Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

What is the benefit of subscribing to this over just listening on the archives? 

For $100, no shipping you get 4x3 disc shows (plus 1 bonus disc with the second one) that are remastered & sent out.  All previously unreleased.  I guess it depends if you like the bump in audio quality.  

I like getting them them because I passively get 4 shows a year.  Some of my favorites are shows from years I haven’t explored too much like 11-30-80 and one from July 76.  Buy once, get new Dead through the year.

• Like 1

I enjoy having the physical media even though I convert them into flacs and stream them 90% of the time.  The releases are also higher quality, although the difference is negligible in some cases if there is a high quality Charlie Miller sbd remaster available.  The 71 ABQ show released last year was a big upgrade and is a smoking show.  

I do feel a little silly when I already have the pick in good quality (which has been the case for 4 of the last 7 releases, including 2.26.77).    That said, they have resale value.  The Dave's Picks from the first couple of years of the series are selling for $400 - $500.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 2:03 PM, Druggist said:

For $100, no shipping you get 4x3 disc shows (plus 1 bonus disc with the second one) that are remastered & sent out.  All previously unreleased.  I guess it depends if you like the bump in audio quality.  

I like getting them them because I passively get 4 shows a year.  Some of my favorites are shows from years I haven’t explored too much like 11-30-80 and one from July 76.  Buy once, get new Dead through the year.

Great call on the 11/30/80 show.  I've been listening to it at work today, and it's terrific.  I've been looking for an early 80's show to listen to and this one was perfect.

Fucking awesome show.   John Kadlecik came out for PITB, Scarlet, and Touch of Grey and was magic with Bob.    First set was like the Dead's country/western songs with an almost reggae beat and the bass line from Eternity.  Second set was more typical.   Bob was on point throughout and it was great to really hear him go as the lone guitar.   Tons of energy, enjoyed it even more than the Dead & Co. shows I've been to.   

• Like 2

I have nothing to say other than I fucking love the Grateful Dead! I’m currently listening to the best Wharf Rats on headyversions. How many many other bands can you listen to the same song with several different “versions”? I hope heaven is listening to the Dead for eternity!!!

• Like 2

It’s a Tuesday night and venue looks shitty, but Dallas should be doable.  Roll it into a “business trip” for 3 July and head into the holiday weekend.  

Chicago doesn’t jive with my schedule at all but it’s at Wrigley Field which is enough warrant a concerted effort to make it up for one of the shows, ideally Friday after a trip to the bank.  

So I’m on my porch drinking whiskey and smoking KB (is there any other kind) and listening to the Dead. The whole house is asleep, including the dog, so I’m soliciting suggestions for what to jam to tonight. As y’all know, I’m a Brent Era fan but I’d like something 70’s tonight. I listened to the show Mojo posted about the other night. Anyone out there with a show that I should here tonight?

Too late for the porch,  but the Wall of Sound 74(6/16&18) & Summer 71 (early August ?) Road Trips releases are both great and in a compilation on Spotify.  The 71 one is interesting because outside of singing a few songs (incl. a great Mr Charlie),  Pigpen’s organ is hardly used (or audible) and Keith hasn’t joined yet so it is pretty much a quartet and they are so ‘on’ I don’t miss the keys even a little. 

For today.

Awoke today, felt your side of the bed;
The covers were still warm where you been layin'.
You were gone, oh gone, my heart was filled with dread;
You might not be sleeping here again.
But it's alright cause I love you, and that's not going to change.
Run me around and make me hurt again and again.
But I'll still sing you love songs, written in the letters of your name.
The rain is gonna come, oh it surely looks like rain
Did you ever waken to the sound of street cats making love?
You guess from the cries you were listening to a fight.
Well you know, oh know, haste is the last thing they're thinking of
You know they're only tryin' to make it through the night.
I only want to hold you, I don't want to tie you down
Or fit you in the lines I might've drawn.
It's just that I, oh I, have gotten used to havin' you around.
The landscape would be empty, if you were gone;
But it's alright cause I love you, and that's not going to change.
Run me around and make me hurt again and again.
But I'll still sing you love songs, written in the letter of your name.
The rain is gonna come, oh it surely looks like rain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently listening to 12/11/79 right now as a result of that forum.  Outstanding.  I'm going to have to book mark that place.  It may take the rest of my life to listen to all of the recommendations.  I'm pleasantly surprised that there isn't any snobbery about the different eras on there.  

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I'm currently listening to 12/11/79 right now as a result of that forum.  Outstanding.  I'm going to have to book mark that place.  It may take the rest of my life to listen to all of the recommendations.  I'm pleasantly surprised that there isn't any snobbery about the different eras on there.  

Wait until you dig a little deeper.  There is definitely some good-natured snobbery, particularly with respect to 72-74.  There is also a bit of an over the top anti-77 sentiment there by some of the regulars.

There are some dudes with pretty deep connections to the Dead who post there and there are independent threads on Dave's Picks and other Dead related topics.  That is just the general thread.  The depth of knowledge is almost frightening.  Some real musicians as well.

