Over rated shit you just don’t get

pepper brooks

43 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

learn me on steely dan? i've given them a shot, but am willing to reconsider.

Steely Dan = Tongue-in-cheek lyrics and persona, but with incredible studio talent and precision recording/composing.  

Edited by ohchaucer

51 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Courtney Barnett

Zero fucking talent.  I mean fucking zero.  None.  

She is the musical equivalent of an ironic mustache, and if you didn't realize that the instant you heard her banal fucking nonsense delivered in an amateurish, out-of-tune warble, go ahead and start punching yourself in the face, because you are desensitized to mediocrity, and you are now part of the problem.

Edited by Paul Wesley
still trying to find the right words to express how much she sucks
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, strangulation! said:

learn me on steely dan? i've given them a shot, but am willing to reconsider.

I don't pretend to be an uber fan but I really enjoy Steely Dan.  Just very smooth, catchy lyrics etc.  I can understand they may not be someone's cup of tea.  In my mind they are the only tolerable jazz.   

The people who rail against Steely Dan tend to be jazz aficionados.  For some reason it pains them to listen to pop-rock based on jazz structures.  I've never understood it.  The writing is clever, it's far more sophisticated than that of the average pop song, and the playing is always A+ first rate.  Some people just have to feel superior (and I suspect the vast majority wouldn't make it past note 3 in a Steely Dan session).

I'm quite partial to Steely Dan's nod to Homer's "Odyssey" in "Home At Last" -- sure, every band reimagines old literary warhorses to create new masterpieces, like the monster hit that REO Speedwagon had with their interpretation of James Joyce's take on the same story with "Ulysses", and of course who can forget Lionel Richie's famous riff on "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez? -- but I still dig this tired-ass sloppy intellectually masturbatory excess:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wouldn't quite say I "hated" them, but yes, that song is by far the best thing they've done.  Interestingly enough, it doesn't really sound like Vampire Weekend.

It sounds like a Grateful Dead song to me. There's a guitar lick in there that sounds like the lick in "Touch of Grey"

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It sounds like a Grateful Dead song to me. There's a guitar lick in there that sounds like the lick in "Touch of Grey"

Yeah, in the last half of the song there's a Jerry Garcia riff.  The rest of it isn't as on the nose, but definitely a Dead influence.

This one won’t be popular, but I don’t get the love for Pink Floyd.  They’re boring as shit as a group, and I don’t see any evidence that they’re exceptionally talented individual musicians.  When a Floyd song comes on, I change the station.  

• Like 4

Well, I like quite a bit of their "mid-period" stuff, probably as much for the recordings as anything, but to me David Gilmour certainly qualifies as "exceptionally talented".  For starters, his tone is insane, and if insane tone were easy to achieve, everybody would have it (and there would be no such thing as insane tone).

• Like 2

This one won’t be popular, but I don’t get the love for Pink Floyd.  They’re boring as shit as a group, and I don’t see any evidence that they’re exceptionally talented individual musicians.  When a Floyd song comes on, I change the station.  

I sort of agree. There are some really good tunes between Dark Side & Wish You Were Here, but The Wall sucks/is over played, and the Syd Barrett stuff is borderline unlistenable.

David Gilmour is a pretty damn good guitar player too.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

but yes, that song is by far the best thing they've done.

Oh hell no it isn't. Not even close. 

I guess it does make sense that folks that don't like them to begin with might like that track a lot, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any fans of theirs to call anything off of their latest album the best thing they've done. 

I got stuck listening to this on repeat the other night, brilliant track

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

shut your mouth GIF

• Like 4

Bob Dylan and Drake.

I've always hated Dylan, made my ears bleed. Fuck your hippie poet nonsense, it's like listening to a homeless guy in front of Circle K asking for change, over and over.

Drake has the same delivery. Mumbling nonsense.  My son says I'm the only one on the planet that hates Drake, and for that, I award myself a gold star.

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Some people just have to feel superior (and I suspect the vast majority wouldn't make it past note 3 in a Steely Dan session).

What in the flying fuck do you think the purpose of this thread is?

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

David Gilmour certainly qualifies as "exceptionally talented". 

agree, it is odd to me to see a guitar player say "no one in Pink Floyd seems exceptionally talented"

and while I have already heard enough Pink Floyd to last me the rest of my life even if I live to be 900, they produced some absolute masterpieces-- another band that isn't one of my favorites but I still have a lot of respect for

For fun and unrelated to the rest of this post, I will point out that if we'd had the Internet in 1991, there would have been dumbasses would be saying "ha ha, old farts don't get Color Me Badd"

• Like 1

Alright, if that guy gets to say Pink Floyd, I'm just gonna go ahead and say The Who.  I love a lot of their music and believe Moon was a one-of-a-kind nut and Pete Townshend is a rock star, there is just a ton of their stuff that isn't all that fun to listen to.  I don't know how to describe that better, but that's what it feels like.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

David Gilmour is a pretty damn good guitar player too.

I disagree.  His solos are basic and boring. Every one of them sounds like it was written by a middle school kid screwing around with scales for the first time.  

37 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Frank Sinatra. Yeah maybe a couple of catchy songs but I will never understand the love. 

Opinions & assholes, but he was arguably the greatest natural singer of the pop era.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 4