St. Barth

wild_turkey

Oh and I saw you mentioned looking at Cheval Blanc or Le Toiny. If you go the hotel route, I personally think Cheval Blanc is the better choice of those two. It's a beautiful hotel on Flamands Beach which is surprisingly quiet but easy to get other places.

Le Toiny is a little more isolated so it would be a farther drive to get most places, plus the Le Toiny hotel is not directly on their beach so you have to ride in a shuttle to get down there. It's about a 5 minute ride but not walkable and that might get annoying to do on a daily basis. That said, the beach restaurant/bar area at Le Toiny is one of my favorite daytime hangouts on the island, so if you don't end up staying there, I think it's definitely worth a visit for lunch and then make an afternoon of it in some chairs at their beach.

We are staying at Hotel Christopher this time around. They don't even have a beach, but like Johnny Sack mentioned, you end up driving to lots of different beaches anyways. Christopher has a great pool with amazing views (see above), a great restaurant, and a nice spa.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Just a small fyi, St. Barth has been closed for travel since early February and there is no official word on when it will reopen. I don't think St. Barth has ever had much of a problem, but they are dependent on Guadeloupe and St. Martin for medical support and those islands have not fared as well. The decision comes from mainland France, so even though St. Barth wants to be open for tourism, they can't make that decision independently.

They are scheduled to receive vaccines on April 19 and there should be enough to cover everyone on the island that wants one. The expectation is for the island to reopen in late April or early May, which will once again be dependent on all travelers having a negative PCR test prior to arrival, unless they decide to make an exemption for vaccinated people sooner, which has also been rumored but not confirmed.

We are booked to be in St. Barth the first week of June. I'm optimistic it will actually happen.

Thanks, I’ve been monitoring. Hopefully it lifts in the near future. We aren’t set on memorial day, more of a desperation to take a nice trip in the near term. Appreciate the other feedback. 

Thanks, I’ve been monitoring. Hopefully it lifts in the near future. We aren’t set on memorial day, more of a desperation to take a nice trip in the near term. Appreciate the other feedback. 

I received this information today so it looks like you can safely schedule a trip as long as you have A) been vaccinated B) get a PCR test C) stay 7 nights or longer.

——————

It is now possible for travelers coming from North America to again vacation on St. Barth!

The criteria for entry is to be fully vaccinated (age 18+), AND provide a negative PCR Covid test taken 72 hours or less before arrival, and a confirmed reservation for a minimum of 7 nights – villa or hotel.

NOTE: Children under the age of 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement.

Entrance is subject to approval, and St. Barth Properties is pleased to manage the process for all our clients. Contact us for details and to book your stay. We look forward to welcoming you to St. Barth!

28 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I received this information today so it looks like you can safely schedule a trip as long as you have A) been vaccinated B) get a PCR test C) stay 7 nights or longer.

——————

It is now possible for travelers coming from North America to again vacation on St. Barth!

The criteria for entry is to be fully vaccinated (age 18+), AND provide a negative PCR Covid test taken 72 hours or less before arrival, and a confirmed reservation for a minimum of 7 nights – villa or hotel.

Entrance is subject to approval, and St. Barth Properties is pleased to manage the process for all our clients. Contact us for details and to book your stay. We look forward to welcoming you to St. Barth!

Thanks very much, I hadn’t seen that. 7 days seems like a lot; I was thinking 4 or 5 night. But maybe I’ll adjust. 

Don’t ride the ferry. Fly in and enjoy the flight.

If connecting through St. Martin, use St. Barth Commuter whenever possible. Winair is ok and has more flight availability, but Commuter is better. Also be careful in the SXM airport to listen for your flight announcement because both Commuter and Winair have been known to depart early if they have confirmation that all passengers have arrived in the airport.

If connecting through San Juan, Tradewind Aviation is your only option but they are great. They have their own security access point and lounge and their customer service is excellent.

16 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Don’t ride the ferry. Fly in and enjoy the flight.

If connecting through St. Martin, use St. Barth Commuter whenever possible. Winair is ok and has more flight availability, but Commuter is better. Also be careful in the SXM airport to listen for your flight announcement because both Commuter and Winair have been known to depart early if they have confirmation that all passengers have arrived in the airport.

