Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

On 3/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, Hate said:

A great version from a great show!

I found this show on spotify and am listening to it today, it's really great! I also love this description I found:

https://dailydoseofdead.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/today-in-grateful-dead-history-august-27-1972-old-renaissance-faire-grounds-veneta-or/

This is one of the canonical shows and has been commercially released as a CD/DVD combo that you can purchase here.  For those of you who aren’t familiar with the story, the Dead played this show as a benefit for Ken Kesey’s Springfield creamery in front of thousands of delirious hippies on one of the hottest days of the year.  As I’ve done with a couple of other important shows, I’ll give you a list of the highlights:

Which made me realize it's the show from the Long Strange Trip documentary with the out of his mind naked hippie dude dancing on the tower right behind Jerry.

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2021 at 2:11 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

The best thing about that show was the Dark Star. As the sun went down, the band heated up. One of the best Phil jams ever. You can hear Jerry suggest Wharf Rat right before Bobby leads them into El Paso.

The China Rider from this show is incredible

• Hook 'Em 1

Tonight is for 3/1590 from the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland.  Just a great show.  The Walking Blues and Althea in the first set also appear on Without  A Net.  The sound for this show is outstanding.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, Druggist said:

For me, this is my favorite Dark Star ever.  Jazzy, exploratory, when the get to freak out land, they pull it back pretty quickly.  One of my favorite ways to spend 35 minutes.

and I only did acid twice, at my first two Dead shows in 94.  pretty incredible.

I’m sorry you didn’t get to drop acid and see them while Brent was alive. I’m sorry I didn’t get to drop acid and see them while Keith was alive. But we can only play the hands we’re dealt.

That 11/11/73 Dark Star is epic. I can’t say I have a favorite. That one was a great example of how full band improvisation works. Without going back and getting all geeky and academic about it, (I had a little buzz going at the time,) I thought there were three “movements,” if you will, in that performance. I think I recall twice thinking that things were dying down and the jam was getting stale, then they’d go in a new direction. The last time was the Mind Left Body jam and, again, that reminded why I left that disc out in the first place. So when the MLB jam came on it sort of superseded my thoughts about the rest of the performance. And I know I have a disc around here somewhere with a post-it note saying there’s an unlisted Feelin’ Groovy jam on it.

The Dark Star from 8/27/72 in Veneta, OR is historic. So is the one from 2/18/71 in Port Chester, NY where the first Wharf Rat was sandwiched inside and featured what was dubbed the “beautiful jam” segueing back into Dark Star. That might have been the finest moment of purely improvised music at the time. Or ever. I wouldn’t argue against it.

I can’t remember who said that the Europe ‘72 tour was brought to you by Dark Star and The Other One. I’m thinking it was Dennis McNally. But they played one of those two songs at every show on that tour. There was only one show where they played them both, at the Bickershaw Festival on 5/7/72. That Dark Star > Drums > The Other One > Sing Me Back Home is as sweet as it gets. And there’s a nice Dark Star jam in The Other One.

But if we’re talking about Dark Star then it would be remiss of me not to bring up the one performed in Columbus, OH on Halloween, 1971. Dick Latvala chose it as his second pick. Phil stands out and it features an embryonic Eyes of the World jam.

And, to get a little geeky, listen at around the 8:48 mark and you can hear Bobby throwing in a Sugar Magnolia lick, and after 23 minutes, that’s where they go. That was one of the fun things about following the band — trying to identify the subtle ways they communicated with each other where they were going.

Its not a great Sugar Mag. I’ve heard better. I don’t have the vocabulary to describe the St. Stephen that follows. Choppy, staccato, funky? Militaristic? There’s a regimented quality to the sound that I don’t feel I can describe accurately but it sounds unique and I think it probably relates to coming out of Sugar Mag and if it came out of Dark Star then it probably would’ve sounded different.

And then the NFA > GDTRFB > NFA just scorches.

That is absolutely one of my favorite things about the GD. I love listening and thinking I heard part of another song during a jam and then then later breaking into that song.

And I’m sorry I never got to see them with Brent too. I loved the energy he brought to the band and I think he was the engine driving them in the late 80’s up until he died. He and Jerry just meshed perfectly. I wish I had gotten to experience it live.

