Over rated shit you just don’t get

pepper brooks

I honestly don't know why Beyonce is so revered. She's no different than a thousand other pop stars past, present and (presumably) future.  

She is quite possibly the worst lyricist I've ever heard.

Fun fact, a young Patricio Swayze once worked with her and the rest of Destiny’s Child in the studio(jermaine Dupri was there producing and Lil Bow was there crying like a bitch). She was very beautiful in person, needed very few takes and was extremely nice. But I don’t like her music nor could I name one single song of hers.

Oasis! Not just overrated, fucking terrible.
Also, I'm a jazz enthusiast and I think Steely Dan is great

YES X A MILLION. Oasis is absofuckinglutely awful. Just garbage. Fuck that shitty band.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Fun fact, a young Patricio Swayze once worked with her and the rest of Destiny’s Child in the studio(jermaine Dupri was there producing and Lil Bow was there crying like a bitch). She was very beautiful in person, needed very few takes and was extremely nice. But I don’t like her music nor could I name one single song of hers.

Yeah, she can definitely sing, and is obviously gorgeous.  But . . .

To the left, to the left
Everything you own in the box to the left
In the closet, that's my stuff
Yes, if I bought it, please don't touch

I think she's actually worse with words than Alicia Keys.  Speaking of Alicia Keys, she belongs on this thread, because not only can she not write, she can't sing without Autotune fixing every damn note.

Also, I would enjoy seeing Elvis Costello subjected to some sort of medieval torture like being put into one of those suits of armor with spikes in it, or being stretched out on a rack, and every piece of his music being shot up into space and then blown to a billion pieces by a gigantic space laser.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Also, I would enjoy seeing Elvis Costello subjected to some sort of medieval torture like being put into one of those suits of armor with spikes in it, or being stretched out on a rack, and every piece of his music being shot up into space and then blown to a billion pieces by a gigantic space laser.  

Holy shit.  I don't agree, but you've staked your claim!

23 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

He's one of my favorites (His first 4 albums are fantastic)  but I get this. He comes off as a cunt. Props to you for scorching the earth.

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think she's actually worse with words than Alicia Keys.  Speaking of Alicia Keys, she belongs on this thread, because not only can she not write, she can't sing without Autotune fixing every damn note.

This.  So fucking overrated.  That New York song is the worst.  The.  Worst.

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a major soft spot for tunes like "Pump It Up", "Alison", "Watching The Detectives", "Accidents Will Happen", "Radio Radio", "Red Shoes" and "Every Day I Write The Book".  Those didn't all happen . . . accidentally.

This.  He's really good.  Nobody sounds like him and his 15 chords per song.  Though trying to learn all those chord changes are a real bitch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Stop holding back.  Tell us how you really feel.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, Helobious said:

Obligatory The Beatles. So they were the first of their kind, revolutionary, etc. so they're the greatest band ever. I guess by that logic the Wright Brothers are the greatest pilots ever. 

I hear ya, I really do. The Beatles, like the Rolling Stones, were blues influenced but the Stones carried it off so much better.

What I can give to the Beatles is that they did have an original sound. I didn't like all of it, but it was creative. Maybe it was the drugs. For them, not me.

On 6/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, Dolemite said:

Michael Jackson, Prince and the fucking Eagles.

I guess this is technically titled "shit you just don't get" but it also has "over-rated" in the headline.

You may not "get" Prince but he sure as hell isn't over-rated. He was a modern-day Mozart. Brilliant. Writer, musician, and performer. 

Weird, yes. But the music that guy bestowed upon us? Priceless.

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a major soft spot for tunes like "Pump It Up", "Alison", "Watching The Detectives", "Accidents Will Happen", "Radio Radio", "Red Shoes" and "Every Day I Write The Book".  Those didn't all happen . . . accidentally.

Yeah, and the work  he did with Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds/Rockpile was not bad, either. 

Girls Talk was a great pop song. 

Elvis deserves some respect, imo.

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

The Beatles, like the Rolling Stones, were blues influenced but the Stones carried it off so much better.

Well, certainly the blues were an influence on both the Beatles and the Stones, but the influence was much, much heavier with regard to the Stones, which is why the Stones' music is substantially bluesier.  The early Beatles were influenced by a lot of different musical genres, including early R+R (Berry, Presley, Little Richard, etc.), blues, skiffle, showtunes, Goffin/King-type pop stuff, and Motown.  And that shows in the disparate types of music they created in comparison to the Stones.

For me, I don't think the Beatles can be overrated because they were such a game-changer.  One may not like the music they created, but the influence and impact are undeniable. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I guess this is technically titled "shit you just don't get" but it also has "over-rated" in the headline.