If connecting through San Juan, Tradewind Aviation is your only option but they are great. They have their own security access point and lounge and their customer service is excellent.

Commuter is also about half the price of Winair.  You just have to book your flights earlier.  When the wife and I go, we do Tradewinds.  With the kids we do Commuter.  (Much cheaper).  But connecting in San Juan and flying direct into SBH is so convenient.  Customs just at SBH instead of the mess at SXM.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Commuter is also about half the price of Winair.  You just have to book your flights earlier.  When the wife and I go, we do Tradewinds.  With the kids we do Commuter.  (Much cheaper).  But connecting in San Juan and flying direct into SBH is so convenient.  Customs just at SBH instead of the mess at SXM.

Plus you never have to set foot on St. Maarten which is a bonus.  It's not my favorite island though it is close to two gems.  St. Barths and Anguilla.

I typically do DFW-SXM-SBH, but that’s because DFW-SJU is an evening flight that requires an overnight in Puerto Rico. I’d rather sleep in St. Barth.

But if you have good flight options into SJU, agree that connecting there and flying Tradewind is a great way to do it.

Although I think the approach to St. Barth is best experienced from the co-pilot seat on Commuter. You don’t get to do that on Tradewind or Winair as far as I know.

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I typically do DFW-SXM-SBH, but that’s because DFW-SJU is an evening flight that requires an overnight in Puerto Rico. I’d rather sleep in St. Barth.

But if you have good flight options into SJU, agree that connecting there and flying Tradewind is a great way to do it.

Although I think the approach to St. Barth is best experienced from the co-pilot seat on Commuter. You don’t get to do that on Tradewind or Winair as far as I know.

Winair uses two pilots in the Twin Otter, so the best you can do is look through the opening from the front row (which is still a nice view).  I've been the sole passenger on two Winair flights from St. Maarten to St. Barth, and it's pretty funny when the co-pilot just turns around to give you the safety briefing on a 19-seat plane.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 4:30 PM, wild_turkey said:

How long of a layover should I allot in SXM? Coming back, would an hour between Commuter landing at SXM and United flight taking off be sufficient? 

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

How long of a layover should I allot in SXM? Coming back, would an hour between Commuter landing at SXM and United flight taking off be sufficient? 

Yes.  Those commuter flights run like clock work.  You will be there on time.  I never check bags though.  And you shouldn't need to going to SBH as you don't need a whole lot of clothes there.

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes.  Those commuter flights run like clock work.  You will be there on time.  I never check bags though.  And you shouldn't need to going to SBH as you don't need a whole lot of clothes there.

Cool, thanks. We’re thinking about doing the below villa for a week starting memorial day

https://stbarth.com/villas/detail/mataj/matajagui

On 4/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, wild_turkey said:

——————

Fuck.... they still won't let me come back... gott damn criminal code.....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Cool, thanks. We’re thinking about doing the below villa for a week starting memorial day

https://stbarth.com/villas/detail/mataj/matajagui

That villa looks great and you'll be right next to Cheval Blanc if you want a nice lunch or the spa.

If you arrive on Memorial Day for a week, you'll overlap us by a few days.

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I recommend, we started doing our nice meals at lunch more than dinner.  So we can enjoy the views.  Especially at places that have great views like Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc (never eaten there), Santa Fe (my favorite), Le Gloriette (maybe closed), La Langouste, Nikki Beach, etc.  It saves money and we really, really enjoy not having to rush back after spending afternoon at beach to hurry up and get dressed and go out for dinner.  

So much more fun to turn on the tunes, let the kids swim in the pool, enjoy cocktails and cook dinner.  There is a fish market right at the western edge of Gustavia (on water in next to public parking across from Le Repaire).  And a good butcher over in by Marigot.

I usually go get some egg quiche and croissants at the bakery for breakfast, eat out for lunch, and dinner in.

On 4/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, VABuckeye said:

Plus you never have to set foot on St. Maarten which is a bonus.  It's not my favorite island though it is close to two gems.  St. Barths and Anguilla.

