Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

7 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Same guy from dark star, right? Those guys were the best cover band I’ve ever seen back in the day.

Yes, original member up until 2009.  He came on stage when I saw Bobby and the Wolf Bros a few months ago and it was incredible. 

13 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Yes, original member up until 2009.  He came on stage when I saw Bobby and the Wolf Bros a few months ago and it was incredible. 

saw them for the first time at the backyard in october 2001 and they lit that place up...the show they played was from July '74 in Oakland and it was like a GD greatest hits show. They finished a bit early and played a few more songs, including a cover of the Beatles' Revolution that was on fire

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I had never listened to the DSO before just a few weeks ago and I have to say that I am extremely impressed.  I wonder how the Dead feel about them. 

easily the best dead cover band that was out there....to the point that the Dead stole their "Jerry" that mojo hand mentioned above. He toured with them as Further and that (along with their keyboardist dying) was pretty much the end of DSO at that time. There may still be an iteration of the band touring, but it's not the same as it was. 

I wish I was. I’m sitting on my porch drinking whiskey and listening to all of my GD songs on shuffle. Last night was the 26 year anniversary of my first show, so I sat on the porch and got drunk while listening to the show. It is a great Vince era show, imo, but I’m probably a little biased. It was a life changing day and one of those that I would go back and re-live Groundhog Day style if I could.

• Like 1

No, I never made it to see Jerry but I have been to ~10 Further, Other Ones, Dead and Co., etc., shows over the years.

I just don't post in here much because I'm not quite obsessive enough over it to go off the deep end in nerdery. I'm prone to it, and I think that to take the plunge would eventually dampen my enjoyment of things, so I've purposefully kept myself above the fray. Back when I drank, I took the same attitude with craft beer and overall beer snobbery. "Just shut up and enjoy it all for what it is - there is no bad beer" etc. 

I've got about a hundred tapes (and nothing to play them on anymore...) a bunch of Dicks Picks on CD, and all that... 

My favorite songs are the ones about gamblers, scoundrels, and characters (Stagger Lee, Deal, Loser, Jack-a-Row, Dupree's, Monkey and the Engineer, Shakedown, etc.) - not the slow emo mopey ballads that are mainly Bob's purview. 

I would have had a good time at the first Wrigley show, but I much, much, much prefer the setlist from last night to Friday's:

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

I'm just saying, you never see Bill Kreutzmann and Turk Pipkin in the same place at the same time.  And I see both of them more often than most. 

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

Plus Arya will steal your face right off your head

Makes sense since She’s basically the Tennessee Jed of Westeros.  

On 6/18/2019 at 11:16 PM, Hate said:

So how was the show?

It was outstanding. Very few mopey ballads. 

One of my buddies had a bunch of acid, a DMT vape pen, and some other assorted mischief, but I'm currently looking to make a career change and am studying for a drug test, so I failed to partake in anything whatsoever. I ate Jelly Belly's by the handful though, and occasionally slipped in a few of the Bean-Boozled flavors into my hands when periodically offering some to my companions. After eating what was almost certainly a Spoiled Milk Jelly Belly, one buddy told me how much he hated artificial Coconut flavor. 

Good times... 

• Like 1

Well it’s  like Jerry said, not everybody likes artificial coconut flavored jelly bellys.  But the people that do, really like artificial coconut flavored jelly belly’s.  

Guest Lobo

So 35 guys with attended Toy Story 4 without taking their kids/or they have no kids.  But nobody attended the Dead & Co. show?  Got it.  Fucking weirdos. 

So 35 guys with attended Toy Story 4 without taking their kids/or they have no kids.  But nobody attended the Dead & Co. show?  Got it.  Fucking weirdos. 

Great show. Liked the venue. Easy Uber Access. No traffic and lots of room in the venue. Security was a breeze. Shakedown was meh. They didn’t even scan our tickets so I went back out and made a few miracles.

