Everest overbooked in F, J & Y

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I’ve climbed 4 of them (Massive, La Plata, Democrat, and Lincoln) and that scratched that itch. This were all relatively easy climbs, but they were enough to scratch any itch I had of doing a “real” climb.

You have a lot of itches, Hate. Did you love an unclean woman?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I’ve climbed 4 of them (Massive, La Plata, Democrat, and Lincoln) and that scratched that itch. This were all relatively easy climbs, but they were enough to scratch any itch I had of doing a “real” climb.

While they are not at all technical, I found Massive and especially La Plata, to be fairly difficult.  I climbed La Plata about 14 hours after leaving Iowa, and wasn't at all acclimated to elevation.  Started to get a little loopy near the summit, but made it.

Ive done a lot of the more technical ones (Capitol, both Maroons, Pyramid, both Wilson's, Sunlight) and may never do all of them because I've scratched that itch enough to have a healthy fear of those conditions.  Of the ones I have left (mostly in the Sangre De Cristo), Little Bear is especially unnerving.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

If you want to be a diver you get certified then you have to undergo additional training to go deeper.  For Mount Everest you just need to be stupid enough to pony up the money.  I don’t have sympathy for those that fail. 

While I understand the intent of your analogy, in other ways diving is very similar to Everest. If you're clearly unqualified, there are companies that'll tell you that and will not take you (for either Everest or deep diving). There are other companies where money talks, and even if you hold no certification, they'll take you. And if you foot the bill for your own equipment, boat, and air, there will always be someone who will take you regardless whether you're dive certified, or whether you're in top climbing shape for Everest.

You go in to these activities fully cognizant of the risks. Those risks are a big part of what makes the activity special. It's a very personal challenge, and I don't think the majority of people taking on the challenge want or expect any sympathy for failure.

5 hours ago, RollLeft said:

To each his own, but i could not care less if climbers summit or plummet.  For me they are right up there with the 26.2 sticker people, smokers and the World Bowling Tour Champion.  

No problem, just more Clara Guerrero for me:
GuerreroClara_637.jpg

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

What do you have against world class bowlers ????

if your a ‘guide’ and know there will be delays, shouldn’t you have some plans in place to deal with that ?

who coordinates all the guides and daily hiking schedules ?

It's all self service companies. There's no hall monitor up there, other than the weather.  Delays mean you're sitting still, and not moving, and THAT is major trouble.

32 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

What do you have against world class bowlers ????

if your a ‘guide’ and know there will be delays, shouldn’t you have some plans in place to deal with that ?

who coordinates all the guides and daily hiking schedules ?

Obviously the Daily Hiking Schedule Coordinator. Duh. 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

No problem, just more Clara Guerrero for me:

I missed a sanctioned 300 because of a chick.  11 strikes and an 8.  

Well, it wasn't all the chick, much of it was the Budweiser.  (Official beer of the bowling league.)

On 5/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, VABuckeye said:

1996 was two competing companies trying to be first to the summit.  This was compounded when one of the leaders became ill and a horrible storm descended on the mountain after very late summits. 

Ive read Into Thin Air and I believe there are less biased accounts of what happened.  Krakauer decided he wanted a villain and he chose Anatoli Boukreev.  Most other accounts paint Boukreev in a different light as he was the one person who went back out in the storm to help. 

Boukreev actually wrote a book about this incident. Check out The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Past 27k or so feet is the death zone where you can't get enough oxygen to drive your bodily energy needs. How do they have that long of a line of people standing near 29k ft with no movement for hours without everyone dying? 

Almost everyone climbs with oxygen, although the flow rate is reduced.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, Hate said:

Basin to overnight at the South Rim, January 91.

Young enough to tackle easily.

Incredible, Gods must be Crazy sunrise.

Check.

Next.

On 5/28/2019 at 12:34 PM, El Diablo said:

Didn't @LTbearmarry into a family of mountaineers?

Anyway, I do good to climb Enchanted Rock.

Nice memory. I did indeed, though I’ll keep the family name private since my avatar is the ass of the one I married.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Nice memory. I did indeed, though I’ll keep the family name private since my avatar is the ass of the one I married.

Yeah, I'm not doxing anyone for sure. Funny the nuggets that people drop over the years that others remember. I saw the topic though and your name popped into my head. The inlaws have any thoughts on Everest?

On 5/31/2019 at 12:38 PM, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I'm not doxing anyone for sure. Funny the nuggets that people drop over the years that others remember. I saw the topic though and your name popped into my head. The inlaws have any thoughts on Everest?

A “tourist mountain.” There’s a conga line up the peak nowadays, mostly rich people with bottled oxygen and guides who do everything for them. They haven’t spent years training and learning - haven’t “earned” the mountain. But the in laws are intense; they’ve done several routes which have never been or were just recently repeated.