Three Dog Fright? (Dog advice)

For Christmas, I gave my wife a white lab puppy. She'd been wanting a "bridge" puppy as her (our) 12-year-old yellow lab starts to slow down. Her idea is the older lab would help train the younger one, make the inevitable transition easier, etc. The wild card is that we also have a 6.5-year-old Jack Russell Terrier that I got shortly after my divorce before my now-wife and I started co-habitating a few years back. The short story is the lab is fine but the JRT hates her. Like she growls anytime the pup gets anywhere near her and goes full-on berserk mode if the pup so much as engages her. The pup does NOT do a good job of respecting personal space at this time and seemingly just wants to play with the JRT, who would rather be left the fuck alone. (The JRT has gotten along with every other dog we've ever had her around.) The JRT doesn't do anything -- like she could if she wanted to -- but it's loud, it's very often and it's very annoying, especially for my wife who is at her wit's end. My wife announced last night that she's ordered a bark color for the JRT, which I'm not sure is a great solution. Anybody have better ideas than mine, which was probably best summed up as they'll figure out to co-exist as the pup ages out of puppy-dom? (FTR, the lab was just spayed two weeks ago today.)

Going through exactly this right now. 

Yellow Lab/Golden Doodle puppy.  Old Fart Shnauzer mix (13 yrs).  6 year old Schnoodle.

Old Fart gets along and play growls.  Schnoodle has been the alpha and basically is ignoring the puppy or asserting noisy dominance if the puppy gets into her space

I'm in the it'll work itself out camp.  In 6 months, the puppy is going to be bigger than both of them.  But it doesn't help that the schoodle gets some weird allergies this time of year and chews the ass fur out of herself.  Cortizone shot along with the second round of puppy shots for the 1/4 Golden Doodle should help.  But currently, the schnoodle is in a cone, which is great target practice for the puppy.

But, then there's this.

Py-Eq-Nfu-VKn-S-l-Hq-TOe-Zgrvm-PNb7-DFW5

Edited by dcbc

Are they around each other when they aren't supervised by you two?  A collar like that wouldn't be my first choice and I've never used one, but I think if you wanted to go that route you might try using one that you control (and then give the dog a vibrate every time he starts to get aggressive towards the lab) than just one set to go off whenever he barks.

But, I am not any kind of expert dog trainer.  I have an old boxer and my wife's little maltese/yorkie thing.  He was terrified of the boxer to start, and then began with some more annoying/aggressive behavior.  He'll still growl and launch himself into the boxer if his space is being invaded or if the boxer is showing an interest in his toy, and the boxer either ignores him or backs off.

23 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I bet they work it out.

Kind of my thought process. But the pup is 6 months old and it's actually gotten worse as she's now basically got the JRT more than doubled in size.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Are they around each other when they aren't supervised by you two?  A collar like that wouldn't be my first choice and I've never used one, but I think if you wanted to go that route you might try using one that you control (and then give the dog a vibrate every time he starts to get aggressive towards the lab) than just one set to go off whenever he barks.

But, I am not any kind of expert dog trainer.  I have an old boxer and my wife's little maltese/yorkie thing.  He was terrified of the boxer to start, and then began with some more annoying/aggressive behavior.  He'll still growl and launch himself into the boxer if his space is being invaded or if the boxer is showing an interest in his toy, and the boxer either ignores him or backs off.

Not ever. My wife takes the two labs to stay with her parents during weekdays -- she runs her dad's dental practice -- and they stay there with in-laws' retriever. JRT stays at our house by herself. When we leave the house, pup goes in the kennel and the two older dogs remain loose in the house.

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Dogs will work it out.  Trying to get dogs to act like well behaved humans isn’t in their nature and futile for people. 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Water will always find its own level.  Dogs are like water.

Again, this is what I'm thinking -- but wife is at wit's end.

On Dog Whisperer it always turns out to be the fault of the White people. Are there any White people with access to your home? If so, a Mystical Mexican, or I guess an Okinawan gardener can get you straightened out.

It's probably a case where you are not sufficiently dominating your wife and others in your household. The dogs, craving routine and order (every dog is at heart a German foot-soldier) are losing their shit as they try, best as they can, to hack out a pecking order where the White people have failed to establish one.

I recommend removing any existential French literature from the dogs' reach-- it's not ever going to make them happy-- and have your family priest instruct them in the Lives of the Saints. You don't have a live-in family priest? Oh dear.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kind of my thought process. But the pup is 6 months old and it's actually gotten worse as she's now basically got the JRT more than doubled in size.

Not ever. My wife takes the two labs to stay with her parents during weekdays -- she runs her dad's dental practice -- and they stay there with in-laws' retriever. JRT stays at our house by herself. When we leave the house, pup goes in the kennel and the two older dogs remain loose in the house.

Again, this is what I'm thinking -- but wife is at wit's end.

Again, we are married to the same woman.  

My wife freaks over dogs licking themselves.  I tell her it is what dogs do.  She freaks over one pissing on the same spot the other just went to piss.  She wants to change that.  I just roll my eyes and listen to why it’s my fault.  

You have a wife problem and not a dog problem. 

Come to think of it you may have an easier time changing your dogs’ behavior.  

Edited by deadshank
Conjugation and shit.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

My wife freaks over dogs licking themselves.  I tell her it is what dogs do.  She freaks over one pissing on the same spot the other just went to piss.  She wants to change that.  I just roll my eyes and listen to why it’s my fault.  

Ha -- perhaps! I would like to see the behavior curbed at least a little until it goes away naturally like we all seem to think it will. It sounds ugly as hell when the JRT gets all shrieky and snarly and what-not. Dumb old Pearl just keeps casually putting her paw on the JRT's face or whatever else she can do to annoy her and off we go again. The JRT can take safe refuge under the coffee table now the pup can no longer fit under there but still growls any time the pup simply walks by or around the coffee table.

31 minutes ago, deadshank said:

That and a dog won't bitch about you leaving the toilet seat up. in fact they'll be very happy if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Ours mostly have worked it out, but now it's reversing itself.  The Schnoodle rules supreme and is apathetic.  She plays with the lab pup on occasion and delivered a series of punches the other day (something I have never seen).  But she can keep the puppy at bay and is the only dog that can jump on the bed (for now), which always has been her sanctuary.

The current problem is the the old tolerant far of a three legged Shnauzer mix.  He growls and snaps at her as needed.  He's super patient, but she has taken to full on body blows and take downs, which, given his age, isn't cool.  We started with correction, upped the volume, and finally, we have resorted to an old, empty soda can with some coins in it (taped off on the top).  Dogs don't enjoy the sound when we shake it.  It gets there attention, and we correct the puppy.  It hasn't dissuaded her completely, but it breaks it up when she gets too rough.  We wait until it gets past the point of the older dog's correcting her.  Because, usually, he can deal with her. 

It will work itself out.

• 4 weeks later...

Update, the Schnoodle has started "playing" with the puppy.  Basically, they're wrastlin'.  My wife is a little alarmed with the light nipping that's going on between the two dogs, but they tire themselves out and this is the result.

/no cloak room (debate audio in the background)

d5dov5-Au-Y49-Ueq-Dighjm-L1b-Je-Bppmgf3-

Edited by dcbc