MLS 2018 Thread

ATLLonghorn

Timbers strike down the LAFers for 5th consecutive Win ! 

First meeting between the two and despite getting dealt a loss, the LAFC fans were present en masse, loud, and stayed late making noise.  No encounters w sundry shitheads either, which is inevitable whenever SEA and SJ arrive. 

Both Timbers goals were club firsts for Paredes and Armenteros -- they were pumped.

Timbers.vsLAFC_32.JPG?lKQS807zqEAglEevLZ

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Tonight is US Open Cup. Fc Dallas down in SA and NTX Rayados playing Dynamo. Sunday league team that 2 of my HS friends play on. Look out for the Salas brother's. One is a principal and the other a PE teacher in DISD

Crappy news...

The Salas brothers didn't make the 18 man roster for tonight's match.

Spoiler

SAFC 0 - 1 FC Dallas in 80'

Tesho Akindele with the score 46'

• Like 1

Got some tickets to tonight’s game against Sporting KC. Timbers had a rough game last weekend against la galaxy. Looking for a good bounce back this week. 

And hopefully Gleeson isn’t the starter.  

Edited by Eugene11
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Portland-Seattle has got to be the most intense rivalry in the MLS. A buddy of mine went to a game in Portland a couple years ago when Sounders FC was in town. He told me at least 3 fights broke out in the stands. Then again, those clubs have hated each other even before they joined the MLS.

The intensity is real.  These days, when SEA comes to PDX, they quarantine their fans from the general population with a designated gate below their section.  Kind of a pain to have to go out of the way bc it's the gate we use, but seems to work.

What’s the best way to get away tickets as a FC Dallas fan? Want to see them when they play the Rapids. 

Also, on that note, I feel bad for Minnesota United. So many chances and they couldn’t hit the target to save their life. FCD needed it though as it looks like it’s back to the traditional summer slump. 

I'll pm you my season ticket rep number. I've never bought singles for away games as we usually do away games as a group so we go through the FO

Summer slump is real. Not sure how I feel about selling Mauro. Maxi will probably be in a slump now cause his best friend is gone.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2018 at 6:50 PM, Zepol87 said:

I'll pm you my season ticket rep number. I've never bought singles for away games as we usually do away games as a group so we go through the FO

I'll let you know once the time gets closer, but thanks.

Also, it's official:

MLS is not a good enough league to have 2 games in 3 days. FC Dallas had 4 or 5 guys play tonight that I’ve never heard of. Also, this referee didn’t know you could play advantage and still give a player a yellow card for a foul. Kelly Acosta probably had 3 yellow card worthy takedowns but didn’t end up with a card all night because the ref thinks advantage is sufficient enough. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dallas dumps agitated Acosta and gets a nice haul in return.

FC Dallas to trade Kellyn Acosta to Colorado for Dominique Badji - reports

FC Dallas is set to trade United States midfielder Kellyn Acosta to the Colorado Rapids for Dominique Badji, according to reports in The Dallas Morning News and The Athletic on Sunday.

Acosta, 22, has spent his entire career with FCD, debuting with the first team as an 18-year-old in 2013. He's become an important part of the U.S. national team, appearing in World Cup qualifiers and the CONCACAF Gold Cup last year.

r275818_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

The move comes after Acosta walked straight down the tunnel after being substituted in the first half of a defeat to the New York Red Bulls on June 23. He's only started one game since then, though he's appeared as a substitute in four other games.

Colorado will send 25-year-old forward Badji as well as their first-round pick in next year's SuperDraft and an international spot to Dallas, which will also retain a portion of any transfer fee for Acosta should he leave MLS in the future, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Badji, in his fourth MLS season, has scored 24 career goals, including seven this season.

He moves from Colorado -- 11th in the Western Conference and 13 points adrift of a playoff spot -- to conference-leading Dallas.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3571903/fc-dallas-to-trade-kellyn-acosta-to-colorado-for-dominique-badji-reports

It's a great haul for FC Dallas, but it still hurts to see someone who has been at the club leave. If it's true that they talked to him beforehand, it makes it a lot easier to swallow. Hopefully playing in Colorado will help him regain his form as he's been pretty poor, and the NYRB substitution was pretty damning of what Pareja thinks of him. 

