4K HDR - is it worth it?

I occasionally stream 4k hdr from Amazon and it doesn't pop out at me. Netflix has it on like, what, half of their titles, and if I dont pay attention I can't tell either.

This is on 65" Samsung set sitting fairly close. 

Supposed watching 4k from Blu-ray makes all the difference in the world, compared to the compression used in streaming. 

Either way I watch plenty of stuff as 1080p rips and totally satisfied with that.

4k is pretty much standard now on new TV's so it's not like you're paying extra for it

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The LG OLED will have the same guts for cheaper than the SONY. All you get with the A1E is superior picture processing, but the nuts and bolts are the same (Sony buys OLED panels from LG)

I have the LG and yes it is worth it. I would save the money and not get the Sony. 

I'd ride it out a bit longer.  It's not worth it unless you are a videophile or you'd just as soon spend that 2k on something frivolous.  What size is your current TV?  I think the biggest thing with me was upgrading in size.  I put my 45' 10 year old TV down for a 65' 4k HDR, and it's night and day, but I mainly contribute that to size. 

Edited by Gene Parmesan

1 hour ago, William_Cannon said:

Learn me about upscaling... would it just be from a 4K disc player with up scaling capability?

Flat panel displays only have one native resolution.  No matter what you feed it, the TV will display it in its native resolution (or 3840 x 2160 in the case of a 4K display). 

Some BluRay players and receivers can do the upscaling of the source material, too.  What you want to know is how good of a job your TV does at upscaling things vs. your BluRay player or receiver.  Figure out which one does it best and let that component do the heavy lifting.  If that component happens to be the BluRay player, then make sure the receiver (if in the chain) is set to let the signal pass through. 

Edited by dcbc

On 5/28/2019 at 9:44 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I'd ride it out a bit longer.  

so...  you are saying I should wait to upgrade my picture tube tv?

Question: does buying one of these smart looking tvs make the women on "the view" sound smarter?  otherwise, there has to be something wrong with my tv

TCL 6 Series (pretty bad viewing angles and somewhat of a screen lottery) -> Vizio Quantum (gotta play screen lottery) -> Samsung QLED/Sony X850/900/950 -> Sony/LG OLED.

I have a 2018 model 65” Samsung QLED and it’s freakin great. Not quite an OLED but it’s pretty damn good, especially at the 2018 closeout price I paid.