Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Well, if I had gone to the Woodlands show with Hate, I'd be on my way back to Austin for this 8:00am work deal on about 3 hours of sleep.  But looking at the setlist from last night, shit........it'd have been way worth it.  Look forward to reports from the front, along with some cell phone video clips:

The Music Never Stopped---Easy Answers---TMNS reprise

Dire Wolf

El Paso 

Row Jimmy

Jack Straw

Mississippi Half Step/Uptown Toodeloo

(set break) 

Here Comes Sunshine (that's a rare live one right there, at least in my experience)

Truckin'

Saint Stephen

William Tell Bridge (also rare for me)

The Eleven

Drums/Space

Milestones (Miles Davis cover, also rare)

Days Between

U.S. Blues 

ENCORE---Black Muddy River 

It was a fun show.  I loved hearing Dire Wolf.  The first set was fantastic.  Here Comes Sunshine was nice, Trucking is always fun, and St Stephen was a blast.  I hope they come back next year as that is a great venue and I didn't seem like there was any harassment going on (none that I've heard of anyway) from the Montgomery Co Sheriffs, which I know was a bit of a concern.  

On a side note, what did y'all think of the venue if you haven't been there before?

• Like 1

It was my first time there, I really like the setup and open air under the big circus tent. The front starting to come in during the second set made for a really nice evening.

As an aside - this was my first dead and Co show that I actually had seats for and wasn't down in the pit near the stage. Its very nice to have a seat when you want one lol

The MIL came over for dinner tonight as a thank you for watching out son last night during the show. She asked to hear some Grateful Dead as she had never heard them before. After dinner we sat on the porch and listened as she enjoyed it, much to my wife’s chagrin. I told her about the acid tests, which she had no idea had ever occurred despite being 82. She was amazed how the CIA created Acid and how it turned out to be illegal. I’m going to get her turned into a Deadhead in short order.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Travo said:

Sad that I missed St Stephen > The Eleven by one day, I was at the Dallas show. The Dallas show was great though.

You did get the Help>Slip>Frank though.  

I was so excited to see St. Stephen >Wm Tell>The Eleven.  That has been high on my list ever since they brought it back with The Other Ones.

The whole sequence from Here Come’s Sunshine through Milestones was incredible.  We were maybe 15 yards up in the lawn a little right of center and the sound was fantastic.  The sound at the Erwin Center show a few years ago was terrible where I was sitting (I could barely here bass or keyboards), so this was a nice change.

A funny thing happened at setbreak when a young -18year old girl asked a big long-haired Hispanic dude near us if it was his picture on his shirt.  It was Jerry García.  LOL.

• Like 3

Both the Dallas and Houston shows were awesome with maybe a slight edge to Dallas overall but getting to hear St Stephen to Eleven was fantastic.

No shakedown in Dallas sucked, Im guessing due to the fair, last show in Dallas the cops were much cooler. I guess the freakshow in broad day light next to a wholesome fair is a bit much. Mommy i want a balloon!

The band is killing it right now, two of the better shows Ive seen Dead and Co and we are up to about 20 shows.

Chemati is dialed in and working well with Mayer like Jerry/Brent.

Let Otiel Sing!

• Like 1

Jeff Was on fire in Houston. He stood out above everyone to me.

Edit: and did anyone else hear a “Wang Dang Doodle” tease before going into trucking? I also thought I heard a “The Other One” tease coming out of space. Could have been the edibles though.

Jeff Was on fire in Houston. He stood out above everyone to me.

Edit: and did anyone else hear a “Wang Dang Doodle” tease before going into trucking? I also thought I heard a “The Other One” tease coming out of space. Could have been the edibles though.
They were definitely fucking with the audience on several of those openings, same shit in Dallas. Pretty cool.
A stone cold sober dude in our group got fooled several times.
Team edible myself.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also Mickey aged a fuckload the last two years (same here), but he was bringing it like an angry Harry Potter Goblin in Dallas. I feel for his ever-present chewing gum, might be Dante's lowest ring of hell that poor gum. But he Really pushed the dark tones of that show and emphasized some of the thematic dark points they were making (no politics). Drums and Space up front was incredible. So loud, i could feel it vibrating down to my nuts.
The drummers really are so much of this band. I don't know how you replace that. I know Weir has talked of dying and floating away while the band keeps playing, without Mickey though its so different.

