2019 Houston Mayoral Race

Pancho

16 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Driving a tank on a residential street should signal to a reasonably intelligent voter that you aren't cut out for public service.

He only parked it there though. 

Heres all you need to know. Big time aggy booster. Texags refers to him as uncle buzz when they start discussing what “needs to be done” to “win” recruits.   

• 4 weeks later...

Boykins is a plant to draw black votes away from Turner

Just like HFD put up Sue Lovell to try and draw votes away from Turner. Buzbee immediately released a statement praising her fight for HFD. 

Buzbee + HFD are on the warpath against Turner.  Just waiting for Buzbee to ride his tank down Allen Parkway. 

Petition to rename thread to: 2019 Houston Mayoral Race @immamac

On 7/2/2019 at 7:46 AM, Js1 said:

Boykins is a plant to draw black votes away from Turner

ding, ding, ding >>>>> 'He listed former Houston mayor Lee P. Brown as his campaign treasurer.'

brown and turner are not on friendly terms 

• 2 months later...

Boy, these dueling neg attack ads by both Turner and Buzbee are a fucking hoot. 

Buzbee's ad: MURDER, MURDER, MURDER, MURDER, MURDER IN HOUSTON *whispers at the end* "we need Tony Buzbee"

My question: "To do what exactly?"

Turner's ad: BUZBEE IS TRUMP! HE ADMITTED HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE MAYOR BECUZ HE RICH!"

My question: "What are his policies that you're against?"

There was a Buzbee representative with a setup at the National Night Out event last night in my Montrose neighborhood. She was there for about 45 minutes and left - not one person talked to her.

Buzbee will be getting votes from Kingwood, Memorial, and River Oaks. Basically the Trump votes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seeing old Houston acquaintances posting mayoral stuff on their FB feed.

The overlay between the redneck/racist/Trumpkin demographic and the Buzbee demographic is a perfect 1:1 ratio.

Turner will win. He’s up 20 points in run off polls. 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Turner will win. He’s up 20 points in run off polls. 

i got polled.  took 15 minutes and they asked a boat load of questions about how i thought of things after reading a paragraph of text to me.  accidentally answered the call when pulling my phone out of my pocket to dismiss the unknown caller. 

i also get a shit ton of text spam asking me to vote for so and so. seems to be from the firefighters' union. 

i'm in district C and don't see a whole lot of daylight between the two candidates, other than the one seems to have a shit load of money behind her (relatively speaking). 

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seeing old Houston acquaintances posting mayoral stuff on their FB feed.

The overlay between the redneck/racist/Trumpkin demographic and the Buzbee demographic is a perfect 1:1 ratio.

In all of the FB posts from Buzbee supporters, I can't see anyone post to any real issues with Turner. Yeah he has the odd situation where he gave a guy a 100K intern job but is giving someone with a grad degree a 100K job all that scandalous?  Many major cities would consider that the scandal of the day not the worst one.

5 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i got polled.  took 15 minutes and they asked a boat load of questions about how i thought of things after reading a paragraph of text to me.  accidentally answered the call when pulling my phone out of my pocket to dismiss the unknown caller. 

i also get a shit ton of text spam asking me to vote for so and so. seems to be from the firefighters' union. 

i'm in district C and don't see a whole lot of daylight between the two candidates, other than the one seems to have a shit load of money behind her (relatively speaking). 

I voted Kamin but to be honest I'm not sure there is much of a difference between her and Kennedy in terms of issues. If someone ran on a platform of helping with traffic problems, I would have donated money.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

He could have put that money to much better use in the community and been a Houston legend 

You're not kidding. The city has had to pull quite a bit of money out of their general fund for Harvey restoration if I understand correctly, leaving money for other programs that go beyond basic services in poor shape. Stepping in to help out the neediest community areas with $3 million would be great.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
correction and addition

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Why does everyone hate the firefighters?

No one hates them.   However they pushed a questionable law onto the ballot giving them a large raise. Turner plainly stated that if passed, he would need to lay off city workers across the board in order to cover the budget shortfall. Once passed, and the layoffs started, the fire fighters were pissed that turner did exactly what he said he would do.

• Like 1

Yep. The fire fighters decided to use the same tactics in this election that they did with their raise by assuming that voters will do whatever the hero fire fighters tell them to do.

i will give them props that they spent a very large amount of their free time trying to kick out turner in this election. Which is 100% their right.

It will be interesting to see if they continue this level of effort in 2023 when turner is out because of term limits. If managed correctly they might be able to get their candidate to win.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yep. The fire fighters decided to use the same tactics in this election that they did with their raise by assuming that voters will do whatever the hero fire fighters tell them to do.

i will give them props that they spent a very large amount of their free time trying to kick out turner in this election. Which is 100% their right.

It will be interesting to see if they continue this level of effort in 2023 when turner is out because of term limits. If managed correctly they might be able to get their candidate to win.

problem is Houston can’t afford what they’re selling

lol like any of us will still be alive in 2023
  • Like 1

Can someone provide a nonpartisan history of the deal with the pension/retirement? It has been over a year so I might be misremembering what I was told, but a non-Trump conservative told me the firefighters had their money invested separately than all other Houston public employees, including the police, and it did much better. Out of cost savings, spite for private retirement investment, whatever, Turner et al. either cut HFD’s other benefits or reduced/postponed raises in the name of spreading the money around, which from the firefighters’ POV was incredibly unfair. That affair is what precipitated the raise vote and was one of the motivators for this race against Turner.