Give me the French side of St. Martin 10 times out of 10 before Anguilla.  Not a big fan of Anguilla.  Also agree about the Dutch side of SXM.

Edited by Chewbacca

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

One thing I recommend, we started doing our nice meals at lunch more than dinner.  So we can enjoy the views.  Especially at places that have great views like Eden Rock, Cheval Blanc (never eaten there), Santa Fe (my favorite), Le Gloriette (maybe closed), La Langouste, Nikki Beach, etc.  It saves money and we really, really enjoy not having to rush back after spending afternoon at beach to hurry up and get dressed and go out for dinner.  

So much more fun to turn on the tunes, let the kids swim in the pool, enjoy cocktails and cook dinner.  There is a fish market right at the western edge of Gustavia (on water in next to public parking across from Le Repaire).  And a good butcher over in by Marigot.

I usually go get some egg quiche and croissants at the bakery for breakfast, eat out for lunch, and dinner in.

Thanks, that sounds perfect.

You haven’t met Mrs. WT who strongly prefers big lunches AND big dinners. Thankfully St. Barth is super cheap or we’d go broke.

Typical lunch rotation - Shellona, Nikki, Cheval Blanc, Pearl Beach, Isoletta, Le Select, Sand Bar (Eden Rock), Mango (Christopher), Le Toiny

Typical dinner rotation - Bonito, Orega, Tamarin, Santa Fe, Carl Gustaf, Bagatelle, Isola, Le Ti, Eddy’s

My favorite lunch is a baguette, fruit, prosciutto, water, and rosé while sitting in the sand at Saline or Gouverneur. Then we pass out until 9 pm and then get ready for a big dinner.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

You haven’t met Mrs. WT who strongly prefers big lunches AND big dinners. Thankfully St. Barth is super cheap or we’d go broke.

Typical lunch rotation - Shellona, Nikki, Cheval Blanc, Pearl Beach, Isoletta, Le Select, Sand Bar (Eden Rock), Mango (Christopher), Le Toiny

Typical dinner rotation - Bonito, Orega, Tamarin, Santa Fe, Carl Gustaf, Bagatelle, Isola, Le Ti, Eddy’s

My favorite lunch is a baguette, fruit, prosciutto, water, and rosé while sitting in the sand at Saline or Gouverneur. Then we pass out until 9 pm and then get ready for a big dinner.

I always take our Central Market bag cooler (because it is so lightweight and takes up no space).  We do at least a couple picnic lunches just like that on those two beaches the most -- Gouverner is my favorite.  I don't use ice.  Just freeze water bottles so it does not make a mess.  Perfect for picnics (and keeps beer, wine and food cold).

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

Thankfully St. Barth is super cheap

Say what?  First time I've ever heard it called that.

Maybe the way you eat but if you're going to restaurants and paying for meals there it is not cheap.

Edited by VABuckeye

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The local jump hops on Anguilla are the bomb diggity though.

We've had several St Martin and Sint Maarten local tell us that the Anguilla beaches are way better than SXM.

I like SXM because I can get there and then I'm done.  Plus, it's cheap as fuck for me to stay there.

We're going there again for Christmas but I think we're going to do a 2 night stay in St Barths while we're there.  Fly over (the approach to the airport looks fun), rent a car and actually spend some time there.  We did a 1 day excursion several years back and enjoyed it, but that was it... 

We've had several St Martin and Sint Maarten local tell us that the Anguilla beaches are way better than SXM.
I like SXM because I can get there and then I'm done.  Plus, it's cheap as fuck for me to stay there.
We're going there again for Christmas but I think we're going to do a 2 night stay in St Barths while we're there.  Fly over (the approach to the airport looks fun), rent a car and actually spend some time there.  We did a 1 day excursion several years back and enjoyed it, but that was it... 
Beaches are amazing. 15 years ago, i used to work for a wealthy family. Think Johnny Sacks grandma wealthy. Global Express, yacht owning wealthy.