I've made it to some of the anti-77 posts and I think it's hilarious.  To some degree, I can understand the sentiment though as I've noticed quite a difference in some of the shows depending on the mix and recording.  I'm not a sound engineer, so a lot of the "tracks" talk doesn't mean much to me, but I like to try to figure it out from the context.  A perfect example of the differences in recording and how a show could be "epic" or "ok" depending on what you listen to is the Wharf Rat that I've posted from 7/7/89.  If I listen to it on archive.net, the song is ok, IMO.  If I listen to the song through the youtube video I've posted, the song is amazing to me.  The archive.net version  doesn't have enough Bob in it for me.  I love the way he is using the whammy bar throughout the song...it just blows my mind how he can play that song so completely differently than the way he played it in the 70's and have it be better, IMO.  

But while I have my preferences, I am an equal opportunity Deadhead and will listen to any and all eras and love it.  

22 hours ago, alincoln said:

Wait until you dig a little deeper.  There is definitely some good-natured snobbery, particularly with respect to 72-74.  There is also a bit of an over the top anti-77 sentiment there by some of the regulars.

The snobbery is in favor of 72-74 or against? 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Heavily in favor.  They're not wrong

That's my favorite era too, but I think it's funny that there is snobbery around those years when they coincide with the arrival of the hated Donna.  My guess for the snobs would have been people who think the band was never as good after Pigpen. 

I actually like Donna most of the time.   When she's on, she makes songs better.   But when she's off, boy is she awful. 

Re: Long Strange Trip, I obviously loved the Dead stuff, but I thought the director was way too heavy handed with goofy other footage.  Second time watching the never-ending Frankenstein stuff was just killing me. 

5 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

That's my favorite era too, but I think it's funny that there is snobbery around those years when they coincide with the arrival of the hated Donna.  My guess for the snobs would have been people who think the band was never as good after Pigpen. 

I actually like Donna most of the time.   When she's on, she makes songs better.   But when she's off, boy is she awful. 

Re: Long Strange Trip, I obviously loved the Dead stuff, but I thought the director was way too heavy handed with goofy other footage.  Second time watching the never-ending Frankenstein stuff was just killing me. 

Truth.  She was at her worst when she caterwauled all over parts of songs where Jerry could have been tearing it up on guitar unaccompanied.  But her voice in harmony with the rest of them singing was nice. 

I’m on a They Love Each Other kick tonight for some reason. I fucking love the funky 2/9/73 version. My favorite is still 5/8/77, but damn if that other one isn’t catchy. As a Brent fan I went back and tried to listen to this song when he played, but it’s not an organ song. This song requires a grand piano and Keith is just fan fucking tastic on this.

• Like 1

They just showed Bill Walton and Mickey Hart in the stands taking in the Lakers-Warriors game. 

Edit: I had it on a second screen with the volume down when I first saw them. With the volume up a few minutes later the announcers had just been told who Bill's friend was. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

Well, it’s about time to wrap up another year of being a fan of the greatest “band” that ever lived. I’m going to be in Dripping Springs tomorrow night for a party, so I’m ending the “Grateful” year tonight. I’m leaving 2018 with 10/8/77 from New Mexico. Happy New Year to all of my fellow Deadheads. I love all of you and I love this thread!!

• Like 1

Well goddamn, it’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread and I have no idea why.

My favorite era was 71-74, I Include ‘71 because some of those shows got their hooks in me deep and really opened my eyes to early dead. In late April 1971, there was a five night run at the Fillmore East in nyc. The first show was 4/25/71 and it’s one of my favorite shows of all time. I love Pigs voice, I love the energy of the young dead, even the covers they played...that show has a Second That Emotion that is absolute fire. Sing Me Back Home is my favorite cover the dead did and his is a great one. I have that show on cd and it’s worn out.

Hate - I definitely recommend you listen to these shows (starting with the first obviously) if you’re looking for some non Brent era dead.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grateful-dead/1971/fillmore-east-new-york-ny-43dcff37.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

Well goddamn, it’s been a while since I’ve been on this thread and I have no idea why.

My favorite era was 71-74, I Include ‘71 because some of those shows got their hooks in me deep and really opened my eyes to early dead. In late April 1971, there was a five night run at the Fillmore East in nyc. The first show was 4/25/71 and it’s one of my favorite shows of all time. I love Pigs voice, I love the energy of the young dead, even the covers they played...that show has a Second That Emotion that is absolute fire. Sing Me Back Home is my favorite cover the dead did and his is a great one. I have that show on cd and it’s worn out.

Hate - I definitely recommend you listen to these shows (starting with the first obviously) if you’re looking for some non Brent era dead.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grateful-dead/1971/fillmore-east-new-york-ny-43dcff37.html

The "Ladies and Gentlemen" 4-disc compilation is an excellent summation of the run.  '71 is more inconsistent than 72-74, but it does have many highlights with the aforementioned Fillmore run, the monster 2.18 - 2.19 shows, an all-timer in 8.6 and a bunch of really strong shows on the fall tour including Austin 11.15 and the recently upgraded ABQ 11.17.  

• Like 1