Welp, still jealous of all you bastards that got to see them in Dallas and/or Houston.  But my jealousy is waining.  

Obviously, coulda been shitty sound and an off-night for jamming but a friend just sent me their setlist from earlier this week because he knows my favorites and apparently 2 of them were played back to back along with a couple of non-typical live covers.  Anyway, 10/19:

Not Fade Away--->New Speedway Boogie.  Big Railroad Blues--->Tennessee Jed.  Friend of the Devil.  They Love Each Other.  Dear Prudence.  Don't Ease Me In. (set)

Scarlet Begonias.  Estimated Prophet--->Eyes of the World--->Fire on the Mountain.  Drums/Space.  Turn on Your Lovelight--->Morning Dew--->Casey Jones 

(E) Althea. 

I'd still be in the parking lot looking for more connectivity.  Wow.  

Next night show looks just a s great, but so many personal favorites on the 19th.  Damn, wish I coulda been there.  

That's the one! She was there with some weird dude that didn't pay attention to her at all.  I was the one that she kept coming up to and holding my hand.  I ended up babysitting her for at least the first part of the first set.  She lost her vaccine card and her driver's license.  We did find her vaccine card, but not her license.  I hope she made it home safely.

8 hours ago, Hate said:

That's the one! She was there with some weird dude that didn't pay attention to her at all.  I was the one that she kept coming up to and holding my hand.  I ended up babysitting her for at least the first part of the first set.  She lost her vaccine card and her driver's license.  We did find her vaccine card, but not her license.  I hope she made it home safely.

Weir everywhere!

Man, did not realize how many gorgeous 1994 versions of "Liberty" that Jerry did before he died.  

"If I was a bottle, I'd spill for love"  He had some rough shows when I saw him '91-'94.  But a handful of versions I'm listening to tonight, so wonderful

Most of us were late to the party, but there were these fleeting moments.  We witnessed slivers of art history.  55 years and the music never stopped.  Even when the core 4 are gone, it will live through everything and everyone they played with.  

My children will see people play this music whom played with the people that wrote it and performed it originally.  It's hard to wrap your mind around.  But there it is.

Phoenix was a solid show and a last minute detour. Shitty venue staffing, about 10 metal detectors for the entire venue for everyone to get through. Lines looked hour plus long. Met up with some olds and used their "im old and confused vibe" to ease right up to the front of the line, gave out some of Calis finest weed to keep the peace, and skipped the bs line. my bad. Good vibes all night in return, free lawn chairs for the first set, free drinks, nice seats for the last set near the pit. Nice shakedown.

Great set, some deeper cuts, then a nice SB TOG FM to get some booties shaking. Weather was perfect.

• Like 1

First set reads for sure "deep cuts",  second looks gorgeous.  Thanks for report from the front.  

Yeah, in one set, let alone a whole show---you don't often hear "Dire Wolf", "Lost Sailor", "Saint of Circumstance", "China Doll", and "Big Railroad blues"  I mean, you hear 'em , but all those in one opening set.  Just goes to show the chops of the other band members aside from the big 3.  It just bleeds out into the other limbs.  

First set reads for sure "deep cuts",  second looks gorgeous.  Thanks for report from the front.  
Yeah, in one set, let alone a whole show---you don't often hear "Dire Wolf", "Lost Sailor", "Saint of Circumstance", "China Doll", and "Big Railroad blues"  I mean, you hear 'em , but all those in one opening set.  Just goes to show the chops of the other band members aside from the big 3.  It just bleeds out into the other limbs.  
Agreed, that is the beauty of it all, its never the same, even with an expected pattern, its always been unpredictable. Makes it hard to skip a show, because this show might be my jam, but the next might be yours.

They have a pretty big catalog
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just want to say that I think The Other One was never as good as the late years with Brent.  He's just fantastic on this.  I love how they wait for Phil to drop some bombs to kick it off too!!  If only they still had the Wall Of Sound in 89-90. The 2:22 mark as the come out of Space is just UN-fucking-believable...and then into a beautiful Wharf Rat...few things better in this life!

Edited by Hate

I've been on an Althea kick lately and that show didn't stop that.  It was an average version, but even an average Althea is better than 90% of any other song.  My favorite is still 3/15/90 from the Cap Center (the Without A Net version), but I think it's one of several perfect songs they have.  Even my 3/17/94 version is fantastic.