This is my favorite thread on this site and it's not even close!

• Hook 'Em 2

You know, WTB, I thought of you recently. /no homo. I got on a little bit of a Dark Start kick a few weeks ago and was enjoying it.  I'll admit there are probably 50 songs that I would rather listen to, but a few weeks ago I was really digging Dark Star...and I wasn't even tripping. 

Start here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Cantor-Jackson

And then start working your way through this list.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/50-grateful-dead-shows-betty-boards-added-vault/

And in fact the show you were listening to (Brent's first) was a Betty Board show. 

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

For you Dead Heads who like to surf the countries airwaves via the interwebz, WNRN 88.5 (thru TUNE-IN) independent radio out of Charlottesville, Va.  Grateful Dead and Friends radio show every Saturday 10:00 a.m. -12:00 a.m.

Always great selections, concerts, less heard sounds, and a good mix of dead like tunes, and sometimes some Cash, Nelson, et al.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am writing up my last paper for the class I am taking and listening to Holly Bowling’s piano versions of Dead and Phish songs.  Here is an Eyes of the World where she plays the end jam of the 6/18/74 version. 
Jerry with her right hand, Phil with her left.  Wow!

• Hook 'Em 1

I know there are better songs and I know there are "better" shows, but the "They Love Each Other" played on 5/8/77 is one of the best songs they very played.  There are so many layers to this version.  I've listened to it a thousand times and every single time I hear something new.  Jerry's beginning to the solo on this always makes me think of the "silent" movies where th guy rescues the girl from the train tracks or some other similar situation with danger impending.  It's absolutely phenomenal.  I really enjoy the early versions of this song as I think they have a real "Motown" feel to them, but this one in particular is just off the goddam charts.  Put this song on, light a fire somewhere, and grab your SO for a dance to this.