Here’s a good story. It was around 1990. A couple friends and I were looking for an apartment. This guy gave us a deal where we could get cheap rent if we shared two apartments, one where the shower didn’t work, and he wasn’t going to fix it, if we would act as “resident managers” for that and two other buildings. No problem. It was a pretty good deal, all things considered. Yeah, I had to walk next door to take a shower every morning but the rent was dirt cheap.

And he paid us to paint the apartments. I was more of a go-getter than my future roommates (that’s a whole other story because for some reason living with me in college inspired you to drop out of school and quit your job).

Anyway, one night I was there painting one of the apartments we were moving into, by myself (and only I was getting paid for that work so that was cool), and I was listening to my tape of 8/13/75 on my boom box. It was a good quality tape. One of the best sounding tapes in my collection. It was a treasure. I can’t remember if someone hooked me up or if I recorded it off of the Grateful Dead Hour. But it was one of the best sounding tapes I owned.

When I was done painting for the night, I just left my boom box against the wall underneath the window. There were no blinds on the windows and nobody could have seen my ‘portable stereo’ from outside. Unless they were watching while I was painting. They must have been watching because, when I came back the next day, someone had broken in through the window and stolen my boom box. Whoever it was obviously wasn’t a Deadhead because they took the tape out and left it behind. That was cool because replacing the boom box was easier than replacing the tape.

And then the very first show the Dead released from the vault was that exact show. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m sorry you didn’t get to drop acid and see them while Brent was alive. I’m sorry I didn’t get to drop acid and see them while Keith was alive. But we can only play the hands we’re dealt.

That 11/11/73 Dark Star is epic. I can’t say I have a favorite. That one was a great example of how full band improvisation works. Without going back and getting all geeky and academic about it, (I had a little buzz going at the time,) I thought there were three “movements,” if you will, in that performance. I think I recall twice thinking that things were dying down and the jam was getting stale, then they’d go in a new direction. The last time was the Mind Left Body jam and, again, that reminded why I left that disc out in the first place. So when the MLB jam came on it sort of superseded my thoughts about the rest of the performance. And I know I have a disc around here somewhere with a post-it note saying there’s an unlisted Feelin’ Groovy jam on it.

The Dark Star from 8/27/72 in Veneta, OR is historic. So is the one from 2/18/71 in Port Chester, NY where the first Wharf Rat was sandwiched inside and featured what was dubbed the “beautiful jam” segueing back into Dark Star. That might have been the finest moment of purely improvised music at the time. Or ever. I wouldn’t argue against it.

I can’t remember who said that the Europe ‘72 tour was brought to you by Dark Star and The Other One. I’m thinking it was Dennis McNally. But they played one of those two songs at every show on that tour. There was only one show where they played them both, at the Bickershaw Festival on 5/7/72. That Dark Star > Drums > The Other One > Sing Me Back Home is as sweet as it gets. And there’s a nice Dark Star jam in The Other One.

But if we’re talking about Dark Star then it would be remiss of me not to bring up the one performed in Columbus, OH on Halloween, 1971. Dick Latvala chose it as his second pick. Phil stands out and it features an embryonic Eyes of the World jam.

And, to get a little geeky, listen at around the 8:48 mark and you can hear Bobby throwing in a Sugar Magnolia lick, and after 23 minutes, that’s where they go. That was one of the fun things about following the band — trying to identify the subtle ways they communicated with each other where they were going.

Its not a great Sugar Mag. I’ve heard better. I don’t have the vocabulary to describe the St. Stephen that follows. Choppy, staccato, funky? Militaristic? There’s a regimented quality to the sound that I don’t feel I can describe accurately but it sounds unique and I think it probably relates to coming out of Sugar Mag and if it came out of Dark Star then it probably would’ve sounded different.

And then the NFA > GDTRFB > NFA just scorches.

I am a fan of those you mentioned.  
the tighten up jam in 10/31/71 is great.  Another favorite my brother spun for me in the tape days is 9/19/70.  The closing sequence of Dark Star through Lovelight just rages throughout.  I wish Bear didn’t get busted because the tapes from that era are spotty once he wasn’t touring.  This one has a really high quality SBD out there of the section above.

