Over rated shit you just don’t get

pepper brooks

Sort of the opposite of the underrated or ignored album thread. We list bands/songs that people drool over and proclaim to be awesome that you just don’t get or flat out think is dog shit. My current two:

21 pilots 

billie eilish. 

I dont get the pilots. And eilish is just flat fucking terrible but I hear people, mostly radio hosts crowing about her greatness

Edited by pepper brooks

Pretty much everything Radiohead did after OK Computer.  No one likes Kid A or Amnesiac, but there wasn't a music critic in the country willing to stick their neck out and be mocked for "not getting it".  I've tried with those albums, and find it to be mostly noise.  There's flashes of brilliance in some of the other stuff, but they basically made 2 brilliant albums (The Bends, OK Computer) and have been living off that street cred for 20 years.

I agree with you on Billie Eilish as well.  She just kinda mumbles in a put-on accent over gothy synth beats.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Billie Eilish is awful. As in, not LCD Soundsystem "came after my time, I just don't get them", not Taylor Swift "not my cup of tea, but I respect her talent" but awful like "no talent assclown" awful. I'm annoyed that people enjoy her and I'm annoyed at artists who rave about her-- looking at you Dave Grohl. Totally irrational but there it is.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Pretty much everything Radiohead did after OK Computer.  No one likes Kid A or Amnesiac, but there wasn't a music critic in the country willing to stick their neck out and be mocked for "not getting it".  I've tried with those albums, and find it to be mostly noise.  There's flashes of brilliance in some of the other stuff, but they basically made 2 brilliant albums (The Bends, OK Computer) and have been living off that street cred for 20 years.

I agree with you on Billie Eilish as well.  She just kinda mumbles in a put-on accent over gothy synth beats.  

I quite agree with this take as well, and to top it off on Radiohead they seem so hell bent on denying the greatness of those records and insisting on deep cut type stuff that their live shows aren't even enjoyable because they don't play much if any of the hits that made them great.  I love some of their music, and I kinda get a good bit of it that maybe isn't for me.  

21 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Billie Eilish is awful. As in, not LCD Soundsystem "came after my time, I just don't get them", not Taylor Swift "not my cup of tea, but I respect her talent" but awful like "no talent assclown" awful. I'm annoyed that people enjoy her and I'm annoyed at artists who rave about her-- looking at you Dave Grohl. Totally irrational but there it is.

My 13 year old thinks the same about Billie Eilish.....given some of the other music she thinks is "great", that is a pretty damning indictment.

Guest Lobo

Not trying to be too cool for school this time, but I had honestly never heard of the band One Republic until my analyst told me about them earlier this month.  I looked up their hit tune on youtube.  It has in the billions of hits.  Not millions, billions.  I heard the song.  It's not bad, but it's not worth 3,000 hits...let alone 3 billion . 

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

along with ok computer those 2 albums round out my top 3. what a weird take. 

Grunge.  I never liked it. There are a few songs here or there that are good, but for the most part I always thought it sucked.  I include bands like Metallica I know they aren't technically grunge), Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden in that realm. I did like quite a few STP songs though.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 1

Grunge.  I never liked it. There are a few songs here or there that are good, but for the most part I always thought it sucked.  I include bands like Metallica I know they aren't technically grunge), Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden in that realm. I did like quite a few STP songs though.

I never considered STP part of the grunge thing, so it makes sense that you’d like it.

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

We've done this a hundred times already and it always devolves into some bewildering dickslap arguing with the rest of the planet that The Beatles are overrated.

I’m with you.  Good band and all.  But way overrated.

I’m with you.  Good band and all.  But way overrated.

My thoughts on the Beatles as well. They’re a really good band and I love a lot of their music, but man, there’s a lot of stuff I love a lot more.

The Beatles are overrated, but still very good.

People always think you’re calling a band shit when you call them overrated. I don’t think the Beatles suck, I just don’t think they’re the best band ever.

• Like 1

I'm flabbergasted by The Beatles' songwriting prowess, but I doubt I'd put them in my Top 25 list of favorite bands.  I just don't love the music all that much.  That said, I have to admit they probably have 50 songs which never fail to elicit some version of "how in the hell did they WRITE that?" when I hear them.

• Like 2

The Beatles have so many awful songs. I can't put a number on the ratio, but as much as I love a song like Hey Bulldog or Dear Prudence or She's So Heavy, I can't even wrap my mind around how fucking terrible Bungalow Bill or Rocky Raccoon or Yellow Submarine are. 

That would make for an interesting premise for a movie though. Like there's this guy, and he wakes up from a coma and it's like he's in an alternate universe where the Beatles never existed, so he can get rich and famous "writing" the Beatles biggest hits! BUT, he can only remember their worst, most self-indulgent and pointless songs. So instead of getting rich and famous, he gets stoned to death while busking "Octopus' Garden". 

47 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

The Beatles have so many awful songs. I can't put a number on the ratio, but as much as I love a song like Hey Bulldog or Dear Prudence or She's So Heavy, I can't even wrap my mind around how fucking terrible Bungalow Bill or Rocky Raccoon or Yellow Submarine are. 

That would make for an interesting premise for a movie though. Like there's this guy, and he wakes up from a coma and it's like he's in an alternate universe where the Beatles never existed, so he can get rich and famous "writing" the Beatles biggest hits! BUT, he can only remember their worst, most self-indulgent and pointless songs. So instead of getting rich and famous, he gets stoned to death while busking "Octopus' Garden". 

For some reason I've always liked Rocky Raccoon, but agree with the general sentiment of this post completely.

My 12yo likes to listen to channel 2 (Hits 1, I think) on Sirius. I’d say every single song I’ve ever heard on that channel. Sometimes it just makes me want to drive into a ditch.

She did tell me the other day that Seek and Destroy is her favorite song though so my brainwashing attempts are doing some good.

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hated Vampire Weekend until recently.  I'm still not sure I like the band, but "Harmony Hall" got really stuck in my brain.

I wouldn't quite say I "hated" them, but yes, that song is by far the best thing they've done.  Interestingly enough, it doesn't really sound like Vampire Weekend.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

She did tell me the other day that Seek and Destroy is her favorite song though so my brainwashing attempts are doing some good.

Seek and Destroy used to be in the pre-soccer game pump-up playlist I compiled for my daughter.  She’s moved on from metal to hip hop, but I approve of her new go-to warmup song: Ludacris’s “Move, Bitch.”  

• Like 1

I don't know if it's overrated or not, but the popularity of anything the Red Hot Chili Peppers have done since Blood Sugar Sex Magik baffles me. I can't think of another band whose act/persona aged worse than them. 

You mean you don’t like 479 songs about California with the same stupid vocal delivery?
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't know if it's overrated or not, but the popularity of anything the Red Hot Chili Peppers have done since Blood Sugar Sex Magik baffles me. I can't think of another band whose act/persona aged worse than them. 

they're listed as one of my all time "best worst band" ever.  although I did enjoy their live show i attended circa 2008 or09.  

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

You mean you don’t like 479 songs about California with the same stupid vocal delivery?

This.  Go to Europe. Visit a museum.  Write about the French waitress who slings Belgian beer in Amsterdam.  Anything but another tired paen to how great CA is.

• Like 1