2019 NCAA Regionals

The 16 regional sites, with host institutions and records are as follows: 

•    Athens, Georgia – Georgia (44-15)
•    Atlanta, Georgia – Georgia Tech (41-17)
•    Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (37-24)
•    Chapel Hill, North Carolina – North Carolina (42-17)
•    Corvallis, Oregon – Oregon St. (36-18-1)
•    Fayetteville, Arkansas – Arkansas (41-17)
•    Greenville, North Carolina – East Carolina (43-15)
•    Los Angeles, California – UCLA (47-8)
•    Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (43-15)
•    Lubbock, Texas – Texas Tech (39-17)
•    Morgantown, West Virginia – West Virginia (37-20)
•    Nashville, Tennessee – Vanderbilt (49-10)
•    Oxford, Mississippi – Ole Miss (37-25)
•    Stanford, California – Stanford (41-11)
•    Starkville, Mississippi – Mississippi St. (46-13)
•    Stillwater, Oklahoma – Oklahoma St. (35-18)

Full field announced tomorrow.  Fuck Waco...LOlz.

Are they even doing that this year?   er.  Tomorrow when d1baseball.com does the annual road to Quahog bullshit,  You know they are going to put Texas winning it all ala NIT.

:(

Edited by petscii

8 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

i know its not going to happen but aggy in lubbock would be great.

I would love to see this.  aggy thinks that being a #2 in Lubbock is an easy deal for them cause sec sec sec.  Tech would wipe them off the field.  In fact I bet aggy doesn't make a Super at all.

47 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

I would love to see this.  aggy thinks that being a #2 in Lubbock is an easy deal for them cause sec sec sec.  Tech would wipe them off the field.  In fact I bet aggy doesn't make a Super at all.

Loathe aggy,   but they have excellent pitching which makes them formidable in a Regional.    Hope they go to UCLA.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So zero non-conference road wins gets you a #13 overall seed.

Mike Martin gets a parting gift.  TCU gets a gift for????

Sorry i'm not watching it but how did they get that when they weren't announced as a regional site yesterday?

23 minutes ago, Homercles said:

How is GT the #3 seed? All these conference pairings in the SR make no sense, weird draw this year.

Agreed on both these.  GT #3 is bullshit.  And all the conference potential Supers is stupid and on purpose.  The back half of the top 16 seeds is hard to figure as well.  Ole Miss and LSU were on the bubble but are 12 and 13 now?  WVA got screwed not heir seeding.

Edited by Moby Ric

The NCAA went to their normal playbook in screwing over the PAC and putting UCLA and Oregon St in the same super...but if #1 seeds hold there would also two SEC supers, a Big 12 super, and an ACC super.  Agreed, weird bracket.

Edited by WBT

33 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Feel like the Pokes got shafted, #9 seed paired with Lubbock?

yeah, I’d much rather they have the Top 2 teams in a conference to where they would not meet again until Omaha.

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

UCSB should have gotten a regional.

Had to make room for the 6th place SEC school.

Man the NCAA considers a SEC participation trophy the greatest award you can win. You think winning the Big West and only losing 9 games is more impressive than finishing 6th in the SEC? What a joke. Hilarious. How delusional are you?

A&M did a good job finding the league where failure and mediocrity are celebrated and NCAA tournament bid is the reward for last place.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 4

Good article from Baseball America.  Excerpts only,  full article is worth a read for info on all the Regionals.

Also,   2018 NCAA Baseball Commitee Selection Members.    Not sure if tenure is for 1 or 2 years,  can't find info on 2019.    Someone who uses twitter may ask Kendall.

The selection committee on Monday revealed the 2019 NCAA Tournament bracket and it delivered one big surprise among the at-large bids, selecting Texas Christian as the last team in the field ahead of teams such as Central Florida, Houston, Missouri and Texas State.

TCU finished the season 32-26 and ranked No. 59 in RPI, the worst of any at-large team and below Arizona, Brigham Young, Houston, Texas State, UCF and UC Irvine, all teams also considered to be on the bubble.

But the Horned Frogs went 14-15 against Big 12 competition and reached the semifinals of the conference tournament. They also had a dozen wins against top-50 opponents, more than any of the other bubble teams, and won 16 games away from Fort Worth.

That rationale – an emphasis on top-50 wins and not on RPI – also seemed to drive the selection committee’s decision to award a home regional to Mississippi, which was announced Sunday night. The Rebels ranked No. 22 in RPI, typically outside the range necessary for an SEC team to host, but the Rebels went 20-19 against top-50 opponents. No team in the country played more games against top-50 competition and their 20 wins in those games were far more than Miami (15), North Carolina State (11) and Texas A&M (14), the other teams that were in the hosting race.

