Tropical Island

Incredulity

8 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

OP didn’t specify anything other than great weather and relaxing 

With the addition of traveling with kids under 10.  So I would greatly prefer something “tame” in regards to overall atmosphere and local political unrest 

59 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Wife got ahold of a costco brochure so she is fascinated with over water bungalow in Bora Bora.  Anyone?

Many years ago. It was great but it’s changed a lot. Much more commercial now.  Plus it’s a hell of a long way to go with kids.  

Caribbean I’d look at St Barth’s, St John, St Kitts, Roatan, Ambergris Caye, the BVI, Providenciales, Anguilla and Isla Mujeres or Holbox. 

15 hours ago, Incredulity said:

With the addition of traveling with kids under 10.  So I would greatly prefer something “tame” in regards to overall atmosphere and local political unrest 

There is no political unrest in Aruba.  Spent a week there in October at the Ritz.  It was very "tame"

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Just do San Pedro Belize

Yep- Easy flight.  Small airport. Fast customs - All a plus with kids.

Make sure to take Mayan or Tropic Air from BZE to San Pedro and not the water taxi.  They'll love the 14min flight and one will probably get to fly as co-pilot.

Get a 2br condo that has pool and beach access.

Plenty to do to occupy kids and Ambergis Caye is safe and easy.

1/2 day easy fishing trip is $250 plus tip - then take the kids to lunch where they'll cook their catch.

Hell, they'll enjoy ridding in the golf cart everywhere as much as the beach/pool.

13 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Grand Cayman might be an option.   Relatively short flight from Houston or DFW.   

This. Easy flight and good for small kids. Snorkeling off the beach, Stingray City, the blowholes, the turtle center, etc. all will keep them entertained and you are on a fairly developed island. They also take American currency and speak English.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

This. Easy flight and good for small kids. Snorkeling off the beach, Stingray City, the blowholes, the turtle center, etc. all will keep them entertained and you are on a fairly developed island. They also take American currency and speak English.

Yep, they take a lot of American currency....  but yeah good family choice with lots to do.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

17 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

We really enjoyed South Seas at Captiva last year but not sure how weather is in winter. We went in June. 

Water will be cool in December, but the weather will be perfect. Our kids still swim in the ocean when we are down over Christmas, but I’m not going out.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, they take a lot of American currency....  but yeah good family choice with lots to do.

We rented a town house in Rum Point and it was extremely reasonable. We just drove over to 7MB a couple of times to let the kids snorkel there, but Rum Point is the way to go. Crowds were extremely low that far out and we were on the protected bay where they could kayak. I forgot to mention starfish point is up there and our kids went there almost every day.

I'm taking my kids to Belize this summer.  I've been twice but first time with my kids   Agree CR is a good idea as well.   I've been there twice as well. A tad harder to get to which is part of the appeal and why there are far fewer Disney type travelers.      I agree that the beaches in Thailand are amazing but you are looking at almost 30 hours door to door.  You can be on Ambergris sipping a Belikin in 6 hours esp if you are flying from Dallas or Houston

Edited by midtown