On 7/23/2018 at 9:47 AM, GabrielsHorn said:

It's a great haul for FC Dallas, but it still hurts to see someone who has been at the club leave. If it's true that they talked to him beforehand, it makes it a lot easier to swallow. Hopefully playing in Colorado will help him regain his form as he's been pretty poor, and the NYRB substitution was pretty damning of what Pareja thinks of him. 

Acosta had an injury last year and then regressed. I'm glad to see him go. It's a huge plus for FC Dallas and it might actually help Kellyn turn his game back around.

When Kellyn played for the USMNT in 2017, he was the absolute best set piece taker on the team and covered a lot of ground in the midfield, but he frequently had the field awareness on defense of someone who had undergone a lobotomy. He seemed really aggressive going forward, but fucking retarded when it came to identifying the oncoming threat on defense. During the Gold Cup 2017 was when I realized that he wasn't as good as Weston McKennie, despite having been a first team professional for a few years vs a kid who had played one professional match.

Dallas signed Chilean Pablo Aránguiz, who is a midget, to replace outgoing Argentine midget Diaz, whom they sold to the Middle East. Aránguiz is far superior to Acosta going forward, but won't be called on to play defense because he'll fill the #10 role. They also picked up Dominque Badji in the Acosta trade for additional offensive fire power, so by getting rid of a bench player in Acosta, they picked up two strong offensive players. Huge win for Dallas and a small win for back-of-the-pack Denver.

Then today, FC Dallas signed 17 year-old academy player - Thomas Roberts. He completed a 10 day trial with Bayern earlier this year along with Richardson and may get to go over to Germany on a youth loan once he turns 18 (my speculation).

Roberts_071818_V1_JT_DL3.png?cxDJlJsmVWY 5' 11", 150 lbs Midfielder (#8 / #10)

I noticed at the start of the following video that when he was signing his contract, he is left-handed and sure enough, the video shows him to have a strong left foot. (Always a welcome sight.)

FC DALLAS "Welcome Thomas Roberts" video:
https://www.fcdallas.com/iframe-video?brightcove_id=5813393665001&brightcove_player_id=default&brightcove_account_id=5534894066001

Canada's Alphonso Davies only had 2 goals & 2 assists in Vancouver's 4-2 win over Minnesota.

VIDEO HERE: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2018-07-28-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-minnesota-united-fc/recap

There was also a ridiculous move that he made in the match that doesn't make the match headlines, but it does in this All Alphonso Highlight Reel here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/29/bayern-munich-bound-alphonso-davies-destroys-loons-whitecaps-win

Bayern might have gotten off cheap.

When Kellyn played for the USMNT in 2017, he was the absolute best set piece taker on the team and covered a lot of ground in the midfield, but he frequently had the field awareness on defense of someone who had undergone a lobotomy. He seemed really aggressive going forward, but fucking retarded when it came to identifying the oncoming threat on defense. During the Gold Cup 2017 was when I realized that he wasn't as good as Weston McKennie, despite having been a first team professional for a few years vsa kid who had played one professional match.

I'd agree with his failings on defense which really didn't fit with the system that FC Dallas had. Ulloa is just better at it, even if he got destroyed for the first SKC goal this weekend. Based on the limited amount of the Rapids game I saw, I think it'll be a good fit as he was definitely given a much more free role to go forward then he did at Dallas.

Also, Barrios getting a hat trick was insane. There's been some bonkers performances from some of the more criticized FCD players recently with him and Tesho against ATL. 

9 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

I'd agree with his failings on defense which really didn't fit with the system that FC Dallas had. Ulloa is just better at it, even if he got destroyed for the first SKC goal this weekend. Based on the limited amount of the Rapids game I saw, I think it'll be a good fit as he was definitely given a much more free role to go forward then he did at Dallas.

Also, Barrios getting a hat trick was insane. There's been some bonkers performances from some of the more criticized FCD players recently with him and Tesho against ATL. 

When I saw the highlight of Acosta's goal for Colorado, I noticed two things:

1) The goal was a really nice chip over the keeper AND a defender (if I'm thinking of the right chip... I watched highlights from several games), and...
2) Colorado gave Acosta the #10 jersey. (Not just the position, but the actual number!)

I think that Kellyn will absolutely be playing a different role with Denver than he was in Dallas.

Even with Dallas shipping Diaz off to the desert on the gulf, (1) They have chosen 17 year-old homegrown player Paxton Pomykal to backup (2) new 21 year-old Chilean signee, Pablo Aranguiz, in the #10 spot and preferred the talent & player salaries from those two over giving Acosta a shot at the #10 spot.