It’s been a while since I went through the Fillmore West ‘69 box set. I think that was the first limited edition collection they released. I am wholly against that practice. Make everything available to everyone who wants it. At least I know that everything that’s out there will always be out there and in 50 years all these recordings will be shared like pennies in a penny jar.

There was a time when every SBD recording was available for free at archive.org. (They all still are if you know a serious taper.) I never wanted to own every show, but I regret not downloading all of them and storing them on disc or hard drive just in case.

Anyway, I listened to disc 2 of 2/28/69 last night. Cryptical > Other One > Cryptical > Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Death Don’t.

There was a lot of beauty in the O1 > DS. Best ever? I wouldn’t say so. But The Eleven was as good as it gets. This is what it’s all about. This could be cross-posted to the surly jazz thread because this is a conversation. Once again, Phil is on fire.

I went on and listened to disc 3 of 2/28/69. Alligator > Drums > Jam > Caution > Feedback > Goodnight. The Alligator and Drums didn’t stand out.  But that jam afterward through Caution and Feedback? You can see Hate over there in the corner curled up in the fetal position and shitting all over himself. That was sick.

We Bid You Goodnight was cut short due to technical difficulties. Pretty funny. 

48 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I went on and listened to disc 3 of 2/28/69. Alligator > Drums > Jam > Caution > Feedback > Goodnight. The Alligator and Drums didn’t stand out.  But that jam afterward through Caution and Feedback? You can see Hate over there in the corner curled up in the fetal position and shitting all over himself. That was sick.

We Bid You Goodnight was cut short due to technical difficulties. Pretty funny. 

Jesus Christ you really are a fucking moron.  Congrats on ruining my favorite thread and being only the second person I've ever put on ignore.

. I was more of a go-getter than my future roommates (that’s a whole other story because for some reason living with me in college inspired you to drop out of school and quit your job).

It’s probably because you slowly sucked all of the life and will to live out them while droning on and on about how much more of a sophisticated listener you are.

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Jesus Christ you really are a fucking moron.  Congrats on ruining my favorite thread and being only the second person I've ever put on ignore.

Lulz. I only know one Republican who calls himself a Deadhead. He’s from Texas. Doesn’t really go for all that psychedelic stuff. Goes by the name “Hate.”

Could there be a more perfect cliche?

Come on, man. I’m just having some fun. Don’t be afraid of the Dead that really gets out there. 

Look.  I'm going to take you off ignore enough to respond to this.  You are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for actual hate.  My name came from my last username from the old site and it was ihateowho.  Nobody ever got my username to mean that I hate OU...ou-owho.  That's it.  I joined Hornsfans just before that site ended when ou was regularly beating Texas by 50 points.  That is where that name comes from.  The reality is that there are very few people in this world that I actually hate, and you would probably agree with me on those people.  You need to chill the fuck out and understand that we are on the same team but maybe on different units...I may be on defense or offense  while you are clearly on special teams. 

At any rate, no matter how hateful you may be, I will finish my night with some Grateful Dead...it may be 5/26/77 just to piss you off though.

Edited by Hate

I just got this.  It is as good a show as they ever played.  I remember reading that it was on the short list for Dick’s Picks Vol 1,  but they couldn’t get a complete show approved.  
the Cumberland is easily my favorite version and most of the other songs rank amongst my favorite 2 or 3 versions.  I cannot wait to give it a spin.

388411CC-748F-4CA2-AB26-2263147B29C6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

7-LP Set?  HOly shit.  

Obviously their fate would have been wildly different, as would many of ours, had the cassette tape never been invented.  I mean, the invention of it happens way before the Dead.  But it's proliferation doesn't really take off until the Grateful Dead are already touring, jamming, and letting recording/trading happen for almost 10 years.  If the cassette tape doesn't take off like it did, most of our connection the Grateful Dead is purely live shows.  Radio was just not gonna play 15 minute versions of songs, except on special nights.  I had a classic rock radio show outside Chicago from 1991-1993 where I DJ'd/did talk radio....it was called "Radio GaGa" on 88.1FM.  And then in addition to that, I co-hosted a show with a visiting Deadhead each month on one Monday each month called "Requests & DEADications."  We would play a few vinyl live tracks and invariably turn to cassettes collected by myself and whoever my co-host for the evening was (8-10pm).  We'd really only get through like 9 songs because of the length and most of the tape quality was shit.  But we played our handful of live records so many times, we had to change it up and this was before live CD's were readily available (I think our last show, we played "Without a Net" on disc, that was about it).  

