Best/Favorite debut album

tbone_

On 5/28/2019 at 6:11 PM, tbone_ said:

I think I’m going with Boston - total unknowns, no industry experience, homeboy invents and builds his own gear, engineers and records it himself, writes hella fantastic songs that will be staples of classic rock until the end of time, was like nothing ever heard at the time, and the damn thing just sounds fantastic.

96cc9d79cca90fcd2d1f96330f3d37e4.jpg

To me this album is like hitting a walk off World Series winning grand slam in your first at bat.

I can't count how many times I have listened to this album and it never gets old. The babysitter's husband I stayed with, loved Boston. I discovered this album about 1995ish. I was blown away.

Too bad their following albums never even sniffed this one. They got worse and worse as they went on. Especially that Corporate America album they released in 2004.

4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I think don’t look back is equally as good. But after that it’s very iffy.

Same. I've listened to 1 and 2 hundreds of times if not more.

We're Ready and Cool the Engines were good on Third Stage.

Third Stage literally made me laugh when I heard it.  It's so far below their debut and "Don't Look Back" it's . . . well, it's laughable.

The songs aren’t horrible but I can never get past the Rockman tone.

I had to go look up what the other songs were on Third Stage, besides the two that I mentioned. I listened to it quite a bit when it came out to give it a chance. Didn't have the edginess or heaviness of the first two.

I think I taped the two that I like on the tail end of a cassette w/ Boston on one side and Don't Look Back on the other.

Edited by retread

On 5/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, South Austin said:

In terms of historical significance and cultural impact, I'm not sure this one can be topped.

91OOfCQyb-L._SL1500_.jpg

This is correct. There were really two albums that absolutely changed everything in rock music with a debut LP release.

Here's the other one.

lp-vinil-are-you-experienced-jimi-hendri

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DougO said:

This is correct. There were really two albums that absolutely changed everything in rock music with a debut LP release.

Here's the other one.

lp-vinil-are-you-experienced-jimi-hendri

Very true on both counts.  Completely different types off music that influenced so many bands, and trends going forward from their release dates.

I didn't really like Boston when it was new, because all the popular kids were pushing it all the time, and it seemed overly slick and commercial. But after a while, when 80s music was sucking so horribly and I needed something else to listen to, it was one of many past things that I revisited and gave another chance and it was pretty awesome. I didn't listen to Third Stage until 89 or 90, but I liked some tunes on it and didn't think it sucked, though it didn't stand up the the first or second one. There was definitely some great riffage.

I saw Boston at their peak, on the tour for "Don't Look Back".  Their light truck had an accident on the way to St. Louis so their stage setup was pretty minimal.  They played everything they knew and stretched the concert out as a concession to the audience.  It was fucking glorious.  Tom Scholz is not only a great engineer, but a terrific guitarist and keyboardist.  And of course, Brad Delp, holy smokes what a voice (RIP).

I didn't hate Third Stage, really "Amanda" was an over-commercialized piece of dump but everything else was mediocre-to-good.   Oh, and that "What Does It Take To Be A Man", I could have done without that.

I really liked the aforementioned "Cool the Engines" and "We're Ready," and the album finale "Holyann" I thought was really quite good.  

Van Halen 1 also makes the list of "albums that changed everything."

The whole spandex, hairspray, whammy-bar, cock-rock thing... VH was definitely the spark that ignited that fire.  And it became the dominant sub-genre of rock music for like 15 years.   

On 5/30/2019 at 12:51 PM, tbone_ said:

I think don’t look back is equally as good. But after that it’s very iffy.

agreed. I enjoyed Don't Look Back as much as the first one. Man I'll Never Be is an awesome song.

Edited by Nole-4-Life