Anyway, we were trying to build a resort on Anguilla at Rendezvous Bay. Most beautiful beach I've ever been on. We had the landowners on board, architects, operators, contractors, etc. The design was done and all that was needed was for them to contribute the land so we could get the construction loan. At the last minute, the family that owned the land decided they could do it themselves. They pulled out, and demoed their hotel on the beach. As far as i know, they never did anything, but that experience soured me on the island. It would have been the nicest resort in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean is an insanely incestuous place. Lots of incompetence, too. Read the book Don't Stop the Carnival for more information.

Elvis' Beach Bar on Sandy Ground, Anguilla is one of my favorite beach bars in the Caribbean and it's on a great stretch of beach. 

Add in the Willy T on Norman Island, White Bay Jost van Dyke, Cow Wreck Beach Bar on Anegada, Sunshines on Nevis, Reggae Beach Bar on St. Kitts and Freedom in Paradise on Cozumel.  I could rotate between those places and while away my days.  Throw in the B-Line Beach Bar on Little Jost van Dyke as well.  You're almost always the only people there and it's still a blast.

Wondering if you guys see any flaws with the below? Trying to do a balance between lunches and dinners and not over planning. La Case doesn't seem to have anything available for lunch.

Over 7 days, with space to cook several nights and eat beach picnics several days. Any obvious misses?

Lunch:

Sante Fe, Toiny Beach Club, Eden Rock, maybe Nikki Beach

Dinner:

La Case, Tamarin, Bonito

Went in January right before the island shut down again - absolutely loved it. Stayed at a villa overlooking Anse des Cayes. Was a good location as a lot of our exploring was within a 10-15 minute car ride. If you have never been and are renting a car, get the smallest one available, it will make your life much easier with the size of the roads and parking spots. We were there for 5 days and tried to hit a different beach or two every day; they all have different vibes. 

Had dinners at Santa Fe, Eddies, and Bonito. Lunches at Shellona, Le Barthelemy hotel restaurant (forgetting the name), Sand Bar (restaurant at Eden Rock), and Le Select. Did picnic lunch at Gouvernour beach. I would do all of that again except substitute Sante Fe for a lunch due to the view is supposed to be amazing during the day and the fact that it was a dicey drive home after dinner (island hills + wine and the after dinner house rum + unfamiliar roads). Gouverneur beach was probably my favorite. Hit Shell Beach at sunset at least once, if you aren't feeling Shellona, you are free to byob.

Cannot wait to go back. 

50 minutes ago, Wasting Billables said:

Went in January right before the island shut down again - absolutely loved it. Stayed at a villa overlooking Anse des Cayes. Was a good location as a lot of our exploring was within a 10-15 minute car ride. If you have never been and are renting a car, get the smallest one available, it will make your life much easier with the size of the roads and parking spots. We were there for 5 days and tried to hit a different beach or two every day; they all have different vibes. 

Had dinners at Santa Fe, Eddies, and Bonito. Lunches at Shellona, Le Barthelemy hotel restaurant (forgetting the name), Sand Bar (restaurant at Eden Rock), and Le Select. Did picnic lunch at Gouvernour beach. I would do all of that again except substitute Sante Fe for a lunch due to the view is supposed to be amazing during the day and the fact that it was a dicey drive home after dinner (island hills + wine and the after dinner house rum + unfamiliar roads). Gouverneur beach was probably my favorite. Hit Shell Beach at sunset at least once, if you aren't feeling Shellona, you are free to byob.

Cannot wait to go back. 

Do you think a Jeep is too big and annoying? I hate to be a typical American, but the mini-cooper option seemed...not my style.

Do you think a Jeep is too big and annoying? I hate to be a typical American, but the mini-cooper option seemed...not my style.

I’ve done both the Jeep and the Mini Cooper and I would pick the Mini Cooper every time. It’s smaller and much easier to drive and park on their narrow roads. If you’re already locked into the Jeep I wouldn’t sweat it, but if you have the ability to switch, it might make things easier for you.

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve done both the Jeep and the Mini Cooper and I would pick the Mini Cooper every time. It’s smaller and much easier to drive and park on their narrow roads. If you’re already locked into the Jeep I wouldn’t sweat it, but if you have the ability to switch, it might make things easier for you.

Yep agree. The jeep is on the edge of almost being too big. You will appreciate a smaller car once you see parking and the blind turns up and down hills. 