No idea what the point of my story was except that tape trading really did revolutionize the way the band carried itself out there.  Live shows alone wouldn't have done it and they were mainstream-radio friendly.  I only did a little tape trading from about '91-'95, maybe a dozen tops.  then kinda let it go altogether when I got more into blues music after they went on (nearly) full hiatus from '95-'03.  By 2003, I was able to pick up most of what I wanted on CD and online.  I don't have the time or mental stamina (or drug assistance) to make it through full shows like some folks do (I'm jealous, for the record).  But about once a month or so, I get to a do a whole set.  And there is never a day that goes by where I don't at least listen to a 2-3 full live songs in the car or in the office.  

We've talked about it exhaustively on this thread.  But I come back to the point---many people who think they are really particular about their music don't really get it.  Not judging, but putting on some DSP to just ping you around the shit they want you to listen to and eventually buy tickets to/albums from/merch from.  That's fine.  But I think what draws most of us to the Dead is the ability to curate a short playlist based on shows that happened before we were even born, let alone attended, but we anticipate some of the quirks in the live performance, we kinda know a few places the song is gonna go, and most of the locales are completely unknown to us---yet somehow comfortably familiar.  It's always a journey down a strange and unfamiliar street leading us to a welcoming homestead we never knew we knew.  No matter when or where I turn on their XMradio channel, within 15 seconds of the unknown jamming, I can tell where it's going.  But it never gets to that place on the path I think it will.  

Their songs aren't about the journey, they're not about the destination, they're not about the travelers.  They're about turning over the map, and letting the four winds take you home. 

On 3/21/2021 at 1:29 AM, Hate said:

Look.  I'm going to take you off ignore enough to respond to this.  You are barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for actual hate.  My name came from my last username from the old site and it was ihateowho.  Nobody ever got my username to mean that I hate OU...ou-owho.  That's it.  I joined Hornsfans just before that site ended when ou was regularly beating Texas by 50 points.  That is where that name comes from.  The reality is that there are very few people in this world that I actually hate, and you would probably agree with me on those people.  You need to chill the fuck out and understand that we are on the same team but maybe on different units...I may be on defense or offense  while you are clearly on special teams. 

At any rate, no matter how hateful you may be, I will finish my night with some Grateful Dead...it may be 5/26/77 just to piss you off though.

Yeah, I know you were ihatewho at the old site. I once posted about how I got you and lateshow confused. I gathered that “who” was Jane Fonda. But surely you can appreciate the humor in a professed Grateful Dead fan calling himself “Hate.” I think that’s funny. One might expect a Dead fan to call himself “Peace” or “Love,” but you went with “Hate.”

I’m not putting words in your mouth. You yourself said that you’re not into the whole psychedelic side of the Dead. If there is only one psychedelic band in the world, it’s the Grateful Dead. (If there were only two, the other one was Pink Floyd. And the differences between how our two cultures responded to the crisis of WW II and how that was reflected in the music of those two bands would be a worthwhile discussion.)

Listen to 5/26/77 all you want. I’ve spent nearly three-and-half decades listening to Grateful Dead music and I maintain that it’s the least jammy show they ever played. I challenge you to find a less jammy show. I’m not saying this as a personal assault on you. I’m just saying it as a guy who loves the Dead, has seen dozens of shows, has seen as many as not while tripping on psychedelic drugs, and has listened to a handful of others on recording in a psychedelic state.

I love, love, LOVE, Looks Like Rain. If you want to say that 5/26/77 is your favorite version, that’s your right. I’d probably put it, not only at the bottom of the list of all of the versions of that tour, but at the bottom of the list of all versions of all time. It’s not personal. Everything I’ve ever seen you say about the Dead and their music tells me that you’re not really into the jams. How am I wrong?

Listen to the Estimated from 5/26/77, and then the one from the next show, Hartford 5/28/77, and tell me you like the one from Baltimore better. If you can honestly do that then put me on ignore because there’s nothing I can learn from you and I don’t want you to hear any of my stories from my life of seeing the Dead and other jam bands. 