You may not "get" Prince but he sure as hell isn't over-rated. He was a modern-day Mozart. Brilliant. Writer, musician, and performer. 

To take it a step further Prince wouldn't have been Prince without MJ.

So... there's that. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Well, certainly the blues were an influence on both the Beatles and the Stones, but the influence was much, much heavier with regard to the Stones, which is why the Stones' music is substantially bluesier.  The early Beatles were influenced by a lot of different musical genres, including early R+R (Berry, Presley, Little Richard, etc.), blues, skiffle, showtunes, Goffin/King-type pop stuff, and Motown.  And that shows in the disparate types of music they created in comparison to the Stones.

For me, I don't think the Beatles can be overrated because they were such a game-changer.  One may not like the music they created, but the influence and impact are undeniable. 

Yeah, I completely agree. 

Depending on your tastes, you may find it good or bad that the Beatles veered off from that basic blues influence. 

Lennon and Harrison were the real creatives, imo. McCartney was great but imo he didn't do it solo like Lennon did. 

I still remember where I was when I heard that Lennon died. Same with SRV. I sound like people who talk about Elvis, I know.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:18 PM, Mach 1 said:

Bob Dylan and Drake.

I've always hated Dylan, made my ears bleed. Fuck your hippie poet nonsense, it's like listening to a homeless guy in front of Circle K asking for change, over and over.

Drake has the same delivery. Mumbling nonsense.  My son says I'm the only one on the planet that hates Drake, and for that, I award myself a gold star.

Dylan isn't the best singer, that's for sure. But his work is hardly "hippie poet nonsense". 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

To take it a step further Prince wouldn't have been Prince without MJ.

Uh, not so sure about that.  MJ was Motown soul, Prince had more dirty funk in his style.  Besides, I never got a clear bead on just how much of that stuff MJ actually wrote.  I suspect he was more of an interpreter than a creator.  A brilliant interpreter, and an entertainer the likes of which had probably never been seen, but Prince had more depth and skill in his musicianship.

• Like 1

Groups/artists that I was never able to "get" include the Grateful Dead, Bush (couldn't stand the singer's voice), Lenny Kravitz (talented dude, but seemed to misappropriate his style directly from the 60's), Radiohead (boring and fey, but that "Creep" song was pretty catchy), Wilco (never as good as Uncle Tupelo, IMO), Beyonce, Kanye, Drake, Lady GaGa, Smashing Pumpkins (some of their stuff is alright, but Billy Corgan's voice and douchey attitude always put me off), Linkin Park, and Coldplay (i.e., Radiohead Part Deux).

To each their own. 

14 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Take, for instance, Kurt Cobain. He influenced an entire generation. Prince, not so much, so priceless is a word I wouldn't associate with Prince.

But, I never got the Beatles either, so what do I know. 

Edited by Dolemite

I never really got into Sunvolt or Wilco. My cousin and her husband, recording studio and record shop owners in Ft Worth. just absolutely love them. They sound very "ordinary" to me, but to them they are God's gift. I feel the same way about Elvis Costello and Phish, very ordinary sounds that don't have powerful enough lyrics to overcome the bland chords. I've only had a very small sample of each, but that small sample sucked enough to make me not want to listen to anything more from them. I know each of these bands have devoted followers here, but I just never got "it".

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I never really got into Sunvolt or Wilco. My cousin and her husband, recording studio and record shop owners in Ft Worth. just absolutely love them. They sound very "ordinary" to me, but to them they are God's gift. I feel the same way about Elvis Costello and Phish, very ordinary sounds that don't have powerful enough lyrics to overcome the bland chords. I've only had a very small sample of each, but that small sample sucked enough to make me not want to listen to anything more from them. I know each of these bands have devoted followers here, but I just never got "it".

CHIEF

Yes, I think it's this kind of overhype for a band, that results in the backlash of "overrated" responses.  Almost any time I hear someone gushing over a band and telling me they're the greatest ever, there's a pretty good chance I'm going to be disappointed.  And when those groups of devoted fans become cultish and obsessed with spreading the gospel of a specific band, that's when the real hatred can kick in.

To me, one of the worst and most obnoxious fan groups, are the Phish fans.  Good Lord they go on and on and act like Phish invented the "jam band" concept.  It's nauseating.  So put me down in the camp that finds Phish overrated, although I certainly don't think they're a terrible band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My distaste for Phish exists for 2 reasons:  I can't stand "jam band" music, and they're the most hyped in that genre.  It's the double whammy of suck.