Wondering if you guys see any flaws with the below? Trying to do a balance between lunches and dinners and not over planning. La Case doesn't seem to have anything available for lunch.
Over 7 days, with space to cook several nights and eat beach picnics several days. Any obvious misses?
Lunch:
Sante Fe, Toiny Beach Club, Eden Rock, maybe Nikki Beach
Dinner:
La Case, Tamarin, Bonito

I think La Case should have lunch availability. Not sure where you are looking but I would be surprised if they are completely booked, given that it’s super low season with the island being officially closed right now.

Toiny Beach club is closed unfortunately. Well, Le Toiny hotel is closed until October, so I assume the beach club is as well. If you find out otherwise, please report back.

Nikki Beach is good and fun. Sunday is their big day so I would suggest going then. They have 2 seatings at ?12:30 and 3:00, and it’s never too early to try to get a table.

Tamarin and Bonito are excellent dinner choices and we never go to St. Barth without them. I would also put Orega on that list if you need another dinner.

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

I think La Case should have lunch availability. Not sure where you are looking but I would be surprised if they are completely booked, given that it’s super low season with the island being officially closed right now.

Toiny Beach club is closed unfortunately. Well, Le Toiny hotel is closed until October, so I assume the beach club is as well. If you find out otherwise, please report back.

Nikki Beach is good and fun. Sunday is their big day so I would suggest going then. They have 2 seatings at ?12:30 and 3:00, and it’s never too early to try to get a table.

Tamarin and Bonito are excellent dinner choices and we never go to St. Barth without them. I would also put Orega on that list if you need another dinner.

Thanks man. Maybe I'm looking at something wrong on La Case, but when I go to their reservation website I don't see anything from May 31 - June 7 before 19:00. I may just ask our concierge.

I emailed Le Toiny yesterday, so I guess they just won't respond. Thanks for the heads up.  

On 5/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks man. Maybe I'm looking at something wrong on La Case, but when I go to their reservation website I don't see anything from May 31 - June 7 before 19:00. I may just ask our concierge.

I figured out the disconnect. Cheval Blanc has 2 restaurants - La Case is the more formal dinner restaurant, La Cabane is the less formal beachside restaurant for lunch. Our concierge booked us a table at La Cabane for lunch. We've never eaten at La Case but I'm curious to get your feedback if you decide to go there.

39 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I figured out the disconnect. Cheval Blanc has 2 restaurants - La Case is the more formal dinner restaurant, La Cabane is the less formal beachside restaurant for lunch. Our concierge booked us a table at La Cabane for lunch. We've never eaten at La Case but I'm curious to get your feedback if you decide to go there.

Ah, got it. I'm still waiting for confirmation from our concierge. So far I have lunch at Santa Fe and Sunday at Nikki Beach booked, and Bonito booked for the first night dinner. I think I still need to find slots for Eden Rock, Tamarin and La Case/Cabane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Ah, got it. I'm still waiting for confirmation from our concierge. So far I have lunch at Santa Fe and Sunday at Nikki Beach booked, and Bonito booked for the first night dinner. I think I still need to find slots for Eden Rock, Tamarin and La Case/Cabane. 

I like all those spots.  And I love Santa Fe for lunch.  My favorite restaurant view on the island.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Edit: changed hotel to Hotel Barrière Le Carl. I guess we have a view of the bay, which looks cool. I thought I wanted to be on the beach, but after reading this thread and talking to some other people who go regularly, it looks like we were going to be faaaaaarrrr from everything (at least by St Barth standards). So, I guess we're staying in town. I mean, god forbid I actually research and do my homework before I book. No worries though all changed.

@wild_turkey @Johnny Sack @ChiTownDoc and others...what else do I need to know?

Do I need a reservation everywhere we go or can we just wing it every day? Do I really need to rent a car or can we hire a driver to take us places? I know they don't have uber or whatever, but is there an island equivalent?

I hate driving...especially after a few drinks...in a foreign place...especially at night.

What else?

