Clark Griswold time!

Hawndoh

Made it to our campsite not too far from the sand dunes. Very windy at the moment, hopefully dies down a bit. 

Towing over Wolf Creek Pass was a new experience, but it all went all right. Still snow everywhere. Roads were totally fine though. 

Sand dunes were fun. Crashed the sand sled a few times but got the hang of it. The girls had a blast. 

Then they played in the snow melt creek for a while which was flowing pretty good. 

Other than some very strong winds shaking us around in the middle of the night it was a good time. 

Have two long travel days remaining and a couple of nights at Caprock Canyon back in Texas and it'll wrap up this trip. 

Hopefully get see some of the Bison. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Sand dunes were fun. Crashed the sand sled a few times but got the hang of it. The girls had a blast. 

Then they played in the snow melt creek for a while which was flowing pretty good. 

Other than some very strong winds shaking us around in the middle of the night it was a good time. 

Have two long travel days remaining and a couple of nights at Caprock Canyon back in Texas and it'll wrap up this trip. 

Hopefully get see some of the Bison. 

It's always windy down there.  Note the lack of tall trees.  

On 6/10/2019 at 1:48 PM, Hawndoh said:

Made it to our campsite not too far from the sand dunes. Very windy at the moment, hopefully dies down a bit. 

Towing over Wolf Creek Pass was a new experience, but it all went all right. Still snow everywhere. Roads were totally fine though. 

In all seriousness, your kids are going to remember this trip 40 years down the road just like I remember the huge road trips I took with my parents and brothers 40 years ago.  Moose out front shoulda told ya. 

This. I’m 29 and my parents took us on several cross country road trips. Every time I see them, we still talk about those trips and make Griswold jokes. Before each trip, we watched the griswold movies.

My wife never took these trips and it’s something I’ll take her on (and kids if we have them).

Enjoy the trips guys. Definitely worth it.

13 hours ago, hacker said:

Arches NP today.  Delicate Arch hike wiped the kids out but damn, what a view

2njf4g1.jpg

I sort of wish the park service would reserve like the first 10 minutes of every hour to keep people out from under there.  The pictures would look so much nicer without some random yukyuks from Indiana.

• Like 1

Caprock Canyon SP is pretty cool, nature wise. The facilities need some TLC. Dump station closed, toilet paper missing in the bathrooms, stuff like that. 

But we did see 25-30 Bison up close including quite a few calves. 

And the Canyon rock formations themselves are pretty good. 

Tons of flies though. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, hacker said:

Arches NP today.  Delicate Arch hike wiped the kids out but damn, what a view

2njf4g1.jpg

Did this trek today at 11:30.  Not for olds who overheat-will go earlier in the morning next stop at Bryce.  Well worth the experience and for our first trip to Utah, the experience is breathtakingly beautiful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pch said:

Did this trek today at 11:30.  Not for olds who overheat-will go earlier in the morning next stop at Bryce.  Well worth the experience and for our first trip to Utah, the experience is breathtakingly beautiful.

You'll enjoy the weather in Bryce almost as much as the beauty.  You won't overheat there.  For the olds, walking the Rim Trail from Bryce Point to to Sunset/Sunrise Points isn't difficult at all and provides some spectacular views.  The younger ones (and young at heart) can then venture down on some more adventurous trails.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great trip.

We drive to Crested Butte every summer, and this year we're leaving on Aug. 8th.

We don't tow anything, but we are packed in like sardines.  Wife in front, 3 boys (8, 5, 2) in the back seat, and a dog in the way back, along with a rooftop carrier on the Outback makes for a pretty funny picture.

We usually get there are quickly as possible so we can spend 7-8 full days in CB, but one of these years we're going to take a more scenic route and take our time.  The sand dunes, Palo Duro Canyon, Carlsbad Caverns...all things I want the kids to experience.  But not this year.  My kids have iron bladders and we make it to CB in one day with only 3 stops.