Is there seriously a debate on the least jammy show going on right now?  They play different kinds of sets all the time, that's kinda the fucking point.  

Not the best L.L. Rain ever. But my first one. It was at my second show. I really didn’t know much about their music before I saw my first show. I learned most of it by buying their studio albums after I saw my first show. I may have purchased all of their studio albums before I ever discovered Ace, which was basically a Dead album. The Playin’ on that album might have been as close as they ever came to reproducing their live sound in the studio. Anyway, it was completely new to me and I remember it vividly.

AE879203-ABF7-41DD-AAB5-9D86F209BABE.jpeg

23 hours ago, Druggist said:

I just got this.  It is as good a show as they ever played.  I remember reading that it was on the short list for Dick’s Picks Vol 1,  but they couldn’t get a complete show approved.  
the Cumberland is easily my favorite version and most of the other songs rank amongst my favorite 2 or 3 versions.  I cannot wait to give it a spin.

388411CC-748F-4CA2-AB26-2263147B29C6.jpeg

That’s a classic show. I had it on tape. (The Philly show, anyway.)  It was among the heavily traded classic shows. I never heard anything about it being considered for Dick’s Picks 1. Or 2. (Happy Halloween, Columbus!)

Check out the shows from Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor in ‘71. As a Buckeye, I would never ever give credit to that school up north unless it was absolutely warranted. But that’s a great venue. I saw Phish there in 1994 and Oysterhead in 2001. That place rocks and it totally lived up to all my expectations when I finally visited it in person.

Never made it to The Spectrum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s a classic show. I had it on tape. (The Philly show, anyway.)  It was among the heavily traded classic shows. I never heard anything about it being considered for Dick’s Picks 1. Or 2. (Happy Halloween, Columbus!)

Check out the shows from Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor in ‘71. As a Buckeye, I would never ever give credit to that school up north unless it was absolutely warranted. But that’s a great venue. I saw Phish there in 1994 and Oysterhead in 2001. That place rocks and it totally lived up to all my expectations when I finally visited it in person.

Never made it to The Spectrum. 

My brother traded DATs in the 90’s and this was one of the crispiest tapes he spun me. I still think that old tape sounds better than the CD, we’ll see how it stacks up to the vinyl. It was one of my 2 or 3 most listened to tapes.

I made it through the 1st set yesterday and it is still pretty great.  The Bird Song, Cumberland, Ramble on Rose, Black throated wind, Big River,  and Playin are all among my favorite versions, and the rest is really good too.(China>Rider, loser, etc.) I can’t wait for the Dark Star.  The Mind Left Body at the end is my favorite one.  They do it in a psychedelic bluegrass style that flows into the Morning Dew.

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

12/19/73, 2/13/70 and 10/11/77 were the finalists for DiP 1.  Latvala considered 9/21/72 in his initial evaluation but didn't want to cut it to 2 discs.

Really? If you say so. I guess.

That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Have you taught me anything? No. No you have not. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Is there seriously a debate on the least jammy show going on right now?  They play different kinds of sets all the time, that's kinda the fucking point.  

5/26/77 is a solid Spring 77 show, particularly set 2.  I agree with fucknut that the the first set is noticeably "unjammy" after the strong Music, Sugaree start until the hot Bertha closer, but the second set is typically excellent May 77 dead.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You have taught all of us that post on this thread and now the jazz thread that you are either an unredeemable cunt or afflicted with Asperbger's.  Either way, seek professional treatment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5/26/77 is a solid Spring 77 show, particularly set 2.  I agree with fucknut that the the first set is noticeably "unjammy" after the strong Music, Sugaree start until the hot Bertha closer, but the second set is typically excellent May 77 dead.  