That kind of emphasis is somewhat of a departure for the committee, which at times in the past has used RPI as a crutch. But in a year where the RPI always felt a little off – Oregon State and Stanford have never fared well and Auburn and Tennessee maintained top-20 RPIs despite having losing records in the SEC – going away from a strict reliance on RPI was probably necessary.

Most of the rest of the field aligned with Baseball America’s final projections, which had 63 of the 64 teams correct for the third year in a row. The selection committee seeded Georgia Tech at No. 3, higher than had been expected, but, again the Yellow Jackets fared better in top-50 wins (19) than in RPI . 😎

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-analysis/

NCAA Division I Baseball Committee 2018

Dave Blank, Elon University.Mike Bobinski, Purdue University.Mike Buddie, Furman University.Chris Del Conte, University of Texas.Joe Karlgaard, Rice University.Steve Robertello, California State University, Fresno.Benjamin Shove, Northeast Conference.Scott Sidwell, University of San Francisco.Ray Tanner, University of South Carolina, Columbia  Whit Babcock, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Aug2018DIMBA_CommReport_20180831.pdf

44 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Had to make room for the 6th place SEC school.

Man the NCAA considers a SEC participation trophy the greatest award you can win. You think winning the Big West and only losing 9 games is more impressive than finishing 6th in the SEC? What a joke. Hilarious. How delusional are you?

A&M did a good job finding the league where failure and mediocrity are celebrated and NCAA tournament bid is the reward for last place.

Who did UCSB play that was any good? In a normal year, sweeping Long Beach and Missouri State and winning the series against Fullerton would be really impressive, but not this year. It’s not their fault that they tried to schedule somewhat hard, but those teams hit the skids, but they probably could’ve played more than 1 PAC-12 team in the midweek. At best you can say they played several “not bad” teams, but then they also lost  a weekend series to UC Riverside.

And Ole Miss shouldn’t be hosting either, fwiw

4 hours ago, WBT said:

The NCAA went to their normal playbook in screwing over the PAC and putting UCLA and Oregon St in the same super...but if #1 seeds hold there would also two SEC supers, a Big 12 super, and an ACC super.  Agreed, weird bracket.

that's one way the guarantee the SEC gets highly represented in Omaha.

Make em fucking earn it.   I can't stand the built-in shenanigans for the perpetual circle jerk.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

The fuck is this???!?!  If you're emphasizing top-50 wins, you are emphasizing RPI.  What do you think that top 50 is ranked by?

Whether or not they play in the SEC...

Edited by slorch

Louisville (RPI 9) and Tech (11) were the two teams outside the top 8 that got SR slots ahead of OSU. Tech I can see as they swept us but Louisville feels like a conference/market play. I’m more surprised at Tech/OSU being paired in the SR than I am at Louisville getting the nod...in 2016 we had to go all the way to SCar for the SR, so it certainly wasn’t any travel considerations.

I’m not upset, gotta play the hand you’re dealt, and I’ll tip my hat to Tech if they beat us 5/5 or 5/6 tries this season...but it’s the usual ncaa ‘black box whose rules constantly change’ you see with basketball seeding or selection committee crap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

i dont know i just dont have a great feeling about Tech. maybe i didn't watch enough this year and im totally wrong.

Well let's break it down.  First they have to get out of their own regional which looks pretty tough.  Then, past a red hot OK St (going to go ahead and assume OK St wins since aggy not winning that region, they suck at hitting the ball) to make it to Omaha, then they either face last years National Champs or the #1 overall seed to keep on going.  So I would say it is a uphill battle for them.

11 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

i dont know i just dont have a great feeling about Tech. maybe i didn't watch enough this year and im totally wrong.

8 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Well let's break it down.  First they have to get out of their own regional which looks pretty tough.  Then, past a red hot OK St (going to go ahead and assume OK St wins since aggy not winning that region, they suck at hitting the ball) to make it to Omaha, then they either face last years National Champs or the #1 overall seed to keep on going.  So I would say it is a uphill battle for them.

Texas Tech had the best pitching, short maybe of Stanford, that I recall Texas facing this past season and some murderers in the heart of the lineup.  They should be a very tough out unless they just choke it away.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Tech really has a lot of talent IMO.    However, they are severely lacking something of an intangible that keeps them from being a really quality team.  I'll be surprised if they even make it out of this regional.