Lando,

The island is small.  And from where you are staying, the Old Carl Gustaf, you are very centrally located.  That is a beautiful property.  I have never stayed there, but have enjoyed many evening cocktails at their bar. It is up a hill, so you will have good views.

St. Barth is a place you really don't spend a lot of time at the hotel or resort.  It is a small island with 20+ beaches.  So the typical day would be wake up, have breakfast, go to a beach some where there are maybe 10-20 other people on, either picnic on beach for lunch or got to a restaurant, go back to a different beach in the afternoon, come back and swim, get ready for dinner, go to dinner, come back and screw/sleep.

St. Barth is not a place to go if you need casinos, golf, or shit like zip lining.  It is a small, beautiful island with beautiful people.  There are a handful of beaches that have bars on the sand (actually now I think it is 4 -- St. Jean, Shell, Lorient (Eden Rock put something there recently), and Gran Cul De Sac.  St. Jean has 3 or 4 now.  Nikki Beach is my favorite.  You can go there for lunch and it starts off tame.  The music steadily gets louder as the afternoon progresses and people get drunker.  Or you can go to Saline, Gouverneur, or Colombier where you can find a spot where no one will be near you for 100-200 yards.

You will need a car.  They aren't expensive.  And driving is fun there.  You will learn the island quickly.  It is so small.

Weather is perfect early December. No chance for hurricanes.  And that is the low season price wise.  If you go from Mid December to Mid January, that is silly season.  Prices on accommodations are 5x more and the island is crowded with regular people and all the celebs. You avoided that.

My favorite restaurants are Santa Fe, Eden Rock, Eddys, Le Tamarin, La Grain De Sel, Bonito, Le Gaiec (at Le Toiny), Shellona, Le Repaire, Mayas, and La Langouste.  Again, Nikki Beach is a great afternoon place to eat and drink.  Especially on Sunday.  Sand Bar for lunch at Eden Rock is fantastic.  Do it at least once.

If it is just the two of you, try and book early on one of the cheaper flights on Tradewinds from San Juan to St. Barth.  They fly you in on a Pilatus and it is almost like flying private.  I only do that if it is me and the wife, because it is more expensive than going through St. Marteen.  But much less of a hassle. Only customs you have to wait for is in St. Barth, which is a joke and takes two seconds.  Saint Marteen can be a big delay and the airport is in a tent right now due to hurricane Maria.  I think the building is supposed to open soon.  But flying to San Juan and taking a tradewinds flight is so much quicker and easier.  Otherwise you have to get up early, fly from Houston or Dallas to Charlotte or Miami, then connect to St. Marteen, then take another flight or boat to St. Barth.

If you fly to St. Marteen, try and book early through St. Barth Commuter.  It is much cheaper and much better than the other air option -- Winair.  Or you can take the Voyager Express.  It is cheaper than both but takes 45 minutes instead of 10 and the schedule isn't as good (the airplanes leave every 20 minutes or so).  The flight into St Barth is fun.

Rent a boat one day.  It is not that much.  We use Jicky Marine and rent a center console inflatable.  Boating around the island with a cold Presidente and the music going is fun and there is a small island 10 minutes away by boat that has a cool beach and you will likely be the only one there.  You can also go to Colombier, which is an awesome beach that you otherwise half to hike 30 minutes to, and just hook up to a mooring ball.

I have been to a lot of places in the Caribe.  St. Barth is my favorite. The people are great.  And you don't have a lot of the riff raff other islands have with the cruise ship crowds.   And given the island's demographics and wealth, it has come back from Maria much faster than anywhere else.  I was there just two months after Maria and they had most of it cleaned up.  It's back to normal now.

Enjoy your trip and have safe travels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Edit: changed hotel to Hotel Barrière Le Carl. I guess we have a view of the bay, which looks cool. I thought I wanted to be on the beach, but after reading this thread and talking to some other people who go regularly, it looks like we were going to be faaaaaarrrr from everything (at least by St Barth standards). So, I guess we're staying in town. I mean, god forbid I actually research and do my homework before I book. No worries though all changed.

@wild_turkey @Johnny Sack @ChiTownDoc and others...what else do I need to know?