Indeed, the double whammy of suck.

I don't even mind "jam band" music, except its deovted fans seem to be people that don't understand that ANY great band is going to be able to improv and jam.  Aside from George Strait and The Cars, I've never once been to a live concert where the band played the music exactly as it was recorded.  I imagine Phish fans in general to be kids that grew up in areas that were just completely devoid of any kind of live music.  So they go to a Phish concert and this is something crazy and new to them.

I know a guy from BFE Michigan who has seen Phish over 80 times.  He's one of those people that took months off and followed them around the country at one point,  But he rarely (if ever?) goes to see anyone else perform live.  And he lives in Austin.  I keep encouraging him to go and hear other bands, other live music, so he might finally catch on to the fat that talented musicians are able to do this all the time.  And they do it better than Phish.  Just such a weird cult IMO.

Anyway, back to other bands that we don't get and are overrated... :)

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Sun Volt's first two records were good and then it kind of trailed off.

Personally, I'm with your cousin and her husband re Wilco.  A friend took me to see them at Liberty Lunch back in the mid 90s and I've been in since them.  They speak to me, and continue to do so, but I'm not telling everyone else they're the second coming.  They're just a great band that I really enjoy.  

And the Beatles are the greatest of all time.  Non sequitur, but necessary here.

Sun Volt's first two records were good and then it kind of trailed off.
Personally, I'm with your cousin and her husband re Wilco.  A friend took me to see them at Liberty Lunch back in the mid 90s and I've been in since them.  They speak to me, and continue to do so, but I'm not telling everyone else they're the second coming.  They're just a great band that I really enjoy.  
And the Beatles are the greatest of all time.  Non sequitur, but necessary here.

I generally agree with this take on Son Volt v. Wilco, but SV’s “Notes of Blue” (came out in ‘17) is better than any Wilco album since “Sky Blue Sky”.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I generally agree with this take on Son Volt v. Wilco, but SV’s “Notes of Blue” (came out in ‘17) is better than any Wilco album since “Sky Blue Sky”.

I'll fully grant you that I haven't heard much of Jay Farrar's new stuff.  So I'll go check it out.  They put on a good show at Sons of Hermann Hall a few years back.  My take is definitely limited to the 90s-early 2000s time range.  

I'll fully grant you that I haven't heard much of Jay Farrar's new stuff.  So I'll go check it out.  They put on a good show at Sons of Hermann Hall a few years back.  My take is definitely limited to the 90s-early 2000s time range.  

He definitely fell off, and the album that came out this year did nothing for me, but I really liked Notes of Blue, and Tweedy has gotten really fucking comfortable the last few years

On 6/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, tbone_ said:

Ever see Prince try to buttfuck a little boy?

So we got

in favor of Prince.

MJ has choreography and dance to his credit, but then you got that whole diddlin' kids thing.

Seems like a pretty clear winner to me.

• Like 1

I was never trying to compare the two, just make the point that MJ's music (I don't care who wrote it or produced it or performed it - just talking about the records in a vacuum) influenced a lot of artists Prince probably notwithstanding. 

I doubt that Prince: A - never listened to Michael, and B - never thought "Ooh, I really like what they did there"

Prince would have been great either way. I just don't know if Purple Rain would have sounded the same without records like Off The Wall and Thriller. 

On 6/6/2019 at 5:00 AM, Dolemite said:

Take, for instance, Kurt Cobain. He influenced an entire generation. Prince, not so much, so priceless is a word I wouldn't associate with Prince.

But, I never got the Beatles either, so what do I know. 

Prince shits all over Kurt Cobain in every aspect and it isn't even close.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I used to look down my nose at the Beatles, because growing it in the 80s, my parents listened to the oldies stations, and they played the corniest syrupy Beatles stuff - the early stuff.  Twist and Shout, Can’t Buy Me Love, etc.    Mention the Beatles to me, and that’s what I thought - the early stuff   

Back in the late 90s, dated a girl that was into the Beatles and Beach Boys,  we had a long road trip, and we alternated between my Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and Steely Dan, etc., and I listened to her Beatles (and some Beach Boys) stuff, and hearing the later Beatles albums....I had hear some of the later stuff before, but never in context, and I never really just listened.  I gained a new appreciation for them (and The Beach Boys), because like Floyd, Zep, etc., they really evolved their music over time.  Perhaps more than most.  

There’s so many bands that their albums all sound the same and they just don’t evolve.  It really sucks that the Beatles broke up just as Harrison was coming into his own.   Would have liked a few more albums out of them.   

• Like 3