20 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

They of course did sweep OK State during OSU's amazing month of unstoppable awesomeness.  I'm not guaranteeing Tech will do anything in particular, but I'm not sure why people have lost sight of the fact that Tech finished the regular season by winning 13 out of 16, including taking 5 out of 6 from the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the league (and including sweeping TCU who also made it in to postseason). 

The Big 12 tournament suddenly became a lot more important in the eyes of a lot of people this year, and I don't quite get it.  IIRC, Tech didn't do well in the league tournament in any of the years they've made the CWS.

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

They of course did sweep OK State during OSU's amazing month of unstoppable awesomeness.  I'm not guaranteeing Tech will do anything in particular, but I'm not sure why people have lost sight of the fact that Tech finished the regular season by winning 13 out of 16, including taking 5 out of 6 from the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the league (and including sweeping TCU who also made it in to postseason). 

The Big 12 tournament suddenly became a lot more important in the eyes of a lot of people this year, and I don't quite get it.  IIRC, Tech didn't do well in the league tournament in any of the years they've made the CWS.

I think our run started after the Tech series. We had just swept Texas, but before that we dropped series to Kansas and WVU. After being swept by Tech, we went on to sweep defending champs Oregon State in Corvallis. Our post Tech record was 11-2. We were 7-1 regular season thereafter, with the only loss being a one-run extra inning loss to OU, and 4-1 in the conference tourney. I'd like to think the Tech sweep lit a fire under our ass and it's shown ever since.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, 'stache said:

I think our run started after the Tech series. We had just swept Texas, but before that we dropped series to Kansas and WVU. After being swept by Tech, we went on to sweep defending champs Oregon State in Corvallis. Our post Tech record was 11-2 (7-1 regular season (the only loss an extra inning loss to OU), and 4-1 conference tourney). I'd like to think the Tech sweep lit a fire under our ass and it's shown ever since.

I'm not running down OSU at all.  I just don't get why people, mostly Tech fans, think Tech had a lackluster season, or lackluster end of the season.

32 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm not running down OSU at all.  I just don't get why people, mostly Tech fans, think Tech had a lackluster season, or lackluster end of the season.

I think the tournament was important this year because both Tech and OSU were on the bubble for a national seed. Some OSU fans think we should have gotten the 8 since we won the conference tourney and Tech didn't even make the finals. I personally think both should have gotten national seeds and one of the SEC teams should have been left out.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think the tournament was important this year because both Tech and OSU were on the bubble for a national seed. Some OSU fans think we should have gotten the 8 since we won the conference tourney and Tech didn't even make the finals. I personally think both should have gotten national seeds and one of the SEC teams should have been left out.

Again, I really don't get why anyone thinks the conference tournament title is more important than the regular season title.   I think if the roles were reversed, OSU fans would scoff at this logic.

I do agree that OSU should've gotten a top 8 seed, though, and pairing us as the 8 and 9 is just stupid.

It's always like this. They did the same thing several years ago when we won the regular season and TCU won the tournament. All the talk was about how amazing TCU was.

Again, I really don't get why anyone thinks the conference tournament title is more important than the regular season title.   I think if the roles were reversed, OSU fans would scoff at this logic.
I do agree that OSU should've gotten a top 8 seed, though, and pairing us as the 8 and 9 is just stupid.

Fortunately for TT, the committee agrees with you. As do I. And any OSU fan who is capable of taking off the orange tinted glasses. Actually I don’t think hardly any OSU fans thought we should get TT’s spot. You swept us and won the more important title. And you finished hot. We wanted Louisville’s spot. Hell, without the ass kicking wake up call you guys have us, I doubt we’d even be in this conversation. So thank you for that. Hope we get to Lubbock to try to redeem ourselves. I’d have rather done a three game series vs TT in Omaha. Though if you guys want to have a bad weekend and let us get the Super at hone, that’d be cool to. For us. Not so much you.

45 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I don’t care what happens.... house money, we shouldn’t have made it. Pumped. And to the Tech guy, you didn’t sweep us. Pretty sure we won game 1

Lot of chatter Frogs are going to save Lodolo for Saturday.  If true, bold move with Cal throwing Jared Horn.  That was going to be a hell of a matchup.  Of course, Williamson is good too and like you said house money and all.

What will be interesting to watch is if TCU loses to Cal and Arkansas beats Central Connecticut, will Schloss hold Lodolo again for game 3 with the risk that he never plays his best player?