Do I need a reservation everywhere we go or can we just wing it every day? Do I really need to rent a car or can we hire a driver to take us places? I know they don't have uber or whatever, but is there an island equivalent?

I hate driving...especially after a few drinks...in a foreign place...especially at night.

What else?

We may do our birthdays there in March with our group but in the past I’ve only been between Christmas and first week of January.  It’s a total shitshow and I don’t remember much.  Just some incredible talent and expensive as all hell.  But yes, I want a more ‘normal’ trip there so let me know how it goes.  Johnny covered things pretty well in the post above.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We may do our birthdays there in March with our group but in the past I’ve only been between Christmas and first week of January.  It’s a total shitshow and I don’t remember much.  Just some incredible talent and expensive as all hell.  But yes, I want a more ‘normal’ trip there so let me know how it goes.  Johnny covered things pretty well in the post above.  

The villa I rent in November is like $5k a week.  I think it is something like $40k a week for that holiday week.  Little out of my range.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The villa I rent in November is like $5k a week.  I think it is something like $40k a week for that holiday week.  Little out of my range.

Yeah I want to do March chill and proper.  Have done New Years 3-4x and it was absurd but imo worth it.  Really nothing like that place for a scene.  

• Like 1

Sack summed it up well. He and WT are great resources. 

I don’t really like beach vacations or more than 2 days or so in the Caribbean, but my wife does so I have to accommodate once a year or so (have been here, Turks a few times, Barbados, etc). I spent a week in a rental villa in St Barths this past May, and it is absolutely dope. I can’t wait to go back. It reminds me more of being in the south of France than the Caribbean. The food is excellent, the people are hot, the driving is fun, and the French wine pours like water.

The local grocery has excellent French deli items, and one of my favorite days was packing a picnic and wine, hiking to the Columbier beach, and just chilling and swimming all day. Another was lunch at Sante Fe followed by Govournor’s beach. Our favorite dinner was La Case. Sunday at Nikki Beach not my scene (it was like being in East Hampton for peak Real Housewives summer season), but it did provide for some funny people watching. 

Have fun and report back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Lando,

The island is small.  And from where you are staying, the Old Carl Gustaf, you are very centrally located.  That is a beautiful property.  I have never stayed there, but have enjoyed many evening cocktails at their bar. It is up a hill, so you will have good views.

St. Barth is a place you really don't spend a lot of time at the hotel or resort.  It is a small island with 20+ beaches.  So the typical day would be wake up, have breakfast, go to a beach some where there are maybe 10-20 other people on, either picnic on beach for lunch or got to a restaurant, go back to a different beach in the afternoon, come back and swim, get ready for dinner, go to dinner, come back and screw/sleep.

All good to hear. Initially thought we wouldn't want to be right in town as we had set out to do more of a typical Caribbean beach trip. But, we've always wanted to check out St Barth, and person after person has told us exactly what you're saying, so we feel like we'd be pretty stupid to ignore everyone's advice. I don't generally like French people or French food (I like their fashion, architecture and some aspects of their overall culture), so not really sure what the hell I'm thinking. But I'm sure I'll adjust and adapt.

Resort looks pretty great. There's no pool, but apparently we have a private plunge pool at our bungalow so that'll be fine I'm guessing. Plus Shell beach is supposedly a 3 minute walk with Shellona being part of our resort, so that all sounds pretty good.

St. Barth is not a place to go if you need casinos, golf, or shit like zip lining.  It is a small, beautiful island with beautiful people.  There are a handful of beaches that have bars on the sand (actually now I think it is 4 -- St. Jean, Shell, Lorient (Eden Rock put something there recently), and Gran Cul De Sac.  St. Jean has 3 or 4 now.  Nikki Beach is my favorite.  You can go there for lunch and it starts off tame.  The music steadily gets louder as the afternoon progresses and people get drunker.  Or you can go to Saline, Gouverneur, or Colombier where you can find a spot where no one will be near you for 100-200 yards.

Got a good little list of recs started. We'll get some of these into the rotation for sure.

You will need a car.  They aren't expensive.  And driving is fun there.  You will learn the island quickly.  It is so small.