The sound is what I really like about that show. The mix is perfect and the recording is crystal clear. Some shows the mix is off and you don’t get enough Bobby or Phil or Keith, but this recording is mixed perfectly. I don’t know how anyone could possibly claim to like the Grateful Dead and not like that show even if there are other shows they prefer. And I posted links to about 6 other LL Rain performances from May of 77. They are all about the same length in time played. I guess if you really wanted to, you could make an argument that the 5/26 version is less jammy than the other 6 or so i posted, but why? Enjoy it or don’t, but don’t blast anyone else that enjoys it.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:53 PM, Hate said:

Twenty seven years ago tonight I was at my last Grateful Dead show.  It's where I met @Druggist and his brother that night.  It was a damn good time.  Althea, Iko Iko, Uncle John's Band, and The Wheel>Watchtower>Morning Dew close with the Rain finish were the highlights of the night for me.  It's a great 94 show, in my extremely biased opinion.

https://archive.org/details/gd94-03-17.sbd.ladner.8023.sbeok.shnf

I'll be having a drink and reliving it tonight. 

Just saw this.  What a great show!  My highlights match up with yours.  I was also super pumped for the Touch opener and I really like that Rain encore.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

https://vintagevinyl.com/UPC/848064011385

the folks here seem to have the same recollection about it being considered for the first Dick’s Picks that I have.   I am pretty sure  I read or saw an interview with Dave where he mentioned this as being one of the reasons he closed the series with this release.  

lighten up Francis 

9DB5D6A3-4015-4D78-84B1-A2D5AABE45E5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Hate said:

I just started the show.  I love the early 70's Bird Songs.  I love the jazziness of them.  This one is no exception.

There is a great part in the jam where Jerry drops out (broken string I think).  Anyway Keith takes a solo and kills it.  I wish he had more opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm checking out a decent spring 90 show tonight.  It's 3/25/90  from the Knickerbocker Arena in Albany, New York.  It's a pretty good audience recording.  It's got a good mixture of crowd and band, but I don't think Phil or Brent are up enough in the mix. 

https://archive.org/details/gd90-03-25.fob-schoeps-mattes.miller.28389.sbeok.shnf

Edited by Hate

It's been a good not great show. The highlights for me were Crazy Fingers and Black Peter (no homo). Black Peter was released on Dozin at the Knick which is on YouTube. It has much much better sound than the link I posted from Archive.org.

Tonight is Download Series Volume 4 from 6/18/76 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey & 6/21/76 at the Tower Theater in Philly.  Great sound from these recording.  I wish they would release more of these download series because they've all been pretty damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Tonight is Download Series Volume 4 from 6/18/76 at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey & 6/21/76 at the Tower Theater in Philly.  Great sound from these recording.  I wish they would release more of these download series because they've all been pretty damn good. 

I really like this release.  I bought it because the 18th is the day I was born, but 76 has grown on me.  The crazy fingers is great and I love mission in the rain.

today on TIGDH I caught 3/26/73 truckin>weather report prelude>wharf rat.  There was a really nice jam in one of the >’s.  It was unique and just another confirmation of why that is my favorite era.

23 minutes ago, bigbevo76 said:

Does it get more jazzy then the spring 90 with branford marsalis?

A different jazzy I guess.  The Branford Bird Song is certainly improvisational, but the sound of the early 70's Bird Songs in completely different.  This is my favorite from that era.  It's just a different song from the way they played it in the late 80's and 90's.

Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73

Edited by Hate

26 minutes ago, Druggist said:

I really like this release.  I bought it because the 18th is the day I was born, but 76 has grown on me.  The crazy fingers is great and I love mission in the rain.

today on TIGDH I caught 3/26/73 truckin>weather report prelude>wharf rat.  There was a really nice jam in one of the >’s.  It was unique and just another confirmation of why that is my favorite era.

I've posted it before, but the 4/30/77 Download Series in fantastic as well. 

9 hours ago, Hate said:

And the first Eyes with Branford is perfection.

Agreed!

while we are talking about 76, the 7/17/76 show is fantastic.  The jam that starts with Comes. Time is as good as it gets.  The filler from the previous night on the Dave’s Picks release is great too.  These two shows, along with the September 76 releases, feel a bit different from the June 76 stuff.  It is so fun to hear their evolution over such a short time frame.

18 hours ago, Hate said:

Listened to part of this riding my mountain bike today, great show! I love the Jimmy Row

• Like 1

Thirty one years ago tonight the Grateful Dead played one of their most legendary shows.  March 29, 1990 from Nassau Coliseum where they were joined on stage late during the first set by Branford Marsalis.  I'll be listening to this show tonight.  I've posted the links to the full show and separately to the video of Eyes of the World, which is a to ptwo or three version for me.