Mellow set. But excellent

It was hot near the stage
But nice and breezy on the hill and unusually cool in the shade. (We got lucky)
Black Peter was amazing
Encore of Black Muddy River has me nerding out on that song. Perfect ending with the Trinity right there
Half empty by then close to the stage and easy to move up

Part of my crew is going to Boulder
It was weird only going to one show

I’d go back to a Dallas show especially in the fall
  • Like 1

I didn't get a chance to post it, but yesterday was the 30th anniversary of my 2nd favorite show.  The 7/7/89 show from JFK Stadium in Philly is outstanding. The Iko Iko, Ramble on Rose, Loser, Let it Grow, Blow Away (probably the best ever as Brnet really goes off during the jam),  Scarlet>Fire, and Wharf Rat really stand out.  The Wharf Rat is, imo, the best ever.  I love the way Bobby and Brent play on this song.  I know it's more popular to think that Wharf Rat had peaked by the late 70's , but this version is outstanding and I like the organ on this song better than the piano.  The night ended with a terrific Knockin n Heaven's Door.  I know it will be a day late, but I will have some drinks tonight and listen to this show.  I had just gotten back from a Horseshoe Bay>San Antonio>The Woodlands road trip last night and was just too tired to drink last night. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:39 PM, Lobo said:

Just saw this.  

I was there.  Got there late due to work and missed "Bertha" which is a fave of mine.

This was my first Dead show, and I had a great time.  

Just now, Hate said:

Have you been a fan for a while or did you just get into them recently?

I've been a casual fan for a long time, but I've never really been anything close to a true Deadhead.  One of my best friends from UT days, who's a drummer I've played with since that time, has always been a huge fan.  So we'd occasionally work GD songs into sets for different shows.  Recently, his daughter turned 18 and his wife turned 50, and we threw a big party for them where we were the band and about half the set were Dead tunes.  So I started getting into them a bit more.  He was always trying to get me to go and I just never managed to make it happen. 

Then last weekend, completely randomly, another friend from a completely different circle wanted to see Dead & Co. for his birthday and surprised a group of us with tix.  So I went and really enjoyed it.  It was the first time I really "got" it.  Great show, great vibe from the crowd and appreciated the interaction between the older guys on stage and Mayer.  

Funny thing, I ran into the drummer, his wife and son (daughter was at UT orientation) within five minutes of entering the venue.  It was a grand time.  I'll be there the next time they come through.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've been a casual fan for a long time, but I've never really been anything close to a true Deadhead.  One of my best friends from UT days, who's a drummer I've played with since that time, has always been a huge fan.  So we'd occasionally work GD songs into sets for different shows.  Recently, his daughter turned 18 and his wife turned 50, and we threw a big party for them where we were the band and about half the set were Dead tunes.  So I started getting into them a bit more.  He was always trying to get me to go and I just never managed to make it happen. 

Then last weekend, completely randomly, another friend from a completely different circle wanted to see Dead & Co. for his birthday and surprised a group of us with tix.  So I went and really enjoyed it.  It was the first time I really "got" it.  Great show, great vibe from the crowd and appreciated the interaction between the older guys on stage and Mayer.  

Funny thing, I ran into the drummer, his wife and son (daughter was at UT orientation) within five minutes of entering the venue.  It was a grand time.  I'll be there the next time they come through.  

Dude.   Yes.   Finally, someone from the guitar thread is in.  We have much to discuss. 

• Like 1

Saw Dead & Co at Wrigley a few weeks ago.  It rained all day but stopped about an hour before the show and just left a kind of glow of light mist in the air.  It was about 55 degrees.  Great show music wise and sitting in the outfield at Wrigley in that weather made it even better.  Can't wait to see list of shows for next year (I think only the Mexico shows are announced) and pick a cool spot (hoping for Fenway or the Hollywood Bowl or somewhere else cool in CA).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mary Tyler Moore was smoking hot back in the day.  On another note, I've been listening to some of the Dead and Company's they post through their Facebook group and the Eyes of the World from 6/22/19 at Gillette Stadium may be my favorite song they have played.  Jeff and John really play around back and forth like Jerry and Brent used to do throughout the second jam and it's fantastic.  While it will never be the same, this incarnation really seems to be getting their legs under them.  If the old guys can stay healthy, they may really start to hit their stride in the upcoming fall tour.

• Like 1