I guess I better listen to everyone on this too. I don't love driving. We uber or get a driver or take the house car just about everywhere we go when going out and/or traveling like this, especially if we're drinking. But again, person after person says we need to get a car, so I don't want to be stupid and ignore that. I hate when people ask for all sorts of travel advice, and people tell them and they completely ignore it all then wonder why it wasn't very good. So, need to heed my own advice. I'm assuming we can valet just about everywhere?

Weather is perfect early December. No chance for hurricanes.  And that is the low season price wise.  If you go from Mid December to Mid January, that is silly season.  Prices on accommodations are 5x more and the island is crowded with regular people and all the celebs. You avoided that.

My favorite restaurants are Santa Fe, Eden Rock, Eddys, Le Tamarin, La Grain De Sel, Bonito, Le Gaiec (at Le Toiny), Shellona, Le Repaire, Mayas, and La Langouste.  Again, Nikki Beach is a great afternoon place to eat and drink.  Especially on Sunday.  Sand Bar for lunch at Eden Rock is fantastic.  Do it at least once.

Our actual dates are Dec 6 - 13 so hoping we are there just before it starts getting too crowded. Couple days of overlap maybe? Got a good list of restaurant recommendations going. Will make sure these are all included and try to work most/all of them in. Is it best to just have hotel concierge get us all our reservations or should we try to do them one-by-one on our own?

If it is just the two of you, try and book early on one of the cheaper flights on Tradewinds from San Juan to St. Barth.  They fly you in on a Pilatus and it is almost like flying private.  I only do that if it is me and the wife, because it is more expensive than going through St. Marteen.  But much less of a hassle. Only customs you have to wait for is in St. Barth, which is a joke and takes two seconds.  Saint Marteen can be a big delay and the airport is in a tent right now due to hurricane Maria.  I think the building is supposed to open soon.  But flying to San Juan and taking a tradewinds flight is so much quicker and easier.  Otherwise you have to get up early, fly from Houston or Dallas to Charlotte or Miami, then connect to St. Marteen, then take another flight or boat to St. Barth.

If you fly to St. Marteen, try and book early through St. Barth Commuter.  It is much cheaper and much better than the other air option -- Winair.  Or you can take the Voyager Express.  It is cheaper than both but takes 45 minutes instead of 10 and the schedule isn't as good (the airplanes leave every 20 minutes or so).  The flight into St Barth is fun.

It's just wife and me and we are all set on this. Tradewinds from San Juan it is.

Rent a boat one day.  It is not that much.  We use Jicky Marine and rent a center console inflatable.  Boating around the island with a cold Presidente and the music going is fun and there is a small island 10 minutes away by boat that has a cool beach and you will likely be the only one there.  You can also go to Colombier, which is an awesome beach that you otherwise half to hike 30 minutes to, and just hook up to a mooring ball.

Pretty sure we're doing a day charter on a VanDutch with a captain (recommended by some other friends or ours). Feels about the right speed for our first trip. What you're describing does sound cool though. Probably need to table that for the next time we go though as I don't want to dedicate 2 of our days to boating.

I have been to a lot of places in the Caribe.  St. Barth is my favorite. The people are great.  And you don't have a lot of the riff raff other islands have with the cruise ship crowds.   And given the island's demographics and wealth, it has come back from Maria much faster than anywhere else.  I was there just two months after Maria and they had most of it cleaned up.  It's back to normal now.

Enjoy your trip and have safe travels.

Thanks, Johnny. Appreciate your time and well thought out response. I'll report back. And please give Ginny our love.

48 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I guess I better listen to everyone on this too. I don't love driving. We uber or get a driver or take the house car just about everywhere we go when going out and/or traveling like this, especially if we're drinking. But again, person after person says we need to get a car, so I don't want to be stupid and ignore that. I hate when people ask for all sorts of travel advice, and people tell them and they completely ignore it all then wonder why it wasn't very good. So, need to heed my own advice. I'm assuming we can valet just about everywhere?

Get a convertible mini-cooper. You’ll be thankful for the small car to zip around the tiny and hilly roads, and the weather and views with the top down are awesome. You can valet at some but not all restaurants. I didn’t find parking too difficult with a small car.