Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

I've been watching the Amazon Documentary series Long Strange Trip. I wanted to do that before really listening to them. 

I marvel at Pigpen. That guy was a real good blues man. And I think if he had been in a conventional rock and roll band in that era like others that transitioned from more Blues based to Rock and Roll, he would have been a very consequential musician. He really was in the wrong band in a way. But they loved each other and even if he couldn't quite transition to keep his role as the keyboardist, he was a great contributor still. Too bad he was so sensitive. I like blues a lot so I kind of think I'm going to like that era when his influence in the band was greater. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Hook 'Em 1

csb/ My oldest has "Music Day" at school today.  Extended music class, a live band of dads playing at lunch in the cafeteria, and every other class will try to touch on music in history/Spanish/math/etc.  they were asked to wear "music-related shirts, such as those featuring music notes or names of musicians."  When my wife showed me that, I thought, "What 1st grader has a shirt already with just music notes on it?"  Makes no sense.  So we dug out a great shirt from right before Covid that thankfully still kinda fit her (with a cardigan over it 'cause it's freakin' cold out this morning).  It's the "Dancing Bears under a Rainbow" t-shirt that my cousin sent her a couple years ago, straight from Terrapin Crossroads, a Dead-themed club that Phil Lesh opened up in San Rafael years ago (Sadly, looks like it closed during Covid).  Anyway, my cousin sent me one for each of my girls 'cause she knows we cool like that.  So oldest one wore it to school today. 

But she asked, "I don't understand the band name.  Why are they grateful if they're dead?  What do I say when people ask me that at school?"  I though, "Oh shit, good point.  Nobody in your class will understand the name."  While I was fumbling, wife came in with the save, "The band was just really grateful to have some people in their lives before they died.  And they wrote music for those people they loved while they were alive and again when they were dead."  All I could add was, "Your teacher is too young to know, but I promise you some other grownup in your school today will point at your shirt, smile, and say, "Cool Shirt!"  And they may even make this sign (peace).  She thought that was so cool, I hope some 60yo assistant to the assistant principal who is a closet deadhead sees my daughter at lunch and knows that the music will live on after all of us are long gone.

57 years and the music never stopped.  

On 2/25/2022 at 9:16 AM, Lobo said:

csb/ My oldest has "Music Day" at school today.  Extended music class, a live band of dads playing at lunch in the cafeteria, and every other class will try to touch on music in history/Spanish/math/etc.  they were asked to wear "music-related shirts, such as those featuring music notes or names of musicians."  When my wife showed me that, I thought, "What 1st grader has a shirt already with just music notes on it?"  Makes no sense.  So we dug out a great shirt from right before Covid that thankfully still kinda fit her (with a cardigan over it 'cause it's freakin' cold out this morning).  It's the "Dancing Bears under a Rainbow" t-shirt that my cousin sent her a couple years ago, straight from Terrapin Crossroads, a Dead-themed club that Phil Lesh opened up in San Rafael years ago (Sadly, looks like it closed during Covid).  Anyway, my cousin sent me one for each of my girls 'cause she knows we cool like that.  So oldest one wore it to school today. 

But she asked, "I don't understand the band name.  Why are they grateful if they're dead?  What do I say when people ask me that at school?"  I though, "Oh shit, good point.  Nobody in your class will understand the name."  While I was fumbling, wife came in with the save, "The band was just really grateful to have some people in their lives before they died.  And they wrote music for those people they loved while they were alive and again when they were dead."  All I could add was, "Your teacher is too young to know, but I promise you some other grownup in your school today will point at your shirt, smile, and say, "Cool Shirt!"  And they may even make this sign (peace).  She thought that was so cool, I hope some 60yo assistant to the assistant principal who is a closet deadhead sees my daughter at lunch and knows that the music will live on after all of us are long gone.

57 years and the music never stopped.  

You should’ve taught her the mythology behind the name, how it refers to ancient tales about a member of the living righting an injustice done to someone who died, and how that dead spirit returned the favor in gratitude.

I've got a nephew that I spent some time with this past weekend that was looking for some good music.  I've sent him some Grateful Dead and so far he says he's liked what I have sent him.  He just turned 20 a month ago so he is mostly into rap, but he seemed genuinely interested when I explained a little about the band last weekend.  I didn't get into the acid tests or anything like that as this kid isn't into that scene at all.  His older brother is a stoner and should be into them, but I'm not sure if he really is.  I sent him some stuff last year and he said he enjoyed it, but he never asked for more.  His little brother has so we will see where it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamn...this may have been the exact moment their last peak began.  FF to the 2:06 mark when they go Space>The Wheel>Dr Mr Fantasy>Sugar Magnolia.  They were on fucking fire.

FF to 2:22:20 if you really want to see Jerry fully engaged and having a blast!

