Banff National Park and surrounding areas

wild_turkey

Just got back from our first trip there. If you like the mountains and you have not been, do yourself a favor and book a trip asap. I love the Tetons and RMNP and I’m tempted to say Banff surpasses them in beauty. It felt like endless miles of massive snow-capped mountains with sheer cliff faces.

It’s incredibly easy to get there from Texas. Nonstop flights to Calgary from DFW and Houston are roughly 3 hours, then you rent a car and drive ~1.5 hours to Banff.

We visited Moraine Lake and Peyto Lake on a day when it was snowing. Did some light hiking.

qNBB2uW

qNBB2uWimgur>

Next day we went to Lake Louise and hiked Plain of Six Glaciers, Beehive, and Lake Agnes. Perhaps my favorite hike I’ve ever done. Roughly 10 miles total, 30% through snow, got to the end and drank a beer while watching avalanches fall all around the canyon.

hM9SZIA

hM9SZIAimgur>

rb3wm4U

rb3wm4Uimgur>

This was a quick trip so we did not have time to go to Yoho or Jasper, but we will certainly go back when we have a full week to spend.

Now it’s off to St. Barth. What a week.

Repost because imgr doesn’t work.

Just got back from our first trip there. If you like the mountains and you have not been, do yourself a favor and book a trip asap. I love the Tetons and RMNP and I’m tempted to say Banff surpasses them in beauty. It felt like endless miles of massive snow-capped mountains with sheer cliff faces.

It’s incredibly easy to get there from Texas. Nonstop flights to Calgary from DFW and Houston are roughly 3 hours, then you rent a car and drive ~1.5 hours to Banff.

We visited Moraine Lake and Peyto Lake on a day when it was snowing. Did some light hiking.

2e8d833d9e9b96b3481af75ea5f91fce.jpg
f839b1ea99bb6453f483372af0932674.jpg

Next day we went to Lake Louise and hiked Plain of Six Glaciers, Beehive, and Lake Agnes. Perhaps my favorite hike I’ve ever done. Roughly 10 miles total, 30% through snow, got to the end and drank a beer while watching avalanches fall all around the canyon.

8dc8287c053d10e7e48479471c9e744e.jpg
9f986087c6ee30a1a00741d39d1d82d9.jpg
bcbd1ef66f5d542214dda9f446ee95fa.jpg
404b521e6acdae98ff6ad1086303aaa5.jpg

This was a quick trip so we did not have time to go to Yoho or Jasper, but we will certainly go back when we have a full week to spend.

Now it’s off to St. Barth. What a week.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Looking at doing Calgary, Banff, and Jasper in early June and interested in doing some of the scenic hikes, such as the Beehive and Plain of Six Glaciers. Which areas are most likely to be open, and which do I need to avoid due to snow and ice?