2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

25 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's hilarious that you got so offended from someone speculating on a sports board about an injury that happens in basketball all the time. When a knee bends like Klay's did last night, ligaments are almost 100% torn. Did my speculation somehow distract you that much from the game being played?

It was more a reaction to the culmination of the last few days around here than anything specifically you said.

Watching will Cain show and I’m surprised at the narrative “the raptors showed you don’t need 3 stars to win a title”. I mean I’d celebrate a championship no matter what but let’s not fool ourselves and think the raptors would have won with a fully healthy kd and Thompson and boogie and even looney. And it still went 6 games. 

Next year will be wide open because of those injuries extending through next season and kawhi changing teams. Next year will be fun to watch.

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Watching will Cain show and I’m surprised at the narrative “the raptors showed you don’t need 3 stars to win a title”. I mean I’d celebrate a championship no matter what but let’s not fool ourselves and think the raptors would have won with a fully healthy kd and Thompson and boogie and even looney. And it still went 6 games. 

Next year will be wide open because of those injuries extending through next season and kawhi changing teams. Next year will be fun to watch.

"You don't need 3 stars to win a title, just 2 stars, an insanely deep bench, and 8 or 9 plus defenders that can also shoot the 3"

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m just saying what Will Cain said. You definitely need a team and deep bench. But had the warriors been healthy I would have said warriors in 5 maybe 6. 

I don't disagree with that, but the Ws are the most stacked team in NBA history. You need a bit more to beat them than what a typical championship would require.  

I just think it's funny how he's saying you don't need stars to win a title. The Raptors had a championship caliber roster from the beginning of the season. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't disagree with that, but the Ws are the most stacked team in NBA history. You need a bit more to beat them than what a typical championship would require.  

I just think it's funny how he's saying you don't need stars to win a title. The Raptors had a championship caliber roster from the beginning of the season. 

They needed KD to be out and Klay to go down to have a chance to win it. With KD it's a total mismatch and the Ws win in 5 or 6.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I kind of want to put this on a t-shirt.

I gotta say, as the biggest Steph homer on here, I had no expectation of that shot going in last night. None. Didn't even bother to hold my breath. That's not too say that I don't think he's clutch. He's had dozens of huge moments in huge playoff games throughout his career dating back to college. But I think there's a big difference between hitting a clutch shot with a minute left in the flow of the offense than there is a shot on the final possession. It takes a different breed to sit in that huddle, know they're drawing up a play for you to either be the hero or a bum (and nothing in between), and executing calmly. He's obviously come up small in those situations so far; it doesn't help that he can't get to the rim at will or just shoot over guys like some of the other names on that list, but that's no excuse for the best shooter to ever play the game.

He did make the go-ahead And-1 layup with 4 seconds left in last year's Game 1 (before J.R. Smith's dumbfuckery), but I guess that doesn't count because the shot itself didn't put them ahead, the free throw did.

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I kind of want to put this on a t-shirt.

It's really amazing to see that many great players well below their normal shooting averages, which I believe shows the extreme pressure/high defensive intensity of the opponent/etc of making this kind of shot.  As great as Steph is, (and you are probably comparing him to Top 20ish all-time type players as a reasonable starting reference point) you have to at some point hold this against him overall.

Just for those curious, I do have one stat but it's only go ahead shots in the playoffs in the last FIVE seconds of 4Q/OT in playoffs, not 24 seconds.

Michael Jordan - 5-11, 45%

LeBron James - 7-15, 47%

I don't recall many other players, but these two with this volume I think were in a class of their own.

It's really amazing to see that many great players well below their normal shooting averages, which I believe shows the extreme pressure/high defensive intensity of the opponent/etc of making this kind of shot.  As great as Steph is, (and you are probably comparing him to Top 20ish all-time type players as a reasonable starting reference point) you have to at some point hold this against him overall.

The NBA pantheon is one of my favorite dumb sports topics to discuss or think about. I love watching Steph play and think he’s cemented himself as a Top 20 player all time. This finals, he had an opportunity to elevate to an even higher level ala LeBron in 2016, but just couldn’t get it done despite being awesome in 4 of the 6 games. For what it’s worth, I think my Top 20 would be:

1. MJ
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
4. Russel
5. Magic
6. Wilt
7. Duncan
8. Bird
—- (drop off)
9. Kobe
10. Jerry West
11. Shaq/Hakeem
12. Hakeem/Shaq (I go back and forth)
13. Oscar
14. Moses
15. Dirk
16. Durant (I think he’ll pass 13-15 in time)
17. Elgin
18. Curry
19. Havlicek
20. Dr. J
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

The NBA pantheon is one of my favorite dumb sports topics to discuss or think about. I love watching Steph play and think he’s cemented himself as a Top 20 player all time. This finals, he had an opportunity to elevate to an even higher level ala LeBron in 2016, but just couldn’t get it done despite being awesome in 4 of the 6 games. For what it’s worth, I think my Top 20 would be:

1. MJ
2. LeBron
3. Kareem
4. Russel
5. Magic
6. Wilt
7. Duncan
8. Bird
—- (drop off)
9. Kobe
10. Jerry West
11. Shaq/Hakeem
12. Hakeem/Shaq (I go back and forth)
13. Oscar
14. Moses
15. Dirk
16. Durant (I think he’ll pass 13-15 in time)
17. Elgin
18. Curry
19. Havlicek
20. Dr. J

I'd probably have to take too much time right now to actually put together a very precise Top 20 list, (I always feel like I am forgetting someone) but at first glance I can see a lot of players in similar positions to where I would put them.  I'd definitely have your Top 3 the same way, and I kind of have those three with a tier gap over the rest of the players and probably another tier gap at around the Top 10 or so.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:58 AM, MrBig said:

GS got cheap with their training staff and look what happened to their best players. They weren’t falling apart like this last year.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:38 AM, Stunns38 said:

Explain?

The previous trainer for the past few years was Chelsea Lane. She was the blonde with the short haircut. She asked for more money last summer after the back-to-back run, but the Warriors didn’t want to pay her. The Hawks gave her the money she wanted so she went to Atlanta. The Warriors hired Rick Celebrini to replace her this season. 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

They were talking about this on the radio 15 minutes ago with almost no details other than gunshots, people being trampled.  I’ve been looking around for any reporting on it, and this is the first linkable thing I have seen.