Edited by Hate

Bob has some dates with the Wolf Bros. in September.  Nobody else in the band shows anything for Autumn, so it could be wide open for an Autumn/Winter tour after an August/September break.  But it's still early, John Mayer may have 100 dates around the world for all we know yet.  But a boy can dream. 

Considering the blazing rate at which Moody Amphitheater is booking incredibly great acts, wouldn't surprise me at all to see them booked here.  Concerts are only booking out until mid-November because they gotta hang back on non-conf. basketball bookings.  So it'll be months before we'd know anything about any possible Dead & Co. shows.

csb/ Dead & Co. and Umphrey's McGee both playing up and down Colorado that same week.  Bassist for Hoobastank texted me and said we gotta sneak away from the wedding buildup in the days before the ceremony and see at least one of these shows.  Yousonofabitch...I'M IN! 

• 2 weeks later...

Browsing some versions of Hard to Handle I came across this color footage from 6/21/71 (Summer Solstice!) in Herouville, France. There must be video of the whole show out there. I’ve found bits and pieces but I haven’t looked that hard. Anyway, this is good footage of Pigpen. And Phil in his sweater and collared shirt makes him look like he just got back from school. And look at that venue. It looks like it’s in someone’s backyard.

Now, if you want to hear something unusual, check out this Hard to Handle from 7/11/69 when Jerry put down his guitar and instead played pedal steel.

https://archive.org/details/gd69-07-11.sbd.hanno.4644.sbeok.shnf/gd69-07-11d1t04.shn

In 1988 I caught a Ripple in Landover, MD. I was still too new to the band to know how big of a deal that was. It was played by the request of a kid in the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I was reminded by a young man from Make-A-Wish who announced a pick for the Patriots in the NFL Draft tonight and totally nailed it. The Make-A-Wish Foundation does good work.

Just listen to the crowd when they launch into this rarity.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

Well, this is something new.

The Grateful Dead Wants To Shake Up Your Salad

https://www.tastingtable.com/852750/the-grateful-dead-wants-to-shake-up-your-salad-with-new-collab/

intro-1651684373.jpg

Dedicated Deadheads are in for a nutritious treat thanks to an unexpected new produce collab. Urban farming pioneers Gotham Greens have teamed up with one of the music world's most iconic bands for a partnership designed to be rock fans' summer jam.

In a press release, the New York City-based produce company announced the debut of Grateful Greens, a leafy greens mix designed in partnership with legendary rock band the Grateful Dead. The limited-edition packaging will contain the company's best-selling Gourmet Medley (with pesticide-free butterhead, green, and red leaf lettuces) and prominently feature the band's iconic Dancing Bears logo. A QR code on the packaging also unlocks a Grateful Dead cooking playlist, salad recipe, and other exclusive content.

The partnership, which the press release explains was born out of a "shared commitment to sustainability, community, and plant-based eating," also aims to give back. For each package of Grateful Greens sold, the duo will plant trees through ForestNation's reforestation programs.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, elguapo said:

Watching Downhill From Here right now, epic! 💀

I was there. The big orange full moon over the pavilion was a sight to see. That Standing on the Moon with the big orange full moon above the pavilion was amazing. And that hill on the lawn is STEEP! Tripping balls it was a little bit scary. 

• Like 1

9/21/72 (Dick’s Picks 36) is a phenomenal show, the 2nd set especially. Cumberland Blues is a straight heater, and It has my favorite Dark Star right now. Something else cool is coming out of Goin Down the Road Feelin Bad Jerry jumps into We Bid You Goodnight briefly before jumping back into NFA Pt 2.

Edited by elguapo
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 hours ago, elguapo said:

9/21/72 (Dick’s Picks 36) is a phenomenal show, the 2nd set especially. Cumberland Blues is a straight heater, and It has my favorite Dark Star right now. Something else cool is coming out of Goin Down the Road Feelin Bad Jerry jumps into We Bid You Goodnight briefly before jumping back into NFA Pt 2.

Yeah, they always played that We Bid You Goodnight segment in GDTRFB. It’s such a great song with a long history. I used to have a YouTube link to the scene where it’s played in the 1940 film The Grapes of Wrath. (Brilliantly made film. Check it out sometime if you’ve never seen it. It’s beautiful.) Sadly that video has since been taken down. I went back and found the scene but this clip starts right after the song was played.

I missed the episode of South Park where they parodied that scene.

Here’s Woodie Guthrie’s version.

And here’s a version by Roy Clark and Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown.

• Like 2

I started listening a while back.  I'm cuing up some LL Rain from some shows for later tonight when it finally starts raining here.  I love sitting on the porch with some bourbon and weed during a storm.  I'll pick a LL Rain and just drift off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've really been digging the early 80's Althea lately.  The first Althea I ever heard was from Without a Net and that has been my favorite for a long time.  But I am starting to like the early 80's versions better.  I posted the 3/14/81 version earlier in this thread and it's probably my favorite now.  I've been checking out a lot of early 80's shows these days just to hear the Altheas.  What a great fucking song!

• Like 1