Yoga Chick Lost in Hawaii -- Story Seems Off

MaybeACoordinator

Yeah I'm glad they found her and she's safe and shit but there's a lot of shit that doesn't add up.

The yoga teacher who spent 17 days lost and injured in a Hawaiin jungle has recalled the moment she started “bawling” as she knew she was finally getting saved.

Amanda Eller, 35, had a broken leg and was growing dangerously malnourished as she lived off wild fruits and even moths after getting lost during a jog in Maui on May 8.

“I was getting so skinny that I was really starting to doubt if I could survive,” she admitted to The New York Times.

“I wanted to give up. But the only option I had was life or death,” she told the Times, calling it a “spiritual journey.”

“I heard this voice that said, ‘If you want to live, keep going.’”

Eller, who had left her water bottle, cellphone and wallet in her car as she only planned a short jog, said she would sleep in the mud — and even spent a night in the den of a wild boar.

No woman I've ever dated, married, or so much as walked to the end of a driveway with will walk even that far without taking a dang water bottle with them. 

Makawao Forest Preserve is 2000 acres, 3.1 sq. mi. Memorial Park in Houston is 2/3 that size. I've been to Makawao Forest. There are trails all through it, and the undergrowth isn't especially dense. If you holler, somebody's gonna hear you.

“It’s been a really significant spiritual journey that I was guided on. There were times of total fear and loss and wanting to give up, and it did come down to life or death and I had to choose.

“I chose life.”

I chose a book / movie deal about my "spiritual journey."

“Seeing the way the community of Maui came together — people that know me, people that don’t know me — all came together just under the idea of helping one person make it out of the woods alive … It just warms my heart,’ she said.

“Just seeing the power of prayer, the power of love. When everybody combines their efforts is incredible. It can move mountains.

“That’s what this was all for. This was all about us coming together for a greater purpose of community and love and appreciation for life.”

She insisted, “I have the most gratitude and respect and appreciation — I can’t even put it in words — for the people who have helped me, for the people who have prayed for me … for the people all over the world who wanted to be a part of this for the greater good.

“I appreciate it more than words can say.

“It’s such a beautiful exchange of energy among people for all the right reasons.”

Or maybe she concocted the whole thing to raise err'body's chee or whatever. Or why not both that and the book / movie deal?

Or maybe she's just crazy, like every other yoga instructor on the planet. Hawaiian ones probably take it to a whole other level.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 2

It is weird.  Saying "I'll just leave my phone and water bottle, I'm only going for a short jog." and then "Hey, I think I'll go off trail into the dense, steep jungl!" doesn't seem like a normal progression of thought.

12 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Spent the night in the den of a wild boar. How did she know this? Did he spoon up next to her in the night, or vice-versa?

Might have been the pole up her ass or the apple in her mouth...

1 hour ago, Homesickhorn said:

Spent the night in the den of a wild boar. How did she know this? Did he spoon up next to her in the night, or vice-versa?

Of course she knew that.  The yoga instructor exam has a rigorous section on sleeping habits of cloven-hoofed animals.  

• Like 2

I just looked up Pedernales Falls State Park and it's just over 5,000 acres.  So how does this woman get suck in an area less than half that size for over two weeks?  That can't even be possible.

And who was on these search teams?  3.1 square miles?  They didn't have one guy who could whistle really loudly?

Edited by TexArcher

I thought the story was off. Among all the weirdness, she lost her shoes two days in and didn’t know what happened to them. How is that even possible.

Looking at a trail map, there’s not many spots where you can walk more than 200 yards without hitting a trail.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/26/amanda-eller-hawaii-forest-found-alive-only-option-life-death

...said Eller, 35, a physical therapist and yoga instructor.

—-

Eller told the Times she had intended to go on a short walk. She went off the path to rest and when she resumed hiking, she got turned around.

“I wanted to go back the way I’d come but my gut was leading me another way – and I have a very strong gut instinct,” Eller said. “So, I said: ‘My car is this way and I’m just going to keep going until I reach it.’”

7 hours ago, pops said:

Yeah.... Something isn't right. Look and the sun and follow it to the sound of the ocean. If the mountains are getting bigger, you are going the wrong way. 

Maui isn't that big. 

Accountability?

Reason?

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/26/amanda-eller-hawaii-forest-found-alive-only-option-life-death

...said Eller, 35, a physical therapist and yoga instructor.

—-

Eller told the Times she had intended to go on a short walk. She went off the path to rest and when she resumed hiking, she got turned around.

“I wanted to go back the way I’d come but my gut was leading me another way – and I have a very strong gut instinct,” Eller said. “So, I said: ‘My car is this way and I’m just going to keep going until I reach it.’”

That's a woman all right.

A woman got lost? Yeah, that sounds totally implausible. Because women are known for their sense of direction. 

If it was a hoax, how would that have worked? Were the police in on it? Or did she hide from them for three days until they called off the search? What was the plan if they didn't call off the search? Were the rescuers in on it who were hired by the family to continue the search? Without her cell phone, was the rescue time and location set up in advance? How many people were involved in the conspiracy? And for how long? And for what end? A book or movie deal? Lost hikers, skiers, children, etc. get rescued from time to time. I don't recall seeing book and movie deals come out about them. Seems like a risky venture for an unlikely payoff. 

She really did fracture a limb. She required medical attention. Look at her feet. Does a woman intentionally do that to herself?

hawaii-6-ht-er-190525_hpEmbed_2_3x4_992.

How much did this whole exercise cost the family? They hired private rescue teams. They were offering a $50,000 reward. I haven't followed the story all that closely other than seeing a piece about it on CBS News over the weekend. But if her story has holes, I'd say the hoax theory has just as many. Maybe she's just a flake who got lost in the woods. 

• Like 1

Could just be stupid lady, but the facts don’t line up. 

If it was to be a short run such that you felt comfortable leaving without water or phone, why did you need a rest?

if you needed a rest, why did you leave the trail?

since you left the trail, why didn’t you go back to it?

if she really did just get lost, I’m not surprised she couldn’t employ techniques to get herself out. But if there are paths all over the place as stated upthread, she should have accidentally found one and followed it. 

But then there’s the rescue parties. They must have covered the entire area during the search. 

The moth eating...she eat all the fruit in the forest?  She was only gone 17 days and had at least some fruit; no need to resort to eating bugs. 

• Like 1

Um yeah looking at the map, it sure seems like walking in any direction for a matter of minutes would lead you to the trail path. 

There's a fucking spa and what looks to be a large road and neighborhood like 500 feet to the west.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You couldn’t get lost in here if you tried  Makawao+Forest+Reserve+Trail+map?format=

Not buying her story, but the topography seems steep in areas so trails in close proximity to each other could be pretty far apart when terrain between then is taken onto account.  I can't tell what the increments of the topo lines are.  1', 10' ?

I think I figured it out. She has somehow found a way to invest in this public place. People will now go there in droves wondering how this moron managed to get lost. Profit! Or, she's just stupid. I dunno. 

Edited by Agent 13